Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Rivian is an upscale lifestyle truck. It’s going to appeal to people who buy Range Rovers and have expensive outdoor lifestyle hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have just found out that the Ford Explorer is offered as a PHEV in Europe. WTF, why do we not get this thing?

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2020/05/14/electrified-efficiency--7-seat-luxury-and-off-road-capability--f.html

In the US the consumer models are only offered with the 2.3L or 3.0L Ecoboost motors, and the Police Interceptor has a boring hybrid model with a small electric motor paired with the Duratec 33, but apparently Europe gets a full PHEV with the 3.0 Ecoboost andenough motor/battery for 25 miles of EV-only range and over 450 HP plus over 600 delicious torques.

The Explorer's platform-mate the Lincoln Aviator has a version of the same drivetrain with the gas engine in ST trim for 500 combined horsepower so it's not a certification thing either, this drivetrain is sold in the US right now, they just won't give it to us dressed as a Ford.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Probably for similar reason Ford in theory produces the Escape PHEV in the US but doesn't actually want to build any nor did the Maverick launch with PHEV. They may be hedging their vehicle tax credit quota for the Mach-E and Lightning.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Europe has more stringent requirements for fleet efficiency and harsher penalties so it makes sense that companies that sell a large number of cars in Europe prioritize sending their most efficient models there if they are either limited on production or the margins on those vehicles are worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They probably sell single digits of Explorers here by the looks of it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It always bugged me that the Toyota CHR was a hybrid from the get-go in Europe/UK and there was never a whiff of it in NA. Would a hybrid Chur really be a sales flop, even in Canada? I would probably already have one.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

darnon posted:

Probably for similar reason Ford in theory produces the Escape PHEV in the US but doesn't actually want to build any nor did the Maverick launch with PHEV. They may be hedging their vehicle tax credit quota for the Mach-E and Lightning.

This is odd to me because I definitely would want to at least try an Escape PHEV (I can't find any) but I'm not cross shopping it with a mustang or lightning, I'm cross shopping it with like a RAV4 Prime or a ID4 or Model Y.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
The Maverick 2.0T versions are getting priority production too, people who ordered the hybrid version are getting crazy mad because 2.0T orders made in September are going into production while July hybrid orders aren't even being scheduled.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kunabomber posted:

The Maverick 2.0T versions are getting priority production too, people who ordered the hybrid version are getting crazy mad because 2.0T orders made in September are going into production while July hybrid orders aren't even being scheduled.

I love my FiST but Ford is such a poo poo company

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ok Comboomer posted:

with dealer markup?

Apple CarPlay isn’t the premium feature it used to be. If my Ford Fiesta were a 2016 or newer it would have it.

Makes me even more surprised Rivian (or any dealer) doesn’t support it.

People don’t like change and they’re used to using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across almost every modern car they’ve driven. I know I am.

Just seems like deciding not to support this is giving a lot of people a reason to not buy your vehicle.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Makes me even more surprised Rivian (or any dealer) doesn’t support it.

People don’t like change and they’re used to using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto across almost every modern car they’ve driven. I know I am.

Just seems like deciding not to support this is giving a lot of people a reason to not buy your vehicle.

I like my Tesla a whole lot but I find it extremely dumb that I still can't get my phone onto that big screen.

E: and an if by magic today my news feed says some developer has kludged a solution together.
https://www.androidcentral.com/you-can-now-use-android-auto-tesla-theres-catch

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 1, 2021

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kunabomber posted:

It's mostly because Ford anticipated a greater take rate on the Ecoboost than the hybrid. There's also some design changes on the Maverick hybrid transmission versus the Escape. On top of that all the supply issues of a semiconductor shortage and the chemicals for spray-in bedliners. I will say Ford's scheduling system is a bit weird with dealer allocation and regional allocation also coming in to mean someone who ordered the exact same build a month later might schedule before you. The EPA is also dragging their feet certifying the mileage for hybrids so even though they were built two weeks ago they can't be sold while customer Ecoboost orders are being delivered in addition to the dealer stock produced Aug 16th to Sept 10th before customer builds started.

