Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oxxidation posted:

anyone can. it's only boss monsters who have souls hardy enough to possibly be absorbed by a human afterwards, since they persist for a few seconds after death while all other monsters' souls crumble instantly

So could a human use a living monster to get through the barrier? Like, just grab Shyren or somebody and both go through together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I gotta be honest: I'm not totally against Asgore's human killing policy.

His main mistake was just waiting for random humans to wander on in instead of going out to find souls in the outside world after getting the first one (which Toriel points out). If he had done that he wouldn't even have even needed to kill more humans, he could have just borrowed the souls of humans who died of natural causes. It probably would have taken way longer than just killing six jerks, but it's an option if you're the kind of person who wants to do things "morally" or whatever.

He did that because he didn't actually want to go through with his plan of "wage war on the humans once we reach the surface", he was basically hoping no more humans would ever fall down into the Undergound.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

So could a human use a living monster to get through the barrier? Like, just grab Shyren or somebody and both go through together?

probably not, since that'd make the game's central dilemma very silly. you need someone who's packing both a monster and a human soul inside of them

as an unlock condition it's either amazingly short-sighted or amazingly cruel. maybe both!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Considering even the biggest baddest monster under the mountain can't take a literal child in a fight, probably wasn't much need to seal them away in the first place

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
How'd they even have a war in the first place, considering that a grouchy child would of torn through any monster army like butter?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also assuming that monsters in Deltarune are a little sturdier than the ones in Undertale or at least operate under different rules (otherwise Susie would probably be dust by now).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vagabong posted:

How'd they even have a war in the first place, considering that a grouchy child would of torn through any monster army like butter?

by all accounts it was only a "war" in the loosest sense of the word, since humankind probably didn't suffer a single casualty. if they had then the tide would have turned very quickly

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vagabong posted:

Considering the Monsters lost and were sealed underground by human sages, I think, probably not much of one. I can imagine Monsters managing a few kills, humans don’t necessarily have the greatest protection against magic if they’re unprepared for all the ways Monsters can attack their souls. Imagine someone having to deal with Asgore without the practice of an entire game.

Gerson at the very least I think is implied to have fought in the war and been successful enough to be a war hero.

Also Monster+Human Soul isn’t even a recipe for success, super powerful or not Asriel could still die from taking damage (specifically getting pitchfork stabbed I think), so whilst it might be extremely devastating the combo is likely to not last long against weaponry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering one of the primary methods of combat in both games is "don't get hit" it's also entirely possible the monsters just are REALLY GOOD at tohou minigames.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's dialogue about that I'm sure, the war being really one sided and sealing up the monsters is a hell of a internment camp situation.

Like humanity was bored with killing monsters and just wanted them out of the way.
Or maybe the people who locked the monsters away thought they were doing them a favor.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Considering one of the primary methods of combat in both games is "don't get hit" it's also entirely possible the monsters just are REALLY GOOD at tohou minigames.

Monsters have a real hard time at "don't get hit" though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Considering the Monsters lost and were sealed underground by human sages, I think, probably not much of one. I can imagine Monsters managing a few kills, humans don’t necessarily have the greatest protection against magic if they’re unprepared for all the ways Monsters can attack their souls. Imagine someone having to deal with Asgore without the practice of an entire game.

Gerson at the very least I think is implied to have fought in the war and been successful enough to be a war hero.

Also Monster+Human Soul isn’t even a recipe for success, super powerful or not Asriel could still die from taking damage (specifically getting pitchfork stabbed I think), so whilst it might be extremely devastating the combo is likely to not last long against weaponry.

gerson is a war hero because he didn't die. that's literally described as his outstanding accomplishment. nothing about what he did to the other side, just the fact that he fought in the war without getting dusted was enough for people like undyne to tout him as a legend

asriel's circumstances were unique because he took a soul but then stood and let humans whale on him afterward without fighting back. in an actual combat situation where the monster's willing to defend itself, it's a very short jump from one human soul acquired to seven, and then you're dealing with an opponent that can create black holes by wishing for it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCS-xZnlxIU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Flesnolk posted:

Considering even the biggest baddest monster under the mountain can't take a literal child in a fight, probably wasn't much need to seal them away in the first place

In fact the history carvings in waterfall say almost exactly that. Humans got paranoid that there could hypothetically be a dangerous monster and thrashed them all almost effortlessly.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

imho Asrial really hosed up both practically speaking and morally speaking by not letting Chara just use the soul power to exterminate humans to the last.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What if a human fell down and used the Metamoran Fusion Dance technique with a monster?

