Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Falconier111 posted:

So, uh, it occurs to me I may have skipped over something important that I thought I captured when I wrote the update a week ago but forgot about until I reread it just now and I didn’t make it clear. During that last section, where Hisao notes the tone change, both of their body languages changes: Misha starts switching between smiling and frowning (instead of only smiling) and stops emoting as much, while Shizune doesn’t smile at all and keeps her hands to her sides while shifting around. The text also slows down, with each sentence or two getting a text box instead of three at a time, like they’re taking their time to form their sentences and consider what they’re saying. Playing it, you get the impression that they’re uncomfortable with their own behavior and genuinely trying to back off and give him room to tell them to get lost. They at least indirectly acknowledge they need to approach things differently and try to reign it in this time. I’m not saying this because it’ll prove or disprove anyone’s arguments in the thread or change anyone’s minds, I just wanted to make that factor clear where it wasn’t before.

I guess this is a fair point, but what you're describing here is beyond my ability to pick up on. If I'd played this game without you telling me I wouldn't have noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dance Officer posted:

I guess this is a fair point, but what you're describing here is beyond my ability to pick up on. If I'd played this game without you telling me I wouldn't have noticed.

I figure anyone reading can pick up on it because it's literally text. Contrary to the earlier playful pushy behaviour, they are now a bit bashful as they ask the question seriously and give a genuine opportunity to back out. Since they're being genuine instead of pushy, Hisao accepts.

quote:

I'm more than a little surprised by this sudden change of tone. I don't really know how to react to it. For one thing, she isn't shouting uproariously with no regard for tact. Before, I'm sure she knew already that I was going to say no. This time, she seems actually serious.

MISHA: "I think maybe you should join. Not just because we could use your help, but, well, you're hanging out with us anyway. I think Shicchan would like it if you would join as well. It's not like you hate us or anything, right? It wouldn't hurt if you joined. And I'd appreciate it if you would."

She seems to be having a hard time getting her words out, which is strange for someone talkative like Misha. For some reason, I'm almost troubled by it. My eyes drift over to Shizune, who stares back at me tentatively, absentmindedly cleaning her fingernails.

edit:
Now that I think about it this is overall consistent with Hisao's overall characterisation from other characters. He's a teen boy and he's still interested in being seen as assertive and manly.
With Hanako and with Emi, this gets him into trouble because neither of them want a 'protector', they want a friend and partner they can be vulnerable with without being coddled.

Since Shizune and Misha are assertive from the start, his natural instincts are to brush them off since they're not picking on his 'protective instincts'. Once they openly ask for help without joking about it or putting on a brave front, it's a role he's socially comfortable with and so he engages.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 30, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
We're kind of going in circles here, tempers are running high and I think we might be treading on people's triggers (which is always a bad look). We'll have plenty of time to discuss how problematic Shizune and Misha's behavior is later, so why don't we take a breather and talk about, I dunno, loving... Let's talk about sign language, why not. That's thematic, right?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Falconier111 posted:

so why don't we take a breather and talk about, I dunno, loving... Let's talk about sign language, why not. That's thematic, right?

Since it's going to be Halloween season soon, I wanted to mention "A Quiet Place", featuring Millicent Simmonds.

Beside the obvious, actually hiring a Deaf actress for an Deaf role, which has historically been patchy as hell, re Hollywood and disability. Representation in Hollywood films is a heavy topic to talk about and that's not the point of this post. I wanted to comment on the parents in the film, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski.

So at least for Deaf people it's extremely obvious when someone is not a fluent signer. Even after years of signing, and being in the community, you might think you're hot poo poo and you're probably better than most people, but to a native born Deaf signer, they can usually tell. We can generally tell what level you're at in the first few seconds, if not minutes.

It's been a while since I watched the film, but I recall talking with my wife afterward that huh, they actually did a decent job with Emily Blunt and John Krasinski learning signing. They're not fluent, but they don't have to be. I can count the number of parents of Deaf children that I would count as being genuinely fluent on one hand. They actually kind of reminded me of a lot of the parents I've seen signing wise. That may have just been a happy accident, but you never know.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Dear Misha and Shizune: :fuckoff:

Between the two of you, you are loud, arrogant, passive-agressive, overbearing, and manipulative. Maybe that's someone's type, but I would actively leave any room containing these two.

Hanako is my type. My girlfriend, who I've been friends with since middle school, has social anxiety. It took years, but I gradually learned what she wanted and needed, and earned her trust in return.

Fake edit:
Now that I've read the rest of the update, and noticed a couple of the subtle details, I'm not nearly as angry with them. I still feel like they gave an atrocious first impression. Perhaps I would have given off stronger signals than Hisao did if I were in that situation, and they might have eased off sooner.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Marluxia posted:

So at least for Deaf people it's extremely obvious when someone is not a fluent signer. Even after years of signing, and being in the community, you might think you're hot poo poo and you're probably better than most people, but to a native born Deaf signer, they can usually tell. We can generally tell what level you're at in the first few seconds, if not minutes.

If you don't mind me asking -

What're the big tells? Slower? Sloppier? Malapropisms?

Which I guess leads into - are there regional accents within a sign language? Like is it obvious that somebody learned to sign on one coast vs the other? If so, do they match up at all to regional variations for spoken English or are they very different?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Misha and Shizune are not real adults talking to you, they are anime teenagers fulfilling anime teen stereotypes in their interactions with a character that is also an anime stereotype boy while being at an anime-tropey highschool.
(this statement is not aimed at anyone in particular)

As an outsider to sign language, learning about how it differs from the spoken language that it's 'supposedly' based from or developed from is very interesting! It also means that because word order can be very different, interpreters/translators have a lot of room to have their own personal spin on how something comes across. I've never done Shizune's route so it'll be interesting to see (I assume) how Hisao learns to differentiate between Shizune's intent and Misha's additions.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bewilderment posted:

As an outsider to sign language, learning about how it differs from the spoken language that it's 'supposedly' based from or developed from is very interesting! It also means that because word order can be very different, interpreters/translators have a lot of room to have their own personal spin on how something comes across. I've never done Shizune's route so it'll be interesting to see (I assume) how Hisao learns to differentiate between Shizune's intent and Misha's additions.

Funny you should mention that. I saw a sign language interpretation of WAP, and the signer... well, I can't read any sign languages, so I could see that there were signs in there, but I got the feeling they were very stylized, as the signer had turned it into a full-on dance.

Note that this was a video of someone dancing in their house that they posted on tumblr (reposted from TikTok?) so I couldn't dig it up again even if I wanted to.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
the problem with Shizune is that she takes things very seriously and very personally. Which fits her disability; she's trying to be taken seriously, struggling to make herself heard in a silent world. Unfortunately, she's not good at communicating that - figuratively or literally. As a result, we get conflicts between rival approaches (her vs. Lilly) and situations like building the stalls; is she picking up slack, or taking on too much because she's the ONLY one who does things RIGHT? Definitely reads differently whether you're viewing this via anime tropes (the "elite student council") or RL tropes (Am *I* the only one who cares about things around here?) And we haven't even met her family...

amusing sign language translation/interpretive dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecGuQE6t44

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Quackles posted:

Funny you should mention that. I saw a sign language interpretation of WAP, and the signer... well, I can't read any sign languages, so I could see that there were signs in there, but I got the feeling they were very stylized, as the signer had turned it into a full-on dance.

I've seen Lamb of God...4 times? They always have an ASL interpreter who is having a blast

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 62: Slow Recovery

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

HISAO: "Great. I'm not looking forward to a lot of work. To be honest, I've never done any student council activities before. But maybe it'll be a positive experience?"

Misha starts to clap, laughing exuberantly as she does.

MISHA: "Congratulations, Hicchan!"

SHIZUNE: "..."

MISHA: "Congratulations!"

HISAO: "I get the message."

I can't help but smile, finding such a display childishly cute.

MISHA: "The Student Council is always busy, you know! But for today, we're done. See you tomorrow, Hicchan! We still have work left, so we'll be counting on you!"

(Silence)

I leave the room, feeling totally wiped out. The grounds are totally deserted, and the school looks pretty ominous this late. The council office is the only window with lights on any more. Is this what the Student Council will be like? My body might not be able to take it.

