Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm very interested in what he is going to be like as a coach. The Elder Stock Committee being bitches about the whole affair makes my eyes roll so hard they detach from their sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Very glad I got to see one great Hakuho performance at least, farewell sumo goat :cheerdoge:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

bessantj posted:

I'm very interested in what he is going to be like as a coach. The Elder Stock Committee being bitches about the whole affair makes my eyes roll so hard they detach from their sockets.

"Yeah, you might have been the greatest Yokozuna of all time but you're new to this coaching thing so we're gonna make you sign an oath to shut up and do what we tell you"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
He's building a state of the art 20m dollar stable so I think his wrestlers will do real well getting access to modern facilities.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

He's building a state of the art 20m dollar stable so I think his wrestlers will do real well getting access to modern facilities.

Also building it in one of the nicest parts of Tokyo. I remember walking through Nihonbashi back in 2009 and feeling like someone was about to ask me to leave because I was bringing the tone down.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

whats for dinner posted:

"Yeah, you might have been the greatest Yokozuna of all time but you're new to this coaching thing so we're gonna make you sign an oath to shut up and do what we tell you"

In the Chris Sumo video it was suggested that one member said Hakuho should be contractually bound to work under another coach for 10 years. Which almost seems like a pointless punishment just because Hakuho didn't behave exactly like they wanted him to.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
imagine being a useless old relic and not using systemic power to force a demi-god to dance for you

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah they're being dicks about it but also for context don't forget that all the Takanohana stuff was not that long ago, they're worried about power grabs from folks who disagree with them on a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like how the discussion went from "he's arguably the greatest yokozuna of all time but won't get to keep his ring name as oyakata" to "he's on public dodecatuple probation and if he sneezes wrong there'll be hell to pay"

I mean that was a plot twist we all should have seen coming because you have to keep things interesting but still..

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was doing some reading last night, and I found out that Hakuho's coach, Miyagino-oyakata, only had two tournaments in makuuchi. His highest rank was Maegashira 13! And he coached the greatest yokozuna of all time who was considered too small and skinny to be taken by any other stable.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I was doing some reading last night, and I found out that Hakuho's coach, Miyagino-oyakata, only had two tournaments in makuuchi. His highest rank was Maegashira 13! And he coached the greatest yokozuna of all time who was considered too small and skinny to be taken by any other stable.

Even Miyagino wasn’t convinced right away. He was done with his tryouts and about to give up and head back home when Miyagino called. In Chris’ latest video coverage Hak’s retirement presser, he quotes one of the other reporters as saying that if Miyagino had called 24 hours later, we would never have known the Hakuho experience.

Also, Chris’ latest vid is worth a watch just because of his filming the Miyagino stable waiting for Hakuho to come out. He’s spent like 4 days there getting nothing but forage of random lower rankers coming in and out, but he got a great shot of Hak coming out in the rain with 2 guys on umbrella duty shielding the big man from the elements.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I rewatched Hakuho's last bout last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RAQ0WbyFI for the first time since it was live. Its ugly but really brilliant sumo. The forearm does hit hard but none of the slaps really make contact. That's enough to completely throw off whatever plan Terunofuji might have had. Hakuho gets a good grip, loses it and does everything he can with the arm as quickly and aggressively as he can to drop Terunofuji to the ground. Hakuho was never going to beat him in a strength on strength fight so he made sure Terunofuji couldn't ever get set.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

I rewatched Hakuho's last bout last night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RAQ0WbyFI for the first time since it was live. Its ugly but really brilliant sumo. The forearm does hit hard but none of the slaps really make contact. That's enough to completely throw off whatever plan Terunofuji might have had. Hakuho gets a good grip, loses it and does everything he can with the arm as quickly and aggressively as he can to drop Terunofuji to the ground. Hakuho was never going to beat him in a strength on strength fight so he made sure Terunofuji couldn't ever get set.

i truly believe his bizarre start against shodai the day before was for teru as well. everything about that match was a culmination of all the wiley tricks that have allowed him to stay on top despite being 'in decline' for like four years. it reminds me of bernard hopkins the way he became a wiley, 'dirty' fighter to be a champion while pushing 50.

i know people didn't like it but i thought it was beautiful and the roar at the end i feel even more in my soul now in retrospect.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Marching Powder posted:

i truly believe his bizarre start against shodai the day before was for teru as well. everything about that match was a culmination of all the wiley tricks that have allowed him to stay on top despite being 'in decline' for like four years. it reminds me of bernard hopkins the way he became a wiley, 'dirty' fighter to be a champion while pushing 50.

i know people didn't like it but i thought it was beautiful and the roar at the end i feel even more in my soul now in retrospect.

I think it's pretty incredible how Hakuho managed to put together a tactic that prevented Terunofuji from doing "his style of sumo." Nobody else on the dohyo looked close to stopping Teru from doing whatever he wanted, that basho.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Shiroc posted:

I think the goal from the staredown to the 'No, you will squat first", and finally the slaps was to get to Terunofuji to goad him into reacting, and as soon as he slapped back his defense dropped. After that Hakuho just opened up the bag of tricks with the grip, a blocked leg trip that left Terus arm open, then he yanked for all it was worth. You're right, Hakuho was never going to win with strength, it was all mind games and as much of a cliche as it is, keeping Terunofuji from doing his style of sumo.

Kenning posted:

As a special note, GoatSeeGuy has now logged 7 straight kachi-koshi, and proving that they remain our Hakuho.

Well poo poo, I guess it's been fun guys. Off to get a haircut.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 2, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Regardless of anyone's opinions on Hakuho or the bout itself, its just a perfect final stand for him because nobody was going to win against Terunofuji in that basho, in that way, except Hakuho.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm so happy that he won his last match and under those circumstances :) It's really been something special to be able to watch his career as it unfolded.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, now more than ever I really wish Harumafuji hadn’t beaned that one dude in the head.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Two Isegahama yokozuna would have been extremely interesting to see.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Two Isegahama yokozuna would have been extremely interesting to see.

One of the benefits of multiple yokozuna is getting to see them face off on the last day of a basho as the Big Finale. Two yoks one stable would mean we'd only get to see that for a playoff, which would kinda suck.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The 26th All Japan Women's Sumo Championships & The 18th All Japan Junior High School Women's Sumo Tournament is live right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kr6yAvptt8

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Ignoring the lack of ceremony changing the mood a lot, it looks like a really different sport compared to at least the sekitori divisions of men's sumo. More arm grappling and the belts seem so much higher up as to reduce the value of gripping them.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

What would happen if two dudes from the same stable both managed to go 15-0?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lexorin posted:

The only time two guys from the same stable will fight during a basho is if they are tied for the lead on the last day. I don't think I've seen this happen in the ~three years I've been watching, so my guess is it's pretty uncommon.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lexorin posted:

If they end up tied for the lead-- let alone 15-0-- they face off in the playoff. That's the only time stablemates face each other.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Teddybear posted:

If they end up tied for the lead-- let alone 15-0-- they face off in the playoff. That's the only time stablemates face each other.

The one instance of this happening that I know off the top of my head is the playoff between 65th Yokozuna Takanohana and his brother, at the time Ozeki but eventually the 66th Yokozuna Wakanohana, here's video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkeox16ismI&t=1901s

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Brut posted:

The one instance of this happening that I know off the top of my head is the playoff between 65th Yokozuna Takanohana and his brother, at the time Ozeki but eventually the 66th Yokozuna Wakanohana, here's video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkeox16ismI&t=1901s

That's cool as hell.

As someone who really got into sumo in the last year or so, I'm looking forward to when full crowds are back and getting that energy into the building.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

What’s the most likely teammate duo to playoff against each other? My bet would be Takakeisho and Takanosho is the highest ranking pair. A healthy Takakeisho is the 2nd best in the fIeld, but Takanosho hasn’t really broken through for a big result near the top. Unless he makes a leap forward, his best bet would be to fall down he ranks and dominate from there like his previous jun-yusho.

No one else sends 2 guys near the top consistently so it might have to be one guy near the top and a teammate surprising from the bottom. If it’s two guys near he bottom, I assume they manipulate the matchups enough to drop at least 1 from contention before it becomes an issue. And just 2 simultaneous flukes being unlikely, which would eliminate Team Chiyo that has a billion guys in the 19+ range but no real contenders.

Other Teammates:

Teru/Takarafuji/Terutsuyoshi: Takarafuji has 2 10+ tourneys in 55 makuuchi appearances and they are from 2016 and 2013. Terutsuyoshi hasn't done anything since his fluke jun-yusho. The second guy has like no chance, but they do have an advantage as they are basically guaranteed one in the running so they only need 1 breakout/fluke instead of 2.

