Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Some weapons have good gap closers like the 2 handed axe's charge ability. Most ranged combat trees have slowing debuffs that can be applied to enemies. But if you don't get on top of your enemy from the get-go, they might get away.

Yeah, well I mean you can reach them with the axe charge, but then they just roll away and you have to roll to catch up and then if you swing and miss you're in an animation while they're just running away from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
It's like a single player game with everyone ignoring everything around them as they run to be the first to kill the closest mob. The flagging system is a joke.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Are mobs and nodes able to be multiple tagged like in guild wars?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Got to try some of the faction pvp on a larger scale tonight, which was interesting. I’m on the green faction, which is outnumbered heavily on this server (Brobdingnag) by purple. Green was able to pony up and get Everfall with the initial purchase, and purple has contested it heavily.

It seems like the influence meta is basically to get as big of a blob as you can and run loops on the PvP objectives. Have everyone go to town, accept the faction missions, and then complete them as a group and repeat. Everfall has 3 static quests which can be completed infinitely, so you basically get into a “loop” where everyone goes from town to point a to point b back to town. On defense, we were basically trying to do the same thing to maintain influence, and even while maintaining control of the fort it was almost impossible to do.

On one hand it was kinda neat because it forced the attacking and defending blobs to fight, but it’s mostly just a disappointment If the faction quests are literally just the same 3 quests per zone and this never change. These quests are not in depth and are basic rear end “go to place and activate widget” so there’s really no excuse to not have a broader pool.

The actual zerg vs. zerg combat was super fun. There were a few times that engagements happened in chokes or on the forts and it was definitely wild getting that sort of ZvZ combat in a full 3D MMO. Healing and aoe magic weapons seem to be really strong (obviously) in these fights.

Eventually purple was able to take control, and a war is scheduled for Saturday evening. The company I’m in is the defender, so I was lucky and it was easy for me to get slotted, but kinda sucks for people who are not in that immediate guild and on a discord who need to just get chosen at random? The war selection UI is really bad and just presents an unordered list of people who signed up at the war board, showing their level and nothing else. In the past Albion online had a similar system where territory control disputes were resolved via small instanced battles, and eventually they moved away from it and replaced it with open world fights because it’s dumb as hell to have a whole faction get told “sorry you’re not in the cool kids club so you can’t participate in a game defining feature”

It’s also super weird how they have faction-controllable vulnerability windows on a game that is not a single shard mmo. This makes sense when it’s single shard but when it’s like…. a us East server… shouldn’t timers just be in USE prime time? Also lol at anyone who is on a high pop server with a queue and wants to participate in a war, hope you can log in 3 hours early or whatever so you can get an invite when it starts.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 1, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

Are mobs and nodes able to be multiple tagged like in guild wars?

Mobs? Yes in that you share in the xp. Nodes, no. Nodes are first come first serve.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

syndies on my server solicited donations from the public, bought monarch hamlet, then jacked up the prices on everything. war Saturday, can't wait.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

causticBeet posted:

In the past Albion online had a similar system where territory control disputes were resolved via small instanced battles, and eventually they moved away from it and replaced it with open world fights because it’s dumb as hell to have a whole faction get told “sorry you’re not in the cool kids club so you can’t participate in a game defining feature”

Kind of vaguely reminds me of the old Pirates of the Caribbean game which was lots of fun but the port control battles were all limited to 25 people per side. Those battles were pretty awesome with 25 big ol' ships of the line on each side squaring off to blast away at each other, although due to the timers and numbers limits I only got to participate in a few of them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, penny arcade. Still funny at times though..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, penny arcade. Still funny at times though..

Yeah well it ain’t wrong.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

We had something kind of similar happen. As marauders, we control Everfall, but a massive group of Covenant got together to start running PVP quests and take our fort. We lined up at the North Gate to start doing quests together since they're all static and start going.

We get to the chokepoint canyon you have to run through to turn in that one asset quest and start making our way back. Turn the corner and there's just a wall of golden-armored dudes staring down at us from the cliffsides.

Somehow, we managed to use the forest as cover and actually won the overall battle. It was just massive and crazy and fun in a way that I haven't felt in a long time in MMOs. For all the game's faults, the world does certainly feel very much alive.

