Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I have never messed around with mods for this game but I might have to get the one that lets everyone get a religion, because gently caress me is it frustrating to have to scramble and fight for one of the few chances at a religion.

Have they ever explained why they made that decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Not in so many words, but it's pretty clear they want there to be room to have coreligious cooperation. But if every civ has its own religion and religious conversion is winner take all, there's no room for that because it will always be in your interest to resist other civs' religions with your own.

Of course, Civ IV already had a religion system that allowed for all of that. I do think that Civ V had a lot of great innovations, but winner take all religion was not one of them.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I bought Civ V earlier this week and I really like it but it does show its age here and there. Everyone told me "play vox populi! play vox populi!" and I did. But Vox Populi is a buggy trashfire and I'm kinda disappointed.

Is Civ VI worth it? I could buy the Platinum pack but everyone is always arguing about which Civ is better.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Det_no posted:

I bought Civ V earlier this week and I really like it but it does show its age here and there. Everyone told me "play vox populi! play vox populi!" and I did. But Vox Populi is a buggy trashfire and I'm kinda disappointed.

Is Civ VI worth it? I could buy the Platinum pack but everyone is always arguing about which Civ is better.

It's on sale for like 9 bux on steam so go for it

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

I have never messed around with mods for this game but I might have to get the one that lets everyone get a religion, because gently caress me is it frustrating to have to scramble and fight for one of the few chances at a religion.

Have they ever explained why they made that decision?

You could always make a pool of civs that aren't religious and make half the AIs draw from those.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

Don't start a land war in Asia

Yeah, Russia specifially has the effect of making enemy armies take double damage from blizzards as well. Hard to do that deliberately unless you're in Apocalypse mode with soothsayers manually triggering disasters.

Japan has a similar deal with hurricanes because of ye olde kamikaze saving their butts from a huge Mongolian invasion force.

Tragically there is no civ immune to volcanic explosions. If there were one, however, I'd want it to be, like, Hawaii or something.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
I haven't played Civ VI in years, but now the Anthology and Platinum Editions are on sale, which should I get? What I can tell, Anthology has 6 civs, 2 leaders, and something called New Frontier Pass over the Platinum edition for double the price (15->30).

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If a Roman City gets destroyed in a volcano they get a tourism boost after discovering archaeology

*Should

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Sayara posted:

I haven't played Civ VI in years, but now the Anthology and Platinum Editions are on sale, which should I get? What I can tell, Anthology has 6 civs, 2 leaders, and something called New Frontier Pass over the Platinum edition for double the price (15->30).
Platinum edition is essentially the base game plus the two major expansions. The New Frontier pass added all the crazy game modes you may see us talking about in the thread, plus a few new civs.

The game up to Gathering Storm (so platinum edition) is very fun. But the NFP adds quite a bit of replayability with mixing and matching various game modes - I rarely play without Secret Societies on these days. So if you think you'll likely play for a bit then stop, Plat is fine. If you want a strategy game that goes for quite a while then $30 is a great price.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

Platinum edition is essentially the base game plus the two major expansions. The New Frontier pass added all the crazy game modes you may see us talking about in the thread, plus a few new civs.

The game up to Gathering Storm (so platinum edition) is very fun. But the NFP adds quite a bit of replayability with mixing and matching various game modes - I rarely play without Secret Societies on these days. So if you think you'll likely play for a bit then stop, Plat is fine. If you want a strategy game that goes for quite a while then $30 is a great price.

Cheers, went with Anthology. As I played V for close to 1000 hours, I'll most likely get my moneys worth with this as well.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
I’m giving the deity thing a go again on the ps4. Playing as England and picked a fight with Tomyris. I bled their military but am having trouble dealing with horsemen without iron. Last time I saved, I was getting a builder out on my 2nd city so I could get a pasture up and my own horsemen going. Need to know how I’m gonna blitz these cities after I bleed the rest of the AI’s military with my archers. It’s been brutal but I have enough archers and production capacity to stay in the fight.

I’m currently worried about: how many battering rams I need, catapults too, and catching up in science. How many cities do I need to have? I’ll probably conquer them before the enemy has too high a science lead on me. Finally, what should I do from here on out to win this conquest victory?

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

So the OP says that playing vs AI in VI is bad, is that still true? I am nowhere near ready for multiplayer in this game

Also why can't my siege weapons (battering rams, I think?) attack enemy cities?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Battering rams and siege towers are part of a new unit class - support units. They attach to a combat unit and confer bonuses but they can't fight themselves. Attach your battering ram to a melee unit and the melee unit gets a bonus attacking city walls.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

OP says this game is buggy, is that just single player or are there issues in multiplayer?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

a pale ghost posted:

So the OP says that playing vs AI in VI is bad, is that still true? I am nowhere near ready for multiplayer in this game

Also why can't my siege weapons (battering rams, I think?) attack enemy cities?