Adhering to the nurse's nagging voice in the back of my head, I set my alarm clock to wake me up early enough to go jogging again. I made a promise and I'm going to keep it. Besides, Emi is bound to rat on me if I don't show up. But it's not all that bad.

:eng101: Now we run with Emi, the side to double down, and almost have a heart attack again. Nothing else changes until we get part way through Update 14, specifically just past when we get back to class after Mutou just kind of shrugs and lets us in. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Everyday Fantasy

Only two pairs of eyes remain keenly following me as I walk to my seat. I'm not surprised in the least when I feel Misha's fingernail prickle through my shirt about fifteen seconds after seating myself.

MISHA: "Psst! Where were you?"

HISAO: "None of your business."

I know this is probably the worst answer I can give as it only serves to pique their curiosity, but I have no energy to come up with elaborate cover stories right now. However, Misha backs off. She's unexpectedly fast to give up today. ... In a minute, she's back at poking me with her finger.

MISHA: "Come on, tell us! Shicchan is very interested too!"

It was just my wishful thinking. She just talked about it with Shizune, probably devising ways to get me to spill the beans.

HISAO: "No."

She retreats to negotiate again.

MISHA: "As a member of the Student Council, it's your duty to tell us why you are skipping class! Especially if it's something fun fun fun~!"

>"Yeah, I sure was having fun fun fun at the nurse's office..."
>"I don't want to talk about it, okay?"

:eng101: … Wow, this is an unclear choice. These dialogue options are Fallout 4 vague. Basically, the first one has you lash out at them and stop the conversation cold, shunting you back on to Emi’s path. Which would be fine, except it ALSO triggers the death flag, so you basically have lunch with Emi and Rin and then die. We aren’t doing that. :eng101:

=>"I don't want to talk about it, okay?"

HISAO: "Give up. I'm not going to tell."

MISHA: "Is that so~?"

HISAO: "Yeah."

She thinks about this for a moment.

MISHA: "That's stingy, Hicchan~!"

I can hear the pout in her voice, disappointed and downcast. She retreats again for a moment to negotiate with the brainy half of the dynamic duo, before returning.

MISHA: "I think we should have lunch together and discuss more about this... Shicchan says. It's our treat. Besides, you need to make up for not being there in the morning and we need help with the work~!"

The other students around us are starting to give us looks, probably because Misha is leaning so much over her desk that she's almost bumping heads with me. Her curly hair brushes my neck. It smells like shampoo and very much like whatever she puts in there to make it go like that. I think the girl in front of me is trying to eavesdrop. Hope nobody is getting the wrong idea about this, though I'm not really sure how it would be possible to get any other kind of idea. Luckily Mutou stays oblivious, or deliberately ignores Misha. So far.

I can't really win this one, can I?

>I'll go to the lunch with Emi and her friend.
>I'll go with Shizune, after all I'm in the Student Council now.

:eng101: Two in a row, huh? Who we eat with determines whose route we go down. If we pick Emi we get shunted onto her route just fine, the whole Shizune thing just withering on the vine. I genuinely don’t know if Hisao remains in the student council on her route and they just never mention it (though it would explain why Misha shows up for that Hail Mary). We, however, will take the other path, locking us in to Shizune’s route. By the way, if we’d either blown off the Nurse or chosen to take it easy on the track this time around, Misha and Shizune would’ve swung by Hisao’s room and try to drag him out to lunch; if so, we could have chose either to kick them out (killing us) or grudgingly go along with them, which would have taken us straight to the next scene. :eng101:

=>I'll go with Shizune, after all I'm in the Student Council now.

HISAO: "Fine, I'll come with you, but get off my back for the rest of the class, okay?"

MISHA: "It's a deal, Hicchan~!"

(Silence, Crowd Noises)

On the way to the student council room, I can see students walking back and forth through the halls, probably in preparation of their own projects. The festival is practically here. That means there are only two possible reasons that my help is required. Either there is only a small amount of work left, and they just want a helping hand to wrap up the mundane final checks they are obligated to do. Or there is a ton of work left, and Shizune is putting on a calm face as a torrent of built-up procrastinated work threatens to kill us all.

(Crowd Noises Stop)

Once inside the office, I look around and see that it's deserted.

HISAO: "I guess this means there isn't a lot of work left, huh? Since there's no one here, and all."

MISHA: "It's always like this, Hicchan~!"

This confirms what I have thought before but have never actually been able to confirm definitively: Shizune and Misha are the Student Council. The whole Student Council.

HISAO: "drat. So it's true. The Student Council is really only you two."

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

Shizune looks as if she's stuck wondering whether to be ashamed or explode with anger, and Misha is equally divided between laughing and trying to stop her.

MISHA: "Well, then, Hicchan, you'll be happy to know that since it's just us three, we have a lot to do! A lot~! A lot~ lot~ lot~..."

HISAO: "That does not make me happy."

But it seems to make Shizune very happy.

MISHA: "Wahaha~! Just kidding!"

The work turns out to be sorting and double-checking the considerable amount of paperwork necessary for an event such as the school festival to get done. Bureaucracy is a mindboggling thing. But we manage to finish it just when the lunch bells ring.

MISHA: "Okay~, now that we are done, we can relax a little! But not too much, we have lots more to do in the afternoon~!"

MISHA: "It's actually not that much work, Hicchan~. So~, we can afford to enjoy a little lunch first. Hahaha~!"

The two of them produce a small array of plastic containers seemingly out of thin air.

MISHA: "Hm~ hm~... It's chicken cutlet with tomatoes and soybean sprouts~! Doesn't it sound delicious, Hicchan? It was just made this morning, and it's still warm, so eat eat eat~!"

I take one of the containers and open it. It looks nice, and certainly smells good. The fact that I'm really hungry adds to that even more.

HISAO: "Wow, this looks great. Where did you get this?"

:eng101: Shizune winces and turns aside. :en101:

MISHA: "That isn't important, Hicchan! There was supposed to be a stall selling lunchboxes, but the girl who was to run it suddenly said she couldn't do it. Shicchan said, “What a waste, it was a lot of work to trick Hicchan into making this~”—"

HISAO: "Hey, what the hell..."

MISHA: "...So~! Shicchan wanted to see if she could do it, but then decided not to, right, Shicchan~?"

Shizune sulks angrily, shooting Misha a displeased look. I don't think I was supposed to hear that story.

HISAO: "This is your test food?"

MISHA: "I'm eating it too, Hicchan~! And Shicchan is, too~!"

That doesn't answer the question! Nevertheless, I split a pair of chopsticks Shizune offers me, pick up a piece of cutlet, and pop it into my mouth.

It's surprisingly good. I didn't expect Shizune to be such a good cook.

Shizune puts her chopsticks down to sign curtly towards Misha, who gulps down her cutlet with noticeable difficulty in order to speak for her.

MISHA: "Hicchan~! Don't talk with food in your mouth~!"

HISAO: "It's not like I enjoy doing it. Anyway, how motherly to show that kind of concern..."

MISHA: "You can't even eat right, Hicchan~! That's all it is~!"

It's a stalemate. I can't eat in order to talk to Shizune, who can't eat in order to chastise me for eating the wrong way. Misha, caught in between, is in the same situation, and looks the most disheartened by how this is going. Either way, our food is getting colder by the second, and it wasn't piping hot to start with. Wherever this was going, it dies down pretty fast once we all realize that, and we eat.

After a while the bell rings, but Misha makes no attempt to tell Shizune, so I'm sure they're planning to skip classes and spend the rest of the day in here again.

MISHA: "Hicchan, do you have any plans for the festival?"

HISAO: "No, not really. After all, I've only been here a week, what could I set up in that time?"

MISHA: "Wahaha~! Hicchan, you helped us out so much, don't sell yourself short!"

HISAO: "Okay."

MISHA: "We're serious~!"

HISAO: "Okay!"

The two of them seem to get indignant over the strangest things.

MISHA: "You're going though, right, Hicchan? You should at least see what we've ac—complished...? Everyone should be able to look at what they have done so they can fully understand their work, that's my belief~! You're no exception! Hicchan, you should definitely go~! If you don't have anything planned, then maybe we can even go together~!"

HISAO: "Do you need a hand? If there's anything you need help with, I'm fine with sticking around."

I feel much more at ease than I did earlier; my previous concerns and fears long gone. I'd forgotten about this morning's trouble entirely until now, having fun with Shizune like this.

