Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

No no, they're killing chaos! This is what the people want!

I don't want somebody else to kill Chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hwurmp posted:

Pray that you stare not too long at Chaos, lest you become Chaos.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Imposter Factory (or To The Moon 3) just came out, that's a slam purchase for me.

Well I guess I should buy that then.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hwurmp posted:

Look buddy, there is more than enough chaos for everybody to kill. You can't hog it all for yourself.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Not really sure the best place to post this, but forums favorite Ulillillia has a new game coming out (supposably this year!)

quote:

Baricanna started during the wee hours of May 19, 2021. It was born out of an act of desperation. Covid-19 has shut me out of being able to get a job. I've had PM in the works for over a decade. Sealed Gate has been in the works for even longer yet. I know my followers have been wanting to play one of my games for a long time so I decided to go with making something that was small scale and retro style that combined aspects from Zeliard, Sonic, Act Raiser, and Kingdom Hearts. Thus was born my retro-style 2D side scrolling platformer and RPG hybrid. In only 4 months, Baricanna is about 3/4 finished and is my primary project. I've been working 70-100 hours a week on it every week for now over 4 months straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptUVNZ-TNwU

If you haven't followed him in the last few years, he has gone from living with his parents and having endless fears, to going to Hawaii by himself, and then moving to Florida and working at Walmart until covid hit. Because of being out of a job, and no longer able to get unemployment he has started a Patreon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1t_Fl7LSS8

https://www.patreon.com/ulillillia

Would really like to see him succeed and actually get a game out.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Chaos? I barely know 'er!

...wait

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harminoff posted:

Not really sure the best place to post this, but forums favorite Ulillillia has a new game coming out (supposably this year!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptUVNZ-TNwU

If you haven't followed him in the last few years, he has gone from living with his parents and having endless fears, to going to Hawaii by himself, and then moving to Florida and working at Walmart until covid hit. Because of being out of a job, and no longer able to get unemployment he has started a Patreon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1t_Fl7LSS8

https://www.patreon.com/ulillillia

Would really like to see him succeed and actually get a game out.

it's truly heartwarming that he seems to just keep getting more normal and adjusted

he is the anti chris chan

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

If we, the people who would never buy a sports game, still get hilarious gifs out of it, then it was all worth it

correct

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i havent heard anything about ulillillia in years, really glad to see hes doing well

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
probably of interest to at least one of you:

GOG has the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions for $2 and $3 each. insanely good deal if you never have picked them up.

god BG is such a good game!!!!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rguzpNXUCs

Collection of SaGa is coming to Steam October 21st.

drat that opening music is like a nostalgia gut punch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Woodenlung posted:

Industria runs like rear end, and there is too many bugs.... But I am still enjoying it a lot. A whole lot. Also considering it's like a 5 man dev studio, it looks impressive at least. It's very half lifeish

That's good to hear. The demo was so short in terms of the actual action that I couldn't really gauge whether it was going to turn out okay, especially because the action section was just one incline up a street and then some stairs.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Woodenlung posted:

Industria runs like rear end, and there is too many bugs.... But I am still enjoying it a lot. A whole lot. Also considering it's like a 5 man dev studio, it looks impressive at least. It's very half lifeish

The aesthetics of this remind of Atomic Heart, the incredibly good looking Russian(?) System Shock/Bioshock clone that looks less and less likely like something that will ever be released.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blue Fire, which I thought was a good game, a mix of 3D Zelda and 3D Platformer, is one of the Prime Gaming giveaways this month, along with Ghostrunner, Star Wars Squadrons, and, of all things, the Wallace and Gromit Telltale game from years ago??? Which had been delisted for a long time.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The demo of the new Final Fantasy game - Stranger of Paradise - has the best scene of the year. It takes about 2 minutes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SirSamVimes posted:

does anyone know if that new madness combat video game is any good? I'm trying to decide whether ot pick it up or if the high reviews are just from people who liked the flash videos.

Are you talking about Source of Madness? Oh wait no you must be talking about that gun beat em up kinda thing that is apparently based on a comic.

I downloaded it, maybe I'll give it a try tonight.

The 7th Guest posted:

a whole bunch of games added to Gamepass just now and in the last 24 hours:

Scarlet Nexus - Bamco's attempt at an AA cyberpunk ARPG. Yes it is anime.
Unsighted - A top-down action game sitting somewhere inbetween CrossCode and Hyper Light Drifter
Astria Ascending - A Vanillaware-looking sidescrolling JRPG by... the Super Neptunia RPG studio........ RPS was not kind to this game
AI the Somnium Files - Uchikoshi's best VN since 999. NOTE: Protag is very horny.
Mighty Goose - Metal Slug but with a goose
Dandy Ace - As someone put it on discord, "Great Value brand Hades"
Marvel's Avengers - play it for the campaign only

Mighty Goose is fan-loving-tastic, highly recommended. Was really surprised at how little attention it received for how good and polished a game it was. Unsighted is also good, and Scarlet Nexus is tolerable. The rest don't interest me at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

The demo of the new Final Fantasy game - Stranger of Paradise - has the best scene of the year. It takes about 2 minutes.