Hoshoryu/Meisei: probably the second best duo now. Meisei and
Takanosho are probably both going to be hanging out around sanyaku/M1-2 for a long time as a downside so I'd have them as even for one spot. Hoshoryu's breakout seems just around the corner but he hasn't done it yet so he's well behind Takakeisho.

Daiesho/Endo/Tobizaru: Daiesho’s won before and has a couple good results so it's not a complete fluke. Endo will be Endo, but if he ever drops again he could have another tourney like the last one. Tobizaru can also do damage from the lower ranks.

Kotonowaka/Kotoshoho: A long term bet. Seems like only time before Kotonowaka becomes a contender and Kotoshoho was looking like a pretty good prospect before he got hurt.

Asanoyama, Ichinojo and Takayasu don't have any teammates worth mentioning.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 4, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takayasu being in a playoff right now is basically fan fiction :(

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

2 more Ishiura losses in July would have opened the door for an Enho-Ishiura-Hokuseiho potential Juryo playoff but alas.

If the JSA doesn’t keep Abi in Juryo one more basho just out of spite I wouldn’t be shocked at a Hokuseiho-Enho playoff in November. Enho was looking good in inter-stable practice and has another 2 months to heal. Hokuseiho is just Hokuseiho.*

*He’s either going 13-2 or 2-13 for his Juryo debut. He’s smart, strong, and huge but his tachiai sucked as of July and he’s going to be facing guys that have been there/done that from here on out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

2 more Ishiura losses in July would have opened the door for an Enho-Ishiura-Hokuseiho potential Juryo playoff but alas.

If the JSA doesn’t keep Abi in Juryo one more basho just out of spite I wouldn’t be shocked at a Hokuseiho-Enho playoff in November. Enho was looking good in inter-stable practice and has another 2 months to heal. Hokuseiho is just Hokuseiho.*

*He’s either going 13-2 or 2-13 for his Juryo debut. He’s smart, strong, and huge but his tachiai sucked as of July and he’s going to be facing guys that have been there/done that from here on out.

Didn't look in juryo, but yeah, I could see a playoff between Hak's boys. Enho/Ishiura vs Hokuseiho would be a really fun veteran wiles vs. brute force match if it happens soon. In another year or two it's probably going to be no contest as the big man gains the experience and skills to go with his size.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

If you have a couple hours to kill and wanna watch old Sumo and listen to the commentator do kilo>stone calculations in his head for the wrestlers, I've got the link for you:
(currently a video)Part1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqoZYXGq0c
(starting "live" now)Part2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMRc-UDrow

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Here is a picture of the GOAT in a very nice suit
https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1445150355331813378

That smile

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I wonder how weird going to a hairdresser after 20 years of mage is going to be.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a channel that has historical basho in their entirety? I don’t mean historical like from the 1960s or anything, just basho going back before COVID. I got my friend into Sumo but he’s never seen a non-COVID basho with rowdy crowds and zabuton flying etc.

We usually synctube Natto every day of tournaments but I thought it would be fun to do a pre-COVID basho, one a day, if that were possible. If for no other reason than to kill time before banzuke.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Is there a channel that has historical basho in their entirety? I don’t mean historical like from the 1960s or anything, just basho going back before COVID. I got my friend into Sumo but he’s never seen a non-COVID basho with rowdy crowds and zabuton flying etc.

We usually synctube Natto every day of tournaments but I thought it would be fun to do a pre-COVID basho, one a day, if that were possible. If for no other reason than to kill time before banzuke.

Kintamayama's the OG. Checking his Youtube playlists (not sure if he has non-playlisted videos going back even further), his 10-15 minute upper division videos for most tournaments date back to May of 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE6zSR6DFo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh wow, 2014 plenty good. Thanks!!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
the earlier videos are shorter, but I think he has the actual bouts going back to Nagoya 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M0pdvF5yN8

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Well, any recommended bashos/days to share with people new to sumo? Might be cool to put a list together the the OP, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oh wow, 2014 plenty good. Thanks!!

If you are showing highlight tourneys rather than going through them all, I don’t think you can beat the January/March 2017 series for atmosphere and to show your buddy what a full arena looks like at its best. I don’t think anything will match it for years after everything fills up again. The March tourney was probably cooler overall, but January has the most coolest part. You’ll probably know what tournaments these are right away or already know but no spoilers just in case it takes a day or two.

Anyone else have any cool tournaments to watch?