Having fun with Shizune... It seems like an unfamiliar concept to think of, but, looking back on it, I've really enjoyed the moments I've spent with Shizune and Misha these past few days, in spite of everything else. If we might be going together, then maybe I can afford to stick around a little longer. And I guess it beats class.

MISHA: "Really, Hicchan? Okay~! We can consider this you repaying us for the free lunch~! Great, this is great, really~ really~ great~! Shicchan was hoping to bring this up again later anyway! Ahahaha~! Wahahahahaha~!"

That's not a free lunch at all. Normally I would be angry, or at least slightly unsettled, but my mood has improved from earlier on, so I'll let it slide. Helping them out turns out to consist mostly of stamping forms and making what seems like ten thousand copies apiece of fifty different budget reports. It's not hard, but very boring, and according to Misha, the simplest of the tasks they deal with. I feel myself getting more and more tired, and with that, less eager to return to class. This is especially bad because the more time I spend out of class, the harder it seems to just get up and go back. These two, they're a terrible influence. Terrible role models. Not that it bothers me all that much, and I'm sure no one looks up to them, but it's the principle of the thing...

MISHA: "Done~!"

HISAO: "Ah, that was fast. I'll be finished before this period's over, I think."

MISHA: "No, no, Hicchan, everything is done. So, you're done, too~!"

HISAO: "That doesn't make any sense, are you telling me this is all arbitrary and you've been keeping me here for the hell of it?"

MISHA: "No~..."

MISHA: "But we have kept you long enough~! You should go back to class, Hicchan~! You can still make it for most of this period!"

HISAO: "What about you?"

MISHA: "Of course we're coming too, of course; we'll be right behind you!"

(Silence)

Reassured, I start heading back to class, but the period is almost halfway over, so I start thinking it would be pointless halfway there and pass the difference between this class and the next drinking juice in the hallway. I keep an eye on the door to the student council room, but it doesn't open. What's taking them so long? Are they busy wrapping up my share of the work? Well, it shouldn't take so long, unless there's more, and they just wanted me to leave. The more I think about it, the likelier it seems. Shizune is... well, not an idiot, but clearly, she's unable to just come out with things. Maybe it's because she can't talk, so it's harder for her. She has Misha, but all in all, as easy as they make it look, there's still a difference between casual speech and sign language. I contemplate going back there to check on them, but the bell rings, and I have to go to class.

They join me a few minutes later, and the thoughts I had in my mind before slip away in the routine of school life. By the time I remember, school is over for the day and I'm too tired to do anything but go home, do my homework, and then go to sleep.

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

(Silence)

At five minutes past eight, an unbelievably loud banging jolts me awake. It's coming from outside my door.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

Quickly, I open the door to see Shizune and Misha standing side-by-side before me. Both of them look a little worn out, although it's more noticeable on Misha.

HISAO: "Which one of you knocked?"

I ask, echoing the question that must be on the mind of everyone in the entire building.

MISHA: "Ahahaha, that's not important, Hicchan!"

She quickly dismisses it without even batting an eye.

MISHA: "Oh? You're still in your pajamas, Hicchan? So you don't wake up at eight?"

I notice her hair is wet. Her curls are barely holding their shape.

HISAO: "No, I thought I'd sleep a bit later since it's the weekend and all, and I've been seriously sleep-deprived this week."

I wonder if she missed the poison in my words.

MISHA: "Then it's a good thing we came to wake you

MISHA: "Anyway, Hicchan, I guess you would like to know why we're here, wouldn't you?"

It's not hard to guess, but I wish she wouldn't say the words she is going to say next.

MISHA: "Would you like to skip class and go somewhere nice with us?"

HISAO: "Come again?"

MISHA: "Would you like to skip class to do something fun?"

I was certain they'd force me to help them again with some slave work.

HISAO: "Seriously?"

Misha grins and nods enthusiastically. I like this new approach they're taking although I'm somewhat surprised that they would suggest skipping class, even if we have only half a day since it's Saturday.

HISAO: "Aren't you two worried about constantly missing class?"

MISHA: "Well, it doesn't seem to be a problem! Hicchan, this school is pretty much at a standstill whenever this time rolls around.It's a Saturday, too~. Don't you want to do something fun?"

I'm amazed by how little they seem to care.

MISHA: "Not that we're pressuring you to give us your company, but we thought you might like to hang out!"

MISHA: "So... would you like to join us? Come on, you'll have a lot more fun than just sitting here with your head on your desk~!"

I guess I won't be missing anything important; nor will I be missed.

HISAO: "All right, then, I don't think I'd be missing much. What do you have in mind?"

My eyes narrow with suspicion as a thought crosses into my mind.

HISAO: "Wait... this isn't just some trick to get me to do some more student council stuff, right?"

MISHA: "No, of course not! And that's a really mean thing to just assume like that, Hicchan."

MISHA: "...And besides, you're in the Student Council now, remember? If we wanted you to do something for us, we wouldn't have to trick you~! Hahaha!"

This is a kind of coercion that is new to me. Only two pretty girls could pull it off. I allow myself to relax a bit. Maybe I'm being too paranoid; it seems like they may really just want to hang out.

(Silence)

Nevertheless…

HISAO: "No tricks?"

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune’s Theme)

MISHA: "No tricks! Stop being so paranoid!"

HISAO: "Well, if you say so."

Suddenly, I realize I still am wearing pajamas.

HISAO: "I wonder if you'd let me dress up first?"

MISHA: "Eh? Why, Hicchan? You look just fine!"

HISAO: "I'd still prefer wearing something else."

I close the door before she gets a chance to reply and quickly pull on my uniform. Stepping back into the hallway, I see Shizune and Misha are engaged in an animated discussion. I wonder if people discussing in sign ever accidentally poke each other in the eyes. While I'm contemplating this, Shizune taps me on the shoulder impatiently.

MISHA: "So, we're planning on slipping into town! Remember that tea shop we were at on Wednesday?”

Tea shop?

MISHA: "You don't remember?"

HISAO: "Oh, you mean that café."

MISHA: "Tea shop! It's called the Shanghai. China is the birthplace of tea, you know. Come on, Hicchan! I'll even treat you today! Ah... not me, not me, I mean Shicchan! Ahaha~!"

HISAO: "I don't know..."

MISHA: "It's nice, it's really relaxing! It's like... half café, half restaurant, half sophisticated, half... library..."

What?

HISAO: "That's a lot of halves."

But Misha doesn't seem to notice that.

MISHA: "So~! Come on, it's not often that we have this much free time!"

MISHA: "If you're busy, though, you don't have to! It's not like your presence is absolutely, absolutely required! Hahahaha!"

I've never seen more weakly disguised reverse psychology in my life. I feel kind of tired today, and my teachers in my classes might want to know where I am. Maybe. On the other hand, I haven't really been into town at all since I've gotten here, so this is a good reason to head there. Also, I could use something to eat. If it's Shizune's treat, even better; I'm totally broke.

HISAO: "All right, let's go. Lead the way."

MISHA: "Great~!"

(Silence)

We make it to the tea shop with a fifteen-minute walk. It seems that we are the only customers around.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Everyday Fantasy

HISAO: "Is it always this quiet in the morning?"

By that, I mean is it always this empty.

MISHA: "No, this is kind of weird. Hey, this isn't a bad thing though, right?"

HISAO: "You're right."

We take our seats at a large, square wooden table, and it hits me that I don't know what this place serves. I just went with what Yuuko recommended the last time.

HISAO: "Hey, is there a menu or something?"

MISHA: "Nope!"

That was a strange amount of zest.

MISHA: "So, Hicchan, have you decided what you're going to order?"

I look around the store and can't see anything resembling a menu. I don't understand, what's up with this place? What gives? Is this some kind of secret shop? Can you normally only enter here with a secret handshake? Some kind of wink and a nod? Do you need someone to vouch for you? A blood oath? Dammit, it was nothing like this last time.

HISAO: "I don't know, the last time I think I just got coffee? What do they serve here?"

MISHA: "Tea!"

HISAO: "Ah, well, that's... Not just tea, right? Not only tea? There's other stuff too, right?"

MISHA: "Clearly~!"

HISAO: "Clearly? Like what? There are no menus here. Where are the menus?"

