Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

wiegieman posted:

The seat gets two votes because you have to kill not only the person sitting in it, you have to kill yourself to get it.

Ah, I must have missed/forgot that part. Or was it covered elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no because they made it up just now

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's an inference, but it seems like the sort of thing the locals would do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was a bit confused by it. I was wondering if there was a Storm storyline I missed somewhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was deliberately unclear if that scene was in the past or future.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Well, regardless of confusion, it was a great issue. Can't go wrong with Storm just repeatedly showing what a bad rear end she is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Any issue of any X-Men comic that involves Storm triumphing against ludicrous adversity has all-timer potential. Like 50% of the best classic Uncanny issues are that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm with no powers and a knife is probably more dangerous than Storm with powers and no knife.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

One thing that doesn't make sense to me about the Orchis attacks So the team that goes on the mission dies every time, different configurations whatever. SOMEONE has to be sending them off to do this, and have a plan mapped out. Them repeating the same patterns again and again doesn't make sense. I get you have a memory back up of before you die so you lose some time, but there should be some sort of physical data of "okay we planned it this way we died, planned it this way didn't work" and so on. Either whoever is planning the missions is sending on purpose so those dead bodies pile up to get cloned or whatever at the Orchis facility, or a telepath is also mind wiping the organizer of the missions and wiping data every single time so they are completely ineffective

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why dont they use the might of Arakko omegas to wipe out Orchis? Seems like the one place they might benefit from zero tolerance maniacs.
Or borrow a Shiar battlecruiser and death star the station to oblivion

I love how Hickman writes Charles and Magneto as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 1, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Jiro posted:

One thing that doesn't make sense to me about the Orchis attacks So the team that goes on the mission dies every time, different configurations whatever. SOMEONE has to be sending them off to do this, and have a plan mapped out. Them repeating the same patterns again and again doesn't make sense. I get you have a memory back up of before you die so you lose some time, but there should be some sort of physical data of "okay we planned it this way we died, planned it this way didn't work" and so on. Either whoever is planning the missions is sending on purpose so those dead bodies pile up to get cloned or whatever at the Orchis facility, or a telepath is also mind wiping the organizer of the missions and wiping data every single time so they are completely ineffective

Way way back in House of X (I think it was HoX) they said that missions to blow up Orchis are far enough away out in space to be out of the range of telepathy, which I think is the crux of the problem - they don't get any data beyond 'well, we looked through a telescope and the Orchis station is still floating out there.' They probably change up the approach a bit every time - we've only seen the one mission, but it seems safe to assume that 'send X-Force in inside of a hollowed-out asteroid' wasn't their first option, that they've tried different angles of attack and tactics each time - but the amount of feedback they get from each attempt is distressingly low.

What's biting them in the rear end, I suspect, is that Xavier and Magneto are almost assuredly reviving X-Force from backups that were taken before the mission planning occurred, because that way they come back with the knowledge that "hey Charlie and Mags have a mission for us" but not "hey Charlie and Mags seem really worried about Nimrod's existence, I wonder why, maybe we should start asking questions that might eventually lead us to figure out Moira's deal." Hell, X-Force probably doesn't even know they've tried and failed the mission a dozen times previously.

Mind, that still requires us to believe that Magneto and Professor X haven't sat down and come up with a more creative solution than "keep throwing X-Force at them and hope that eventually we get lucky" but hey

EDIT:

fatherboxx posted:

Why dont they use the might of Arakko omegas to wipe out Orchis? Seems like the one place they might benefit from zero tolerance maniacs.
Or borrow a Shiar battlecruiser and death star the station to oblivion

I think a big part of the problem is that this is a Charlie/Magneto/Moira "off the books" op - this is why they keep sending the deniable X-Force and not, like, a real team of X-Men. They can't just tell everyone "hey so it is super important that we stop Nimrod from becoming a thing and/or stop Nimrod now before it gets scarier," because then someone would reasonably ask "why is it so important that Nimrod get shut down immediately, it doesn't seem to be any more existential a threat than, I dunno, the Cosmic Cube or whatever and you're not losing your poo poo over that" and they cannot - for whatever reason - respond with "because Moira MacTaggert, who isn't really dead and who is also on her tenth life and who might be the most important person alive because her death would reset this entire timeline, said it was critical."

