Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just want to see the inspection report on that house. 2007 construction on a 10,000 sq ft house in MO. I wouldn't take that house if it was free. Well, I'd take the land and remove the house.

You know this house is a hot loving mess. That's why it's been listed for years, gone pending twice only to be relisted again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Hey Residency Evil, your family must have breathed a sigh of relief when you graduated med school and spun the wheel of Expensive Habits For Doctors only to have it land on "Cars" instead of "Pilot License"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Hey Residency Evil, your family must have breathed a sigh of relief when you graduated med school and spun the wheel of Expensive Habits For Doctors only to have it land on "Cars" instead of "Pilot License"

He just doesn't post about the airplane.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Saved Zillow Criteria:
3 car garage
Private airstrip

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

John Cenas Jorts posted:

That piece of junk? It’s over 24 years old!

skipdogg posted:

He just doesn't post about the airplane.

How will I buy cars if I’m dead?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, old cars fit in old garages a lot better than new cars do.

Most important thing is vertical space. A hydraulic lift means there's always room for one more car!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
On the topic of houses, BWM is hiring your football buddy to be your architect instead of soliciting bids. They also just took his recommendation on a general contractor instead of again soliciting bids.

https://www.universalhub.com/2021/there-are-houses-turn-money-pits-and-then-there

quote:

In 2016, the Berylsons say, they signed a contract with Piscuskas to design and oversee what they claim he told him would be a three-year project costing between $10.6 million and $12.5 million to update their existing Highgate Road home and add a large, modern-style addition featuring a "dining pavilion," lots more rooms and underground parking, servants' quarters and a custom dome.

Instead, they say, by the time they stopped paying Piscauskas last year, the project was nowhere near done, but the cost had ballooned to $28 million, only in part due to their need to find a new architect and general contractor. Town records show that as of March of this year, when the Berylsons sued, the work was still unfinished.

edit: woops, thought I was in the bad with money thread.

edit2: contributing:
3 car garage, private airstrip, $529k: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1001-Kennebec-Rd-Hampden-ME-04444/112677367_zpid/

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 2, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Saved Zillow Criteria:
3 car garage
Private airstrip

There's a community less than 10 minutes from me that ticks all those boxes.

Check this place out

Gorgeous 4 bedroom 3.5 bathroom estate on over 1 acre in Kestrel Air Park with access to private airstrip. This hill country retreat comes with RV parking garage, large pool, hot tub & beautiful outdoor fireplace.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/531-Flightline_Spring-Branch_TX_78070_M84698-69784

edit: only has a 2 car garage, but you have an acre, so you can build a secondary garage if you want

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 2, 2021

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

MrKatharsis posted:

edit: woops, thought I was in the bad with money thread.

Well it is the house buying thread so you kind of are.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

skipdogg posted:

Gorgeous 4 bedroom 3.5 bathroom estate on over 1 acre in Kestrel Air Park with access to private airstrip. This hill country retreat comes with RV parking garage, large pool, hot tub & beautiful outdoor fireplace.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/531-Flightline_Spring-Branch_TX_78070_M84698-69784

I'm not sure I can get past the placement of that permanent smoker behind the pool. It almost looks like that rock volcano erupted sometime after construction, destroying the no longer visible outdoor dining space, forever separating the smoker from the grill. On the plus side, the 'cano is now dormant and a hot spring may now be found feeding into the pool.

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 2, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question:

How much would we be talking to tear down this wall/add a third garage spot, ballpark?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It'd be cheaper to build a separate detached garage next to it

You're gonna have zoning problems with seperation/setback
You're moving a major external structural wall, that's a whole :can:
You're gonna gently caress up the roof line, new roof trusses, new roofing material
New foundation will probably gently caress with existing drainage

Minimum $50,000 pre covid, and that's grossly under-guessing
Probably $180,000 or $200

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 2, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

It'd be cheaper to build a separate detached garage next to it

You're gonna have zoning problems with seperation/setback
You're moving a major external structural wall, that's a whole :can:
You're gonna gently caress up the roof line, new roof trusses, new roofing material
New foundation will probably gently caress with existing drainage

Minimum $50,000 pre covid, and that's grossly under-guessing
Probably $180,000 or $200

That’s helpful, thanks. I was thinking 50-75k or so. Either way, I think the house isn’t right for us. Weird layout: awesome master bedroom, but there’s only 1 other decently sized bedroom upstairs. Two are tiny and on the first floor, and there’s a bigger one in the basement. Family selling it has two toddlers and it’s clear the layout is a pita.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can barely build an uninsulated modular steel garage on farmland for $30k these days, something built to code attached to a residence will cost you a small fortune