They're playing another joke on me. There is no way out of this; all I can do is brace myself for the inevitable, oncoming burn. I almost want to walk out of the store, but I'm already sitting down. It would be improper to leave now; the unspoken rules of polite social conduct block my exit like a wall of fire.

I decide to play it safe. I'll order what they order, if it's acceptably manly enough.

HISAO: "Why don't you two order before me? Ladies first."

MISHA: "Well played, Hicchan, but~ we already ordered!"

HISAO: "How is that possible? When? How? From who?"

MISHA: "We're regulars, we come here so often that we don't have to do that any more!"

MISHA: "Well, I guess you've had enough. We're sitting on the menus, of course~! Hahaha!"

I look around at the other tables. There are no menus on any of them. That means they must just keep them in a big stack near the door or something. What a thing to sit on, and what speed to grab them so quickly.

HISAO: "Well, whatever. Can I have one, then?"

MISHA: "You can take one if you want, but you're not the kind of person who would do something that la—sci—vious?, isn't that right?"

I tell them that I'd just like some coffee and put my head down on the cool tabletop.

MISHA: "Coffee? This is a very high class establishment, and you're going to order coffee?"

I can tell they're messing with me again.

HISAO: "In that case, I'll have whatever you're having."

MISHA: "Hicchan, Shicchan is drinking a special tea that is only grown in remote areas of India. The tea is still handmade by a tribe of tea makers who have passed the methods down in their families for generations. They must wade through alligator-infested waters to obtain the leaves once a year. On each trip, some do not make it back alive."

I can't drink that, I would feel too guilty.

HISAO: "Then I'll have what you're having."

MISHA: "I don't know what I'm drinking."

How?

HISAO: "Fine, then I want the tea that people died for. No, never mind. I'll have coffee. If this is a very high class establishment, then they should have very high class coffee, right? ... No one died for it, right?"

The perfect answer, there is no way they can stand against it. Shizune shrugs, as if to say “well played.” They still didn't answer my second question. Misha calls for Yuuko, who brings over our drinks and a single incredibly tiny yellow cake with a little black plastic fork stuck in it for each of us. I eat my cake in one bite, amazed at how it's probably the least filling thing I've ever eaten.

(Silence)

MISHA: "Hicchan, do you have any plans for tomorrow?"

Misha takes a gulp of her tea, something sounding suspiciously high class even though it looks like ordinary tea. She drinks with incredible recklessness considering how hot it is. The exact opposite of Shizune or Lilly. Plans? That sounds ominous.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Hokabi

HISAO: "Plans? Yes. Yes, I am incredibly busy tomorrow. In fact, I have so much to do that I will not have any free time at all. That's right... none whatsoever. And everything I have to do is extremely important. Very, very important."

Misha giggles, clearly not buying it, and then signs it all back to Shizune, who nods slowly and deliberately while looking very unamused. Suddenly, she leans forward, staring analytically at my face like a human lie detector, waiting for the smallest tell to give me away. After at least a minute of this, she sits back down in her seat and takes a sip of tea.

MISHA: "Okay, Hicchan, if you're that busy. We don't have anything to do tomorrow, so we thought maybe you would want to hang out with us at the festival! You're new here, anyway, right? Right? So~ we thought we would show you around and have some fun together, but if you're that busy, we understand!"

MISHA: "Oh well, oh well!"

The both of them shrug together in perfect sync, as if they've rehearsed it.

MISHA: "Ahahahahaha~! Hicchan, you're so paranoid."

MISHA: "...And you'll never beat me anyway, so why bother getting so worked up about it? Haha! Wow, Shicchan~!"

HISAO: "Beat you? What are you talking about?"

Is she talking about the coercion? I never realized that was just a game to her. I thought I was the only one who saw it as competition.

MISHA: "You know~! ...Eh? Do you, Hicchan? Because I don't."

MISHA: "You can't outwit me! —Ah, well, Hicchan, not me..."

MISHA: "What? What are you talking about, Shicchan..."

I can see Shizune smiling craftily, daring me to enter this battle of wills and wits with her. When he is pushed to the edges of despair, a man has no choice but to sink, or grasp at the fleeting wisps of hope, fight with all his power against the inevitabilities of his fate and struggle against the impossible. For even if he fails, at least fail knowing that he dared greatly...

...Or something like that.

:eng101: They start getting better next week, I SWEAR. :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 3, 2021

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
...It's weird that this is the route where Hisao technically is on the student council, yet also the one where he feels the most likely to become a delinquent so far. Why exactly are Shizune and Misha pushing him to skip class exactly?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Because they're hanging out lol they're teens

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The tea joke distinctly makes me feel like I'm reading an LP of YIIK.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nidoking posted:

The tea joke distinctly makes me feel like I'm reading an LP of YIIK.

Hisao ordered coffee, which was almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The writing in this part of Shizune's route feels like it's trying for a certain kind of humour and chaotic energy, but can't pull it off.

In other words... it reminds me of the writing in the scenes with Kenji. :negative:

I can't remember if it manages to properly get away from that kind of thing in later parts of the route.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Quackles posted:

Hisao ordered coffee, which was almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea.

Pilot the Student Council, Hisao.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nidoking posted:

Pilot the Student Council, Hisao.

I laughed out loud at this, just so you know.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I have to say, the Evangelion reference did blindside me when I played through this.

Speaking of which, did you know Misha comes out and tells you exactly why she’s at Yamaku at the start of Act 2? I’d completely forgotten that, I guess the fandom had managed to convince me otherwise over the years.

E: happy 100k views, holy poo poo :toot:

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
This is a good game with an extremely good poster. Congratulations all the same!

I wish I really had more to say in a thread like this, so I apologize what might be a meaningless post.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
That actually links to Stride, the index for the playlist is off by one.

Other than that, I want to give a word of encouragement. Without going into detail, some issues involving my own disabilities came to a head recently, and having started reading the LP at around the same time, I feel like reading it and the accompanying detailed discussions on the subject helped put me in a better headspace to deal with it. So I appreciate what you (and the other posters in the thread writing in depth about their experiences) are doing :)

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

cranky corvid posted:

That actually links to Stride, the index for the playlist is off by one.

Other than that, I want to give a word of encouragement. Without going into detail, some issues involving my own disabilities came to a head recently, and having started reading the LP at around the same time, I feel like reading it and the accompanying detailed discussions on the subject helped put me in a better headspace to deal with it. So I appreciate what you (and the other posters in the thread writing in depth about their experiences) are doing :)

And thank you for saying so! That’s kind of why this thread exists; we often don’t realize just how common our experiences are, or how isolated we can be. This kind of companionship can be hard to find and I’m glad people seem to be finding it here.

Also, thanks for catching that before I got 20 updates deeper and had to go through the links for every post :negative:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Interviews with Monster Girls, Episode 3: "Succubus-san is a Real Adult” (Pt. 1)

We open on an alarm clock going off at some deeply uncivilized hour.

It wakes up Satou, who’s about as chipper as you’d expect someone to be at four in the morning.

As she goes about her morning routine, cleaning up, preparing and eating breakfast, and getting ready to go, her voiceover informs us that she’s 24, has never been in a relationship, and, of course, is a succubus.

After a long journey from her house in the countryside, she finally reaches a train station…

… Only to have to awkwardly sidle her way past a confused looking-businessman.

As she waits at the platform, they announce the first train of the day to Shibasaki is on its way. I didn’t recognize that name, so I did some digging: turns out that’s the name of a train station in Chofu, one of several Tokyo suburbs best known as places city workers go to sleep. She’s about to board a train to Tokyo in a suburb large enough to count as a city in its own right and there’s only two other people on the platform. How early is this?

After getting into work unhealthily early, Satou’s busily cleaning up when the principal surprises her.

He compliments her on how dedicated she is to her job, coming in early and cleaning up like that.

… gently caress you too, buddy. I know there are people out there that feel differently, but to me… While we don’t know for sure yet she’s coming in early specifically because she’s a Demi, it’s pretty reasonable to infer that from everything we’ve seen about her life and her condition. She has to wake up at Oh God’o’clock and get to work crushingly early just to do her job and he compliments her on her work as if she’s going above and beyond of her own volition instead of having to do so just to keep up with the rest of her coworkers. Maybe one day I’ll have the emotional bandwidth to discuss the spoons metaphor and the strain of passing in a disability corner, and if I do, I’ll come back to the scene and use it to illustrate how frustrating it can be to deal with.

