Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fresh image from Disasterzon!

We had a brownout! Storm comes in, lighting go boom, lights flicker. Computers? Fine. Amazon network/internet connection? Fine. About 3/4ths of the conveyor belts on Outbound side? Emergency shutdown. I look up as I just hear everything turning off, followed by "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!" as totes start crashing above my head. Crawl up the ladder to find that mess. Belts on the left are small, basically reinforced cloth and have no inertia so when the motors turned off they stopped immediately. Belt on the right is a big, heavy thing a football field long and has INERTIA so it took a while to come to a halt. In the middle: totes go bang bang bang.

Facilities is in full panic mode fixing almost literally everything else so I had to clear that entire mess on my own best I can (I don't blame them: as said every sorter shut down and like half the belts). Takes about an hour to get things moving and sorted, at least in my zone. For the rest of the night we're having random belt segments dying. Oh and it's still storming so shipdock is falling further and further behind because the trailer yard crew can't do their poo poo while there's lightning.

UNRELATED TO ALL OF THIS I'm watching in our IM a saga about our SmartPac machines being down...again. The entire building was shut down for 24 hours earlier in the month (not on our shift, noooo, we just had mandatory overtime to cover for it.) During which facilities went through and "upgraded" our SmartPac machines and they've barely worked. Which is impressive because they were maintenance hogs before! Problem Solver (PS) over in SmartPac goes "Machine 604 is down. Fac says they're waiting on a part."

Me, thinking: They didn't say it was in the building, just that they're waiting on it...

4 hours later:
Manager: "Hey, is that machine up and running yet?"
PS: "No it's still open and gutted."
Me, finally breaking my silence: "Ask if the part they're waiting for is in the building. They've done it before where they have to have some rookie repairman from another building drive a necessary part to us from 3-4 hours away."
PS: "I'll go check."

Five minutes later, in the IM chat we're supposed to at least try to be semi-professional in:
PS: "Talked to senior repairman. He said new guy hosed it up worse than it was before. It'll be down all night."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Alkydere you have some good stories. Reading them makes it seem like you are the calm eye in the center of a chaos hurricane that is an Amazon FC.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'll be 4 years come November, December will be my 5th holiday peak. All the panic and poo poo rubbed off of me a long time ago. I'm the guy who's halfway to a jam with a long sigh and the poking stick before anyone else notices a line has stopped these days. Also I have a job where I've straight up told managers "My job is to be bored. The more bored I am, the better the building runs."

Though right now the true zen calm one is my daytime counterpart. Sent her the pic and told her about how everything's a mess and she went "LOL, that sounds horrible! Get some sleep! I put in vacation time earlier in the week to take the day off. I get to dodge that bullet!"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I just want you to know Alkydere that in my personal headcannon you are basically a real life incarnation of Chief O達rien.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The Irishman Must Suffer

The guy in that clip of the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie who calmly walks down the deck while his ship explodes around him

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think that was actually 3 POTC movies ago, believe it or not

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I just want you to know Alkydere that in my personal headcannon you are basically a real life incarnation of Chief O達rien.

Oh man, now I知 going to be reading his posts in O達riens voice too, that痴 perfect.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord Bude posted:

This is now canon

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

New Amazon story. Doesn't involve me other than me laughing my rear end off when I read the chat.
-Packer in my department is having trouble because his machine won't print packing slips.
-They send the technically literate problem solver* before they call IT.
-Turns out the packer had unplugged the USB cable to the slip printer to plug in charge his airpods and could not figure out the thing he'd unplugged might have been something important.

Look, I don't care about people breaking the "no earbuds" rule. I wish things had broken down to the point I could have used them before I became utterly broken and got used to the sweet "music" of machinery running around me (I run my little kiosk 50-60% by sound: listening to the tune of the sorter as I read a book). It's just...first of all don't plug random poo poo into the USB slots on Amazon computers! They're paranoid about that and it can get you into real trouble. Secondly: is it really that hard to figure out maybe the little USB cable you unplugged might be important?

*used to be me until I was sent off to work halfway across the building long enough people mostly forgot my skills at fixing poo poo exist.

