Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

had a dream everyone was raving about this new game that was like vampire the masquerade bloodlines crossed with harry potter, except the only power anyone had was the ability to levitate vertically while climbing a ladder. the entire ladder would lift off the ground and as long as you remained on the ladder you could change height at will. the students who had this power were forced to keep it a secret or else break the masquerade and be expelled. other than that it was kind of like bully except there was a minigame to retrieve basketballs stuck on the top of the hoop using your ladder power

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What a thrill…

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/9O47wvvEG50

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dreamed I kept getting in trouble for going into the Roguelike thread and doing a bit where I post earnestly about Hyrule Warriors as if fully convinced it's a Roguelike. I kept getting people coming to my house and telling me to stop but it just kept getting funnier and funnier to me. People were shouting at me in the street and i couldnt defend myself because i was laughing too hard. Eventually i woke myself up coughing/laughing hysterically (I have the cold) because I thought of the very idea of going in and posting that I'm really impressed that moblins can spawn at either outpost A or outpost B and this was an example of the emergent gameplay coming from procedural generation for which the genre is renowned

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dreamed I kept getting in trouble for going into the Roguelike thread and doing a bit where I post earnestly about Hyrule Warriors as if fully convinced it's a Roguelike. I kept getting people coming to my house and telling me to stop but it just kept getting funnier and funnier to me. People were shouting at me in the street and i couldnt defend myself because i was laughing too hard. Eventually i woke myself up coughing/laughing hysterically (I have the cold) because I thought of the very idea of going in and posting that I'm really impressed that moblins can spawn at either outpost A or outpost B and this was an example of the emergent gameplay coming from procedural generation for which the genre is renowned

Lol. The dream troll...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dreamed I was playing magic the gathering IRL but with a deck I’d never seen before. My first card draw was an enchantment called “Lands are Bones” that just said “All Lands are Bones”. I woke up before I could find out what it really did

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dreamed I was playing magic the gathering IRL but with a deck I’d never seen before. My first card draw was an enchantment called “Lands are Bones” that just said “All Lands are Bones”. I woke up before I could find out what it really did

Lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The worms are their money, the bones are their lands

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Had a dream last night where I was telling Edie Falco and James Gandolfini about how much they’d like the Switch if they were to give it a try. I then broke out my impersonations of Tony and Carmella, making them talk in character about Zelda. My Tony impression was okay and made Gandolfini laugh but when I tried to do Carmella what ended up coming out was a perfect 1:1 recreation of Lois from Family Guy’s voice saying “Peetah turn off ya gameboy”. Both of them became very visibly uncomfortable and shuffled out of the little italian restaurant booth.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Had a dream last night where I was telling Edie Falco and James Gandolfini about how much they’d like the Switch if they were to give it a try. I then broke out my impersonations of Tony and Carmella, making them talk in character about Zelda. My Tony impression was okay and made Gandolfini laugh but when I tried to do Carmella what ended up coming out was a perfect 1:1 recreation of Lois from Family Guy’s voice saying “Peetah turn off ya gameboy”. Both of them became very visibly uncomfortable and shuffled out of the little italian restaurant booth.

Lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is a message from God because you absolutely could drive someone to a nervous breakdown with this in the 8,000-page rogue-like megathread that I assume Games has

NienNunb posted:

lmfao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

HOLLY: All lands are bones, Dave.
LISTER: What, Island?
HOLLY: All lands are bones, Dave.
LISTER: What, Forest?
HOLLY: They're all bones. All lands are bones, Dave.
LISTER: Plains isn't, is it?
HOLLY: All lands are bones, Dave!
LISTER: Not Mountain!
HOLLY: Gordon Bennett! Yes, Mountain. All lands. All lands are bones, Dave!
LISTER: Swamp?
HOLLY: It’s bones, Dave. All lands are bones, all lands are bones, Dave.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

NienNunb posted:

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NienNunb posted:

lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This is a message from God because you absolutely could drive someone to a nervous breakdown with this in the 8,000-page rogue-like megathread that I assume Games has

lmfao
Oh it absolutely has one yeah, I was reading it last night which I think prompted this. It's the usual niche Games megathread mix of unbearable but also the only real source of lots of useful info about Roguelikes old and new lol, I was initially looking to see what ToME was like these days.

