Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What tires/width are you going to run on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

What tires/width are you going to run on it?

Ultradynamico, natch. Rose front, cava rear, both in 48. If I hadn't been intent on running 650b this thing would already be on the gravel road.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Those will look really sweet for both of the rides they last :v:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Ultradynamico, natch. Rose front, cava rear, both in 48. If I hadn't been intent on running 650b this thing would already be on the gravel road.

:hf: my frame is packed away while I accumulate dirtbag cheap parts. Planning on 700x43 with a dynamo and front rack.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Took the road bike out for a smash today, it's been way too long. The one good thing about being in hard New Zealand lockdown is that the roads are almost empty compared to normal, so you can go for a ride in the afternoon on a weekend without worrying about being run over.

Apologies for how dirty it is, ridden hard and put away wet.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

😍😍😍 the crankset on that beauty...

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

😍😍😍 the crankset on that beauty...

Cheers! My first road bike, built from parts myself nearly 10 years ago now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Blackhawk posted:

Took the road bike out for a smash today, it's been way too long. The one good thing about being in hard New Zealand lockdown is that the roads are almost empty compared to normal, so you can go for a ride in the afternoon on a weekend without worrying about being run over.

Apologies for how dirty it is, ridden hard and put away wet.

What frame is that? Love giant carbon weaves.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

e.pilot posted:

What frame is that? Love giant carbon weaves.

The mighty Hongfu FM039, with 12k outer weave:

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Products/Road_Frame/Aero_Road_Frame/2016/1026/411.html

Bought in 2012, I don't ride tons (probably only have 15 or 20k km on it in that time) and it's not particularly light but I've raced it, crashed it and it keeps going.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

This Soma Rush that I bought back in ~2013 has been a lot of bikes over the years. Track racing bike, ss cyclocross and gravel, fixie commuter...

Well in my neverending quest to break it here we are in bikepacking mode for a week on the Katy Trail

N+1? More like N+whatever-basement-parts-I-can-swap-to-do-the-thing

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m genuinely impressed by your dedication to that frameset. I have one in chrome that is easily my favorite bike, but it has never occurred to me to fit luggage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The first pic made it look like you had a uke in your rear pannier and the second pic was very disappointing. You need camp tunes. Pack that lute.

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Gave up mountain biking a couple of years ago due to injuring myself a few too many times. Finally decided to get something new, and tamer, after hankering to get back on a bike for a while now, happy with it so far and that colour :discourse:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Love drop bar mountain bikes. Great accent color choice on the flats too :cheersbird:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
That's a good looking bike. With those pedals, it'd look pretty sweet with purple hubs and purple Supacaz tape as accents too.

Here's my Journeyman on Dirt Mulholland. I climbed up Sullivan Canyon which was gorgeous and smelled amazing, like an old house or acoustic guitar. Musky, not musty. Unfortunately I didn't stop to take any pictures.

And then it got dark on me. At least I got to see a nice view of LA.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My toddler got into the habit of grabbing onto my saddle as I put him into the bike seat and not letting go, forcing me to ride standing up.
On a lark I looked for cargo bikes on Craigslist and found something that fit the bill for my needs:
- can carry two seats
- compact enough to take in and out of the basement (and up the outside stairs if I'm parking temporarily)

The Tern Cargo Node is basically Tern's Node frame (running 24" wheels) with disc mounts and then a standard Xtracycle cargo retrofit kit.
It's so not-bespoke that there's still the hanger at the original axle:

Also note the plastic roller idler for suspending the untensioned bottom half of the chain.

Deployed vs folded:

So far, it's working out. It's shorter than a normal bike when folded, but wider, and has no easy way to grab around the deck with the bike seat installed.
Still, it's a bit more wieldy than a normal bike for the up/down stairs use case.

The Andros adjustable stem seemed gimmicky when I first heard about it, but in this application, it's nice -- I don't bother folding down the steerer and the bars and saddle are close enough in height where I need to swing the stem down to tuck the bars under the saddle. It's definitely more solid feeling than I expected.

Having a frame mounted front rack is the most trippy part. I apparently was verifying my steering angle subconciously by looking on my peripheral vision for my front basket to swing with the bars as I steered, and with this rack visually turning away from the bars, I kept overadjusting my steering every time I thought the basket (and therefore bars) weren't turning, exacerbated by the fact that I'm used to turning the weight of the load in the basket. But in the long run, it'll be nice -- no variation between morning and night when dropping the toddler and supplies off at daycare.