I'm not sure how the wars will go. We just flagged our first one against the Syndicate (the server's Big Bads so to speak), and it's the only one the server has had so far.

In Alpha, people were pretty good about getting all sorts in there. Lowbies can run cannons, and it was more about will than factionalism. But, that kind of all goes out the window now that the game is open to the public.

Our biggest guild for the Marauders have been around since the beta and seem to have level heads about getting as much participation as they can, but there are like 200 people signed up right now, so there will absolutely be people mad no matter what the outcome. Who knows how it's going to go down across the game as a whole?

On the plus side, even in a huge 50v50+, the game didn't stutter at all for me. It had a lot of issues in Alpha, even in the instances Battleground zone, so that's a good sign that Lumberyard is doing its work well.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I believe there is local VOIP so I think local chat is supposed to be voiced. Which is...a unique choice

There are chat bubbles but again, since all chat is global chat you rarely see them

There's a local text chat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pussy Snorkel posted:

There's a local text chat.

I must have missed it in the menus then. People certainly don't use it much.

Re: factions, I switched to Marauders because I like the design and honestly the crusaders represent like 10% of my server, with the rest even split between green and purple. I like the armor, I like the lore. What I don't like is whoever had the bright idea to match the un-outlined faction text chat to the colors of the faction, which is now dark green for me, in a game that takes place almost entirely in forests.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This game absolutely feels like it was developed by a big tech company. Some individual pieces of the game feel really good and better than many other games out there. There is a complete lack of a cohesive experience and it feels like every team did their own thing.

Gathering is super satisfying. There are plentiful nodes to grind on for basic materials and a good hunt for rarer ones. The automatic tracking as you level is fantastic and a great quality of life feature. The gathering nodes and animations look and feel good.

Crafting is similar. Crafting a huge stack of items in one go without individual timers is a breath of fresh air compared to other games. Showing exactly how much xp you get us great as is being able to influence stats.

Combat feels good for the most part. It’s impactful and you can bring a lot of skill to it especially in PvE. Some of the weapons are a little shallow and lack good balance.

Zones are visually distinct, have interest by geography and can look beautiful at times. Some parts of the world feel too empty.

Leveling is utter dogshit. It’s going to take casual players months to hit cap and they will all likely burn out well before that. There are a lot of fun things to do in the game so they didn’t need to artificially drag out leveling so much. You could double xp from all sources and it would still be painfully slow especially after 20. There’s a lot of things that contribute to this but two main ones:

Travel sucks. Long recall cool downs, high fast travel costs at lower levels, no speed boost options outside of some limited weapons. This makes sense for PvP but makes PvE an even bigger grind. PvP quests already prevent recall and teleport unless you want to abandon them. There’s no reason there couldn’t be faster fast travel or mounts when not flagged.

Quests suck more. Boring, trivial to complete but 15 minutes of running to and fro. PvP quests are good xp and currency but will absolutely put you to sleep. PvE quests are worse. Pitiful rewards for a huge amount of time.

Outside of a bad leveling experience, the biggest issue that I run into every time I play is elevation. Every system in the game sucks when trying to deal with elevation difference. Many nodes can’t be used because of elevation differences. Attacks miss frequently because the enemy is a inch above or below you. Going down stairs is hilariously bad. Sometimes you can’t skin mobs because they died on a rock.

Enemies are a mixed bag. There are some very cool looking enemies with interesting mechanics and attack patterns. But enemy variety is very lacking overall. Lots of reused models and enemy types everywhere. Spawn rates vary between near instant and lol, you aren’t doing that quest.

Overall the game is a disjointed mess of systems that just don’t come together. There’s clearly no big picture vision, just a bunch of individual elements slammed together. Some of those systems are so good that they’ll keep me and others playing it. Some of those systems are so bad that they will eventually cause most people to quit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game really feels like it doesn't actually need the WoW-style PvE quest-based leveling experience. Honestly I'm not convinced it needs a discrete "level" parameter at all--I bet skill leveling alone would've been sufficient for a feeling of progression, with your stats maybe coming from skill tree nodes and gear instead of from assigning stat points on level up. (Maybe something like: every weapon skill tree has stat nodes and you get the stats from whichever two weapon skill trees you have equipped.)

