Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

The biggest thing that HAS changed is the food system, and I have to say that overall I'm not a fan.

You absolutely do not need minced meat stew, it's like a 5hp difference. Carrot stew/queens jam and two types of grilled meat worked fine for swamp before the patch and it works perfectly fine afterwards as well. If anything it's better and easier now if you just cook deer and make deer stew, one type of meat for two meat slots. Minced meat and other fancy dishes are for when you're killing a boss and want absolutely all you can get, or for when you have spare ingredients to burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Emerged from a swamp at night into my first discovered plains right on top of a fuling village. Panicked and made for a nearby mountain top Portal I'd dropped using a different vector than from where I emerged only to run right into my first tar pit... welp.

It's a small thing, but I really like how they took away the "I'm over here" screeches of leeches. Makes you pay more attention when traveling through the swamps.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had a first person mod and really enjoyed using it specifically inside of buildings, entirely changes how they seem. In particular, cramped buildings get cozy and larger buildings get grand. It's just a simple mouse scroll so it won't impact your actual gameplay outside.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Does anyone know if the poison effect from blobs etc. in the swamp has been toned down? I distinctly remember that killing me many times, and I felt poison resist was a must. So last couple days I took a few poison sprays in the face without resistance, and it didn't do much of anything at all. I'm not even using the potions any more.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

Does anyone know if the poison effect from blobs etc. in the swamp has been toned down? I distinctly remember that killing me many times, and I felt poison resist was a must. So last couple days I took a few poison sprays in the face without resistance, and it didn't do much of anything at all. I'm not even using the potions any more.

Poison damage is now reduced by armor. Previously it was only reduced by the resist potion.

Poison damage was slightly increased for all enemies to compensate, but with good armor + resist potion you'll still only take like 1hp of damage every 5-10 seconds.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I must be a special case or something but me and my group played through the existing content and now I've continued to dabble a bit in my own world, and none of us felt the need to use any mods.

I do know that one thing we wished was there was that you could share explored map with friends, and now there is the cartography table for that for our next run through (not enough content yet to warrant a re-start with multiple people).

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Re: qol mods, Valheim Plus does most of the things discussed over the last page or so, and each change it makes is individually configurable. You can increase explore radius, turn off dense fog, craft from chests (with an option to disable the cooking racks for this), and share map progress on a server, for example. It can also tweak stamina, xp and death penalties, gathering rates, prevent planting without room, tweak the camera zoom and fov or even go first person, make fires permanent, automate furnaces and kilns, and it has a great building and editing mode.

Eta - you can turn sections on and off as you like and it also has food tweaks and inventory expansion options. I honestly love it, and we started with relatively few tweaks and added more as we played. We're currently using advanced building and editing mode, increased explore distance and camera zoom, we auto equip the best shield on 1h wep equip, re-equip after swimming, have given wood chests one more row, and increased pickup range to 3m so we don't have to jump for our beehives. We're not doing any of the chest automation, but will probably do that soon - we're maybe three sessions from yagluth now, and we plan to turn on more time savey stuff after that.

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Otacon posted:

Poison damage is now reduced by armor. Previously it was only reduced by the resist potion.

Poison damage was slightly increased for all enemies to compensate, but with good armor + resist potion you'll still only take like 1hp of damage every 5-10 seconds.

That's cool, I didn't see any of that in the patch notes. There are other things that seem like maybe they feel different, but I don't know how much of that is my imagination. Like the wall torches seem to last longer between refills. I'd love to see a complete list.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

That's cool, I didn't see any of that in the patch notes. There are other things that seem like maybe they feel different, but I don't know how much of that is my imagination. Like the wall torches seem to last longer between refills. I'd love to see a complete list.

Here's the best I was able to find - completely undocumented of course, as well things shouldn't be!

https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/pq13bv/list_of_undocumented_changes/

Otacon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 29, 2021

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Athaboros posted:

Okay, I'll bite: what's everyone's favorite mod list for a tedium-free Valheim experience?

I only play with mods for things which irk me and have 4 that I like:

1) Mass Farming (lets you place 25 plants at a time if you have enough stamina) https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/527
2) Quick Stack (press ~ to stack everything from your inventory into appropriate nearby chests) https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/29
3) AnyPortal (can warp to any portal from any other portal) https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/170
4) 3xBronze (recipe yield for making bronze is tripled). https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/94 (says it's broken but it still works me :shrug:)

Mass Farming and Quick Stack are the two best - they remove so much boring busywork. AnyPortal eliminates the need for a huge portal room at base, and 3xBronze cuts the tedium of mining copper without hurting balance too bad. Altogether these four mods cut most of the tedium out of the game for me (i.e. placing plants, inventory management, grinding Surtling cores, and mining copper specifically).

Craft from nearby chests is probably good too but I haven't used it.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Awesome - thanks!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I don't have a server, but I do have some friends who hop onto my game from time to time. Do I need to uninstall mods before we can play? I just have some QoL mods.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't have a server, but I do have some friends who hop onto my game from time to time. Do I need to uninstall mods before we can play? I just have some QoL mods.

