Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If the success of the Quest 2 means bigger, more complex games then it's going to become an issue going forward if people aren't willing or able to upgrade. Those 256GB owners may get the last laugh after all; at that size, even 128GB could become annoyingly limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If the success of the Quest 2 means bigger, more complex games then it's going to become an issue going forward if people aren't willing or able to upgrade. Those 256GB owners may get the last laugh after all; at that size, even 128GB could become annoyingly limited.

There's no inherent reason why these games need to take up so much space, they just do because hard drives are getting bigger and it's cheaper for the devs to not worry about it. I think if this wasn't a port then they probably would have made a little bit of effort to not have the size be absolutely hosed

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They should split the game in two or three downloads, imo. Single player / multiplayer / 360º videos.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
New Walkabout Mini Golf course just dropped. It's lovely and chill. There are windmills. And baaing sheep. And the wind deflects your ball on some holes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Sweet Surrender (fps roguelite) and Neverboard (social board games thingie) are out in Oculus store. The last one give one free game and other three are to be paid.

Unplugged track list is out:

Larcenauts has a new map and new hero.

Blaston has a free weekend on Steam, and a new update with new weapon and new mode.

Walkabout minigolf new map is out, and something I didn't notice from the trailer, there are wind mechanics.

Surv1v3 is added to Viveport Infinity.

Not a bad day for VR.

Did larcenous ever become any good? The canned reloading animations and stuff really turned me off initially

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did larcenous ever become any good? The canned reloading animations and stuff really turned me off initially

Major abilities/upgrades/etc and stuff are still gated from RNG loot boxes.

Its a poo poo show.

They are also giving out max level slates to people who "win" social media comps. So things that take 100s + of hours to grind out and "maybe" get from RNG or whatever, naw, maxed ones for nothing.

I'm not even sure what they are doing with the game at this point. None of it makes sense.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The new Walkabout Mini Golf course is fantastic, they really stepped up their game. The level of detail is much higher than earlier courses and the wind effects are lovely (and are worked into the gameplay!).

e: was beaten to the punch by the resident ox ps. space giraffe vr pls

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 1, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I was just lying in bed trying to fall asleep when my Oculus headset began loudly beeping. I went into the other room and put it on but it was still beeping. It was plugged in but the only way to get it to stop was by turning off the headset fully.

It is plugged in any time that it is not in use. Also, I could have sworn that it was staying on after I got home because I kept thinking I could see the light through the lenses from far away. However, when I picked it up to look, the system kicks on anyways.

Any idea on what would cause the beeping or what can be done to keep it from happening.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zuck demands that you to feed him more data.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is it me or does the Oculus site/app is incredibly lovely? I cannot find for the life of me the daily deal they have. I only found it here, on third third party web
https://vrdb.app/quest/deals/deals_eu.html

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The store is designed by assholes, sorting options are limited and it pushes free downloads to the end of lists and the lists take forever to navigate. It feels entirely constructed to be this way, like sticking milk at the back of a supermarket. Awful.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Don't know if it's still this way,, but on the web store more than once I remember thinking "how in the hell do I see my wishlist?"

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

If you have Amazon Prime Star Wars: Squadrons is free via Games with Prime on Twitch for October. It is the Origin version and looking into it I believe it supports VR when launched through SteamVR but I am also seeing some older threads of there maybe being some performance issues when running it this way, specifically if you are using an Oculus headset. Anyone with a Quest 2 have experience running and playing the Origin version of Squadrons and run into any issues?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Protip posted:

If you have Amazon Prime Star Wars: Squadrons is free via Games with Prime on Twitch for October. It is the Origin version and looking into it I believe it supports VR when launched through SteamVR but I am also seeing some older threads of there maybe being some performance issues when running it this way, specifically if you are using an Oculus headset. Anyone with a Quest 2 have experience running and playing the Origin version of Squadrons and run into any issues?

The VR issues were fixed about a month after launch. It was most noticeable on sets with higher refresh rates because animations wouldn't update faster than 60 FPS. To compound the issue, ASW would sometimes kick in on top of that so if you were using a Rift S, for example, it would only run at 40 FPS at times. As of last November, it runs great and is still one of my favorite VR experiences. It probably looks even better on a Quest 2, provided you have the hardware to support the higher resolutions at higher frame rates.

Crank up rendering resolution if you can and then change the sharpening level to combat TAA blur, then hop inside and get to blastin.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 1, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Protip posted:

Thanks for this!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I already have squadrons on origin, so anyone who doesn't have amazon prime and wants a free copy of squadrons PM me. First one gets my code.

edit: I forgot not everyone has PMs.

whoever gets it first gets it. it's an origin code.