It turns out that the Escape PHEV is in fact real, however. Just saw they started hitting dealers and one near me has/is getting one which is making me ponder my own unscheduled Maverick hybrid order I likely won't see before the end of the year at the earliest.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
5 Midwestern governors agree to create a network to charge electric vehicles https://www.npr.org/2021/10/01/1041987104/midwest-electric-vehicles-charging-evs-cars

I can only assume that Indiana joined to somehow sabotage the whole thing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

borkencode posted:

Likely...

Or they'll build a single station in downtown Indy and call it job done.

Edit: And it'll be 50kW.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

stevewm posted:

Likely...

Then they'll sell it to a private company and lease it back for 10x the cost.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

stevewm posted:

Likely...

Could be worse. Encinitas CA has a bank of EvGo fast chargers at city hall, funded by some Federal Grant ... sitting behind a fence because after installing them in 2019 they discovered that SDG&E can't/won't supply the power to them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Toyota Germany still badmouthing EVs in advertisements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5TAKcxrbs
My life is spontaneous and I don't have time for charging stations

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

Toyota Germany still badmouthing EVs in advertisements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr5TAKcxrbs
My life is spontaneous and I don't have time for charging stations

Tell that to the British

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-says-fuel-crisis-is-stabilising-2021-10-01/

British gas pumps still dry, growing concerns pigs will be culled

Poor pigs.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Are there the EV equivalent of gas stations out there yet? Multiple different brands of charges and a nice WaWa type building to get food/snacks/outside seating/bathrooms. And if not, why? Seems like it'd be a good business opportunity.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There are! https://goo.gl/maps/LzHTRvkoPSsgnQXz7

But also, why wouldn't you just charge at the next mall, or McDonald's, instead. The fact you don't need big tanks to hold gas allows for charging infrastructure in more pleasant places.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mattfl posted:

Are there the EV equivalent of gas stations out there yet? Multiple different brands of charges and a nice WaWa type building to get food/snacks/outside seating/bathrooms. And if not, why? Seems like it'd be a good business opportunity.

This is the only one I know of that looks like a gas station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lku13n95b8k

Shop, solar cells, external battery packs for peak load, vacuums next to the chargers. But not different brands of chargers.

I've driven from Norway to Berlin recently and along the motorways the Ionity chargers are often next to a gas station with food and bathrooms and the Tesla supercharger is nearby so it sort of works out like you suggest. It seems to make more sense to just locate the chargers next to existing rest stops instead of building something new.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

There are! https://goo.gl/maps/LzHTRvkoPSsgnQXz7

But also, why wouldn't you just charge at the next mall, or McDonald's, instead. The fact you don't need big tanks to hold gas allows for charging infrastructure in more pleasant places.

This is very cool.

And ya that's a good point about not needing the storage of a regular gas station so chargers can be put just about anywhere.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

mattfl posted:

Yes. The Wawa a few miles from here literally has a row of SuperChargers in the parking lot:

Many of the SuperChargers in Northern Virginia and North Carolina have a small constellation of businesses and convenience stores around them (Sheetz, Wawa, 7-11, etc).

Like a previous comment said; you don't need a lot of space for gas tanks or pumps, so DC fast charging stations tend to be tucked into the parking lots of things like restaurants, hotels, and convenience stores.

Edit: can't type.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 1, 2021

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

borkencode posted:

5 Midwestern governors agree to create a network to charge electric vehicles https://www.npr.org/2021/10/01/1041987104/midwest-electric-vehicles-charging-evs-cars

Good, now just make it so people can buy a Tesla in Wisconsin instead of having to buy it in Illinois or Minnesota and then bring it into WI to register.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

MrPablo posted:

Yes. The Wawa a few miles from here literally has a row of SuperChargers in the parking lot:

Many of the SuperChargers in Northern Virginia and North Carolina have a small constellation of businesses and convenience stores around them (Sheetz, Wawa, 7-11, etc).