Am I back in 2005? This is some edgy poo poo.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
holy cow

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/alan-wake-remastered

Alan Wake remastered is a thing apparently and also it is coming out in a few days....

Makes sense I guess. I skipped it back in the day, but have renewed interest post-Control.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, another Steam Next Fest has begun, and since there's been several I'll point out some demos that I believe are new to this edition:

The Good Life - SWERY's new game, which releases in two weeks. I believe this is the first time a demo has been released since the original Kickstarter pitch alpha.

Astral Ascent - Action Roguelite by the Dark Devotion developer

Grapple Dog - Cute platformer with grappling hook and a Nitromey art style

Castle of Shikigami 2 - I guess this is a port of an arcade shmup?? Also available, a demo of Crimson Clover World Explosion

Ultra Age - This demo's been available on console but it's on PC now, basically an indie devil may cry style game with bad voice acting

Dread Delusion - Surreal FPRPG that originated on the original Haunted PS1 Demo Disc, I assume this is a new demo

Aztech: Forgotten Gods - Here's one that's been at an E3!!

Perfect Tides - Highly awaited point n click adventure drama from the creator of Octopus Pie

Pompom - Looks to be a cross between Lemmings and.. Pac-Man 2? A computer-controlled character in a platformer and you are placing objects down or removing obstacles to help them progress. Has an extremely accurate SNES look and sound (to the point that maaaybe they should tweak some of their sprites/tiles a little more to feel a little less like SMW knockoffs).

Transiruby - First seen at the Japanese Indie Game Live event during E3, here's one of several Metroidvanias in the event. Has a cute look, and for some reason the steam page has a stream of a vtuber playing it??

Fallen Aces - First person retro puncher/shooter published by, you guessed it, New Blood. This was erroneously claimed to demo during the Realms Beyond event, but now the demo is out for real.

Rise of the Third Power - A JRPG from the developer of Ara Fell, " loosely based on the political climate of Europe in the late 1930's." I have a feeling this is a minefield that the developer is just jogging through blissfully, but we'll see where it goes.

Transmute - Another Metroidvania, this one leaning heavily on the Metroid side.

Forgive Me Father - Mentioned this retro shooter previously but now there's a demo for it!

There's obviously many more than this and I'm just going off my biases so make sure to check out the landing page and browse through.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 1, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Anno posted:

This seems aggressive, but hopefully it means the next MonHun is day/date on PC. How things have changed in the last 10 years.

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/stat...s1_c10&ref_url=

Invisible sub

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Artelier posted:

Appreciate all the music game recommendations! Wishlisting them now (and maybe purchasing after werk)

I think I'm on default settings but I'll have a look, thanks!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058830/Spin_Rhythm_XD/ has a neat take on controls. Would of made for a good arcade cabinet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sweet. more games on PC is good. it's the most open console so the more people move towards it the better it is I think

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Blattdorf posted:

Oh, a Yakuza game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, another Steam Next Fest has begun, and since there's been several I'll point out some demos that I believe are new to this edition:

The Good Life - SWERY's new game, which releases in two weeks. I believe this is the first time a demo has been released since the original Kickstarter pitch alpha.

Astral Ascent - Action Roguelite by the Dark Devotion developer

Grapple Dog - Cute platformer with grappling hook and a Nitromey art style

Castle of Shikigami 2 - I guess this is a port of an arcade shmup?? Also available, a demo of Crimson Clover World Explosion

Ultra Age - This demo's been available on console but it's on PC now, basically an indie devil may cry style game with bad voice acting

Dread Delusion - Surreal FPRPG that originated on the original Haunted PS1 Demo Disc, I assume this is a new demo

Aztech: Forgotten Gods - Here's one that's been at an E3!!

Perfect Tides - Highly awaited point n click adventure drama from the creator of Octopus Pie

Pompom - Looks to be a cross between Lemmings and.. Pac-Man 2? A computer-controlled character in a platformer and you are placing objects down or removing obstacles to help them progress. Has an extremely accurate SNES look and sound (to the point that maaaybe they should tweak some of their sprites/tiles a little more to feel a little less like SMW knockoffs).

Transiruby - First seen at the Japanese Indie Game Live event during E3, here's one of several Metroidvanias in the event. Has a cute look, and for some reason the steam page has a stream of a vtuber playing it??

Fallen Aces - First person retro puncher/shooter published by, you guessed it, New Blood. This was erroneously claimed to demo during the Realms Beyond event, but now the demo is out for real.

Rise of the Third Power - A JRPG from the developer of Ara Fell, " loosely based on the political climate of Europe in the late 1930's." I have a feeling this is a minefield that the developer is just jogging through blissfully, but we'll see where it goes.

Transmute - Another Metroidvania, this one leaning heavily on the Metroid side.

Forgive Me Father - Mentioned this retro shooter previously but now there's a demo for it!

There's obviously many more than this and I'm just going off my biases so make sure to check out the landing page and browse through.