Turning circle is mostly ok, but again I'm not used to the front rack sticking out to the outside of the turn, required more clearance on tight turns.

Coming with dynamo and lights is a nice bonus.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 30, 2021

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Just upgraded my 3x7 to a 1x9!

It's an ancient Peugot Altitude MTB that i've put skinnier tyres on, new wheels, new everything p much - and goddamn do I love it even more than ever. Used as a commuter bike about 20 miles daily to/from work.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

AEMINAL posted:

It's an ancient Peugot Altitude MTB that i've put skinnier tyres on, new wheels, new everything p much - and goddamn do I love it even more than ever. Used as a commuter bike about 20 miles daily to/from work.
I like bikes that get ridden a lot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

My toddler got into the habit of grabbing onto my saddle as I put him into the bike seat and not letting go, forcing me to ride standing up.
On a lark I looked for cargo bikes on Craigslist and found something that fit the bill for my needs:
- can carry two seats
- compact enough to take in and out of the basement (and up the outside stairs if I'm parking temporarily)

The Tern Cargo Node is basically Tern's Node frame (running 24" wheels) with disc mounts and then a standard Xtracycle cargo retrofit kit.
It's so not-bespoke that there's still the hanger at the original axle:

Also note the plastic roller idler for suspending the untensioned bottom half of the chain.

Deployed vs folded:

So far, it's working out. It's shorter than a normal bike when folded, but wider, and has no easy way to grab around the deck with the bike seat installed.
Still, it's a bit more wieldy than a normal bike for the up/down stairs use case.

The Andros adjustable stem seemed gimmicky when I first heard about it, but in this application, it's nice -- I don't bother folding down the steerer and the bars and saddle are close enough in height where I need to swing the stem down to tuck the bars under the saddle. It's definitely more solid feeling than I expected.

Having a frame mounted front rack is the most trippy part. I apparently was verifying my steering angle subconciously by looking on my peripheral vision for my front basket to swing with the bars as I steered, and with this rack visually turning away from the bars, I kept overadjusting my steering every time I thought the basket (and therefore bars) weren't turning, exacerbated by the fact that I'm used to turning the weight of the load in the basket. But in the long run, it'll be nice -- no variation between morning and night when dropping the toddler and supplies off at daycare.

Turning circle is mostly ok, but again I'm not used to the front rack sticking out to the outside of the turn, required more clearance on tight turns.

Coming with dynamo and lights is a nice bonus.
Baller that you found something you like! Tern stuff is decent. The andros stem's really good as far as adjustable things go.
Frame mounted front racks are The Way, it's so loving annoying/dicey steering a bike with a loaded bar/fork rack.

AEMINAL posted:

Older rigids are the best commuters.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

CopperHound posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

Older rigids are the best commuters.

Hell yeah!

I work at a bike shop now doing IT poo poo, and I get B2B prices for all my parts and expert mechanic help from my fellow coworkers :-)

Nothing like bombing down a steep hill blasting past 3 e-bikes and 2 e-scooters on nothing but muscle power while heading to work.

It weighs about 15 KGs total, solid steel frame.

edit: fun fact: i've spent 4x the amount of money i paid for this thing 10 years ago on upgrades by now lol :rip:

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 30, 2021

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

Rad bike imo. If I had access to a workspace I’d love to put something similar together as a beater bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CopperHound posted:

:hmmyes:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

that is as rad as it is dad

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

I work at a bike shop now doing IT poo poo, and I get B2B prices for all my parts and expert mechanic help from my fellow coworkers :-)
the dream

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't see my brother post in this thread but eenmachine and I got some new Priority Apollos and have been doing some fun bro rides

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sometimes. When I'm at the computer with a dozen Excel sheets open doing vlookups and doing inventory and ordering for our new POS and website I sometimes wonder if I should have kept my old job where I was paid more and had better health benefits, and the chair was more ergonomic.

Then I look down at my grungy runners and t-shirt from some race which is way more comfy than business casual, look at the clock and realize it's closing time. I go to the back to grab a beer from the fridge and crank the tunes even louder while I do the count and lube up my chain and go 'eh, I didn't really need that money anyways.'

But xc ski season cometh and ugh then it really just feels like a lovely retail job for a quarter.