Satou tries to modestly deflect the compliment, usually the safest bet in this situation.

As the students start to arrive, Satou spots Hikari cheerfully bugging Takanashi on his way to class. During the conversation, Hikari and Takahashi think each other their good work getting Kyouko her backpack.

We see she feels kind of guilty for blowing his attempts to get to know her off and giving him the :stare: treatment earlier, now that she knows he actually practices what he preaches, but, well, she’s a succubus, and in her mind that means you can never get close to a man. Take that on however many levels you like.

A little bit later, a student of hers comes up for help on some math problem, which she gives in two seconds flat. At first, the student just seems impressed with her knowledge and is hanging onto her every word for that reason…

… Except nope, she actually just thinks her teacher is really cute and wonders why she doesn’t emphasize that more.

Satou shuts her student down as hard as she can without being rude or harsh.

As she walks down the hall to her next class, she starts narrating again, this time discussing how just her presence as a succubus can cause arousal in men. She can minimize the effect by deliberately dressing down and keeping to herself, which is why she goes around in a tracksuit and keeps herself. It isn’t perfect, though.

A couple of roughhousing douchebags wander over and one of them slams into Satou. She does not react.

When I was first watching this anime, I had to step away after pausing on this screen, as the guy says “I felt like I bumped into someone really sexy…” I remember thinking, and this is a direct quote, “what the hell kind of specific feeling is that?” And when I came back and started it back up, what was the very next line?

His friend saying “what overly specific feeling is that?” Marvelous :allears:.

But yeah, as she describes, if she does things right, that’s about as dramatic as succubus encounters get, at least in her case. It’s why she shied away from that guy back at the train station, and it’s why she took the first train of the day in – and also why she takes the last train out, because if anyone else is on the train when she passes out from exhaustion…

… The men in the train car have wet dreams. Succubi, the logically, have a reputation for approaching their victims in their dreams, and this here is the anime’s explanation: whenever she goes to sleep in the same area as other people, her conscious control over the effect slips and it starts affecting those around her.

Satou lives out in the country because she can’t live near other people – that kind of random arousal can’t be comfortable for your neighbors. It also makes it extremely hard for her to maintain any kind of romantic relationship because it’s impossible for her to tell whether someone’s into her as a person or as an object, forget what kind of chaos it throws into any attempts to be physically intimate.

As she explains to us over an only slightly gratuitous shower scene, she could go out and pick somebody up just by playing up everything she’s been playing down, but Satou is a romantic at heart. She’d love to have a relationship, even have kids and settle down, but Satou openly acknowledges she has so little romantic experience that she can barely process her own feelings well enough to tell how her feelings towards a person would differ from how that aphrodisiac effect would have them feel towards her. She is profoundly lonely, but she accepted long ago that the deck’s too stacked against her to do anything about it.

Smash cut to her drunk at dinner, getting loving wasted on poo poo beer and yelling while a stray dog howls along in the background. The anime implies this is her primary form of recreation off the job. And that’s the life of Satou Sakie.

Satou wakes up the next morning and goes through the same ritual, except this time she’s pretty hung over. She’s taking it like a trooper, but eventually she loses her footing…

… And falls almost literally into the arms of Takahashi, who asks her if she’s all right.

Satou leaps back and starts frantically apologizing…

… For nothing, apparently, because he’s just sitting there like :geno:. Takahashi kindly reminds her to make sure she gets her rest and just walks away.

Apparently, this has never happened before. It’s so startling that Satou starts wondering if he has a strong sex drive at all.

That, more than anything else, gets her interest. She’d genuinely never considered a possible romantic partner who can just ignore the effect. And suddenly, she realizes she’s attracted to him.

Then we cut to the stairwell where Takahashi is hiding just out of sight. It turns out he was just as strongly affected as anyone else, but, vitally, he kept it under control while he was around her until he could safely recover. He pretty much just walks it off.

I’m willing to bet Satou’s life quietly resonates with a lot of people reading this thread. Her succubusness may be invisible, but it straitjackets her life dramatically: it puts dramatic limits on her living, professional, and social situations, and all of those limits boil down to her limiting and controlling interactions with others. I mean, I’m not aware of any real disability that like lets off pheromones or anything, but keep in mind that, if other people’s reactions weren’t in issue, she could live a completely ordinary life. It is all due to the reactions of other people, not her actions. She even puts extreme effort into making others comfortable. But that isn’t enough to make social pressures disappear. She’s given up on anyone being able to control themselves for the sake of common decency and just resolved to live her life best she can.

And that’s why Takahashi’s reaction stands out so much to her. He may not be the first person in her life to, you know, try to treat her like a human being, but she has literally never run into somebody who could keep himself in check. The rest of the episode moves the focus back to the rest of the cast, but we will revisit Satou and Takahashi’s relationships before it ends.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

As she goes about her morning routine, cleaning up, preparing and eating breakfast, and getting ready to go, her voiceover informs us that she’s 24, has never been in a relationship, and, of course, is a succubus.

It's a minor detail, but her age was most likely an intentional choice, since traditionally, Japanese women are expected to be married by 24... or be considered old spinsters.

Japan kind of has some societal problems with youth worship and gender role expectations.

(People should correct me if I'm wrong about this stuff though; I'm not a Japanese social studies scholar or anything. :v:)

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Antistar01 posted:

It's a minor detail, but her age was most likely an intentional choice, since traditionally, Japanese women are expected to be married by 24... or be considered old spinsters.

The cutoff is 25, actually, so she's very close. They have the phrase "Christmas Cake" in reference to how no one wants it after the 25th.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
A high school seems to be a poor choice of places to work if the object is to avoid lust. Or maybe it's a good idea (hide a candle in a bonfire).

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

LJN92 posted:

The cutoff is 25, actually, so she's very close. They have the phrase "Christmas Cake" in reference to how no one wants it after the 25th.

Ah, okay. I must have always misinterpreted why "24" kept coming up in that context. I haven't heard that "Christmas cake" expression before; yikes.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Am I the only one getting 'high school dress code' vibes out of this? A lot of the dress codes that haven't been updated are relatively sexist, where the person who is 'violating' the code is guilty of being 'distracting' or 'seductive' just for wearing clothes. It's why a lot of schools don't let girls wear tank tops with spaghetti straps or skirts that don't pass the 'fingertip rule'. The idea is that Satou is being punished for the reactions of other people, and is thus forced to alter her life to accommodate for them, which just isn't fair! Takahashi's reaction almost makes it worse because it shows people can control themselves without any particular training, but nope. Easier to blame Satou and all other succubi for being too sexually attractive instead of using some self-control!

Stuff like this just makes me mad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I can definitely see some parallels to social anxiety in it, except now all the fears that you will inconvenience everyone around you just by existing, and be massive trouble if you attempt interacting, are real.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Am I the only one getting 'high school dress code' vibes out of this? A lot of the dress codes that haven't been updated are relatively sexist, where the person who is 'violating' the code is guilty of being 'distracting' or 'seductive' just for wearing clothes. It's why a lot of schools don't let girls wear tank tops with spaghetti straps or skirts that don't pass the 'fingertip rule'. The idea is that Satou is being punished for the reactions of other people, and is thus forced to alter her life to accommodate for them, which just isn't fair! Takahashi's reaction almost makes it worse because it shows people can control themselves without any particular training, but nope. Easier to blame Satou and all other succubi for being too sexually attractive instead of using some self-control!

Stuff like this just makes me mad.

Interviews does not interrogate the issues it brings up nearly enough; note how it treats the situation as a tragedy that can’t be helped by either side instead of putting the blame on people who wouldn’t accept responsibility for their actions. It won’t go completely ignored, though, especially as time goes on.

Update 63: Shanghaied

Katawa Shoujo OST - Hokabi

HISAO: "Well, we'll see about that. Don't underestimate me."

MISHA: "Don't you have to follow through to make good on that, Hicchan?"

HISAO: "Ah, well, I could get lucky. Don't count out that possibility."

MISHA: "You won't~."

HISAO: "I will! Wait—"

MISHA: "Let's make a wager on it, then!"

HISAO: "I don't care about competition."

That's a blatant lie.

HISAO: "Wait, what exactly do you mean?"

MISHA: "That's okay if you don't know, neither do I! Wahahaha!"

