Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lid posted:

How soon do you think it will be before KENTA and Naomichi Marufuji get into the Hall of Fame?
Have either of them been on a ballot yet? They're both over 35/over 15 years in the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Neither were on the 2020 ballot which was the most recent.

WRESTLING IN JAPAN CANDIDATES
Jun Akiyama
Cima
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Hayabusa
Kota Ibushi
Kyoko Inoue
Tomohiro Ishii
Tetsuya Naito
Kenny Omega
Meiko Satomura
Akira Taue

Lid fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 30, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They aren't getting in this year cause it's Okada's first year on the Ballot. But down the road? Tough question given both weren't on top of Noah during the big years and KENTA's run in NXT and even in New Japan has been so so. But also they were just super influential to the indy scene thanks to their ROH stuff that they have a case (after Taue gets in mind you)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Martel looked way better than pretty much every other old-timer WCW trotted out around that time. He was still in good shape and could work at a decent pace. It's a shame he got injured, but tbh I can't picture him going much further than forever feuding over the TV title until WCW imploded.

Got to love how the commentators hyped him up for the entire first half of his debut Nitro. "TONIGHT WE WILL SEE THE DEBUT OF A FORMER WWF tag team CHAMPION!!"

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Settle a bet for me - if Speaking out hadn’t happened, Chikara would be AEWs feeder fed and Quakenbush would have a trainer role

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did someone really agree to abide by this forum's opinion

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Manwithastick posted:

Settle a bet for me - if Speaking out hadn’t happened, Chikara would be AEWs feeder fed and Quakenbush would have a trainer role

I don't think so. Chikara folks kind of seem to still be rough around the edges and not ready to be fed directly into an AEW. Maybe the Quack part could have happened, especially since he did some trainer stints at the PC. I think places like PWG and GCW give a better sense of wrestlers who are closer to being ready for a shot in AEW than the Chikara roster ever did.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They aren't getting in this year cause it's Okada's first year on the Ballot. But down the road? Tough question given both weren't on top of Noah during the big years and KENTA's run in NXT and even in New Japan has been so so. But also they were just super influential to the indy scene thanks to their ROH stuff that they have a case (after Taue gets in mind you)

Not even that, while not on top of NOAH during the golden age them both individually and as a tag team were hugely influential into modern wrestling and the generation before the modern one (the Danielson/Punk era). While the Hideo Itami may work against KENTA it's not nearly as severe as how Mistico still isn't in the HoF because of Sin Cara as the Hideo years were almost a gold watch run and past his prime. When modern wrestlers list you continuously as an influence on them and you can see their style through so many wrestlers its hard to ignore them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
KENTA and Marufuji are not getting in without some insane late career revival for both. I love both guys, especially Marufuji, but neither is going to come close.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Watching the Sammy vs. Miro match on Dynamite and Sammy hit like a Shooting Star Press off the top rope into a DDT, I think. (well, the possibility was there anyway, kind of) Has anyone done that before?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 30, 2021

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Manwithastick posted:

Almost no chance. Even though there are a lot of Chikara alums in AEW, most of them had pretty much stopped working there regularly for 2-3 years before Chikara collapsed. Quack pissed off a lot of people who stayed loyal to him longer than any of them should have.

Also Tony Khan is not into the cartoony poo poo. He flat out said he regretted some of the early Matt Hardy supernatural nonsense, so I doubt he would have been interested in having Quack around in any sort of influential capacity.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Unperson_47 posted:

Watching the Sammy vs. Miro match on Dynamite and Sammy hit like a Shooting Star Press off the top rope into a DDT, I think. (well, the possibility was there anyway, kind of) Has anyone done that before?

I think someone recently did an SSP into a cutter.

In this instance, it looked like Miro was supposed to catch Sammy and throw him, but surprisingly catching someone in the air doing an SSP is difficult and they over-rotated a bit.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

TVGM posted:

437 - 13:10

Thank you!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Quackenbush would have zero role with the company. He was not well liked before Speaking Out and that just slammed the door.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRafTer posted:

Quackenbush would have zero role with the company. He was not well liked before Speaking Out and that just slammed the door.

Yes, but have you considered that Fire Ant was more popular than Orange Cassidy?*

*In Quack's own words

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Mideon was a brainwashed Phineas Godwin I/Dennis Knight, so I guess they were technically all the same person.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Until I saw the name Mideon I had completely forgotten that he had like a six month long gimmick that was just "naked with a fanny pack"

EDIT: Isn't he like an accomplished chef or something at this point?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Manwithastick posted:

I want to say that at most, we would have seen some more recent Chikara students on Dark shows based on Cassidy and Eddie still being on good terms with Quack. Then again, he was super protective about his students getting booked elsewhere because he wanted power over them, so probably not.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Not that I want them to get work again but I'd like to see the Starr vs. Quackenbush match from JJSB2 with a crowd that knows they're both shitheads.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Not that I want them to get work again but I'd like to see the Starr vs. Quackenbush match from JJSB2 with a crowd that knows they're both shitheads.

I forgot Quack was on that show. What an odd fit.

Then again, Joey's Spring Break shows are all about "Wait, what?" bookings

Gavok posted:

I want to say that at most, we would have seen some more recent Chikara students on Dark shows based on Cassidy and Eddie still being on good terms with Quack. Then again, he was super protective about his students getting booked elsewhere because he wanted power over them, so probably not.

