Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://lichess.org/TqEoOKdw2PQ9

Today in lessons about sidelines. The issue with cute sidelines is that you have to know the weird forced variations to play when your opponent fucks up. If you can't punish your opponent loving up, why are you even playing the line.

I've just instinctively played 12...Be7, because I completely blanked that I can (and have to) take the c-pawn en passant. White now has a forced win. The line being 13.cxd5 exd5 14.Nf5, where white is going to take on e7 then play f3 winning the knight. My opponent spend a full minute on this move before playing 13.cxd5 exd5 14.Qh5, at which point white's advantage is entirely gone. White has trouble keeping a pawn's worth of initiative, and is shortly losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Anyone interested in being a kind of chess mentor for fun and profit (no really, just fun)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Still a beginner, but I was quite pleased with myself finding and executing mate in 5. Also mating with a pawn in the middle of the board is always just lovely

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

I made a couple mistakes but I didn't miss the chance to force checkmate this time; usually I don't see it and just try to come out ahead a little bit in material. Really enjoy the Ruy Lopez, though I do need to be more precise about how I approach it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
code:
r3k1r1/1pp2ppp/p1bqp3/6Q1/3P4/2N2P2/PPP3PP/2KR3R w q - 6 17
how do i get better at spotting good pawn pushes, like 17. d5 here?

with the computer's help, i can see why its good. but, this is a move i would never even consider, especially in blitz.

EDIT: in the game, i played 17. h4 instead :whitewater:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 2, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

See how your opponent's king is in the middle and the e-file is otherwise open for you to control? The point of d5 is to crack open the e-file so you can play Rhe1.

It's a bit of a higher concept move, but the basic idea is "open a file in front of the opponent's king."

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Helianthus Annuus posted:

code:
r3k1r1/1pp2ppp/p1bqp3/6Q1/3P4/2N2P2/PPP3PP/2KR3R w q - 6 17
is this a compact chess notation?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yeah, FEN iirc. Lichess etc can import it; it’s a current game state with no history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth%E2%80%93Edwards_Notation

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Read it as representing rows from top to bottom. The numerals represent the number of blank squares. So the top row (unintuitively row 8), r3k1r1, is a rook, three empty squares, the king, another empty square, the other rook, then an empty square. Capital letters for white pieces, lower case for black.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Still steadily playing and steadily getting better. Today I'm happy with this game where I saw, on purpose, mate in 2 (if the opponent doesn't sac) from this position.

Course, this won't be possible if the opponent went to Kg8 instead of Kf6. I'll take it!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 2, 2021

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

See how your opponent's king is in the middle and the e-file is otherwise open for you to control? The point of d5 is to crack open the e-file so you can play Rhe1.

It's a bit of a higher concept move, but the basic idea is "open a file in front of the opponent's king."

thanks

so are you saying Black's king on e8 (half open file) is what should prompt me to look at pushing d5? because if you change the position so that one of my pawns is on e2, pushing d5 is still the best move.

code:
r3k1r1/1pp2ppp/p1bqp3/6Q1/3P4/2N2P2/PPP1P2P/2KR3R w q - 6 17
in this position, 99% chance i would play e4, but d5 would still be the better move!

or should i have been prompted by my rook on d1 and its control of the d file? because in the altered position, the reason its a good move has little to do with Black's king, its because after d5 exd5 Nxd5 Bxd5 Rxd5, White's rook is activated while Black has to trade queens and double black's pawns on the kingside.

i'm saying: i should have smelled blood here, but i didn't. I understand why the move is good, but my question is "how do i smell this next time?"

EDIT: in other words, it seems like i could have thought "ok, he defends that square 3 times, i defend it 3 times, but my rook on d1 trumps his pieces, so i play d5" but would this be the correct way to think about it?

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 2, 2021

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

is this a compact chess notation?

yeah! i mean for you to copy paste it into https://lichess.org/editor and then click "analysis board"

EDIT: how about I give it to you like this from now on?

https://lichess.org/editor/r3k1r1/1pp2ppp/p1bqp3/6Q1/3P4/2N2P2/PPP3PP/2KR3R_w_q_-_6_17
https://lichess.org/editor/r3k1r1/1pp2ppp/p1bqp3/6Q1/3P4/2N2P2/PPP1P2P/2KR3R_w_q_-_6_17

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
here's another position where the rook's control of the c file seems to supercharge pushing c5 into a winning move!

again, white defends the square 3 times, black defends 3 times. And again, one of those defenders is this extremely good rook dominating the c file.

this move is easier for me to see, because the king is lined up, and i'm already looking for ways to use my rook to attack the king. But if you just look at the pawns, pushing c5 is inconceivable, because of white's bind on that square with the d and b pawns, and black's isolated c pawn looks pathetic -- when in fact it can win the game for black!

https://lichess.org/analysis/2r2rk1/p3bppp/bqp1p3/3n4/1P1P3P/P3PNB1/2QN1PP1/2KR3R_b_-_-_0_1

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
another missed opportunity to push a pawn. i should have played f4, but i blundered g3 instead, which loses immediately (except my opponent made a mistake later, so i lost for a different reason)

another winning move i would never have considered... and no rook in this one. so, still unsure how i can train my nose to sniff out this type of winning push.

https://lichess.org/analysis/3r2k1/ppb2p1p/6p1/2pPq3/2P4r/P4P1P/1P1QN1P1/3RR1K1_w_-_-_1_26

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So I've been back playing and learning chess for a month and a half now and I still don't get the thread title, what's PIPI