'Cause they're the only two who know that, and they don't want to share.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 1, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
oh my god inferno. why the gently caress does it have to end now? man, screw marvel and substack. and hickman i guess. plans spinning out of control, grumble grumble

quote:

Hell, X-Force probably doesn't even know they've tried and failed the mission a dozen times previously.

i love it

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's another Hickman Illuminati hubris but with fewer people.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

X-Force are pretty crap at being deniable ops these days (and honestly, ever), thanks Beast

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hell, X-Force probably doesn't even know they've tried and failed the mission a dozen times previously.

the one fear of Dark Souls player, forgetting their corpse runs

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Does Krakoa have an infinite amount of adamantium for new Wolverine skeletons or what? Did I miss something?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Joe Fisto posted:

Does Krakoa have an infinite amount of adamantium for new Wolverine skeletons or what? Did I miss something?

I think Proteus takes care of that

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Proteus does take care of that, though we've also seen Forge has a big ol' adamantium pool too for some drat reason

he claims it's for new Wolverine skeletons - and it might be, at least partially, for all those times when Logan gets his arm ripped off and so he needs new adamantium arm-bones but not, like, a full reboot

but it's Forge, so who the hell knows, he might be building toasters out of adamantium just because he can

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hey. Laura needs claws too. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Hey. Laura needs claws too. :colbert:

nah, Laura's too cool to need that kind of backup

she simply doesn't get her limbs removed, because she is better at this poo poo than Logan is

QED :colbert:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Thanks guys!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of curious as to why they keep sending in so few people with each shot. Like, I guess they don't want humans in general to know about the resurrections but I think at this point the ORCHIS guys have gotta be catching on after the 11th Wolverine or so. So don't send X-Force send a fuckin' army. Hell, send in multiple versions of the same character. I mean maybe that's some sort of ethical thing but ethics are pretty fast and loose with the X-Men these days, if there's no chance of retrieval and it's basically a suicide mission, why not send like 60 Gambits through a portal and just start blowing things up left and right?

I mean I get why they can't call in some solutions, because then you get into "why doesn't Superman just take out Batman's bad guys?" territory and that's just comics, but it seems like all their attempts have been so... conventional.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah the biggest plot hole here is that they're protecting important secrets and following self-imposed rules in the face of genocide. If ending Nimrod was that important, you'd resurrect 30 Magnetos, drop them in, and finish it all.

But I get why for story reasons that doesn't happen.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
After Planet-Sized it's hard to believe that it's impossible for them to take out that station. My theory is they are less inclined to stage an full out assault on Orchis for all to see, since (and especially after Planet Sized) Orchis has been going around marketing themselves as humanity's last line of defense against the rise of mutants, and if Krakoa openly nukes them out of existence they might just rebuild back on earth with far more backing than they had before.

Honestly I would also be more worried about that sentinel city that they are building.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I originally just assumed the twist was that this was one of the lives but not 616 or whatever but then they started referencing Krakoa in other books and clearly that was not the case. I am kind of am going back to wondering if that is the case though and the other references just happened to be stories that took place in that version of Moria's life too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I'm kind of curious as to why they keep sending in so few people with each shot. Like, I guess they don't want humans in general to know about the resurrections but I think at this point the ORCHIS guys have gotta be catching on after the 11th Wolverine or so. So don't send X-Force send a fuckin' army. Hell, send in multiple versions of the same character. I mean maybe that's some sort of ethical thing but ethics are pretty fast and loose with the X-Men these days, if there's no chance of retrieval and it's basically a suicide mission, why not send like 60 Gambits through a portal and just start blowing things up left and right?

I mean I get why they can't call in some solutions, because then you get into "why doesn't Superman just take out Batman's bad guys?" territory and that's just comics, but it seems like all their attempts have been so... conventional.

I suspect it's because X-Force needing to get resurrected by The Five is a very commonplace occurrence, but like seventy mutants, not so much. Remember, Xavier and Magneto are trying to keep this quiet. They can explain away Yet More Dead X-Force easily, but if they start going "okay we need to bring back these thirty guys and also stop asking what happened to all the spare Gambits", Hope is gonna start asking some questions, y'know?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But then the question is why destroying Nimrod or Orchis would need to be a secret from the X-Men or even other Krakoans? It's not as if their initial assault to bring down the mother mold was a big secret.

Who's gonna be like "No don't do that"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, one of the three laws is kill no humans and every halfway successful assault on orchis involves killing humans.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rick posted:

I originally just assumed the twist was that this was one of the lives but not 616 or whatever but then they started referencing Krakoa in other books and clearly that was not the case. I am kind of am going back to wondering if that is the case though and the other references just happened to be stories that took place in that version of Moria's life too.

