Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Did....did TOS and Voyager just leave Netflix?

e: oh sweet, reply 90,000. Star Trek: Enterprise was affected, too.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

all trek was scheduled to leave netflix in most regions to be consolidated onto paramount+ as of october 1. not the UK though afaik, so you can still vpn there for it. a bunch of regions lost the rights to it that dont have access to paramount+ though so lol, congrats on the further pushing of people to piracy due to stupid copyright law

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, that sucks for me, a guy who watches three, maybe four Star Treks a year when I've got an hour to kill.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

all trek was scheduled to leave netflix in most regions to be consolidated onto paramount+ as of october 1. not the UK though afaik, so you can still vpn there for it. a bunch of regions lost the rights to it that dont have access to paramount+ though so lol, congrats on the further pushing of people to piracy due to stupid copyright law

It’s still on Netflix in Canada too.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i hadnt even bothered checking my netflix lol, i have the, uhh...uhhhhh...... home release dvds all on my computer already

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paper Lion posted:

I thought in the US it was just Voyager, TOS, and Enterprise that left?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont know, my american friend i have been showing ds9 saw the news and was freaking out about how we finally have to finish season 7 (were just about to watch its only a paper moon too...........) and then promptly vanished for all of september, so i was working under that assumption.

idk why we so cagey about it. idgi. gently caress mickey mouse. this poo poo should be public domain

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Edward Mass posted:

Did....did TOS and Voyager just leave Netflix?

e: oh sweet, reply 90,000. Star Trek: Enterprise was affected, too.

:smith: out with the old in with the new

caption: Scott Bakula Appreciator and Seinfeld Fan reacting to netflix programming changes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPthih3uL5g

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In am excellent example of "streaming companies will never learn" apparently Seinfeld is being shown in widescreen which, like the Simpsons, results in entire joke setups being cut-off (the example I saw on Twitter is an entire episode called "the Pothole" in which the titular hole is cut off entirely)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In am excellent example of "streaming companies will never learn" apparently Seinfeld is being shown in widescreen which, like the Simpsons, results in entire joke setups being cut-off (the example I saw on Twitter is an entire episode called "the Pothole" in which the titular hole is cut off entirely)
Unbelievable

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Netflix: these zoomers will think their browser is broken if they see black bars, quickly, destroy 25% of hte image

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gormless goblin posted:

Netflix: these zoomers will think their browser is broken if they see black bars, quickly, destroy 25% of hte image

Back in the days of VHS, I worked at a video rental place, and I had to explain letterbox format to an astounding number of people. Some of them just never got it, even if I drew them a drat diagram.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix can only show what Sony gives them. Sony remastered the show in 16:9, that's what they have to stream.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's why I like Zack Snyder, he calls up Warner Bros and says "You're streaming my movie in 3:4 you pieces of poo poo!" Forces them to put up a message at the beginning saying "The bars are here on purpose"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Netflix can only show what Sony gives them. Sony remastered the show in 16:9, that's what they have to stream.

Weren't they able to fix this with the Simpsons though?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think the Disney+ client probably was just set up only for widescreen aspect ratio and nobody bothered to fix the client or video file so it would display the Simpsons correctly.

While it might be a similar situation for Netflix, Sony could have done the remaster in widescreen aspect ratio, ignoring the fact that it was meant for 4:3. I wonder if there will be things showing up in the shot that were never meant to be seen too. Its a fairly common problem when something's aspect ratio is changed for a remaster.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 1, 2021

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The widescreen Buffy episodes are the worst I've ever seen for this. People are constantly heard speaking when their mouths aren't moving because they weren't meant to be in the shot, boom mics and crew members, special effects only being applied to 4x3 while the rest of of the picture is 16x9... Yikes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

LividLiquid posted:

The widescreen Buffy episodes are the worst I've ever seen for this. People are constantly heard speaking when their mouths aren't moving because they weren't meant to be in the shot, boom mics and crew members, special effects only being applied to 4x3 while the rest of of the picture is 16x9... Yikes.