I really liked the last big demo festival, some neat stuff to try out.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Blattdorf posted:

i see Irony finally made it to Japan

edit: to be clear, that scene is amazing in ways that i can't quite believe

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Transmute looks like it could be my jam but drat it looks like such a shameless Metroid clone. Which of course is not inherently bad.

Gotta try the demo but I hope they add their own flair to the genre as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll also do more posts about new demos to the festival if I have time, I might do it tonight. The demo list is massive this time around compared to the previous edition. That's just what I've sampled from the first few pages.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Croccers posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058830/Spin_Rhythm_XD/ has a neat take on controls. Would of made for a good arcade cabinet.

I actually bought a little used mini DJ controller to use with it and it's pretty dope

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

Why, what happened in the late '30s?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
if we're talking about Steam Next Fest demos, I highly recommend Lil Gator Game, which dares to answer the question "what if A Short Hike were about a child pretending to be Link in BotW?" some others that seemed promising are Aspire: Ina's Tale (pretty 2D story-driven puzzle-platformer) and Completely Stretchy and Uncomfortably Sticky (surreal first-person grappling hook platformer with cel-shaded visuals).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

if we're talking about Steam Next Fest demos, I highly recommend Lil Gator Game, which dares to answer the question "what if A Short Hike were about a child pretending to be Link in BotW?" some others that seemed promising are Aspire: Ina's Tale (pretty 2D story-driven puzzle-platformer) and Completely Stretchy and Uncomfortably Sticky (surreal first-person grappling hook platformer with cel-shaded visuals).
Oh cool, didn't know Lil Gator had a demo already. Aspire's indeed pretty, like a lineless and angular version of Gris' environments.

Here's a very Sega Genesis-y action game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1300100/Spectacular_Sparky/

(note: published by shitheads Nicalis)

And a narrative ARPG brawler called Young Souls: https://store.steampowered.com/app/985900/Young_Souls/

gently caress it here's a few more because I reached the bottom of the front page of the demo fest:

Bat Boy: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1709350/Bat_Boy/ - Shovel Knight style game from the developer of Actraiser spiritual-successor Smelter

Victory Heat Rally: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1594060/Victory_Heat_Rally/ - Yes, give me all the 90s arcade racers

The Case of the Golden Idol: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677770/The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol/ - Kind of gives me vibes of the French computer scene of the late 80s/early 90s, but with Obra Dinn-y gameplay??

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 1, 2021

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Been playing King's Bounty 2 lately. I've been enjoying it but it's getting pretty mixed reviews so YMMV.

It's janky as gently caress though, for instance the horses in the game are always level with flat ground. So whenever they meet a slope they do this!

And if you turn em around.

V silly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

Am I back in 2005? This is some edgy poo poo.

my dude seriously just wants to kill chaos, and when somebody tries to explain that chaos is just a conceptual bogeyman he calls it bullshit, whips out his phone, plays dumb edgy music and walks away

this continues for his whole walk until he's outside the castle and his party silently follows

tell me that isn't the funniest poo poo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

my dude seriously just wants to kill chaos, and when somebody tries to explain that chaos is just a conceptual bogeyman he calls it bullshit, whips out his phone, plays dumb edgy music and walks away

this continues for his whole walk until he's outside the castle and his party silently follows

I assumed someone was calling him (that’s his ring tone) and he left them on hold for like at least 10 minutes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't watched the clip because i am afraid it might damage my brain but just from the description i'm getting crazy DmC vibes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

Victory Heat Rally: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1594060/Victory_Heat_Rally/ - Yes, give me all the 90s arcade racers

Oh my god I love that squished little pixel car so much. sign me the gently caress up

lmao

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

that poo poo is the best thing I've seen this year.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kibayasu posted:

I assumed someone was calling him (that’s his ring tone) and he left them on hold for like at least 10 minutes.

no he pushed a button on his phone and opened his music app, look at the screen again

here's a better video that starts exactly at "bullshit"

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Just gonna note for anybody who might care about this: Monster Hunter Rise is definitely a super good and flashy Monster Hunter game, a lot of fun to play, but it also involves a mandatory tower defense minigame. It's probably a pretty good minigame if you like that sort of gameplay, but tower defense has never been my thing and I did not enjoy playing those parts. I wish I'd known about it going in, which is why I'm posting now.

If you just wanna do the plot and see all the basic monsters, you only have to do the tower defense stuff... two or three times? Maybe four? However, if you want to unlock all the hidden monsters, the tower defense game is heavily weighted to provide you the large amount of exp you need. You'll either have to grind forever or merely grind a lot of tower defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

The 7th Guest posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677770/The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol/ - Kind of gives me vibes of the French computer scene of the late 80s/early 90s, but with Obra Dinn-y gameplay??

This is actually by two friends of mine and I've been involved with polishing up the text and playtesting. Obra Dinn is one of their touchstones, but they are trying to take it into slightly different direction. It's kinda artsy and ironic at the same time. I think demo's definitely worth your time if that sounds interesting to you.

Also another friend of mine has been working on a dream RPG of his for a long time, and it has a demo out as well. It's essentially a Fallout 2 kind of game with some Eastern European weirdness added to the mix.