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

You can barely build an uninsulated modular steel garage on farmland for $30k these days, something built to code attached to a residence will cost you a small fortune

Ah the garage there is unattached, if that helps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Might help slightly, but probably that garage will be held to $residential standards given the finish, and what looks like an upstairs loft etc, hard to tell from an admittedly really lovely photo

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I forgot the worst part of our garage: they put the electric panel right where a door would open, making it so that you can never open that door now. It’s infuriating that they put it there, where there are many other places it could have easily gone that wouldn’t have made a passenger door inoperable

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Omne posted:

It’s infuriating that they put it there, where there are many other places it could have easily gone that wouldn’t have made a passenger door inoperable

This is the quintessential statement regarding most previous owners decisions. I have it usually once per project.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What do you want to look at on refinance estimates besides the rate and points? I have two quotes, one the standard ILE form, and another like an excel spreadsheet so hard to compare exactly and in trying to figure out how accurate the spreadsheet one actually is. The first is NBKC and has points for the rate, while the second (lender.com) has no points for the same rate they didn't include costs like escrow due so the apr and can due at closing is obviously cheaper and I don't know if I can do a 1 to 1 comparison of APR. That agent also said they couldn't give an ILE form until I was ready to go with them because it was a lot of work. NBKC is going to cost another thousand in points but actuator gave me the property sheet and captured those extra costs that would be due

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 2, 2021

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Our new place has a garage, and I originally 100% intended to park the car in there. We still have all our stuff arranged so a car will fit except my 2015 mazda sedan will just barely clear the 1984 garage door and not being used to parking in tight boxes I just can't do it. My husband tried and the side mirrors almost got removed.

At least now I have a place to put the stupid loving vespa I've always wanted.

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 2, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Our garage was built in 1912 :)

I guess that makes it a carriage house, but its not a true carriage house because its only 1 level.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

CongoJack posted:

Cars have gotten so much bigger in the past like 30 years. My condo was built in 95, my outback fits in the garage ok but anything larger would be a serious pain in the rear end. I think about getting a smaller car every time I park.

I'm dreading trying to find our next 'family mobile' that works well in our 80s 2-car garage. A minivan is probably the best bet for the sliding door, so rammy kids don't ding doors, but minivans now are so drat large. It'll fit, but the back gate may not open without the garage door being open.

I've told my wife that we're test driving whatever we're considering to our house to see how it works.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Decided against the house. House is going to go for 100k+ over. Our offer of 50k over + 100k for a garage addition is something I don't feel like going beyond. :suicide:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

What do you want to look at on refinance estimates besides the rate and points? I have two quotes, one the standard ILE form, and another like an excel spreadsheet so hard to compare exactly and in trying to figure out how accurate the spreadsheet one actually is.

Delete the spreadsheet from your computer. Call up spreadsheet company and say "Please provide your proposal on a Loan Estimate HUD form." They will press you on "how they're doing" and "waaahhhhh" and "my children will starve", be polite but firm, and time boxed, that you will accept no other document from them and you will have no idea how they are doing as you haven't seen it on that form. If they give you anything else send them back an email retracting your application and demand to be added to their "do not call" list.

Hit up better.com - they generate them on demand. Hit up a couple other lenders. Compare all the boxes, but don't worry about your property taxes / insurance stuff because that's all unrelated to your loan. You know what both of those fields should be, but getting them to fill it in could be literally impossible.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GEMorris posted:

I mean, thats likely what we will build in 5+ years but it'll likely be an ADU for family.

I know where I live has some *serious baggage* for someone who grew up around here, but I honestly couldn't give a single poo poo about the country club chuds. Thankfully covid normalized being a recluse, my lot is sufficiently large, and wasps are outwardly polite.
It's all new money there now anyway. Having disdain for your neighbors is par for the course in bougie country club communities.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Delete the spreadsheet from your computer. Call up spreadsheet company and say "Please provide your proposal on a Loan Estimate HUD form." They will press you on "how they're doing" and "waaahhhhh" and "my children will starve", be polite but firm, and time boxed, that you will accept no other document from them and you will have no idea how they are doing as you haven't seen it on that form. If they give you anything else send them back an email retracting your application and demand to be added to their "do not call" list.