BD5M-4X24-KWWY-NSTW-688Y

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 1, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A few demos of VR games in the Steam fest thingie:

Alien Dawn
Bakemono
Crypt of the Gods
Deadbait
Fractured Atmosphere
Fruit Ninja 2
HOPE VR: Emotional Intelligence Assistant
Incarna R.A.I.D.
Neo Art Space
Outlier
Pipeline VR
Puppet Play
Puzzle Caffe VR
Reality End
Skiing VR
Slappy Board Demo
The Break-in
Time Patrol
VR Giants Demo

And drat, the new golf course of WAMG is pretty. Forget about golf, I think it's one of the prettiest places I've seen in VR. And it plays excellently too, you can notice the team's experience behind it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I also have Squadrons already if someone wants to claim my code.

gonzo

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 1, 2021

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Professor Wayne posted:

I also have Squadrons already if someone wants to claim my code.

BF22-etc
I redeemed this one and am super excited to play it, thank you!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I have to give Carmack a lot of credit, even in the most impossibly stiff corporate environment he's now in, he still managed to push for (and get!) opening up end of life stuff. I really wish more developers had that goal, because there are so many old games lost to time, sitting in IP holes or left to rot, while communities to this day keep releasing mods for ancient ID games and keeping them running on every modern system.

I know its not exactly on topic for VR, but, it just makes me sad when some old game is hard to even get running will never get a remaster, and you're left to just shrug and try your best to emulate things, because no one thought to, it was too much work with dependencies, or a company was to greedy and protective to allow the source to be distributed. I mean, poo poo ID still sells copies of stuff like doom and quake remastered and that code has been open sourced to anyone for over 20 years so its not like opening up your code means you stop being able to ever make money off of it.

Ah well, still, will be neat to see if anything comes of this, and if not, at least its available for the future.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wasn’t the PCVR version not good?

I actually really liked the PCVR version, but it had a really bad launch with a lot of confusing decisions. By the 3rd update basically every quirk and issue had been fixed and the game was in a good state, but unfortunately by then people kind of shrugged it off. Besides lone echo and alyx it was probably the best looking VR game, even though the trailers made it look bad, the environments were great 'in person', and it had some of the best shooting mechanics. The weapons were smooth and satisfying to use and reload/slide a bolt without getting hung up, and satisfying to shoot, plus the nazis reacted to gunshots very well.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

I have to give Carmack a lot of credit, even in the most impossibly stiff corporate environment he's now in, he still managed to push for (and get!) opening up end of life stuff. I really wish more developers had that goal, because there are so many old games lost to time, sitting in IP holes or left to rot, while communities to this day keep releasing mods for ancient ID games and keeping them running on every modern system.

I know its not exactly on topic for VR, but, it just makes me sad when some old game is hard to even get running will never get a remaster, and you're left to just shrug and try your best to emulate things, because no one thought to, it was too much work with dependencies, or a company was to greedy and protective to allow the source to be distributed. I mean, poo poo ID still sells copies of stuff like doom and quake remastered and that code has been open sourced to anyone for over 20 years so its not like opening up your code means you stop being able to ever make money off of it.

Ah well, still, will be neat to see if anything comes of this, and if not, at least its available for the future.

The complexity of games is probably a big contributor to that. It's not even greed so much as there's just a lot more going on with games now than compared to when Doom or Quake dropped. There's so much licensed content in games, from textures to audio to even substantial stuff stuff under the hood - things like Havok, etc. You'd probably need to run basically every last asset and line of code through your legal department to make sure you own the full rights to it and can choose to freely distribute it without violating the terms of some licensing agreement you signed ten years ago or whatever that only permitted That Particular Content to be used in X number of copies of the game or only for a distribution period of Y years, or only in Z specific release of the game, etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ishikabibble posted:

The complexity of games is probably a big contributor to that. It's not even greed so much as there's just a lot more going on with games now than compared to when Doom or Quake dropped. There's so much licensed content in games, from textures to audio to even substantial stuff stuff under the hood - things like Havok, etc. You'd probably need to run basically every last asset and line of code through your legal department to make sure you own the full rights to it and can choose to freely distribute it without violating the terms of some licensing agreement you signed ten years ago or whatever that only permitted That Particular Content to be used in X number of copies of the game or only for a distribution period of Y years, or only in Z specific release of the game, etc.

I can't imagine the headaches music alone creates. Seriously after working with a label for a while its wild the insane # of licenses and types and deals. Its a wild west poo poo show.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ishikabibble posted:

Yeah all the dependencies are really messy now, I'm more lamenting all the old games from back then that could have for preservation. Trying to go back and play the original max payne is a nightmare for instance.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A friend told me about humble bundle, and they have a steam VR bundle that has 7 games for $15. Arizona Sunshine, Until You Fall, Zero Caliber VR, A Fishermans Tale, House Flipper VR, Paper Beast, and Wands. Sounds too good to be true, but I redeemed the codes and got the games.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...umbundle_bundle

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Bloodplay it again posted:

The VR issues were fixed about a month after launch. It was most noticeable on sets with higher refresh rates because animations wouldn't update faster than 60 FPS. To compound the issue, ASW would sometimes kick in on top of that so if you were using a Rift S, for example, it would only run at 40 FPS at times. As of last November, it runs great and is still one of my favorite VR experiences. It probably looks even better on a Quest 2, provided you have the hardware to support the higher resolutions at higher frame rates.

