Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You get bonus rewards for the first 3 faction quests you complete per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There's something I can't quite figure out yet and I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I'm in the SFD guild which is currently located in Monarch's Bluffs but I started in First Light. I tried running to MB but there weren't any quests there so I had to run back to FL but its having me do a bunch of faction quests in an area which it doesn't seem to matter since our faction doesn't have control.

Will I eventually be able to move to MB or does it not really work that way? I'm not sure what doing Faction quests in an area you don't control or intend to control actually does. Also what is the point of doing the town board in an area you don't control either?

Beast British
Mar 12, 2006

Help yourself to some fethers but leave my fork alone.

Hakarne posted:

Hatchet loving owns.

This dude was full turtle with Sword/Shield and Life Staff. Lol nope sorry.

What spec tree are you running?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beast British posted:

All your points should always be Bezerk.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

There's something I can't quite figure out yet and I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I'm in the SFD guild which is currently located in Monarch's Bluffs but I started in First Light. I tried running to MB but there weren't any quests there so I had to run back to FL but its having me do a bunch of faction quests in an area which it doesn't seem to matter since our faction doesn't have control.

Will I eventually be able to move to MB or does it not really work that way? I'm not sure what doing Faction quests in an area you don't control or intend to control actually does. Also what is the point of doing the town board in an area you don't control either?

Do your main quest some more. You only need to do a single faction quest to move on in the main quest chain. Once you unlock talking to the hermit, you should also unlock everything else including missions in monarch bluffs. You'll know as side missions will show up in your town as well.

The faction promotion mission is a side mission. You do not need to complete it to advance. Hit j and just unpin it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Do your main quest some more. You only need to do a single faction quest to move on in the main quest chain. Once you unlock talking to the hermit, you should also unlock everything else including missions in monarch bluffs. You'll know as side missions will show up in your town as well.

The faction promotion mission is a side mission. You do not need to complete it to advance. Hit j and just unpin it.

Ok thanks I’ll keep plugging away at it then!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Beast British posted:

Definitely Berserker. Fill out everything for Berserk ASAP then grab the actives/other passives for flavor. Although I do like putting two points into throwing for Aimed Throw/Critical Throw. It gives you some range and crit throw also adds 5% crit to all your attacks. It takes some practice to aim the hatchet but it's fun and can do decent damage if you land headshots. Great for kiting!

Edit: Long hatchet throws are very satisfying

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 2, 2021

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Bezos finally came through couple prime skins, prime queue, next step- add prime auction house.

Lv1Magikarp
Aug 16, 2018

Pigbottom posted:

I played yesterday on one of the us goon servers from the eu (cz, ping around 130) and I had no troubles whatsoever. I really didn't feel much difference from when I played in the eu server.

Brill thanks might have to pop over when we get the option.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Level 20 now, and the PvE gameplay loop is getting frustrating very quickly. It's doing the same quests and going to the same locations over and over again, and then running back to your outpost to pick up the same faction quests again. I hope Amazon is working on more PvE quests. The PvE content really should have been designed with the idea that you are doing quests that take you from one area to the next and then move you to the next zone after that. But this is what happens when you pull a 180 on the complete redesign of the game a year ago.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Welp, the warp bots are out now so tradeskilling is about to be hosed.

I'm out.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
This would be a cool game if I was able to play if I decided to log in after noon.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Comrayn posted:

This would be a cool game if I was able to play if I decided to log in after noon.

:hmmyes:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Level 20 now, and the PvE gameplay loop is getting frustrating very quickly. It's doing the same quests and going to the same locations over and over again, and then running back to your outpost to pick up the same faction quests again. I hope Amazon is working on more PvE quests. The PvE content really should have been designed with the idea that you are doing quests that take you from one area to the next and then move you to the next zone after that. But this is what happens when you pull a 180 on the complete redesign of the game a year ago.

XP dives off a cliff around 20.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Musket and ice gauntlet seemed like the most interesting weapon types to me, how well do they do in PvP and do they pair well together?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Musket and ice gauntlet seemed like the most interesting weapon types to me, how well do they do in PvP and do they pair well together?