I think it was a combination of that and me playing Age of Calamity a lot the last few nights before bed, and I've been getting increasingly aware that even for a Musou it's really stripped down and lacking in strategic stuff- even compared to the first one which I assume is on the simpler end of the genre already. Like you never really have to worry about losing outposts or strongholds or guarding objectives or other characters dying/not being in the right place, nothing at all seems to happen "offscreen".

I guess that led my brain to thinking about games with lots of mechanical/systemic stuff going on and it led me to, uh, that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NienNunb posted:

lmfao

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dreamed that I had played a game that starred Macho Man Randy Savage as a sort of doll version of himself, like a My Buddy type doll, and that there was a part of it I found hilarious, and then like 10 years later in the present day the Macho Man helped me out by vouching for me at a pawn shop to get a limited edition coffee mug that I had pawned to help out a different, irrelevant person. In the process, the Macho Man's own limited edition coffee mug got a crack in it, but he was fine with that and got another one from a nearby NBA Jam-branded carnival basketball game that he dominated no problem. I showed him the funny part of that game from 10 years ago and I told him it was a special part of my life and he cried and gave me a deep, sincere hug about it

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Sub-Actuality posted:

I just dreamt that Shiggy announced a complete remake of the original Super Mario Bros during a Direct. He was visibly excited, sort of hopping up and down like a little kid and saying stuff like “modern technology allows us to at last depict the full Mario experience as I first envisioned it.” He started playing through a live demo of the game, which was still 2D but had sharp 3d-rendered sprites that kind of looked like Donkey Kong Country. The only mechanical difference was that Luigi was always present alongside Mario and followed him everywhere. Shiggy made a huge deal out of how technologically impressive he thought this was, and he demonstrated Luigi following Mario for like 20 minutes while he jumped on and off a single question block.

He started talking about how everyone had always wondered how Mario really travels through pipes, and was overjoyed that this game would finally portray that. He was about to demonstrate but a very timid stage hand had to step in and stop him because he had spent too much time showcasing the Luigi AI and they needed to finish the rest of the Direct. He protested for a minute but then just kind of looked sad and started nodding quickly and stepped back a few feet so he was in partial darkness. For some reason he stayed visible in the corner of the screen looking dejected while the Direct continued.

They announced that the game was available for download right now!!, so I bought it and started playing immediately. On 1-1 I went down that 3rd pipe for coins (Luigi followed of course) and the game changed completely. Suddenly it was a hyper-realistic, extremely dark & terrifying pipe travel mini game in full 3D with surround sound that looked & felt like one of the resident evil remakes.

The pipe was running horizontally, but too narrow to stand in, so Mario had to crawl on his belly through sharp debris and thick black tar. The player had to pull Mario forward by alternating the triggers, and he would get stuck constantly so you’d have to use tools & gear like winches and climbing picks to inch forward very gradually. Every minute or so an extremely loud rumble would start approaching, and a torrent of black tar would fill the pipes. Mario had to quickly brace himself and put on a breathing apparatus to survive. It became almost impossible to move and he would get pushed backward violently.

After a while, a cutscene started that showed that Luigi had inhaled too much of the black tar and couldn’t move anymore. The mini game had been so intense that I had honestly forgotten he was following me the whole time. Mario grabbed his hand and yelled “I’ll come back for you!!” Luigi fixed him with this intense, bitter stare, slapped his hand away, and in a voice that made it clear that he thought Mario had always wanted him dead, said “No you won’t. Not for Luigi” as the tar swept him away.

Eventually I got Mario out of the pipe and the game went back to its much lighter 2D version but Mario still looked ragged as hell, covered in blood and scratches and limping. He could barely move forward and couldn’t jump very high, and there was a big pit right in front of the platform he was on, so I was stuck. I walked Mario into the pit to start the level over but the screen just stayed black for several minutes, and I figured the game had frozen.

I hit reset (the switch had a reset button I guess?) and Toad appeared like Mr. Resetti to scold me for doing so. He looked directly at the camera and said “For real plumbers there is no coming back from death.” Toad explained that because both Mario and Luigi had died in my game, they were dead everywhere, and that everybody in the world who had bought this game was now locked out of playing it forever.