Crank up rendering resolution if you can and then change the sharpening level to combat TAA blur, then hop inside and get to blastin.

Thank you! Looking forward to trying it out. I am running a 3070 so should hopefully be good with the higher resolutions and framerates.

That Humble VR bundle was also too good to pass up. I picked it up the first day it went up as it had a few games I already wanted to try out.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That bundles great, I found about it from this thread. A fisherman's tale was a fun distraction, and having fun with until you fall.

Arizona Sunshine is also good but feels a bit dated

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've got a copy of Squadrons as well, quote me and I'll PM you the code

Taken!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 2, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

explosivo posted:

I've got a copy of Squadrons as well, quote me and I'll PM you the code

gently caress it, why not, I need a new title to jump into if that's okay!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress it, why not, I need a new title to jump into if that's okay!

Sorry not you.

Naw jk i sent it. I have been meaning to check out squadrons again now that I have a PC that can reliably drive it without it looking like muddy poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ChocNitty posted:

Sounds too good to be true, but I redeemed the codes and got the games.

Humble are owned by IGN, so they're a perfectly legit place. They do one of these VR bundles every few months and its usually the same games though.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I've been really enjoying the Humble VR bundle. It's hard to find good deals on VR games. The amazon prime deal is nice, too. You get squadrons and alien: isolation.

I've been tweaking settings in virtual desktop to get a good experience. I ended up leaving "automatically adjust bitrate" on with the pc client, and just maxing out the possible bitrate in the streaming section of the vr client. My computer isn't anything amazing, but I've been able to run everything on high settings without issue. I was using a wifi hotspot through my computer, but I switched to a 5Ghz router that I had laying around. I may try the hotspot again just to see the difference. It does wifi 6, while the router does not. I use the Asyncronous Spacewarp setting, and everything runs smoothly on ultra.

I also grabbed a bobovr m2 head strap, and I'm liking it. I used some zip ties and velcro to attach a 10,000 mAh anker battery to the back. It feels comfortable, and I like not having to even think about battery life. The folding strap makes it much easier to put on or remove the headset while wearing glasses. I'm using an AMVR face cover, and it's very comfy. I find that I'm getting some light bleed, but I think I can fix it. It has some extra pads that I can put on the side to block out light, but I don't like that they exert even more pressure on my glasses. I got the black version, as some people said the orange version was letting in orange light. I'd like to get prescription lenses at some point.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'd like to get prescription lenses at some point.
Me looking at which prescription lens option to get then realising I'd have to buy new lens adaptors for the next VR set is what made me finally get laser surgery. No regrets.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Airlink seems to work better on my parents old, cheap, ISP supplied router, than it does on my new Netgear Nighthawk model. And the headset is further away from the router at my parents.

I'm assuming its because is they're in a secluded area that has no other wifi or bluetooth signals around, and i'm in an apt complex with dozens of signals. I tried changing the channel on my router but it didn't make a difference. The performance is fine, just not as good as at my parents.

I'm wondering if there's another setting or config I can tweak to improve it.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Metos posted:

Me looking at which prescription lens option to get then realising I'd have to buy new lens adaptors for the next VR set is what made me finally get laser surgery. No regrets.

That sounds even better. I finally tried the quest 2 outside. I waited until dark, and just used what lighting I could. Tea for God is a lot of fun with more space.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

September data

Total VR headsets start increasing again, after two bad months. Winners are Quest 2 and Index (I read Index started selling in Australia now), losers are Rift S and Quest 1.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Metos posted:

I had a similiar idea some time ago, wanted to pull the trigger on eye surgery. But then I found out that there's only so much it can do, and my prescription is too strong. I'd still need glasses, even after the procedure. Oh well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

September data

Total VR headsets start increasing again, after two bad months. Winners are Quest 2 and Index (I read Index started selling in Australia now), losers are Rift S and Quest 1.

EB Games started selling Index hardware in September, so that scans.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

SCheeseman posted:

The new Walkabout Mini Golf course is fantastic, they really stepped up their game. The level of detail is much higher than earlier courses and the wind effects are lovely (and are worked into the gameplay!).

e: was beaten to the punch by the resident ox ps. space giraffe vr pls

one of my current projects is the VLM-4 VR lightsynth (backburnered for now as I am doing a bit of paid work) which I intend to use as the basis for Space Giraffe 2.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

gently caress me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ChocNitty posted:

Airlink seems to work better on my parents old, cheap, ISP supplied router, than it does on my new Netgear Nighthawk model. And the headset is further away from the router at my parents.

I'm assuming its because is they're in a secluded area that has no other wifi or bluetooth signals around, and i'm in an apt complex with dozens of signals. I tried changing the channel on my router but it didn't make a difference. The performance is fine, just not as good as at my parents.

I'm wondering if there's another setting or config I can tweak to improve it.

How can you tell 'better performance', are you just talking about latency or something else