Hit up better.com - they generate them on demand. Hit up a couple other lenders. Compare all the boxes, but don't worry about your property taxes / insurance stuff because that's all unrelated to your loan. You know what both of those fields should be, but getting them to fill it in could be literally impossible.

Thanks; company could not generate the LE form today because they don't work on Sunday so their rates aren't locked and will change based on whatever the new numbers tomorrow are so we'll see. We're in a unique situation where we need a 60 day lock because our refinance can't close until end of Nov so we're doing this anticipating rates going up and trying to lock now. We have a locked original disclosure from one company that costs an extra grand in points but if what i'm reading is correct we can run with that and back out of if we do see a better rate in the next couple weeks since there's no application fee and we're not on a house closing deadline. I reached out to better.com to see if I can get a LE with rate lock since that changes the numbers.

Crystal ball is also saying rates are completely random:

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 3, 2021

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Verman posted:

This is the quintessential statement regarding most previous owners decisions. I have it usually once per project.

It’s new construction!!!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Thanks; company could not generate the LE form today because they don't work on Sunday so their rates aren't locked and will change based on whatever the new numbers tomorrow are so we'll see.

There is a big difference between "I will give you one on Monday when I get back to the office" and "pointless facts about rate locks." They are unrelated. There is in fact a checkbox on the HUD form for this exact reason!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

There is a big difference between "I will give you one on Monday when I get back to the office" and "pointless facts about rate locks." They are unrelated. There is in fact a checkbox on the HUD form for this exact reason!
Response I got back was that they don't like to do disclosures unless we decide to move forward with them since they "hedge on the secondary market and it's quite a bit of work on their end," but after I said we'd like to move forward with them so please now give us a disclosure agent told me they may not be back in the office until Monday; since I never got anything from turn I'm guessing they definitely won't be in until Monday, so to be technically fair I guess the last time they didn't say they wouldn't, just that they didn't want to.

One question to your point is on e-mailing to rescind the application; are there rules about cancelling/pulling refinance applications, or is it just money lost that's already been spent (appraisals, etc.) and hurt feelings?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 3, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Residency Evil posted:

Decided against the house. House is going to go for 100k+ over. Our offer of 50k over + 100k for a garage addition is something I don't feel like going beyond. :suicide:

drat, sorry RE. Don't fret, you'll find something cool

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

PageMaster posted:

Response I got back was that they don't like to do disclosures unless we decide to move forward with them since they "hedge on the secondary market and it's quite a bit of work on their end," but after I said we'd like to move forward with them so please now give us a disclosure agent told me they may not be back in the office until Monday; since I never got anything from turn I'm guessing they definitely won't be in until Monday, so to be technically fair I guess the last time they didn't say they wouldn't, just that they didn't want to.

One question to your point is on e-mailing to rescind the application; are there rules about cancelling/pulling refinance applications, or is it just money lost that's already been spent (appraisals, etc.) and hurt feelings?

As someone who works in home lending, anyone not willing to give you a loan estimate is a piece of poo poo and you should not do business with them because they are dishonest and also violating fair lending regulations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Omne posted:

It’s new construction!!!

Lol oops.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Inner Light posted:

What on earth is going on with the level on the vanity? Doesn't seem like a dealbreaker I just haven't seen that before, lol.

When people talk about the worst parts of living in North Dakota they never mention the scourge of the slanted vanities...

I think this one is less pronounced by a couple of degrees but it looks even worse imho, more like an alignment accident. God I hate house buying but I love finding dumb poo poo on Zillow

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Are you sure it’s not just the fisheye lens loving up perspective?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

iv46vi posted:

Are you sure it’s not just the fisheye lens loving up perspective?

Look at the tiles on the wall along the slanted edge.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I don't think so, look at the edge compared to the grout lines of the wall tile

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
That’s what I mean, the height of the cut tiles appears to be the same to me but it’s a low res enough pic that you can be right. If you look at the short wall on the bottom left corner or the bottom of the doorways the lines are all inclined as well, but I’d assume their floor is not angled that bad.

I’ve just seen enough realtor photos lately that gently caress around with dimensions for presentation, enough to not trust any one of them.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Closed.

House is roughly what we thought it was, some parts aren't as nice as we built it up in our head, but that's house buying.

Nothing better than experiencing how racist and awful wealthy white people are.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Upgrade posted:

That sucks, but congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Upgrade posted:

Closed.

House is roughly what we thought it was, some parts aren't as nice as we built it up in our head, but that's house buying.

Did you end up getting the tenant to agree to move out early or are they staying until the end of the lease?