I think New World would make more sense as a cohesive package of it was all about open-ended exploration, skilling up, and its various PvP and faction vs. faction systems and didn't try to have a main story questline at all.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

To some extent, it kind of feels like this started out more as a test project for the real mass appeal MMO they’re working on - the LOTR project that was in development.

Although now that I’m bringing it up, I can’t remember if they’re still doing that or not. Amazon definitely still has the license.

Edit : lol, they canceled it after their partnership with TenCent fell apart. AGS is such a giant ball of wasted capital.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 1, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

Leveling is utter dogshit. It’s going to take casual players months to hit cap and they will all likely burn out well before that. There are a lot of fun things to do in the game so they didn’t need to artificially drag out leveling so much. You could double xp from all sources and it would still be painfully slow especially after 20.

They know that most PvE people will quit once they reach max level. There's really nothing to do after that point, so they put a huge grind in to make it less obvious that this is the case.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

VanillaGorilla posted:

Although now that I’m bringing it up, I can’t remember if they’re still doing that or not. Amazon definitely still has the license.

They aren’t. After Tencent purchased Leyou (who owned whatever company was co-developing the game) they weren’t able to renegotiate whatever contracts were in place so it was cancelled.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Travel sucks. Long recall cool downs, high fast travel costs at lower levels, no speed boost options outside of some limited weapons. This makes sense for PvP but makes PvE an even bigger grind. PvP quests already prevent recall and teleport unless you want to abandon them. There’s no reason there couldn’t be faster fast travel or mounts when not flagged.

Quests suck more. Boring, trivial to complete but 15 minutes of running to and fro. PvP quests are good xp and currency but will absolutely put you to sleep. PvE quests are worse. Pitiful rewards for a huge amount of time.

These two things and the UI of the faction quest givers reminds me a lot of Sea of Thieves. Receptive quests to grind up rep and gold so you can get shinies, all broken down by a "do you want to pick flowers or kill skeletons" interface. The trick being that in SoT the system was built so there is a danger to chaining the quests together and there was an interesting design to moving to areas since you're sailing a boat. Here it's just unflagged autorunning.

Imo bump up the PvE quest rewards a lot and then make flagging required.

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

:shepface::shepface::shepface:
I really want to give this game a try, but the mixed feelings in this thread is making me hesitate. I was in the very, very early alpha test of the game and I had a lot of fun but it sounds like the game has changed completely.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Call me crazy but as a long time RuneScape/osrs player I like that huge grind. When I played WoW I enjoyed battlegrounds & PvP but it was so fast to level things that I quickly burnt out that treadmill.

The only thing that makes me skeptical about the New World grind is that I can't do it while half braindead/AFK/watching a movie like I can with RuneScape. But I'm willing to give it a try.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

a dingus posted:

Call me crazy but as a long time RuneScape/osrs player I like that huge grind. When I played WoW I enjoyed battlegrounds & PvP but it was so fast to level things that I quickly burnt out that treadmill.

The only thing that makes me skeptical about the New World grind is that I can't do it while half braindead/AFK/watching a movie like I can with RuneScape. But I'm willing to give it a try.

I've been watching Big Fat Quiz while chopping trees

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lawlicaust posted:

This game absolutely feels like it was developed by a big tech company. Some individual pieces of the game feel really good and better than many other games out there. There is a complete lack of a cohesive experience and it feels like every team did their own thing.

Gathering is super satisfying. There are plentiful nodes to grind on for basic materials and a good hunt for rarer ones. The automatic tracking as you level is fantastic and a great quality of life feature. The gathering nodes and animations look and feel good.

Crafting is similar. Crafting a huge stack of items in one go without individual timers is a breath of fresh air compared to other games. Showing exactly how much xp you get us great as is being able to influence stats.

Combat feels good for the most part. It’s impactful and you can bring a lot of skill to it especially in PvE. Some of the weapons are a little shallow and lack good balance.

Zones are visually distinct, have interest by geography and can look beautiful at times. Some parts of the world feel too empty.

Leveling is utter dogshit. It’s going to take casual players months to hit cap and they will all likely burn out well before that. There are a lot of fun things to do in the game so they didn’t need to artificially drag out leveling so much. You could double xp from all sources and it would still be painfully slow especially after 20. There’s a lot of things that contribute to this but two main ones:

Outside of a bad leveling experience, the biggest issue that I run into every time I play is elevation. Every system in the game sucks when trying to deal with elevation difference. Many nodes can’t be used because of elevation differences. Attacks miss frequently because the enemy is a inch above or below you. Going down stairs is hilariously bad. Sometimes you can’t skin mobs because they died on a rock.

Enemies are a mixed bag. There are some very cool looking enemies with interesting mechanics and attack patterns. But enemy variety is very lacking overall. Lots of reused models and enemy types everywhere. Spawn rates vary between near instant and lol, you aren’t doing that quest.

Overall the game is a disjointed mess of systems that just don’t come together. There’s clearly no big picture vision, just a bunch of individual elements slammed together. Some of those systems are so good that they’ll keep me and others playing it. Some of those systems are so bad that they will eventually cause most people to quit.
Agreed with one exception: I don't think the four starter zones feel all that different so until I get to 25 it's all normal rear end forests and beaches to me. It's a magic island cut off from the rest of the world so why they didn't lean into that with some kind of Land of the Lost/Skull Island vibe of dense jungle with weird prehistoric beasts is beyond me. Still not super original, but at least more interesting than boars and wolves.

Travel time seems like a particularly egregious issue; when the best advice for a new player is to kill themselves after completing a quest so they can port to the nearest town, the devs should know that they messed up bad.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Harrow posted:

This game really feels like it doesn't actually need the WoW-style PvE quest-based leveling experience. Honestly I'm not convinced it needs a discrete "level" parameter at all--I bet skill leveling alone would've been sufficient for a feeling of progression, with your stats maybe coming from skill tree nodes and gear instead of from assigning stat points on level up. (Maybe something like: every weapon skill tree has stat nodes and you get the stats from whichever two weapon skill trees you have equipped.)

I think New World would make more sense as a cohesive package of it was all about open-ended exploration, skilling up, and its various PvP and faction vs. faction systems and didn't try to have a main story questline at all.

I completely agree. The level part of this should have either been non-existent or so quick that it isn’t an issue. As is, it’s going to lead to a lot of inequality in PvP which will feel really bad for lots of people. This is especially true with the low server caps and people not able to progress at all.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VanillaGorilla posted:

To some extent, it kind of feels like this started out more as a test project for the real mass appeal MMO they’re working on - the LOTR project that was in development.

Edit : lol, they canceled it after their partnership with TenCent fell apart. AGS is such a giant ball of wasted capital.

This is why it’s honestly going to end up being a good investment. Amazon doesn’t have any new games in development that I know of so they’re going to double down on this game and do their absolute best to ensure it doesn’t fail. I could see it legit just being a test for their LOTRO but that’s gone now so they want their money and they seem to understand good game=$$$

There’s not even that much content but if they keep adding it with zones and more ways to PvP I could see goons playing this game for years to come. But we’ll just have to see.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ash1138 posted:

Travel time seems like a particularly egregious issue; when the best advice for a new player is to kill themselves after completing a quest so they can port to the nearest town, the devs should know that they messed up bad.

I disagree with this. Yes it can be annoying, but the whole point of the campfire system is that you are supposed to be traveling to places and moving outward from towns, bringing a respawn point and crafting station with you. The quest design could work better if it wasn't town focused as a result, but putting mounts in or whatever would make the maps feel absolutely microscopic since each zone is actually not that large.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Anita Dickinme posted:

This is why it’s honestly going to end up being a good investment. Amazon doesn’t have any new games in development that I know of so they’re going to double down on this game and do their absolute best to ensure it doesn’t fail. I could see it legit just being a test for their LOTRO but that’s gone now so they want their money and they seem to understand good game=$$$

There’s not even that much content but if they keep adding it with zones and more ways to PvP I could see goons playing this game for years to come. But we’ll just have to see.

Big agree here - I think the game has some pretty significant gaps, but they can almost all be solved by adding more content. Like most of my complaints about PVP and factions feeling half baked are solved if you just add the New World equivalent of EVEs nullsec or Albions black zone - forced PvP zones with player controlled territory and end game resources/dungeon spawns.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I disagree with this. Yes it can be annoying, but the whole point of the campfire system is that you are supposed to be traveling to places and moving outward from towns, bringing a respawn point and crafting station with you. The quest design could work better if it wasn't town focused as a result, but putting mounts in or whatever would make the maps feel absolutely microscopic since each zone is actually not that large.
I didn't say anything about adding mounts and suiciding as a free fast travel back to town to turn in quests completely bypasses the campfire system anyway. How about they allow fast travel from campsites? That way players still need to hoof it back to their camp (or drop a new one outside of the POI exclusion area) and they're still eating the distance cost and probably not getting discounts either.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Happy Dolphin posted:

I really want to give this game a try, but the mixed feelings in this thread is making me hesitate. I was in the very, very early alpha test of the game and I had a lot of fun but it sounds like the game has changed completely.

there's always goons who absolutely hate games but post about them non stop. I didn't play the alpha or beta but I'm having fun so far.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Happy Dolphin posted:

The game is very fun at some points but also has a lot of opportunities. Despite my negative comments earlier, I am having fun in the day to day gathering and fighting. The big picture is the problem.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

I didn't say anything about adding mounts and suiciding as a free fast travel back to town to turn in quests completely bypasses the campfire system anyway. How about they allow fast travel from campsites? That way players still need to hoof it back to their camp (or drop a new one outside of the POI exclusion area) and they're still eating the distance cost and probably not getting discounts either.

At early tiers. It's cheaper to replace then repair gear right now but that will not be the case at end game

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

this game is absolutely perfect for watching football. got 3 levels watching the cat game yesterday--harvesting big boulders and big trees lets you look at the other screen long enough to watch a play, then as soon as the whistle blows you can move on to the next node. Travel during breaks in the action. furiously smashing my vape pen, watching football, mining trees.

there was a period of time where every new game that came out was derided as "oblivion with guns" but that's really what this is lol. It does get marginally more interesting once you get your staff in the main quest and can start dealing with corruption. which are oblivion gates but a little more cthulhuy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I hit 24 (and then 25) and moved over to Brightwood, but I'm finding that a bunch of the quests / board stuff sends me to spots where I get dumpstered by level 33/34 monsters while I'm trying to loot a buckle from random chests.

Is there a different kind of zone progression I should be doing?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm 28 and just now considering to maybe step foot into brightwood. my level 30 friend is getting wrecked by 33s and 34s and he's better than me, it seems there's a skill jump in pve combat around that point

I'm totally happy questing in the starting zones, completing town quests meant for level 16s still has me getting gainz

I did a fishing quest in brightwood and it sucked getting to the npc, next fishing quest is rated level 35 and gently caress that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I strongly agree with all of this.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Game overall is dogshit, but I will chop trees, gather weed and mine rocks all day every day. Harvester of the Year.

I'm having more fun doing the things that aren't their intended focus than I am participating in this conflict for whatever reason. The leveling system is so not needed here and is the one game I've seen where a UO system of stat raising would have worked alright.

Hit 20 and looked to do my Marauders promotion quest which I've had in my log since 12ish or so. People say I got to be level 25 to do it tho? The gently caress?

I think if the game had a monthly sub, a lot of people would be very less forgiving here. But as it is, log on )if you can because queues), do poo poo, get out. Nothing about this game makes me think about it and just have that itch all day to be able to play it. My best times so far were again, logging in at 3 in the morning and just scooping up resources.

Happy for those that are loving it tho. Hope it continues to give out fun for them.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Givin posted:

Hit 20 and looked to do my Marauders promotion quest which I've had in my log since 12ish or so. People say I got to be level 25 to do it tho? The gently caress?

Yeah it's really dumb, can confirm on Covenant. I ran all the loving way to the town at 20 and the faction rep was like "lol you need to be 24 to do quests here". I'm capped on rep and I've just been buying random poo poo so I don't cap on currency.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm enjoying the game but it is definitely a rollercoaster ride as far as design decisions go. Certain elements are very well done, then you get hit with something extremely mid 2000s, and repeat. The sound design is phenomenal, in particular the sound of chopping, mining, muskets, and the hammer's path of destiny ability are things that have really stood out to me. They all sound so punchy.