Civ 5 was kinda the peak of a certain style of civ. Civ 6 is quite different and I really like how it significantly boosts different city placements and faith is important, but there are issues.

The game is no longer buggy in general, the AI is poor at district placements but is far better than most games - just a step back from 5.

Single player is really pretty great.

- oh, the graphics in Civ 6 are... a choice as well. I'm part of the Civ 5 still looks better camp.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

a pale ghost posted:

OP says this game is buggy, is that just single player or are there issues in multiplayer?

Unless your friends also have a problem in their decision trees where they will send a force to attack a city and then get confused when it turns out it has walls, then multi will be more challenging and entertaining on average than single

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

- oh, the graphics in Civ 6 are... a choice as well. I'm part of the Civ 5 still looks better camp.

It's mostly the terrain that bugs me, but there's a mod for that which has it in Civ V style and works wonders.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

How long do multiplayer games against strangers last? I don't have any friends to play with

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're still learning the game, try playing on a lower difficulty level as Rome with the Secret Societies game mode, and join the Voidsingers society as soon as you can. Every Roman town starts with a Monument, which turn into Old God Obelisks (+4 fatih, +1 culture, 2 if city loyalty is maxed) if you're with Voidsingers. If you devote all your resources to expanding your empire this will give you a significant lead on culture and faith that will just keep snowballing to ridiculous amounts as your develop your cities.

For research, Beeline Iron Working, then Engineering. Once Iron Working is done, start cranking out Legions. if you get them within the first few eras you can pretty much just roll over any other civ with like a half dozen of them and a great general. From there you can keep going for a domination win, or stop at knocking out a few civs to give you enough room to build. With Engineering, you can build a Bath, which replaces aqueducts and gives the city housing and amenities, both of which newer players struggle with sometimes. By this point you're set up for a really easy culture or religion win, though domination and science are both easily attainable as well. You'll have a lot of breathing room to kind of feel out a lot of the more in-depth mechanics, like district planning to maximize adjacency bonuses, learning which wonders are flat out busted and which ones are just kind of meh, and how to utilize city states effectively.

Personally I thoroughly enjoy the game on single player even if the AI makes some.. questionable moves sometimes:
An allied friend reports that Persia is seeking a domination victory.

Sure, buddy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbf giving fake info to your allies to encourage them to fight your battles is still done to this day

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

What's the difference between a mine and a quarry?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

As nouns the difference between mine and quarry is that mine is an excavation from which ore or solid minerals are taken, especially one consisting of underground tunnels while quarry is a site for mining stone, limestone or slate or quarry can be an animal which is hunted, notably mammal or bird or quarry can be a diamond-shaped tile or pane, notably of glass or stone.
As verbs the difference between mine and quarry is that mine is (ambitransitive) to remove (ore) from the ground while quarry is to obtain (mine) stone by extraction from a quarry or quarry can be to secure prey; to prey, as a vulture or harpy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Quarry is built on stone or marble, mine on hills and multiple strategy resources

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Both very helpful answers, thank you

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

a pale ghost posted:

How long do multiplayer games against strangers last? I don't have any friends to play with

I did a goon multiplayer game some years ago (late '16/early '17, I think?) with Roland Jones and...Byzantine, I think? And some other posters who's SA names I don't remember.

I want to say the game took about 9 months, with us more-or-less getting a round in each day. Things sometimes rolled over into the next day because two of the goons were Euros.

That might seem like a long time, but it was really, really fun and I recommend trying it. I started another one with the same players but Roland Jones loving destroyed me by the classical era, and welp. After that I changed my job to something that didn't allow me to take my turn whenever or obsess over planning my micromanaging turn for hours.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

TipTow posted:

I did a goon multiplayer game some years ago (late '16/early '17, I think?) with Roland Jones and...Byzantine, I think? And some other posters who's SA names I don't remember.

I want to say the game took about 9 months, with us more-or-less getting a round in each day. Things sometimes rolled over into the next day because two of the goons were Euros.

That might seem like a long time, but it was really, really fun and I recommend trying it. I started another one with the same players but Roland Jones loving destroyed me by the classical era, and welp. After that I changed my job to something that didn't allow me to take my turn whenever or obsess over planning my micromanaging turn for hours.