MISHA: "So it's settled, then! All right, all right!"

HISAO: "What? Didn't you hear what I just said?"

MISHA: "Now all that's left is the stakes! What the winner wins, or, more interestingly, what the loser loses!"

HISAO: "Hey!"

This is a very dangerous game I'm playing. Shizune herself is a very dangerous girl, if she can only think in terms of winning and losing. If she views every time that I talk with her as some kind of battle of wills, I don't think I could take it. That kind of thing drives people insane. She's too Machiavellian; before this I'd assumed she was just kind of stoic. But nevertheless, I'm interested. In hindsight, I realize that I just challenged her to what is essentially a duel without any rules that won't end until one of us... what? I guess that's it. That's so vague. What are the conditions for winning or losing? The first person to feel stupid loses?

HISAO: "I don't know, I've never had to think of anything like this before."

MISHA: "Never?"

HISAO: "Never."

MISHA: "So you have never gambled, Hicchan?"

HISAO: "I'm surprised you two have."

MISHA: "Oh, come on... It's just for fun, anyway! Between friends~! It's about causing humiliation, suffering, and absolute despair! Isn't that the point?"

Shizune puts a finger to her temple thoughtfully.

SHIZUNE: "...!"

MISHA: "Hm... Ah, how about this, Hicchan: If you lose, you have to go to school one day without any pants on."

HISAO: "Are you insane?"

Although in comparison to what I was afraid she would say, it's pretty mild.

HISAO: "Can't we just bet money, like normal people?"

MISHA: "It's not like you could match my wager if we did~! Now, it's your turn! ...But nothing perverted! Understand?"

MISHA: "Hahaha!"

HISAO: "I think I need more time."

This is going to have me constantly on edge for weeks.

MISHA: "Okay~! Come on, you should both hurry up, your drinks are getting cold!"

I quickly down the rest of my coffee as Shizune does the same, staring at me with a fierce look of competition in her eyes. It seems like a waste for her to be gulping down something that someone may have died for her to enjoy.

MISHA: "Hicchan, are you sure you don't want to hang out tomorrow? A lot of people are looking forward to it; you don't want to miss out."

I mumble unintelligibly at her.

MISHA: "I don't really understand..."

It's time to think. Shizune's drink is smaller, but I can consume mine faster. If Shizune finishes her drink first, she might skip out on paying, leaving me to pick up the tab, even though she said the drinks were on her. Because I have no money on me, I would be humiliated, and therefore this could be considered a loss. If I finish first, the laws of chivalry would make me look like a jerk, as I would need to run out of this teahouse, leaving her to pay for everything. That could also be considered a loss. She would use that. In the event of a draw, she may attempt to run out the door, and I'll probably do the same. This might lead to a collision at the door, which would be humiliating, but not overly so. ...And Misha would be left to pick up the tab.

This is really childish. I'm a little disappointed in Shizune, and myself.

MISHA: "Well, Hicchan, it'd be really nice if we could all celebrate how well we put everything together for the festival by taking a look at our handiwork..."

Misha seems oblivious to the fact that an epic battle of wills is raging in front of her. I nod slowly and down the last of my coffee.

HISAO: "Well, I am finished enjoying my drink. I guess it's time for me to leave. And I am going to leave now. Calmly."

MISHA: "You too, Shicchan? Why are you two acting so weird?"

I quickly walk out the door and Shizune follows. Misha is going to have to foot the bill. Sorry, Misha. Catching up to me, Shizune quickly pushes her glasses up and presses a note into my hand.

quote:

"If you lose, you have to come hang out with us tomorrow."

HISAO: "So you think you can win today? That's kind of cocky, Shizune."

I forgot for a second that she can't hear me. I nod. Right now, she seems much cuter than she usually is, smiling softly with a hint of confidence coming through. Shizune looks energetic and carefree, although it could just be the caffeine. She winks, and extends her hand for a handshake. I wonder if there's a buzzer in there and she plans to shock me, but that doesn't seem like something she would do, so I accept. With a squeeze, she pushes another note into my hand. I momentarily think that it's a buzzer and wonder if the shock could kill me. Shizune smirks and then runs off.

quote:

You probably don't know how to get back to school from here.
There will be work waiting for you when you do. See you then~

I crush the note in my fist dramatically, but no one is there to see it, and that makes me sad. I wonder if it's too late to go back to the shop and ask Misha for directions. But then again, I gave her a hard time for not knowing the way here, so I can't allow her to score off me for not knowing the way back. And if I ask her, Shizune could see it as a victory. No, it's not necessary. The school is on top of a drat hill, how hard could it be to find? I may be slightly directionally challenged, but I'm sure that even I can do this.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Fripperies

About an hour and a half later, I walk the long paved path leading from the gates to the main building.

MISHA: "Hahaa! Just the person we were waiting for. So you made it here eventually, Hicchan, good! Now it's time for work work work~!"

Misha and Shizune had laid an ambush for me in the main lobby of the ground floor and I walked straight into it. I should have just circled around the school like I had originally planned, but I thought that I was overreacting and being silly. Misha is waving a thick stack of printouts in my general direction, taunting me.

MISHA: "We sort of need your help~!"

HISAO: "Sort of?"

MISHA: "We need your help~!"

MISHA: "You will help us!"

Misha speaks with her usual playful, carefree manner, but even so I can hear Shizune's unnervingly hard severity behind it.

HISAO: "That sounds like an order."

MISHA: "Really? Is it?"

MISHA: "Eh? It is? Ah, sorry, Hicchan, I guess it is! Hahahaha!"

She doesn't sound very sorry at all.

MISHA: "I thought we had almost everything done by now, but it turns out we have all these signs to attach to backing boards."

MISHA: "More hands make light work! And everybody wins! Hahahahaha!"

MISHA: "This is your duty, after all, as a member of the Student Council. Which you are a part of. As a member. Of the Student Council. Ahahaha~!"

MISHA: "It's a simple task, so getting it out of the way now would be good. It's not that much work. A small thing, really!"

MISHA: "And we'd really appreciate your help! Really, really appreciate it! Besides, it's time to pay back for us treating you so nicely!"

HISAO: "So the tea shop was a trap after all! You two-timing scoundrels!"

MISHA: "Don't say that, it was completely unrelated. We wanted to celebrate you joining the council!"

But why did she bring that up, then?

HISAO: "But—"

MISHA: "No buts! You're coming with us!"

I don't even get to finish my sentence as they grab me by the arms and try to pull me towards their office. Misha laughs giddily as she and Shizune exchange sly looks behind my back.

MISHA: "Ah, I don't think you have a choice in this, Hicchan! Hahahaha! There are two of us, so don't even try to get away, now! Don't take us lightly!"

MISHA: "Hicchan, it's your duty to help us, anyway! As a member of the Student Council!"

HISAO: "All right, all right! How could I forget? But, seriously, aren't there other people who can help you?"

MISHA: "Like who, Hicchan? You were fine with helping us yesterday..."

HISAO: "Yesterday is not today! And anyone who isn't me! Why don't you have anyone else in the council?"

MISHA: "That's what we'd like to know! ...Aha... Ahahahahaha!"

Misha's laughter explodes through the hall. She doesn't notice the grimace on my face at all. That's right, it's just the two of them, isn't it?

HISAO: "Oh, right. Okay, I'll help you."

Misha runs her tongue over her teeth, looking quite pleased.

MISHA: "That's my Hicchan! I knew we could trust you~!"

MISHA: "So predictable~."

(Silence)

When we get to the student council room, my jaw drops. The number of signs, backing boards, and signposts is insane. They're stacked all over the place like building materials at a construction site, something I let Shizune and Misha know right off the bat.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

HISAO: "There are so many signposts here you could probably build a second wall around the school with them!"

MISHA: "Hahaha~! Really? Well, there are a lot of them, so maybe..."

MISHA: "Eh? No? How do you know that, Shicchan?"

MISHA: "Really?"

HISAO: "Don't tell me she's actually considered it?!"

Shizune hesitates, then pushes her glasses up a bit as Misha lets out a very uneasy sounding laugh. So she has considered it.

MISHA: "Ahaha! That's... irrelevant, Hicchan! Can you get on with making the signs, please?"

HISAO: "All right, all right. I feel sort of lied to, though. I thought you said it wouldn't be that much work?"

MISHA: "Ah, well, Shicchan meant it wouldn't be that much work for us."