Probably not - most mods are client based so you won't need to uninstall them.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Most mods do not cause compatibility issues for hop in hop out multi-player but it is safest to backup your save anyway. Inventory mods are the most likely to cause issues ime, with lost items not being uncommon, but since console spawning is so easy I have never sweated it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
It's been a while since I've played and I can't remember the exact name of it, but a mod I really liked was the one that let you deconstruct any item at its crafting station into its crafting components. That, and the one-click repair everything one.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

2) Autostack (press ~ to stack everything from your inventory into appropriate nearby chests)

Do you have a link for this? I searched on Nexus and all it came up with is something called AutoStackFix whose description don't match what you say it does.

drewhead fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 29, 2021

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I haven't played in a while, since before the update, but booted it up today to check it still works and take some screenshots.

This is Central, a building where the top floor has portals linking all our stuff together, and the second floor is all chests - basically general storage. It's located next to the starting altar thing and has a little moat.

The main house nowadays is the castle, still in progress - hopefully a dock and some farms out back eventually.

Inside, from the attic looking down at the kitchen area, front courtyard, and out front. A few other screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/CQPfA8Q

I can definitely see adding some QOL mods eventually but 150 hours in I'm still pretty ok with the vanilla experience.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

drewhead posted:

Do you have a link for this? I searched on Nexus and all it came up with is something called AutoStackFix whose description don't match what you say it does.

Ah, it's called Quick Stack, my bad: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/29

:)

e: updated my other post with links

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Wiped on Moder thanks to a Golem, then died making the corpse run and lost my back up gear because I didn't realize bosses don't despawn. Portal got destroyed in the process.

This game is brutal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Oh, I'm not really ready for the swamps yet, but I'll just quickly jump onto that tiny little swampy islet while sailing past it and cheekily grab some ancient bark, it'll be fine."

It was not fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah leeches of all things loving wrecked me when I tried that in my new game. I had just remembered how to deal with them before a two star one swam up and one-hit me :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Leeches are a good example of my frustration with not being able to properly aim melee attacks. Spears and pole arms should be able to poke them easily but they don't.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Is that something the devs have spoken about? The spear is my favorite weapon if the ground is roughly flat, and otherwise my very least favorite. I'm having somewhat similar experience with the new knives, to be honest. Being able to aim up or down would be huge.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The weapons having a non-existent vertical arc has gotten me killed so many times in the mountains. If a wolf is slightly below you hitting them is near impossible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Leeches are a good example of my frustration with not being able to properly aim melee attacks. Spears and pole arms should be able to poke them easily but they don't.

Yeah I was running with an atgeir, was kindof hopeful that I could just use that to spear them from land but nooope. Was going to try the spear but I guess that's not worth it either.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how's the game nowadays? I havent played in like poo poo since march

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

verbal enema posted:

how's the game nowadays? I havent played in like poo poo since march

Basically the same.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Floppychop posted:

The weapons having a non-existent vertical arc has gotten me killed so many times in the mountains. If a wolf is slightly below you hitting them is near impossible.

Dead vikingslumberjacks are the opposite of Jedi, having the high ground = instant defeat for them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dead vikingslumberjacks are the opposite of Jedi, having the high ground = instant defeat for them.

Well yeah that’s why they typically try to leave Scandinavia before getting in any fights

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Just throw your spear at leeches from the shore. It's super effective

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
And remember that in the swamps, the hoe is your best friend.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Reconstruction of a cult building at Ørsta in Norway. Stolen from the university of Bergen.

And here's the top of a cultic penis statue, which I think the devs should prioritize adding to Valheim.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Getting my body back from the Moder fight has turned into an epic two day adventure. I finally managed to get my items back, but there are three more bodies of my friends scattered throughout the mountain.

The fight wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the Golems and wolf packs that attack you from behind.

In all fairness, I could just turn on invincibility and cheese it, but I refuse on principle.

Edit: Just recovered another friend's body and found out he had level 1 wolf armor and a huntsman bow.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 1, 2021

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Gave Yagluth a shot with three friends last night. God drat that dude does not gently caress around. Even with everyone whacking it with blackmetal weapons we were not even outpacing its health regen. Do you basically just need max level weapons to have a shot. Or would it be more worthwhile to switch to silver.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Eschatos posted:

Gave Yagluth a shot with three friends last night. God drat that dude does not gently caress around. Even with everyone whacking it with blackmetal weapons we were not even outpacing its health regen. Do you basically just need max level weapons to have a shot. Or would it be more worthwhile to switch to silver.

Like Bonemass he’s super weak to frost and spirit damage so bring some Frostners and/or frost arrows and you should have no problem

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My group just sworded him down, I don't remember it being a big deal at all. But maybe he got buffed in the patch?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

My group just sworded him down, I don't remember it being a big deal at all. But maybe he got buffed in the patch?

I think all bosses got increased health regen in the patch to try and minimize kiting/cheesing.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Lox breed now! On top of being rideable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lozareth posted:

Lox breed now! On top of being rideable.

Someone please screenshot a baby lox and post it here