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

another missed opportunity to push a pawn. i should have played f4, but i blundered g3 instead, which loses immediately (except my opponent made a mistake later, so i lost for a different reason)

another winning move i would never have considered... and no rook in this one. so, still unsure how i can train my nose to sniff out this type of winning push.

https://lichess.org/analysis/3r2k1/ppb2p1p/6p1/2pPq3/2P4r/P4P1P/1P1QN1P1/3RR1K1_w_-_-_1_26

I think the key here is that the queen doesn't have anywhere to go after f4. It has to retreat to some useless square and give up control of the center.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Maugrim posted:

So I've been back playing and learning chess for a month and a half now and I still don't get the thread title, what's PIPI

https://kotaku.com/chess-tournament-winner-banned-says-opponent-was-doin-1845295980

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It also helps to look at how many pieces you have attacking a square; generally it goes the other way, you choose a pawn push to support then push it, but you have three pieces supporting it to their two if they capture it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fisting by many posted:

I think the key here is that the queen doesn't have anywhere to go after f4. It has to retreat to some useless square and give up control of the center.

It’s a defensive move, stopping Qh2+.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

It’s a defensive move, stopping Qh2+.

:facepalm: Didn't even see the battery

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Yeah I was about to say, that queen was going to gently caress you up in that position

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thanks Hand Knit and others for helping me develop my nose for pawn pushes last night! im gonna try to look for opportunities in my games later today

lol

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

Only 2 more games before I get an actual rating!

Won both of these for a starting chess.com rapid rating of 893 :toot:

And yeah finding out that "PIPI in your pampers" was not just the chess equivalent of the Navy Seal copypasta from some random person, but was from a GM as part of a high-level chess cheating scandal, was a treat.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

As I prepare to play OTB chess for the first time in eons, I have discovered that chess-db, which I relied upon for finding pgns of player's games, is dead. Does anyone know of any websites which provide the same thing?

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I have chessbase for android just for the huge online database access, it was only $10. I'm looking at a list of 181 of your games right now. Can't get more than one game at a time out as a pgn though, but if you are stuck for options...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah my goal is to avoid having to shell out for chessbase db, though it’s also probably time to return it to my phone.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Apparently you don't like 1. d4

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

https://www.chessgames.com/index.html
is another one I had bookmarked, but I dunno if it has the search you want

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I've had a chessgames account for year but it isn't actually great about collecting games, and so its database isn't really fit for looking up players you're actually gonna be playing.

e: And chessbase's big database (for a low low price of ~70 euro) does not appear to work with mac.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

How are you supposed to prep when you know your opponent by name, but not by lichess handle given that the majority of their activity has probably been online? For the last two years any changes or improvements a player has made to his or her repertoire has probably only been captured online.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Apsyrtes posted:

How are you supposed to prep when you know your opponent by name, but not by lichess handle given that the majority of their activity has probably been online? For the last two years any changes or improvements a player has made to his or her repertoire has probably only been captured online.

This isn't move-for-move stuff, this is "do I have to be ready to play against 1.c4 2.g3?" or "is there a reason to play either 1.c4 or 1.Nf3 over the other?"

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I see that now. I actually fake-prepped against you.

181 OTB games in Chessbase Online DB vs. over 11,000 games I got from lichess

I came to the same conclusions using either set, you are pretty consistent in what you like. And the repertoire you employ is quite small (maybe a lesson in that for us patzers)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Progression continues, here's a three move "puzzle" from one of my games, black to move.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Artelier posted:

Still steadily playing and steadily getting better. Today I'm happy with this game where I saw, on purpose, mate in 2 (if the opponent doesn't sac) from this position.

Course, this won't be possible if the opponent went to Kg8 instead of Kf6. I'll take it!

maybe you saw this otb or in analysis after the game, but just in case you didn't, Kg8 is also losing for black with a little tactic

Kg8, Rh8+, Kxh8 , Ng6+

as soon as the knight checks on e5 black is losing significant material and if they try to avoid it they end up going to the nice line you spotted

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Artelier posted:

Progression continues, here's a three move "puzzle" from one of my games, black to move.

1. Bxc2 Ka2 or Kh1 2. Bc1#? Wait no that doesn't work because of 2 ... Ba2

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 4, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I went back to the computer and apparently it's 3 move checkmate if opponent doesn't stall correctly, 4 move forced.

The way that happened in the game: Bc2 Ka2, Bc1 Ba8, Ra3.

Computer says that the King could have gone to A1, which allows Ba2 to block, but you just sac the Rook for the Bishop and then Ra3 again to win anyway.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
xD34THROW on chess.com if anyone still uses that? Today's puzzle was an interesting exchange of queens, but I feel like the opponent in chess.com puzzles is dumb sometimes.

(I say this with a sub-600 ELO though so...yeah.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This might be a strange question:. Has anyone used chess training to improve their memory? I never learned chess as a kid outside of the basic rules on the Windows 95 chess. I didn't bother picking it up in college because I have a terrible memory and thus could not imagine being able to learn openings, etc. Now I'm wondering if maybe that was a mistake as I am desperately old and mentally weak, only some of which was caused by being on SA too long :v:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I don't know about memory, you don't really memorize much in chess. But I'm sure it's beneficial for your mental capacities. If taking a different route home is good for your brain, then I'd be surprised focusing and calculating chess moves isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

To the extent that I'm familiar with the research on this, getting better at chess doesn't make you better at anything other than chess.