MISHA: "Someone has to supervise you while you do this, you know, to make sure you're doing it right. And those people will be us."

HISAO: "So what are you two going to do?"

MISHA: "Watch you! Hahahaha~!"

MISHA: "No, that was just a joke, Hicchan. We'll help out too, of course. The Student Council is really supposed to have a lot more people."

MISHA: "This is just a bad year. Fewer people than usual, even though we already didn't have many the year before. And then there's just a lot more work than before, too."

MISHA: "Besides, Shicchan likes working with you. And so do I! We've accomplished a lot more than we normally could, you know."

(Silence)

I can accept that. Lately, they've been looking a little fatigued every time I see them. Student council work is apparently a 24-hour-a-day thing, and from what I've seen and heard, there are just the two of them. Well, I guess I make it three. They must work almost nonstop. I wonder how much time they spend working in this room, when I don't see them.

And I've even glimpsed Misha taking naps sometimes without Shizune at her side. By herself, Shizune has to be working 60-hour weeks doing her student council duties, on top of regular classes.

:eng101: Wonder why. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Afternoon

Two hours pass, and I reach for a tack only to find the box is empty. Shizune grabs it before I can even say anything. She smiles, tossing it expertly into a trash can along with another empty box of tacks.

MISHA: "So you're out too, Hicchan? Don't worry, Shicchan says she'll get some more. Hahahaha! We went through a box too, but me and Shicchan decided to wait until you needed a new box as well before getting a new one."

Something about that strikes me as odd.

HISAO: "Wait, we both ran out of tacks just now? Wow, what a weird coincidence, huh?"

MISHA: "Ah, well, actually, Hicchan, we ran out twenty minutes ago, and there was only one spare box of tacks, the ones we gave to you. And you were flying through those pretty quickly, so~! we thought that we should wait until we both had no more tacks before getting more! Then, Shicchan could go get fresh boxes of tacks for all of us at the same time. You know, for efficiency~!"

Shizune nods, preparing to step out the door.

HISAO: "Wait a second, so what did you two do for the past 20 minutes?"

MISHA: "Ahaha~! Nothing, of course! What could we do? We had no tacks, Hicchan!"

Shizune and Misha exchange knowing glances before they give me a perfectly synchronized and incredibly exaggerated simultaneous shrug.

HISAO: "I see. So you decided to take a break. Clever."

MISHA: "Oh, we know it was clever."

HISAO: "Whose idea was it?"

MISHA: "The both of us, of course, of course! Ahahaha~! Well, Hicchan, it was all Shicchan's idea."

(Silence)

I turn immediately to Shizune, who gives me a curt wave and a surprisingly cheery smile before quickly vanishing out the door. Well then why didn't you just say you wanted to take a break!? I used to think that Shizune and Misha were polar opposites. Misha always seems so energetic and playful, like any other girl. Shizune, on the other hand, always seemed distant. Aggressively manipulative and vaguely scary, but distant. There were times when I thought that she had no sense of humor. As cute as she was, I'd almost never seen her smile. Not to mention all the other things. The analytical stare, the permanently stoic expression, and even her penmanship; so mechanically precise that everything she writes looks typed. But Shizune and Misha really aren't as different as I'd thought.

HISAO: "I'm a little surprised."

MISHA: "Why?"

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune’s Theme)

HISAO: "Shizune. I didn't know that she liked to joke around like that."

What I mean to say is, I didn't know that she could act so girlish. It was actually pretty cute.

MISHA: "You would be surprised, Hicchan."

HISAO: "Well, I didn't know you and her were so close, either, the first time I saw you."

I've always been curious as to how these two met.

HISAO: "Do you two go far back or something? Childhood friends? Next-door neighbors?"

MISHA: "Haha... Sorry, Hicchan, it's not anything like that, even if it would be cuter that way. When I came to this school, they just placed me next to Shicchan, and she looked like a very serious person.”

MISHA: "And I thought, “I'm going to be spending the rest of the year next to this person, maybe!” But~, I wonder if she'll like me.’ And I learned that she was deaf. You know, Hicchan, the first time I just thought she was ignoring me~! But, luckily, I knew a little sign language, and we became friends."

I want to know where Misha learned how to sign, but I guess that's something for another time.

MISHA: "Now, I guess we're always together. It's nice, I've always wanted someone to listen to me, and I think Shicchan likes having someone to talk to! So, everybody wins."

HISAO: "Heh. That's nice."

MISHA: "That's it? You look disappointed, Hicchan, what were you expecting? Ahahahahaha! You know, Hicchan, I don't think that me and Shicchan thanked you properly."

HISAO: "For what?"

MISHA: "Joining the Student Council. You've been a real help to us, Hicchan! I think I will get a lot more sleep now~!"

HISAO: "Well, I'm glad I could help, if it helps a young woman sleep at night."

MISHA: "That's an interesting thing to say, Hicchan. Shicchan really appreciates you helping us out too."

At that moment, Shizune steps back into the room, looking slightly annoyed and sipping offhandedly from a juicebox.

(Clanging Sound Effect)

She throws two boxes of tacks on the floor with a wry smile.

MISHA: "Ah, Shicchan."

(Crunching Sound Effect)

Misha opens her mouth to speak, but then quickly closes it as Shizune suddenly crumples her juicebox with a crunch like the sound of breaking bones.

SHIZUNE: "...! ... ...!"

I can tell that each harsh, quaking hand gesture is most likely an epithet.

HISAO: "What's she saying?"

MISHA: "It was just very hard to get these..."

MISHA: "I guess that is an understatement, Shicchan..."

Shizune calms down a bit, straightening her glasses and lightly brushing her bangs back with one finger.

MISHA: "It really wasn't a big deal in retrospect? That's forward thinking of you! All right then, I guess the two of us should get back to work, Hicchan!"

HISAO: "Sure, why not."

(Silence)

By the time we're done with the signs, it's already getting dark out. I hadn't expected something like this to take so long. But then again, if it were that easy, I doubt Shizune and Misha would have asked for my help.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Raindrops and Puddles

Shizune falls into a nearby chair, cracking her knuckles systematically and letting out a muted yawn.

MISHA: "That's all for today, I guess! That's a good thing, Shicchan, I'm very tired, too."

HISAO: "That took longer than expected."

MISHA: "You agree? Hahaha, we didn't expect it to take so long either! Not as planned! Aww, I'm so hungry. I just realized I haven't eaten all day."

Now that I think about it, I have eaten nothing since I woke up this morning, but right now I'm almost too tired to think about food.

HISAO: "I think they already stopped serving dinner."

MISHA: "This can't be happening! Hicchan, can you think of any way we could... obtain food?"

HISAO: "Obtain food?"

I don't like her tone of voice.

MISHA: "Why not order out? Oh, that's right, I guess I could do that."

HISAO: "Order out? From where?"

MISHA: "From town, of course!"

HISAO: "I didn't know they deliver to the school. Well, what are you going to get?"

MISHA: "Maybe some Chinese food!"

HISAO: "As long as you're going to, can I get in on it too? I'm also pretty hungry."

MISHA: "Ahahaha~! Hicchan, you should have just said so in the first place!"

MISHA: "What's that? It's your treat? That's great! That's great!"

MISHA: "Wahaha, that's true, if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't be here so late, Shicchan!"

Misha quickly grabs a menu from a drawer behind her and begins to enter the number slowly and carefully, as if she's used to messing it up.

MISHA: "What do you want, Hicchan?"

HISAO: "Well, I guess I'll just have some dumplings."

I raise my hand in a gesture of thanks to Shizune, who responds with a very faint, split-second smile.

MISHA: "Ahahahahaha~!! Hicchan, Shicchan is paying for everything tonight, it's all on her, so you can afford to splurge a little!"

HISAO: "Some shrimp fried rice too, then."

MISHA: "All right, all right! And you, Shicchan?"

MISHA: "A Chinese omelette? Okay, then."

HISAO: "Hey, Misha, does that really mean “omelette”? Can I see that again?"

MISHA: "Sure! Haha! Like this, like this...”

:eng101: Her sprite flips between arm-and-finger-up and arms-at-her-side. :eng101:

MISHA: "And this is for what you ordered: Dumplings!”

:eng101: Her sprite flips between arm-and-finger-up and arms-at-her-side. :eng101:

MISHA: "Shrimp fried rice!”