Second Amazon Story:
Sunday Night (start of my work week): Smalls line is dead for half of the night because Central thought they could only pack about 150 items/hour per person. Average rate for the last two weeks (where Central should be looking) is about 225.

Wednesday Night (end of my work week): Smalls Line is exploded, other departments are running dry and we're routing the work to anywhere that can deal with it because Central thought they could pack at 400. Three years ago before half a dozen process changes they could.

Gossiped with a Facilities guy (repair contractor) and he's all "Yeah because we're contractors and we have the authority to shut poo poo down they warn us ahead of time they're gonna do this. It's because they're stress testing the building and how fast management responds. They don't want us loving it up by panicking and pulling an e-stop somewhere unless something actually breaks."

Me: "Wait so they warn you?"

Fac: "Oh honestly only about half the time."

Me: "Then about half the time they're not stress testing us: they're loving up and justifying it later."

End of shift: Central says we have 36 packers in Mix and refuses to hear otherwise. What the building actually has is 25, and it's the last shift of the week so 4-5 of those are going to use their personal time to leave anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours early.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have an interview for my first ever non-retail job and golly do i hope i get out

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Sankis posted:

I have an interview for my first ever non-retail job and golly do i hope i get out

:pray:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

You got this, go kick rear end.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I imagine my life as apostal worker would be similar to Alkydere's if I worked at a sorting plant.

Instrad I just deal with letter carriers in the morning and people in the late morning or afternoon that think they can bring returns with UPS or FedEx Ground labels to us.

At least I got to chat up a weeb girl today and we talked about our sunk costs in gunpla while I waited for a supervisor to look into something for her.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sankis posted:

you got this poo poo. kick some rear end. become free.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Aye Doc posted:

you got this poo poo. kick some rear end. become free.

Thanks! I already did the first interview but i need to do a working interview next. Its for an animal care position at an animal shelter. Unless it's an absolute nightmare in ways i haven't thought about, cleaning up dog poo poo is almost certainly way better than dealing with customers!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sankis posted:

Thanks! I already did the first interview but i need to do a working interview next. Its for an animal care position at an animal shelter. Unless it's an absolute nightmare in ways i haven't thought about, cleaning up dog poo poo is almost certainly way better than dealing with customers!!

You might still be dealing with customers, adopters, but fingers crossed for you, goon.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Cleaning up dog poo poo sounds a lot less stressful than those hosed up days in retail where you end up cleaning people poo poo.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

ErKeL posted:

Cleaning up dog poo poo sounds a lot less stressful than those hosed up days in retail where you end up cleaning people poo poo.

Like that time at Dollar Tree when I walked a homeless man back to the can, then smelled poo poo in the last aisle...looked around until I saw the golf-ball-sized turd laying on the ground that had rolled out of his jeans.

That was a quick way to get some of the cheap thin gloves marked down for store use. On the one hand I feel bad for the guy but...come on, man, the McDonald's is closer to the homeless camp, why you gotta poo poo yourself in my napkin aisle? :sigh:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I think it痴 ok to be dismayed that someone you were helping out poo poo in your workplace, and it doesn稚 seem like you池e nurturing a resentment over it, for what that痴 worth.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
For the past three months, I've been unable to do my company training. This has been great for me, because company training sucks and is boring. You might ask 'why haven't you been able to do that?'.

Well. Normally, when you join up with Big Foods, they give you a Big Foods account and a Big Foods user ID and then you use that to log in to the computer and rot your brain. Yes, you have to do it, even if you've got nearly a decade of grocery experience. No, I don't know why. Probably insurance and liability reasons.

So aside from the normal, boring things ( do not go into the trash compactor, do not grab electric wires, do not be ( openly ) racist, do not join a union ), they actually covered something else.

They talked covered transsexuals in the discrimination module. And the little art for the transsexual module was centered on a woman outside two different bathroom doors marked male and female, so I was looking at this bad boy like 'gimme a cigarette and strap me in, poo poo's about to get wild'.

And you know what? They did a good job.

Without using the terminology, they said 'do not deadname your co-workers'. They said transsexuals had the right to use whatever bathroom was appropriate for them, and complaining about it was wrong.