My favourite thing about that terrible Buffy remaster is how often the scenes are ruined by carelessly changing the colour grading, making night scenes look like daylight. Which is a problem for things like, oh, vampires.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Simpsons wasn't remastered. The SD episodes exist in 4:3 so all they had to do was show them

When Sony went back and scanned the original film elements and re-edited the episodes (similar to how TNG remaster was done), the master that was created was framed 16:9. It can't be corrected without going back and redoing the masters.

Sony surmised (probably correctly) that they would get more money from having a 16:9 show to sell into syndication than a 4:3 one.

In Seinfeld's case, it's less a full crop than a reframe. There was additional information in the sides that got added in and less was cropped from the top and bottom than would normally be when cropping a 4:3 show. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but yeah, in the cases of that episode they can't have the pothole in without cropping the actors.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the Disney+ client probably was just set up only for widescreen aspect ratio and nobody bothered to fix the client or video file so it would display the Simpsons correctly.

While it might be a similar situation for Netflix, Sony could have done the remaster in widescreen aspect ratio, ignoring the fact that it was meant for 4:3. I wonder if there will be things showing up in the shot that were never meant to be seen too. Its a fairly common problem when something's aspect ratio is changed for a remaster.

I mean, DS9 was absolutely still in 4:3 on netflix, as were more than a few older movies/shows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

On HBOMax, late series Venture Bros episodes have a brief ACT II flash up where the commercial break would have gone.

I find this in error but also delightful.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hate the basic concept of Malcom's character. He refuses to have any character development unless the whole episode is about forcibly dragging it out of him, and then at the end of the day, his thoughts and opinions are that he just really likes his job as a weapons guy and doesn't think that there should be any character development or dramatic contrivances. Seems like a waste of space on the show when they could've had somebody interesting in his place or focus more on somebody interesting instead like the space man.

I choose to believe that the Tellarites being involved offscreen just solving plots with a couple messages means that the reason they're not shown much in the rest of Star Trek because they'd just solve too many problems and there wouldn't be any plots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I hate the basic concept of Malcom's character. He refuses to have any character development unless the whole episode is about forcibly dragging it out of him, and then at the end of the day, his thoughts and opinions are that he just really likes his job as a weapons guy and doesn't think that there should be any character development or dramatic contrivances. Seems like a waste of space on the show when they could've had somebody interesting in his place or focus more on somebody interesting instead like the space man.

I choose to believe that the Tellarites being involved offscreen just solving plots with a couple messages means that the reason they're not shown much in the rest of Star Trek because they'd just solve too many problems and there wouldn't be any plots.

Malcolm only gets interesting for like three episodes in Season 4 and it comes part and parcel with the start of Trek's unfortunate trend of dredging up Section 31 every time they run out of ideas.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

But that one time where he likes pinabble bat hergabnalsb ellergic hbalgbnas

They really ran out of character arcs at the end of that era.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

punishedkissinger posted:

voyager has the worst technobabble out of any trek. (Haven't watched Picard)

It also easily has the highest proportion of episodes whose main plot could be solved in a split second by the transporter or some other common Trek technology, but it's never working for reasons. I kind of feel like most Trek tropes wouldn't really be tropes without Voyager, because it just leaned on them so much more heavily than TNG or DS9.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its worth noting that the actor that played malcom loving hated his role because they gave him literally nothing to do, and there are theories that the harder he pushed for them to give malcom anything (the biggest one was that he wanted malcom to be gay which lol not on braga's watch) the more they gave him shittier and shittier plots on purpose. the actor is a cool dude and he does his best with the very little he gets, but him and mayweather and hoshi are huge dropped balls

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Paper Lion posted:

huge dropped balls

If I were more clever I'd put a good tag on this joke but I at least want you to know I appreciated it

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paradoxish posted:

It also easily has the highest proportion of episodes whose main plot could be solved in a split second by the transporter or some other common Trek technology, but it's never working for reasons. I kind of feel like most Trek tropes wouldn't really be tropes without Voyager, because it just leaned on them so much more heavily than TNG or DS9.
Going back to a couple of Voyager issues raised upthread, I rewatched 'Dragons' Teeth' and there are minutes at a time which are supposed to be exciting but fall utterly flat because so much of it is "the [TECH] isn't working! [Pushes buttons] Now it is."