MISHA: "I'm going to get soup and a stir-fry, you say that like this...”

MISHA: "And here's how much it all costs: 3685 yen!”

MISHA: "Wahahahaha~!"

HISAO: "Well, I don't know in how many situations I'll need to remember such an exact number..."

MISHA: "Ahahahaha! Okay~! I'm going to order now, unless anyone wants something else. No objections? All right all right, then!"

Shizune impatiently twirls a pair of chopsticks between her fingers as we wait for the food to arrive.

HISAO: "Hey, where did you get those?"

MISHA: "This isn't the first time we've ordered out, Hicchan, and they always give us a ton of chopsticks, for some reason, even when we tell them we're only two people."

HISAO: "And you two have accumulated a lot of them from a lot of long nights eating takeout in the office?"

MISHA: "That's exactly it! Hahahahahaha!"

MISHA: "I'm overstating it?"

MISHA: "Haha! That's right, Shicchan! Hey, Hicchan, did you know that once we've collected a hundred pairs of chopsticks from ordering out, we'll be able to take over the universe?"

HISAO: "I used to think that too, when I was little."

MISHA: "Hicchan, are you good at breaking them down the middle? I can never do it right, so I found the little pile of chopsticks Shicchan had saved up and practiced on at least twenty of them. She was really mad about that!"

I let out a laugh as Shizune turns bright red with indignation. I didn't know she had such a childish side. When the food arrives, I dig in heartily, drinking one of the tiny cans of soda Shizune bought for us from one of the vending machines in the hall. Thanking them both for the food, I head back to the dorms, ready to turn in for the night.

(Silence)

The dorms are eerily quiet except for the sounds of portable TVs and radios murmuring unintelligibly behind thin walls. It's quiet here at night, and very peaceful. I can hear the crickets chirping outside my window, and see actual stars when I look up. Tired, I try to fall asleep as quickly as I can, only feeling slightly robbed of my Saturday.

:eng101: Now all that’s left is the festival, including Kenji’s Update 16 breakdown, Shizune edition. :eng101:

Katawa Shoujo OST - Out of the Loop

HISAO: "I'm going to have to hang out with the Student Council, since I lost a bet."

I realize that we didn't agree on when and where. I'll just wait for them rather than risk us missing each other in the chaos outside. They must be busy running around and organizing things, anyway. It's funny. I would've assumed the price for losing to Shizune in her stupid game to be a lot more severe. This is just a pretense for spending time with her. In that case, I guess she just wants me to have fun. Even though she can't just come out and make her intentions clear, they may be good intentions after all, and I think I'm starting to like her more.

HISAO: "I could skip going, but it'd be a waste. And I want to go, too. I mean, you know, today does seem pretty exciting. If anything, it'll be interesting."

KENJI: "The Student Council? What? That's still around? Isn't it like, two dudes?"

HISAO: "They're both girls."

KENJI: "Really? Are they cute? drat, no, wait... are they cute? No! It doesn't matter! I heard the Student Council president is insane... that whoever it is never talks and only gives orders through flunkies. poo poo, they're the same in every school... Sounds like a cold-hearted bitch. Bitches everywhere. If it's two girls, they outnumber you two-against-one. That is a dangerous situation, dude. Who knows what can happen. drat, the Student Council is just two women, but they hold so much power. They must be stopped. I can see them, plotting ways to push their feminist agenda. I can't trust an administration like that. This is not cool. Not cool! drat. poo poo! drat!"

:eng101: Thanks, Kenji. :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 4, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Falconier111 posted:

I can accept that. Lately, they've been looking a little fatigued every time I see them. Student council work is apparently a 24-hour-a-day thing, and from what I've seen and heard, there are just the two of them. Well, I guess I make it three. They must work almost nonstop. I wonder how much time they spend working in this room, when I don't see them. I can accept that. Lately, they've been looking a little fatigued every time I see them. Student council work is apparently a 24-hour-a-day thing, and from what I've seen and heard, there are just the two of them. Well, I guess I make it three. They must work almost nonstop. I wonder how much time they spend working in this room, when I don't see them.

I can accept that. Lately, they've been looking a little fatigued every time I see them. Student council work is apparently a 24-hour-a-day thing, and from what I've seen and heard, there are just the two of them. Well, I guess I make it three. They must work almost nonstop. I wonder how much time they spend working in this room, when I don't see them.

[timg]https://lpix.org/4129781/ks63a5.png

And I've even glimpsed Misha taking naps sometimes without Shizune at her side. By herself, Shizune has to be working 60-hour weeks doing her student council duties, on top of regular classes.

:eng101: Wonder why. :eng101:

Not sure if this part is supposed to be intentionally repeated or not?

This particular scene is interesting to me because it provides even more information about why Shizune and Misha have been acting the way they have. Also further reinforces the fact that Hisao is an unreliable narrator.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

This particular scene is interesting to me because it provides even more information about why Shizune and Misha have been acting the way they have. Also further reinforces the fact that Hisao is an unreliable narrator.

Well yeah, was that not explicitly the point of the Hanako route?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Marluxia posted:

Well yeah, was that not explicitly the point of the Hanako route?

Seeing as we've only 2 and change routes so far I wouldn't be surprised if all the routes do a great job supporting the evidence that Hisao is an unreliable narrator. The Emi route did a solid job as well, it's just Hanako's the really drive it home (especially in the bad ending!)

For all my gripes with how Hisao is written sometimes, all the routes so far has both demonstrated and made us of the fact that he is an unreliable narrator. That can be tricky to do!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Don't forget for a moment that you are viewing Shizune through a distorted lens, on top of Hisao being an unreliable narrator. What she says is being filtered through Misha, which due to both her inexperience AND personality does change the tone and meaning.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It still seems like, beyond desperately needing help for their Student Council duties, Shizue and Misha really like jerking Hisao's chain for the fun of it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Marluxia posted:

Don't forget for a moment that you are viewing Shizune through a distorted lens, on top of Hisao being an unreliable narrator. What she says is being filtered through Misha, which due to both her inexperience AND personality does change the tone and meaning.

Of course, but you can still (as a reader) take some of the things going on in the story and draw some conclusions. If you ignore how the actions are perceived by Hisao himself, you can make some educated guesses as well as see the general character of both Shizune and Misha via the general patterns they demonstrate.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ChrisBTY posted:

It still seems like, beyond desperately needing help for their Student Council duties, Shizue and Misha really like jerking Hisao's chain for the fun of it.

I'm still wondering how much of this is Misha and how much is Shizune.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This does make much more explicit what the story's been slowly but steadily building up about why Misha and Shizune come off so poorly through the first act: the player is meeting them at basically the worst possible time.

A major school event is coming up, they're buried in so much work that it's impacting their sleep and school life, and nobody is willing to help directly while they're still having to wrangle people running out the deadline on stuff they need to know. I can't totally blame Shizune for how she's handling things. She's desperate for more help and Hisao's her only available source at the moment - one she has to badger into it, but one who also still hangs around and helps despite that.

And Hisao is still engaging. He objects but he also plays along with the little competitions she's making of things. As we've already seen from other routes, if Hisao pulls away, Shizune and Misha largely respect that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah, my personal take is that Misha is generally straightforward but occasionally takes direction from Shizune to mess with Hisao a bit. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Hisao picking up signing so the conversations become less filtered through Misha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

disposablewords posted:

This does make much more explicit what the story's been slowly but steadily building up about why Misha and Shizune come off so poorly through the first act: the player is meeting them at basically the worst possible time.

A major school event is coming up, they're buried in so much work that it's impacting their sleep and school life, and nobody is willing to help directly while they're still having to wrangle people running out the deadline on stuff they need to know. I can't totally blame Shizune for how she's handling things. She's desperate for more help and Hisao's her only available source at the moment - one she has to badger into it, but one who also still hangs around and helps despite that.

And Hisao is still engaging. He objects but he also plays along with the little competitions she's making of things. As we've already seen from other routes, if Hisao pulls away, Shizune and Misha largely respect that.

I think a big part of it is that Hisao also starts to kind of get into the groove of their dynamic. It's a bit of push and pull, and they definitely started off with way too much push, for exactly the reasons that you stated. The dynamic seems a lot healthier now, and I'm interested in seeing where it goes once the major stress of the festival is done.