They're both very good in PvP but not at all together. Musket is good for griefing/structured PvP and ice gauntlet is just good at anything but it can't be paired with bow/musket.

edit: to be clear you *can* pair them but you will have an awful time

Phoix fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 2, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been really digging the fire staff but I’m really not sure what to pair it with. I guess maybe rapier?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been really digging the fire staff but I’m really not sure what to pair it with. I guess maybe rapier?

Rapier or ice gauntlet. Rapier for single-target shredding and even more mobility, ice gauntlet for full wizard mode.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Rapier or ice gauntlet. Rapier for single-target shredding and even more mobility, ice gauntlet for full wizard mode.

Ok thanks! I might just go ice gauntlet because shooting ice balls from your hand is pretty cool tbh

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Someone on the dev team thought this was extraordinarily clever and that's why I hate it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Someone on the dev team thought this was extraordinarily clever and that's why I hate it.

It is pretty cleaver

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Harrow posted:

This game really feels like it doesn't actually need the WoW-style PvE quest-based leveling experience.

In one of the alphas it was a pure PVP experience. Everyone hated it. I think it's successful because it's going to have something for everyone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

In one of the alphas it was a pure PVP experience. Everyone hated it. I think it's successful because it's going to have something for everyone.

I was thinking more like Runescape, really, not going to a full survival game-style PvP experience. Something more open-ended, only having quests where it actually matters and where they can be made fun and memorable, and the rest of the time being about exploring and skilling up however you feel like. A side effect of this is that players who just really want to focus on crafting and gathering don't really have to care about doing a bunch of combat or dungeon-focused quests if they don't feel like it, they can just gather and craft and trade.

So not so much "it should've been nothing but PvP" but instead just... it can have a PvE side without trying to have this on-rails questing experience or a traditional level system and might have felt better for it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Right now the market is so thoroughly messed up that it's basically just stacking cash. No one knows what anything is worth, so you have people selling items for 100 gold, and the material needed to make those items for...100 gold.

The biggest money sinks are going to be housing and market purchases of crafting mats, but it'd hard to buy and sell, so who knows?

This is theoretically correct economics (assuming you meant the sum of costs of all the materials equals the cost of final product) in a game where crafting is really fast, and not limited by daily cooldowns or similar.

In MMOs where you have to skillup crafting, it's actually very common for the relationship to get inverted so that the components for a Purple Sword cost much more than the Purple Sword is worth to players. This is because there are 200 crafters out there who need to each make 15 Purple Swords, and they don't want to vendor their Purple Swords because it means an even bigger loss, so they tend to undercut each other.

I think one of the bigger consumption sinks down the road is actually going to be the job board delivery quests, "Deliver 15 Common Health Potions". It's essentially spending gold directly on XP if you buy the stuff off the market.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

There's a couple of Aussies here, any of you keen to have one more tag along? I'm on Luggnagg as Lemuria isn't allowing new chars at the moment, but have a second slot free.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

I’m level 21 and am very disappointed that I have not yet found a “what’s up with all these big balls everywhere?” quest. I want to investigate some big balls.

Hey

O

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I, too, wish to investigate the large balls.

I wonder if vaccines are involved.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm probably not going to try to do any world PvP until closer to the level cap. Had a thoroughly unpleasant time of trying to kite someone ten levels higher than me around a fort to try and defend it while my faction stood around trying to get groups together to 40v1 him. All the dodging in the world can't save you from someone with five times your stats.

It's just kind of a pain to have people who could help you just stand around staring while you get beat to death because they didn't turn their flag on when they left down 30 minute ago.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 2, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder if it would of been better if you joined a faction at the start of the game and you were always flagged for pvp beyond the newbie shores or after level 20.

Or if they just did away with levels and made strength more gear-dependent with heavy death degradation of equipment when not killed in rapid succession or against much larger numbers of players, to enforce more crafting and material gathering and backup equipment.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 2, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wonder if it would of been better if you joined a faction at the start of the game and you were always flagged for pvp beyond the newbie shores or after level 20.