So here's my thoughts.

Either one of the scenes we've seen is from life 2 and we were lied to about Moira dying in a plane crash, which is Moira following the same steps in life 3 to determine if what Destiny says is true or...

The scene in HoX/PoX is how Moira presented the scene to Xavier when he read her mind, and she knowingly omitted and changed some parts of the conversation to mask her intentions.

I also don't think Destiny telling Mystique to "burn it down" is revenge for not bringing her back, but it's to help mutants. Mystique and Destiny want mutants to survive, so there's no question as to where they stand. But Moira has doubts about which side to choose.

But either way, I'm coming to the conclusion that Moira is not on the mutants side or she's hedging her bets.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I can't remember where, probably twitter, but someone had the theory that Moira's ultimate goal was to merge with the Phalanx when it gets to Earth in hundreds of years. But the probelm is, merging with it will kill her, which resets her life. So she needs to create a mutant cure to break her out of the cycle once and for all. So she needs to both live for like eight hundred years and not be a mutant when the time comes, which is threading a pretty thin needle.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Plan 728: Lila ports in Orphan Maker, who strips off and annihilates the crap out of the entire station.

Eh, it’s gotta be worth a shot instead of sending Wolvie up there yet again. Plus I really wanna know what the deal with his powers is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does the timing on all the x-things going on seem a little off to anyone else? There's just so many things going on right now that it seems kind of crazy?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It does feel a little bit like Schrodinger's Quiet Council at the moment. Magneto and Sinister are currently in stories that should seriously compromise their position on the council, but everything seems business as usual for them in Inferno...which just threw a major curveball of an ending, which probably isn't going to be addressed in any other books until this event is over, which is simply unavoidable because all these individual major storylines are going to take months to progress, so I guess we're supposed to just assume every single story takes place after every single other one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rochallor posted:

I can't remember where, probably twitter, but someone had the theory that Moira's ultimate goal was to merge with the Phalanx when it gets to Earth in hundreds of years.
I think that's where this timeline is going. She clearly needs to make something akin to the black-hole worldmind, or find a way to infect the whole Phalanx and ensure mutant kind survives.

I'm just hoping it's not some heh, mutants win oh no everything reset again so it's a new world anything can happen will rock the X-men to the core thing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, one of the three laws is kill no humans and every halfway successful assault on orchis involves killing humans.

This is a self-imposed rule that is directly affecting their stated goal of not becoming extinct. Ditto being secretive about resurrection, or attacking ORCHIS at all. If Nimrod is an existential threat, maybe put other things aside and deal with that.

For the story to be interesting they have to ignore these things.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Send a dozen Jamie Madroxes in, you invade ORCHIS with an army of thousands.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Rochallor posted:

I can't remember where, probably twitter, but someone had the theory that Moira's ultimate goal was to merge with the Phalanx when it gets to Earth in hundreds of years. But the probelm is, merging with it will kill her, which resets her life. So she needs to create a mutant cure to break her out of the cycle once and for all. So she needs to both live for like eight hundred years and not be a mutant when the time comes, which is threading a pretty thin needle.

Moira is legit playing the sickest rogue like of all time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I also did a re-read of HoX/PoX last night and it's interesting to see that Hickman laid out a whole bunch of stuff that was right in front of us and told us exactly what things would happen, but just not when or with clarity. And a bunch of the Sinister Secrets came to pass in future storylines, and even had Inferno mentioned at the start.

I think so far a couple of the things that haven't been touched upon were Sinister having replaced someone before Xavier knew about it, and Doug and Warlock working with Krakoa.

I still think the big thing that's been right in front of us but hasn't had much attention called to it is Doug and Warlock infecting Krakoa with the transmode virus, but with Krakoa's permission. This is, I think, what's ultimately going to help the X-Men win. In that they'll have something that's like a mutant Phalanx on their side.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

I think so far a couple of the things that haven't been touched upon were Sinister having replaced someone before Xavier knew about it

Destiny?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Steve Orlando taking over for Duggen on Marauders post-Inferno with Annual #1.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/com...auders-annual-1

Dauterman cover indicates some new potential members...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The real twist is going to come from how every time they send Wolverine into the Orchis strike and gently caress it up, they're further funding Orchis to the tune of a few billion dollars' worth of synthetic Adamantium.

Orchis's accountants have come to rely upon this. The only thing keeping their secret solar space fortress in the black is the cash injection from X-Force suicide strikes.