I woke up feeling intensely guilty and was going to post in the Nintendo thread to apologize to everyone before I realized it had been a dream

lol i put off reading this thread for a week because of the length of this post but it was worth it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

baffling that they have "poo poo" and the nword but have to censor "gently caress" (i guess?)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

b_d posted:

baffling that they have "poo poo" and the nword but have to censor "gently caress" (i guess?)

the fcc rules for content are really stupid

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A bunch of imps were watching Bob stream a first-person open world game but with 90s pseudo-3D Doom graphics. It was a fantasy game, and he'd lit an entire city on fire. He was standing on a dock at the edge of the city while people spammed the chat explaining that he'd screwed himself and asking what he was going to do now that the city was on fire. He just said "watch this" and leapt into the ocean. Everyone made fun of him and said he was going to get killed by the monsters in the sea, which were part of the city guard. He dodged them and swam all the way to the bottom, into a portal that brought him back onto the docks of the burning city.

This was, apparently, exactly the right thing to do, and we were stunned into silence.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmso

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

A bunch of imps were watching Bob stream a first-person open world game but with 90s pseudo-3D Doom graphics. It was a fantasy game, and he'd lit an entire city on fire. He was standing on a dock at the edge of the city while people spammed the chat explaining that he'd screwed himself and asking what he was going to do now that the city was on fire. He just said "watch this" and leapt into the ocean. Everyone made fun of him and said he was going to get killed by the monsters in the sea, which were part of the city guard. He dodged them and swam all the way to the bottom, into a portal that brought him back onto the docks of the burning city.

This was, apparently, exactly the right thing to do, and we were stunned into silence.

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

e: wrong thread oops

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God Gamer Bob

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmfao classic.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just had this dream last night. i was in the passenger seat with an old friend in an alley where a bunch of people were slamming their car full speed into a concrete wall

the objective was to get the highest Repair All cost in the diablo 2 blacksmith menu, that we pulled up and hit with our minds obviously. my buddys turn comes up and we are so excited to pancake ourselves on this wall. he slams on the gas and we smash into it and total everything and I almost fly through the windshield but were laughing our asses off and hooting. almost 200k gold to repair. and hes like hold on I know how we hit 200k, check this out! he points to the backseat

there was now an old namekian in the backseat from DBZ. when we both looked at him he goes "We will restore the life water device" very sternly and this was the funniest thing in the world and we laughed for 10 minutes while he hit reverse on the car in the alley that now stretched out forever.

plows forward, were going 160mph and the steering wheel is going apeshit and were so hype. not piccolo in the back just stoic and ready to accept the fate of the wall. we smash into it and flatten the entire car and the namek shoots through the windshield and splatters into a cloud of purple blood on the stone, arms and bones flying everywhere like mortal kombat. we were frozen for a second and when we checked the repair all cost it was 320k and we screamed like we just won the lottery

hitting repair all instantly restored us and the car and the namek to the backseat but then a shitload of cops showed up. over loudspeakers they told is to get out and surrender and I knew now that they were here repair all wouldnt work, and the namek was loving gone. out of nowhere another dude I used to know yelled "ok but, if we surrender you wont kill us right? youll only shoot blanks?" as soon as he finished all the cops opened fire and killed him and I woke up

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

just had this dream last night. i was in the passenger seat with an old friend in an alley where a bunch of people were slamming their car full speed into a concrete wall

the objective was to get the highest Repair All cost in the diablo 2 blacksmith menu, that we pulled up and hit with our minds obviously. my buddys turn comes up and we are so excited to pancake ourselves on this wall. he slams on the gas and we smash into it and total everything and I almost fly through the windshield but were laughing our asses off and hooting. almost 200k gold to repair. and hes like hold on I know how we hit 200k, check this out! he points to the backseat

there was now an old namekian in the backseat from DBZ. when we both looked at him he goes "We will restore the life water device" very sternly and this was the funniest thing in the world and we laughed for 10 minutes while he hit reverse on the car in the alley that now stretched out forever.

plows forward, were going 160mph and the steering wheel is going apeshit and were so hype. not piccolo in the back just stoic and ready to accept the fate of the wall. we smash into it and flatten the entire car and the namek shoots through the windshield and splatters into a cloud of purple blood on the stone, arms and bones flying everywhere like mortal kombat. we were frozen for a second and when we checked the repair all cost it was 320k and we screamed like we just won the lottery

hitting repair all instantly restored us and the car and the namek to the backseat but then a shitload of cops showed up. over loudspeakers they told is to get out and surrender and I knew now that they were here repair all wouldnt work, and the namek was loving gone. out of nowhere another dude I used to know yelled "ok but, if we surrender you wont kill us right? youll only shoot blanks?" as soon as he finished all the cops opened fire and killed him and I woke up

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremebuff posted: