Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Holy poo poo Shoka please just understand the point I'm trying to make about Ayano. Like I think I like the time travelling more than most but this sucks

Just look up a guide, I generally like the time stuff too but that section is by far the most miserable application of it. They really should have just grayed out the “bad” answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did the optional dive in Another Day but I only got bronze, can I start the day over whenever I want to try again? My characters’ str stats are obviously not good enough so I’d like to grind a little and try again.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did the optional dive in Another Day but I only got bronze, can I start the day over whenever I want to try again? My characters’ str stats are obviously not good enough so I’d like to grind a little and try again.

Yes. I forget if you have to actually COMPLETE Another Day first, but every time you leave it and come back, it's like you're starting from the beginning and all the events- including optional stuff like the bonus boss- will be reset.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Another Day is, well, another day so it runs on the same rules as every other day. You can leave whenever but if you haven't finished it yet, when you come back it carries on where you left.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
For those interested, Square-Enix finally gave a definite release date for the PC version of NEO: September 28th. Stretching "Summer 2021" a bit, but at least it's here.

It's an Epic Store exclusive, in case you forgot.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Rea posted:

It's an Epic Store exclusive, in case you forgot.

I mean, most of the time I forget the Epic Store exists, period.

I'm at the fight with the plague noise inside kanons head and I have such big emotions!!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I hope someone will be able to tell us if the PC version is decompilable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lotus Aura posted:

Another Day is, well, another day so it runs on the same rules as every other day. You can leave whenever but if you haven't finished it yet, when you come back it carries on where you left.

Do you have to beat the super difficult boss to finish Another Day? I had enough FP to unlock Ultimate difficulty but not enough for the boss noise and I don’t wanna attempt the super boss until I’ve increased my characters stats more.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do you have to beat the super difficult boss to finish Another Day? I had enough FP to unlock Ultimate difficulty but not enough for the boss noise and I don’t wanna attempt the super boss until I’ve increased my characters stats more.

To 'beat' Another Day, all you have to do is beat all the Alpha bosses, which are just harder versions of Iris Cantus, Grus Cantus, Cervus Cantus, and Shiba. The secret boss, the boss rush, and the final Dive are all optional unless you wanna go for 100%.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

serefin99 posted:

To 'beat' Another Day, all you have to do is beat all the Alpha bosses, which are just harder versions of Iris Cantus, Grus Cantus, Cervus Cantus, and Shiba. The secret boss, the boss rush, and the final Dive are all optional unless you wanna go for 100%.

Ok awesome, thanks for the clarification.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm currently in the middle of Final Day Prime Prime and Jesus christ its so long. It's sooooo long you guys

It's 3am and I have feelings.

Maybe the very end, which I've not hit yet, will turn me around on it but man I think I'm disliking this ending. Having the entire old cast show up has kind of crowded things. Sure rindo is still important bc time travel and later, survivors guilt poo poo, but everyone else is just in the background. The grown ups are here to take care of things I guess

Getting all that plot poo poo dumped at the end has been pretty unsatisfying too. Shiba and hishima being buds? Angels? Executors? Was any of this alluded to before right now? I guess we got a lot of 'Shiba changed' and then a sole 'Shiba must be lonely' but man idk I guess I dislike learning too much new information in the final hour

It's cool how the noise multiply every time rindo turns back time for a better result. I'm glad the game is taking a solid position on save scumming.

The bit with Haz I did enjoy, even though I was skeptical about a new character getting introduced this late, at first. I was totally braced that that guy to be Joshua bc why the hell not, everyone else is here. It did do an alright job of conveying the empty feeling of going places associated with loss though. It got to me

TWEWY ends on Neku not understanding Joshua but trusting him anyway, right? One final trust your partner also your partner is Literally God? Fret and nagi's powers are observable. From the gangs perspective, rindos powers are unproven other than he's right all the time and more powerful characters can testify to them. That's a big amount of trust too and while maybe I just powered past it and forgot something I guess I'm surprised this game hasn't really explored that theme more. Not that it had to, I guess? It is in fact a different game. I did enjoy the contrast in Neku & CAT vs Rindo & an0ther though. It almost calls out the previous game in that regard.

All these teenagers are gonna need so much therapy.

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 25, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i didn’t mind everyone coming back cause like someone else said it’s a nice change from how depressing and isolated the first game feels come endgame. I don’t feel like Neku or even Beat stole the spotlight away from the NEO crew, but idk if I wanna say anymore right this minute before you actually get to see the ending play out.

And Fret definitely needs some therapy, yeah.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Last Celebration posted:

i didn’t mind everyone coming back cause like someone else said it’s a nice change from how depressing and isolated the first game feels come endgame. I don’t feel like Neku or even Beat stole the spotlight away from the NEO crew, but idk if I wanna say anymore right this minute before you actually get to see the ending play out.

And Fret definitely needs some therapy, yeah.

Hell, I think Beat joining helped flesh the NEO crew out. I liked how he and Fret were instantly bros.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Josh shows up and is like 'let's celebrate this chance encounter with a little game' and I was immediately like 'if it's fuckin tin pin slammer I swear to god-'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Josh shows up and is like 'let's celebrate this chance encounter with a little game' and I was immediately like 'if it's fuckin tin pin slammer I swear to god-'

Thankfully, aside from a brief mention at the beginning of Another Day that particular minigame is completely absent from NEO.

And yes, Beat and Fret are great

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's very on brand for Joshua to show up like "I definitely would have helped, probably" and we all know he didn't. And there might even be a good reason in the secret reports or whatever but Joshua wouldn't tell us that anyway, he loves being an inscrutable rear end in a top hat.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I need an adult Shooter Dan, God dammit

Anyway I finished the main plot and I'm glad Rindos Group got one more application of their powers, although nagis 'negative imagination' getting immediately swept away was like 'oh..... Ok'

The boss fight was very fun and getting some character development mid fight was nice.

I'll have more thoughts after some Processing but I do agree that fret and beat were great.

This game kind of reminds me of Digimon Adventure 02.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Twewys Another Day had them all obsessed with tin pin so if this games Another Day doesn't have them all as elestra lore experts imma riot

That or fango

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Killingyouguy! posted:

This game kind of reminds me of Digimon Adventure 02.

Same in that it's better than the original

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Same in that it's better than the original

Now we just need a third iteration where all the main cast has played award winning game The World Ends With You on their Nintendo Switches

e: and the government gets involved

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

It's very on brand for Joshua to show up like "I definitely would have helped, probably" and we all know he didn't. And there might even be a good reason in the secret reports or whatever but Joshua wouldn't tell us that anyway, he loves being an inscrutable rear end in a top hat.

The secret supports say quite clearly that Joshua showed up to make Neku feel slightly better and he didn't do jack poo poo, everything getting fixed was entirely the party

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

Now we just need a third iteration where all the main cast has played award winning game The World Ends With You on their Nintendo Switches

e: and the government gets involved

You want a game where the TWEWY Shibuya is a ficitonal world the protagonists get pulled in to and eventually fight off eldritch beings born from both worlds with the power of friendship and love and it's mostly about restoring the minds and hearts of their sad friends? That's just Kingdom Hearts.

and just like Tamers it's the best of the set.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

god dammit

e: does the government get involved in kingdom hearts???

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

god dammit

Mickey Mouse is a king, does that count?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

god dammit

Mickey is the Head of State and Head of Government as King.

Donald and Goofy are explicitly his agents sent out to deal with this monster nonsense.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Donald and Goofy: CIA spooks?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Donald and Goofy: CIA spooks?

Xcom but they're constantly getting into hilarious physical gags.

So Xcom.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
PC version seems to be up? Does anyone have it and can confirm if it’s a standard Unity structure?

Edit: Yes, but IL2CPP. IL2CPP dumper works without detecting protection, however, and oddly the namespaces are in English.

Edit: Bepinex works if you use Bepinex 6 and add UnityVersion=2019.4.11 to the config file. Or it did work once, after the first try, it seems to detect it and restart to kick it out?

hyphz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 28, 2021

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Still kind of amazed that they made this and that it was a really satisfying follow-up that adapted the spirit of the original game play to a single screen/controller experience while bringing everything else into the new decade in a way that didn't compromise any of the style or emotional core of the original game

If I didn't have so many other games to play for a first time I'd probably consider ng+ cause I'm already missing my Twister friends so much

Also I'm not gonna go back to find and quote it but that twitter post with Suzy K's actor doing the Steiner Math bit was goddamn phenomenal

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, imho the best surprise of 2021 was that they made a sequel to The World Ends With You and it was more or less everything I could have wanted. Well, almost, I’m in the middle of the postgame pin/Secret Report collections and even with six pins I cannot possibly fathom why I would ever use the chain fence pins except for completionist leveling, but even them I’m sure there were probably as many/more sucky pin lines and just plan sucky pins (Popguin comes immediately to mind) in the first game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I really hope we get a third game at some point (I wonder if NEO will wind up getting its own "final mix" version in the future as well like the first one did), though I'm not really sure where you could take it at this point.

Also bring back Suzy like you did with Minamimoto and make him a party member next time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, imho the best surprise of 2021 was that they made a sequel to The World Ends With You and it was more or less everything I could have wanted. Well, almost, I’m in the middle of the postgame pin/Secret Report collections and even with six pins I cannot possibly fathom why I would ever use the chain fence pins except for completionist leveling, but even them I’m sure there were probably as many/more sucky pin lines and just plan sucky pins (Popguin comes immediately to mind) in the first game.

The chain status effect is the best debuff in the game

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The chain status effect is the best debuff in the game

Really? I mean, it is cause it just stops the enemy for a longer period of time than Stone/Stun/Freeze but those are tied to stuff you can constantly apply as opposed to one chain every twenty-something seconds. Unless there’s something I’m missing, I have a lot of those chain pins left and I’d love to be entirely wrong.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just got this game from my brother but I can't remember a single thing from the first game, I played it over ten years ago. Its insane they released such a direct sequel to such an old game. I guess I gotta watch the anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just got this game from my brother but I can't remember a single thing from the first game, I played it over ten years ago. Its insane they released such a direct sequel to such an old game. I guess I gotta watch the anime.

Yeah, I’d recommend either watching the anime, an online playthrough (including A New Day from the Switch version), and/or just reading a wiki article beforehand as there is direct continuity between the two entires.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

The new main cast also have no idea what's going on, which tries to operate as an audience surrogate for new players, but I'm not sure how well it works. I love the first game and replayed it in preparation for this one, but I still wish they'd kept the setting and format but otherwise told a completely separate story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So the NEO OST is on Spotify, that’s neat. Expected that to take longer. It’s also making me realize how much it blows that the OST is better than vanilla TWEWY (at least the uncompressed version) but you get to hear less of the battle themes, not just cause some of them are boss-only but there’s a lot like Twister that you’d think would be in the cycle that…just aren’t.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love both soundtracks, but I felt surprised in a bad way by the NEO Mix versions of the OG tracks, even with the remix effort the vibe just felt dated against the rest of bright and shiny 2021 shibuya.
(tbf, some of the new battle songs felt misplaced too despite ruling when listened to on their own) (I think this might actually have more to do with how the new shibuya is drawn and lit at least in the earlier weeks)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Both soundtracks are great in my opinion but personally I feel like TWEWY had the better ending theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Larryb posted:

Both soundtracks are great in my opinion but personally I feel like TWEWY had the better ending theme.

Rockin Rockin Live Ver owns tho