Anyways. Fall is p much the best.

wez312
Jul 1, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

I work at a bike shop now doing IT poo poo

I think you just described my dream job... teach me your ways?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got my fancy wheels all built and tires glued up but I haven't put them on yet because the next two races are at a golf course and I think the current tubeless file treads are the best choice there

Also new major jake is out. frame only, all black

Ivan's going to have one black and one green, i wonder if he wants to trade frames

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 6, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Your color is better but lmao that new logo didn't last long did it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
And they only did it on this bike, no other konas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKCGFiwFJip/

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I forgot to show my Florida Man because I've been having too much fun riding it. So here.

Feeling vindicated about my 650b choice, yes there's an increased risk of pedal strike but absolutely zero toe overlap and the high volume tires are so cushy to ride on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you riding in Florida, Man? If so, come hit up Lake Apopka and Green Swamp with me.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I forgot to show my Florida Man because I've been having too much fun riding it. So here.

Feeling vindicated about my 650b choice, yes there's an increased risk of pedal strike but absolutely zero toe overlap and the high volume tires are so cushy to ride on.

drat that's pretty. Looks like a hoot!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I bought a nice cruiser cum cargo Bike that gets me round in style and comfy

Did a walk around video because there wasn't a review video online

https://youtu.be/DNLk_BB56FE

Got a very neat modular carrier system using carriage bolts and some woodshop skils

And I recently bought a road bike for $25

It will need a new chain shortly but at 25 dollars I won't complain

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Yus! Good bike and good wall.

My build is stuck in supply-chain limbo.

Edit: actually I did one thing.. per forum tradition, I drilled it - to take a modern recessed brake caliper.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 12, 2021

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

love it

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you riding in Florida, Man? If so, come hit up Lake Apopka and Green Swamp with me.

Kansas City Misery unfortunately! Not near as pretty as whatever I just Googled up. But the gravel ride out to a small town bar and grille is usually a good time.

sweat poteto posted:

Yus! Good bike and good wall.

My build is stuck in supply-chain limbo.

Edit: actually I did one thing.. per forum tradition, I drilled it - to take a modern recessed brake caliper.

Curious what you're doing for a brake setup. I used a super long reach cheap BMX side pull because it was purple, but I will probably swap it out because it's flexy as poo poo. Not sure how well something like a Dia compe boomerang works for converting to canti...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Not sure how well something like a Dia compe boomerang works for converting to canti...

Not enough depth -- the pads would rise halfway up the arch. And if you did have a super deep arch, it'd have to weigh a lot to have any hope of not being the flexiest part.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Finally got around to finishing and riding and taking a few photos of the custom frame I got made this year. I ended up with pretty much what I wanted, and it rides and handles very much how I expected and asked for. Jeffson Bikes in Rotorua NZ was the frame builder.
Due to a long lockdown and stuff with the kids I haven't had much more than short local rides on it but it's rad. Colour looks a lot more 'hot' in person it's hard to photograph even with a bit of image manipulation.

I asked for a fairly traditional lugged bike, very similar to my two favourite bikes which are both 1980's steel frames. But I requested more tyre clearance, at least 40mm on 700c and 650x47mm. Plus clearance for mudguards, 3 bottle cage mounts, QR dropouts, disc brakes, external cabling with the shifter cables run over the top of the bottom bracket.

He then used his knowledge and experience to do what he could without too many compromises and telling me if something was a dumb idea.

I'm pretty happy with the result. I would have liked to be able to afford to have it painted but powdercoating is pretty good and durable and much cheaper, my budget was pretty small.
And I kept most of the groupset off my old bike and just shifted it over. The wheels are my old mtb wheels set up tubeless with some Goodyear somethings.. I've got all the parts to build a 650b wheelset on some old XT hubs but haven't got around to it yet.
I'm looking forward to doing a bunch of riding this summer and through next year, hopefully I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Curious what you're doing for a brake setup. I used a super long reach cheap BMX side pull because it was purple, but I will probably swap it out because it's flexy as poo poo. Not sure how well something like a Dia compe boomerang works for converting to canti...

I've got a Paul Racer caliper for it. I looked into special ordering the non-recessed version but was told the Racer is discontinued and they aren't taking any more orders for it. It has disappeared off the paul website. Though.. it wouldn't surprise me if they bring it back next year when they're on top of their logistics again and are just telling people it's dead now to reduce their email load.

I briefly tried to wrench the hex bolt off it but it's a little M4 and began to round out so gave up on that and just drilled the fork.