That sounds super fun actually

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

a pale ghost posted:

It was! The winner of the first game won via culture--I and a few others tried to conquer them in the industrial/modern era when we realized what was happening, but we had started too late. I had taken Kandy from said winner earlier, like late classic-early medieval knowing where that could go. The eventual World War for the Win was some real Great War poo poo, with machine guns, artillery, and tank armies just loving duking it out right on the doorstep of winner's capital. I was still kinda noobish and so hadn't built any balloons to get extra range and strength on the artillery, which might have been the difference maker (winner graciously pointed that out after the win, ha).

Doing "diplomacy" via Steam messages was cool, I was a dweeb and did some roleplaying with it and the other players obliged me.

We even had two scenarios where a player (one of them me) had to take a week+ long break due to poo poo, and both times everyone just picked right back up, no biggie. Dunno how that would fly with pubbies, but goons are usually decent people.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

John F Bennett posted:

As nouns the difference between mine and quarry is that mine is an excavation from which ore or solid minerals are taken, especially one consisting of underground tunnels while quarry is a site for mining stone, limestone or slate or quarry can be an animal which is hunted, notably mammal or bird or quarry can be a diamond-shaped tile or pane, notably of glass or stone.
As verbs the difference between mine and quarry is that mine is (ambitransitive) to remove (ore) from the ground while quarry is to obtain (mine) stone by extraction from a quarry or quarry can be to secure prey; to prey, as a vulture or harpy.
You missed the most important part, that as a pronoun mine is my; belonging to me; that which belongs to me!

----

The terms are synonymous, with quarries being open mines. So I guess a subcategory then? Words and their different roots, man. So yea Civ sticking with 2 different techs for the same thing has caught more than a few players, I know I've tried several times to mine a resource that needs quarrying, not mining. Somehow.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

a pale ghost posted:

If you want to try hotseat then you go to https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/.

It's a tool for setting up and managing hot seat games without using the in built and very buggy in game PBC.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYTtl8LC_vg

a) Thirty years of Civ, huh? I wonder what Firaxis has up their sleeves for this anniversary. Any guesses?

b) I remember buying and playing the first Civ, so many years ago. :smug: I am so old. :qq:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

a pale ghost posted:

So the OP says that playing vs AI in VI is bad, is that still true?

BeAuMaN posted:

I recall someone posted this about the change in the AI to Science Focus which is probably related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/oe4yqg/3_lines_of_code_in_april_patch_that_shot_the_ai/

Might want to do the above is you want the AI to play reasonably.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tarquinn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYTtl8LC_vg
a) Thirty years of Civ, huh? I wonder what Firaxis has up their sleeves for this anniversary. Any guesses?

Nothing. I think this video is it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

the Steam news page posted:

For 30 years you’ve raised cities, built wonders, and rewritten history a million times over. Civilization simply wouldn't be the best strategy series of all time without its players. So over the next few months we’re commemorating three decades of greatness from Civilization players with new challenges, fun surprises and amazing offers.

We want to shine the spotlight on you and the unique way you become truly great in Civilization. Just as much as this is an incredible moment for Civilization, this is really your moment.
(emphasis mine)

They did some savegame-based challenge event recently, didn't they? Maybe things on that level.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

The Human Crouton posted:

Nothing. I think this video is it.

Sid Meier has got those crazy eyes.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Don Pigeon posted:

Sid Meier has got those crazy eyes.
He has the eyes of the AI wanting to send a peaceful entourage and setup an embassy while carefully aligning the other AI against you and planning an invasion on your eastern border.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Those goon PYDT games were some of the best fun I've had with this game. I also tried the mode with some randos but it wasn't the same.

If enough people are interested I'll be up to give it another go.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Holy poo poo jumping to Deity is hard. I mean, of course it's the hardest level, but the increase from Immortal is substantial. I found that going from King to Emperor was a similar leap, probably because those are the tiers where the AI gains one more settler at the start.

I won, but only through diplomacy and because, well, :canada: . I was trying for a cultural win but I have no idea how I'm going to eke out anything other than a cheesy victory at this level.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Albino Squirrel posted:

Holy poo poo jumping to Deity is hard. I mean, of course it's the hardest level, but the increase from Immortal is substantial. I found that going from King to Emperor was a similar leap, probably because those are the tiers where the AI gains one more settler at the start.

I won, but only through diplomacy and because, well, :canada: . I was trying for a cultural win but I have no idea how I'm going to eke out anything other than a cheesy victory at this level.

You're not going to win diety without cheesing something. The game is pretty much an optimization spreadsheet at that point.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

You're Canada just make more national parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ulvino posted:

Those goon PYDT games were some of the best fun I've had with this game. I also tried the mode with some randos but it wasn't the same.

If enough people are interested I'll be up to give it another go.

I'd be down for this.