The grind is going to make a lot of people drop. I've seen discussions in game and elsewhere where people are saying getting to 60 is so easy and everybody is gonna be 60 in a week, blah blah. No chance, even if queues weren't a huge problem. There is just so much running back and forth to locations to kill X mobs and/or loot Y chests. If you dig the crafting then you'll be gathering stuff along the way, but for the most part that's what you're going to be doing. I forgot where I saw this, maybe it was some random tweet, but they implied you could be a crafter without killing any mobs and that's just nonsense. You're going to want to level up, mobs higher level than you aggro from pretty far away and in general things chase you for a very long time before tethering compared to most other games I've played. Trying to sneak around under-levelled gathering stuff seems theoretically possible but very miserable.

i say swears online posted:

I'm 28 and just now considering to maybe step foot into brightwood. my level 30 friend is getting wrecked by 33s and 34s and he's better than me, it seems there's a skill jump in pve combat around that point

The mid 20s are where I felt like weapons and armor choice started mattering a lot more. I was initially levelling in light armor with ice gauntlet and fire staff. Fire staff sucks early as I found out. Ice gauntlet is great, ice storm is amazing, but I was having more mana issues than I'd like, and I felt very squishy. Certain areas with tons of mobs running around felt rather dangerous. It was doable but I had to pay a lot of attention and be careful about how I aggro'd mobs, and indoor fights versus multiple enemies got sketchy real fast. I respeced into a strength and heavy armor build and went hatchet/hammer and it felt so much better. Now I just run full speed into buildings looking for chests and I don't really care about how many enemies come with me, I push hammer buttons which heal me based on damage dealt (more mobs, more healing), and the mobs end up mostly dead, then I switch to hatchet to finish them off and berserk to heal up more and move on.

Givin posted:

That drat quest says level 20 on it for some reason, it will send you to another city (cutlass?), but the npc there won't actually give you the follow-up quest to advance until level 24. I got trolled hard by this.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Lawlicaust posted:

I feel like this sums it up pretty well. It can be fun--very fun even--but there's also not much of a point to most things.

I think I posted this before, but basically in marketing there's a concept of asking "three questions deep" that really applies to game design, too. So, like:

We're adding crafting.
1. Why are they crafting? To make items.
2. Why do they need these items? To make money.
3. Why do they want money?

It's like the devs completely forgot to ask the third question, which is probably the most important because it gets to the psychological reasoning behind why players play the game. Maybe they want money for cool glams. Or their house. But then why do they want their house?

A lot of systems seem to be here because it's an MMO and they're supposed to be there. The underlying ability for players to create their own personality and end-game via their characters is really not there.

Like, ok, we capture a territory. Now what? We get lower taxes? Oh no not my five gold that takes two seconds to farm up. And I can't put things on a cool transport wagon to become a fiefdom trucker, so I don't really feel like hauling a bunch of things from my main city to the outlying reaches for whatever reason. Best just to get to end-game and then Inn recall with my logging hauls and whatnot.

I mean, it's a fun game for now. I enjoy wasting my time. But there's also not much of a point to most things in the long term. I don't think the game will fail or anything, and it seems like a nice option to hop into a few times a year, see what's new, maybe fight some goodfites, and then go back to whatever game I was playing before.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alright, what is the deal with resources on the compass???

At what range do they pop up? Right now, I believe that the ranges are determined by resource type. Rabbits show up, then I walk into the next area/zone to get them after 5 min. Ore basically only shows up when I am on top of it, often I spot it before it's on my compass.

Also, we can't turn things off. I don't care that there are nuts around me, I'm not looking for nuts!

All that being said, I like the gathering/crafting. I just wish towns would upgrade their armory's to level 3 so I can make new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ASAPI posted:

Alright, what is the deal with resources on the compass???

At what range do they pop up? Right now, I believe that the ranges are determined by resource type. Rabbits show up, then I walk into the next area/zone to get them after 5 min. Ore basically only shows up when I am on top of it, often I spot it before it's on my compass.

Also, we can't turn things off. I don't care that there are nuts around me, I'm not looking for nuts!

All that being said, I like the gathering/crafting. I just wish towns would upgrade their armory's to level 3 so I can make new poo poo.

Yeah, it's completely nonsensical. I have the same comment about the ore tracking, especially the later elemental nodes you can see way before they show up on the compass, it's only helpful for stumbling on ones in really weird spots. Meanwhile the herb ones show up at a decent range, still could be further, but it's enough so that it's useful to look at the overworld map to see them. The animal tracking is very weird. There definitely needs to be some filter for what you do/don't want to track.