I've long suspected that Jigsaw stopped showing up in ROH and TNA because Quack said so.

Might be for the best in TNA, Russo might have gotten wind of him being Jigsaw elsewhere and given him a Saw gimmick.

I know years ago Hero did a long shoot and like 2/3 of it was dedicated to talking about why he left Chikara and why he and Quack fell out, but I don't know many details, other than he thinks Hallowicked was done a disservice by limiting his bookings and could have been a big indy star. I agree with that, Hallowicked, from a wrestling standpoint, is Quack's best student (the best complete package is Kingston).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everything I read about Chikara is just a kick in the face, but like more. They got me back into wrestling. :smith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Everything I read about Chikara is just a kick in the face, but like more. They got me back into wrestling. :smith:

It's a huge bummer because both King of Trios and Young Lions Cup are fun tourney ideas, and it's my hope that AEW swipes them.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dawgstar posted:

Same :smith:

At least the memories are still there, stuff like Kingston vs Claudio and the first time Momo no Seishun or Kota Ibushi worked shows in America

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

Same :smith:

and the first time Kota Ibushi worked shows in America

Yeah Ring of Honor used to be really great.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It appears commentary lied to me, the last 12 years may as well not have existed

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dawgstar posted:

Someone I felt bad for (you know, after all the abused and underpaid) was the Whisper. He was a big part of their latter years, was pretty good in the ring, was fun and charismatic and was being built up as the next top face to the point that he won the promotion's final match. A few months back, there was discussion on Twitter about whether or not Chikara was better off never coming back after the Ashes storyline. In response to the discussions, Whisper (who showed up a year or so after Ashes) tweeted some depressing stuff about feeling worthless and how his whole Chikara career now feels like a waste of time that he can't proudly look back on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have there been many conversations about what the plan for HHH was if he doesn't tear his quad pre- Invasion?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Have there been many conversations about what the plan for HHH was if he doesn't tear his quad pre- Invasion?

wild-rear end guess: he probably valiantly goes over those WCW losers and defends the honor of Vince McMahon and WWE. the matches main event PPVs and take 30-45 minutes of slow, intermittent spots, lots of lovely punches.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I want to say the original plan was his partnership with Austin breaking down and HHH feuding with him as a face. With how the Invasion's early days shook out, though, I think they might have made HHH the top defector instead of Austin and started his Ric Flair tribute act a little earlier.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why did Bam Bam Bigelow never stick around a promotion very long? Was that just his thing? I mean, I know he's said he was up for the WWF World Title but "that doesn't work for me, brother" and I get why that would tick Bigelow off, but he just kind of bounced around.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm pretty sure he fell foul of a lot of backstage bullshit. Real shame,as he was someone that was squandered in the US

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Why did Bam Bam Bigelow never stick around a promotion very long? Was that just his thing? I mean, I know he's said he was up for the WWF World Title but "that doesn't work for me, brother" and I get why that would tick Bigelow off, but he just kind of bounced around.

He was supposed to get a big push after putting over LT at WM. Kliq squashed that because he didn't get along with Hall & Nash. This caused him to leave.

I think he left ECW for the same reason most did, his checks were bouncing. They pushed him pretty hard. And WCW probably offered him good money but they certainly weren't using him well.

He wasn't treated well despite being a really talented big man. I knows he's said his first WWE departure was his fault to some degree, I believe he stated that he wasn't mature enough for the push he was getting.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
other than Flash Flanagan, Reckless Youth and Rockin' Rebel (maybe?) who were the top 90s indie guys who never quite made it to the major leagues (not counting cup of coffee runs)?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Spermgod posted:

other than Flash Flanagan, Reckless Youth and Rockin' Rebel (maybe?) who were the top 90s indie guys who never quite made it to the major leagues (not counting cup of coffee runs)?

I remember Ace Darling being hyped up pretty often by the Apter mags but he only made a handful of WWF appearances. His tag partner, Devon Storm, was much more successful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spermgod posted:

Rockin' Rebel only ever got booked because he had a PA promoters license & him being on your show was the cost of using it. He was bad at wrestling and clearly an absolute piece of garbage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spermgod posted:

Rebel was the shits and got booked frequently because he had a promoters license.

I remember Meltz citing an indy guy who passed away a few years ago named Stephen DeLeon who was extremely well respected in California but only got jobber gigs for bigger companies.

A handful of others I can think of: "Brown Bomber" Robert Thompson (he worked APW a bunch), Tech Nine (worked the original ISW when they did Warped Tour, put over by Meltz a few times as a great athlete), The Ballards (even more inspired by Slapshot than the Dudleys were), Chance Beckett (made a Super 8 tournament finals, lost to Paul London).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

Mike Modest would definitely be one of those guys, right down to a couple of cups of coffee.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Mike Modest would definitely be one of those guys, right down to a couple of cups of coffee.

Donovan Morgan, too.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Do we count EZ Money/Jason Jett or does his ECW run disqualify him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

Do we count EZ Money/Jason Jett or does his ECW run disqualify him?

He worked for WCW, WWE (never on TV, mind) ROH, and TNA too, so I'm gonna say he doesn’t count