Honestly if they bumped up the XP gain to push people to flag it would help to just get everyone to flag, but ultimately a large part of the issue is that most people in the game are cowards. I've tried to do world pvp a few times and I've found that most folks are pathologically unable to try for an even fight, they just run around gathering people til they run out of slots in the parties and then finally take out the three guys trying to take a location, which already fell ten minutes ago. They get the place back, sure, but it's such a needlessly massive zerg that if they just tried to fight then it wouldn't have fallen in the first place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Got off work today and spent the next 8 hours upping my numbers. Game really hits the dopamine buttons

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Len posted:

Got off work today and spent the next 8 hours in a queue. Game really hits the dopamine buttons

:same:

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

enjoying the hell out of this game so far - leveling rapier and musket and it seems to work out fairly well in tandem. pvp is fun, but i notice it's hard to keep a full party focused since quests are randomized and everyone is gathering.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can you use two of the same weapons in the game with separate cooldowns for the skills or naw?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been loving fire staff + musket. You have basically no way to go toe to toe in a melee fight, but that dash move in the fire staff tree that can be talented to double its range is amazing for repositioning mid fight to get yourself in a better position to resume clicking on heads with the musket. The aoe nukes in the left side of the fire tree are also very good for general PVE content or PvP where you are fighting s large group on a choke. Musket itself is super powerful with powder burn and then just stacking damage passives. Too low level for it now, but powder burn + keenly jagged perk + the INT perk that gives +30% DOT duration seems wild.

Speaking of mobility weapons, does anyone know for sure what the best is? Like in terms of “gets you the furthest over time”. It seems like rapier, fire staff, and great axe all have long range dashes, I’m not sure which one has the best range / lowest cooldown though. Thinking of situations in PvP where the primary goal is to be able to outpace someone, either to chase or escape.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 2, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

causticBeet posted:

I’ve been loving fire staff + musket. You have basically no way to go toe to toe in a melee fight, but that dash move in the fire staff tree that can be talented to double its range is amazing for repositioning mid fight to get yourself in a better position to resume clicking on heads with the musket. The aoe nukes in the left side of the fire tree are also very good for general PVE content or PvP where you are fighting s large group on a choke. Musket itself is super powerful with powder burn and then just stacking damage passives. Too low level for it now, but powder burn + keenly jagged perk + the INT perk that gives +30% DOT duration seems wild.

Speaking of mobility weapons, does anyone know for sure what the best is? Like in terms of “gets you the furthest over time”. It seems like rapier, fire staff, and great axe all have long range dashes, I’m not sure which one has the best range / lowest cooldown though. Thinking of situations in PvP where the primary goal is to be able to outpace someone, either to chase or escape.

Yeah, I like fire staff with musket in a pvp setting. Just because I see musket as more of a high damage single target weapon. So you'd need some kind of aoe to complement it. Which fire staff offers very well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I kind of hate that there are Ice Gauntlets.....and then Fire Staves and Life Staves. They are so aesthetically boring in comparison. Like get a little interesting with it, drat. Give them obsidian fire daggers or holy icons or some poo poo, not 20 different flavors of "Staff".

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Looks like they temporarly closed the server because it's full

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1444092398343237633

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Are any Asia Pacific Goons playing?
I'm on Duakh (Marauders), would be interested in playing with other Goons.
I'm not one to make a company and run things, so I'd prefer to be a poo poo-kicker with zero responsibilities.
Happy to make a new character on another server (APAC) if there is a Goon company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Valar Morghulis posted:

Are any Asia Pacific Goons playing?
I'm on Duakh (Marauders), would be interested in playing with other Goons.
I'm not one to make a company and run things, so I'd prefer to be a poo poo-kicker with zero responsibilities.
Happy to make a new character on another server (APAC) if there is a Goon company.

I wouldn't mind kicking cans around somewhere with some fellow APAC goons. I'm a Marauder on Luggnagg, but happy to join another server, too.