Like a previous comment said; you don't need a lot of space for gas tanks or pumps, so DC fast charging stations tend to be tucked into the parking lots of things like restaurants, hotels, and convenience stores.

To follow up on my previous comment, here are a WaWa and a Sheetz that I stopped on a trip in 2019 with both SuperChargers and gas pumps:

(The Wawa that I mentioned in the previous comment only has SuperChargers)

Edit: fIx CaPs.

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 1, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wawa seems to have been pretty friendly with Tesla, they have superchargers at pretty much every Wawa built in Florida since ~2018 or so.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

mattfl posted:

A few of the Chevron stations in Los Angeles have EVGO fast chargers. I’ve used them at the Santa Monica and Venice locations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

In a week I’m driving the Niro EV 315 miles to Vegas.

Do I need to send tribute to Electrify America so they will actually have working chargers in Barstow?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

VideoGameVet posted:

Tell that to the British

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-says-fuel-crisis-is-stabilising-2021-10-01/

British gas pumps still dry, growing concerns pigs will be culled

Poor pigs.
Not pigs! Energy!

Embargo on! :colbert:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

In a week I’m driving the Niro EV 315 miles to Vegas.

Do I need to send tribute to Electrify America so they will actually have working chargers in Barstow?

Check plugshare reviews.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mattfl posted:

This is very cool.

And ya that's a good point about not needing the storage of a regular gas station so chargers can be put just about anywhere.

At the same time though you do want some locations with a lot of chargers in one place so that you don't have to go hunting for an open charging spot among 20 grocery stores with 2 chargers each

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I want them by gas stations so I can use the windshield cleaner/squeegee thingy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ulf posted:

Not pigs! Energy!

Embargo on! :colbert:

I even read it in his voice, thanks, I needed the laugh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Good, now just make it so people can buy a Tesla in Wisconsin instead of having to buy it in Illinois or Minnesota and then bring it into WI to register.

Buddy, let me tell you about Texas...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Check plugshare reviews.

Plugshare doesn't even know about the bank of EvGo chargers in Baker for some reason.

Maybe that's been updated.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fame Douglas posted:

During road trips I haven't even considered stopping at a mall instead of a service station. They have all the services I might want, like the windshield cleaner another poster mentioned. The stations I usually frequent have a small grocery shop, their own restaurant with wide variety of quite good food, but often they have also integrated a burger chain I favour and even a donut shop chain. Then there for example the toilets. Malls and restaurants have them because they know some of their patrons will need them and laws require. But on service stations they are usually a just a bit better, they know a lot of their patrons will be spending a lot of time there.

Of course occasionally I do want something better than what a service station has to offer, but in those cases I wouldn't settle for a mall or McDonald's either. When I arrive on a new city I check what great restaurants they have around, and I go there assuming they won't offer any other services a road tripper might want.

Google photos from one example

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Saukkis posted:

During road trips I haven't even considered stopping at a mall instead of a service station. They have all the services I might want, like the windshield cleaner another poster mentioned. The stations I usually frequent have a small grocery shop, their own restaurant with wide variety of quite good food, but often they have also integrated a burger chain I favour and even a donut shop chain. Then there for example the toilets. Malls and restaurants have them because they know some of their patrons will need them and laws require. But on service stations they are usually a just a bit better, they know a lot of their patrons will be spending a lot of time there.

Of course occasionally I do want something better than what a service station has to offer, but in those cases I wouldn't settle for a mall or McDonald's either. When I arrive on a new city I check what great restaurants they have around, and I go there assuming they won't offer any other services a road tripper might want.

Google photos from one example

look at this guy, too good for McDonalds

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Fancy gas station toilets. The chain connecting the key to the brick is plated in gold.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hey look, a Finland WaWa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

look at this guy, too good for McDonalds

Count me in as too good for that, yuck!