It was apparent they actually consulted a trans person or it was written by someone that understood what was going on, and that was surprising to me.

ErKeL posted:

I would be perfectly happy cleaning cages and enclosures and preparing meals for animals. It would definitely feel like you were doing something that you saw the immediate results of, and it wouldn't just be for the profit of Food Corp.

Hope the job comes through and another goon gets out. :unsmith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I know you mean well, but that wird's not in use anymore. It's just trans now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My guess is that痴 what the training used, which still puts it head and shoulders above most material targeted at and made by cis people about trans people that I致e encountered.

But yeah, just trans is the term we use for ourselves as a generalization, no need to deploy all of the syllables. It痴 certainly the case that most who use the full term nowadays are using the length and articulation to highlight that what痴 under discussion are Different People.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

My guess is that痴 what the training used, which still puts it head and shoulders above most material targeted at and made by cis people about trans people that I致e encountered.

But yeah, just trans is the term we use for ourselves as a generalization, no need to deploy all of the syllables. It痴 certainly the case that most who use the full term nowadays are using the length and articulation to highlight that what痴 under discussion are Different People.

Kind of? But also in the context it seemed more appropriate to use the longer word.

Saying 'they covered trans' or 'the trans training module' doesn't read right, so I avoided it. I'll be more than happy to use whatever language you're most comfortable with.

From what I've seen, things haven't been great for the trans community and they've been getting worse. As a part of the LGBT community I just thought it was nice to see something that wasn't stupid or hateful for a change.

I'm aware I'm setting the bar really loving low.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It's also probably a better word for the company to use since the root-word "Trans" can have other actual uses. At my Amazon warehouse "Trans" is usually used as short hand for "Transship", which is sending inventory to other buildings.

I make an active effort to actually write out/say Transship because the last thing I want to slap down in the chat is "We have a trans problem".

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I知 that case I知 p sure it痴 best to use transgender though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Saying 'they covered trans' or 'the trans training module' doesn't read right, so I avoided it. I'll be more than happy to use whatever language you're most comfortable with.

I had a work training on this back in 2018 and this topic of phrasing came up. As I recall, the solution was to use the terminology people who are trans and trans people. Kind of like PoC and Black people versus saying blacks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Essentially, trans is an adjective, that can be used to describe people.

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Fresh image from Disasterzon!

We had a brownout! Storm comes in, lighting go boom, lights flicker. Computers? Fine. Amazon network/internet connection? Fine. About 3/4ths of the conveyor belts on Outbound side? Emergency shutdown. I look up as I just hear everything turning off, followed by "BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!" as totes start crashing above my head. Crawl up the ladder to find that mess. Belts on the left are small, basically reinforced cloth and have no inertia so when the motors turned off they stopped immediately. Belt on the right is a big, heavy thing a football field long and has INERTIA so it took a while to come to a halt. In the middle: totes go bang bang bang.

Facilities is in full panic mode fixing almost literally everything else so I had to clear that entire mess on my own best I can (I don't blame them: as said every sorter shut down and like half the belts). Takes about an hour to get things moving and sorted, at least in my zone. For the rest of the night we're having random belt segments dying. Oh and it's still storming so shipdock is falling further and further behind because the trailer yard crew can't do their poo poo while there's lightning.

UNRELATED TO ALL OF THIS I'm watching in our IM a saga about our SmartPac machines being down...again. The entire building was shut down for 24 hours earlier in the month (not on our shift, noooo, we just had mandatory overtime to cover for it.) During which facilities went through and "upgraded" our SmartPac machines and they've barely worked. Which is impressive because they were maintenance hogs before! Problem Solver (PS) over in SmartPac goes "Machine 604 is down. Fac says they're waiting on a part."

Me, thinking: They didn't say it was in the building, just that they're waiting on it...

4 hours later:
Manager: "Hey, is that machine up and running yet?"
PS: "No it's still open and gutted."
Me, finally breaking my silence: "Ask if the part they're waiting for is in the building. They've done it before where they have to have some rookie repairman from another building drive a necessary part to us from 3-4 hours away."
PS: "I'll go check."