[Four seconds of Foundation Imaging's work]
"Captain, 17 Vaduuar ships are closing!"
[Everyone shakes]
"Shields at 82 percent."
"Tom, take us into the thickest radiogenic cloud."
[Everyone shakes]
"Shields at 60 percent."
[Beeping noise]
"Hull breach on deck 7!"
"Seal off that section."
"Captain, we're entering the radiogenic cloud."
"The Vaduuar are still pursuing - but their shields are weakening."
[Everyone shakes]
"Shields at 40 percent."
[Flash of sparks]
"Captain! The EPS matrix is fluctuating!"
"Compensate!"
"On it... I need to divert power from the gyrodyne relays."
"Do it."
[Beeping]
"Working... EPS matrix stabilised."
[Everyone shakes]
"Aft shields down to 12 percent."
Etc, etc.

This kind of thing would fill probably two pages of script with almost zero effort to write (I just made it up as I went), but because it's just filler - there are no stakes; we know Voyager won't be destroyed or anyone we know hurt - it's boring as hell. There isn't even any variety, as we don't cut to Engineering to see Torres battling to keep the engines online or anything, so it's just people on the bridge barking expository lines at each other like they're in a 1930s radio play.

(And I bet you can picture exactly who's saying each line above.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I could hear it in the actors' voices.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

Simpsons wasn't remastered. The SD episodes exist in 4:3 so all they had to do was show them

When Sony went back and scanned the original film elements and re-edited the episodes (similar to how TNG remaster was done), the master that was created was framed 16:9. It can't be corrected without going back and redoing the masters.

Sony surmised (probably correctly) that they would get more money from having a 16:9 show to sell into syndication than a 4:3 one.

In Seinfeld's case, it's less a full crop than a reframe. There was additional information in the sides that got added in and less was cropped from the top and bottom than would normally be when cropping a 4:3 show. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but yeah, in the cases of that episode they can't have the pothole in without cropping the actors.

It honestly doesn't bother me. The remaster looks quite good in Seinfeld's case and that pothole is the only one I've seen where a joke gets cut off. And even that doesn't really bother me because I think of other Seinfeld episodes where they keep referring to things that are just off screen the entire time. Usually for obvious reasons they are off screen, like "The contest" woman across the street or "He took it out" but the naked woman or the guy pulling out his dick are not the funny part, neither is the pothole. The funny part is the characters reacting to it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, at the end of the day Seinfeld was a multi-cam sitcom and you can't convince me that a ton of time was spent framing each scene.

Also, most of that pothole wouldn't have been visible on screens at the time because the default over-scan on most TVs was like 3-5% anyways. There's a whole lot less cropped vs how people originally saw them than most people realize.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It drives me nuts when a character tells the captain something is happening, the captain says FIX IT and then the character fixes it. What was the Captain's role?

"Bypass the rela--WAIT a minute B'Elanna just said the EMS relay is fried, my bad, uh let's brainstorm a different solution"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Part of that is just protocol and making sure the captain is situationally aware. Remember the Benzite exchange officer who wasn't going to report the anomaly on the ship's hull until he had more complete information to report.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Almost all of the vocalizing on the bridge is supposed to be acknowledging instructions or making instructions known to everyone else.

If I'm trying to figure out why the shields are failing, it might be important to know that the EPS manifold is overloaded instead of trying to troubleshoot it without that knowledge. By the ops guy yelling that they're overloaded and the captain has acknowledged it and issued commands to repair it, I can focus elsewhere.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its like you people have never done bridge simulator before

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

punishedkissinger posted:

its like you people have never done bridge simulator before

the most important part of playing bridge crew when being the captain or helm officer was making sure to say "mark" and random numbers whenever changing heading

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What was the name of that Trek like game where a group of people each individually man a separate console / computer and control systems like weapons / navigation while some guy plays the captain and super fun is had by all (or not)?

Think it had support for PC / Mac and Linux maybe later on and it was server-based and YouTube was full of videos of awkward idiots struggling to bring their forward tubes to bear and poo poo..

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Artemis Bridge Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've played the poo poo out of it and it's glorious. The most fun you and a bunch of fun-loving dorks can have after a few drinks without taking your clothes off or leaving your house.