Five minutes later, in the IM chat we're supposed to at least try to be semi-professional in:
PS: "Talked to senior repairman. He said new guy hosed it up worse than it was before. It'll be down all night."

I'm curious if you've ever seen this happen with a big lovely bit of cream in the machine? I had a colleague who worked there and he said that seemed to happen at least once a month, and it seemed like the worst of borth worlds. I'd certainly not want to be on shift during the day where there was a big lovely bit of cream "Gumming up the works" so to say? Al though he argued it helped

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

hambeef posted:

I'm curious if you've ever seen this happen with a big lovely bit of cream in the machine? I had a colleague who worked there and he said that seemed to happen at least once a month, and it seemed like the worst of borth worlds. I'd certainly not want to be on shift during the day where there was a big lovely bit of cream "Gumming up the works" so to say? Al though he argued it helped

Seems stupid

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

hambeef posted:

You must NEVER joke about this!!!

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Hahah I suppose, he aint the smartest one in the bunch :mome:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
...Cream? like... dairy product?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Haven't had any tubes/buckets of any "cream" or anything burst on the sorter. Recently that is.

Previously we were down 10-12 hours because a bucket of carpet glue burst open on an incredibly complex/delicate part of the ship sorter (the thing that sorts the big boxes we made) called the "singulator". Facilities was not happy that day, or the rest of the week really.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Amazon's North America Fulfillment Network went down for 2 hours tonight. Come back from break and none of my tools worked. Nor did anyone else's in the building, or in the nation. Went down at about 11 PM (US Central), came back online at about 1:15. Stood back down at about 1:45 because the servers controlling the inventory robots were still offline for another 30 or so minutes.

So we're running again and oh hey the network going down has garbled everything so half the totes on the line are filled with overages (inventory with no listing: tote says its empty when it's not. I.e.: extra items).

I'm just sitting there the entire time playing my fiddle laughing my rear end off while Rome burns down Amazon's network goes mad. Oh and physically cringing at what Count/ICQA has to do this weekend. They're the department that basically has to go through the inventory pods to figure out where all these overaged items came from so the network has an accurate count of our inventory. For reference a pack department might normally bring 1-2 pallet loads of overaged items to be put back into the system on a normal day. In the last 2 hours of shift each pack department was bringing 3-4 pallets of putbacks.

But as much as I wince in sympathy...it's not my job!

Even moreso because I took tomorrow night off and I have a 4 night weekend! It's someone else's loving problem!

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Looks like I chose the best week to go on vacation. What a wonderful birthday present.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

god drat corporate is just beyond parody with they're bullshit. we basically have to triple check our inventory every day. we're losing money because we have zero time to do work.

like, i did a company survey a few months ago where I punctuated a rant about the pitfalls of middle management and greed with, "you guys are eventually going to want to build company towns like in the great depression but please don't because that's bad" and that same week I read about Amazon mulling over the idea of making company towns. I'm like holy poo poo how dumb are you people?

retail sucks rear end but there's no escape from this capitalism poo poo unless you completely abandon what makes you human.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I'd like to rant a bit about company IM.

Amazon owns Amazon Web Services, obviously. As part of that comes Chime: Amazon's personal IM. Real useful for chatting across the building about issues, plans or just general bullshit to keep one sane throughout the shift.

A few weeks ago, Amazon for some reason started a migration to Slack. Sure, whatever, but...I can't use it. My account hasn't been put in the Amazon work-group and for a while I had to basically keep people from running away off of Chime to keep the ability to do my job. It's calmed down now and we've figured out that Chime is for us basic bitch Tier 1 workers and Tier 3 (assistant managers) and up (managers) get Slack and now have to balance two IM clients or they lose the ability to chat with us in the trenches.

In a massive industry full of dumb decisions its one of the dumbest I've seen.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Huh. My building moved literally everyone who uses a real computer to slack (so all the problem solvers, auditors, mobile receivers, etc.). Wonder if I'll come back after vacation to all tier 1s being exiled back to chime now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've tried multiple times and each time I get an error. I stopped trying a week ago. Maybe I'll try again in a week. It's still stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

We switched to Microsoft Teams for everyone a few years ago and I'd prefer almost anything else. It's a slow piece of garbage.