Could they get through the barrier together that way? Also, shout outs to that barrier too, absolutely one way of circumventing it and no substitutes allowed. Gaster tried something to juke it and he doesn't even exist in game anymore.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if humans... are the REAL monsters..?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I thought only humans with sufficient determination could hurt monsters, or is that wrong?

Acerbatus posted:

:aaaaa:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acerbatus posted:

What if monsters...are the real HUMANS!?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm pretty sure the literal monsters are the real monsters; it's in their name, guys.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Neuronyx posted:

I thought only humans with sufficient determination could hurt monsters, or is that wrong?

:aaaaa:

Monsters are made of magic, so the amount of damage you do them is based on your willingness to hurt them in the first place. Which is the explanation for Level Of ViolencE being increased by EXecution Points. The more you learn to hurt others the easier it becomes to distance yourself emotionally and your intent to harm increases.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Murderous intent is pretty much enough to kill monsters, which is how you're able to kill them even though you're just a kid with a stick, and one-shot bosses on the bad times route.

Incidentally, if your attack stat is high enough, weaker monsters will be able to be insta-spared. (Which is why hacking in the Real Knife early basically makes most monsters spareable from the get-go with that massive 99 attack.)

Course in Deltarune a bunch of rules have changed. Monsters don't seem to be able to use magic naturally there. Nothing really suggests physical biology has changed since fallen down still seems to be an existing concept and graveyards don't mention bodies, but Susie would have been annihilated by the King if the same rules about murderous intent worked here.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

iirc it's mentioned at some point in undertale that a key difference between human souls and monster souls is that human souls can exist outside of a human's body, while monster souls pretty much instantly evaporate

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Murderous intent is pretty much enough to kill monsters, which is how you're able to kill them even though you're just a kid with a stick, and one-shot bosses on the bad times route.

Incidentally, if your attack stat is high enough, weaker monsters will be able to be insta-spared. (Which is why hacking in the Real Knife early basically makes most monsters spareable from the get-go with that massive 99 attack.)

Course in Deltarune a bunch of rules have changed. Monsters don't seem to be able to use magic naturally there. Nothing really suggests physical biology has changed since fallen down still seems to be an existing concept and graveyards don't mention bodies, but Susie would have been annihilated by the King if the same rules about murderous intent worked here.

There is also the difference between Lightners and Darkners to consider for this on top of everything else being different from Undertale and Deltarune.

Anyway, this might be the perfect environment for Akuma. If he fell down here, he might actually succeed in killing someone.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ikanreed posted:

In fact the history carvings in waterfall say almost exactly that. Humans got paranoid that there could hypothetically be a dangerous monster and thrashed them all almost effortlessly.

Undertale did go a bit too hard on making the monsters harmless and helpless, in retrospect. I do think they work differently in Deltarune, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I dunno. Unless you're at such a level of hyperviolent that you're literally hunting down more monsters to kill, you probably won't be one-shotting the cast. Humans have the upper hand by far in this analogy, but it isn't like the monsters are dropping dead at a glance.

You know, now I'm curious. Assuming you kill all monsters you encounter, but never trigger the Genocide rum or stop to grind, what would your LV end up at? I figure that'd be the closest analogy for your average human participant in a human-monster war.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Where do you find the various human items in the game? It does seem implied that not all of them necessarily made it anywhere near Asgore. Hell, maybe at least one didn't even make it to Toriel's door.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where do you find the various human items in the game? It does seem implied that not all of them necessarily made it anywhere near Asgore. Hell, maybe at least one didn't even make it to Toriel's door.

Faded Ribbon + Toy Knife: Ruins
Manly Bandanna + Tough Glove: Snowdin
Old Tutu + Ballet Shows: Waterfall
Cloudy Glasses + Torn Notebook: Gerson
Stained Apron + Burnt Pan: Hotland
Cowboy Hat + Empty Gun: Bratty and Catty

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I do think it should mean something that the one item that is an actual weapon is the one closest to the end of the game. I imagine murderous intent channeled into bullets would be pretty effective.

"HOW DO -YOU- LIKE IT?!" - Sheriff :blastu:

EDIT: Why the gently caress do I keep saying it was a sheriff ignore me

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Going to Mt Ebbot, maybe only had one bullet.

I mean, I think you'd hear about the human that came into the underground and started shooting monsters.

e;The fandom's reaction to Spamton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReLMPKhhRMs

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 2, 2021

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Bee posted:

You know, now I'm curious. Assuming you kill all monsters you encounter, but never trigger the Genocide rum or stop to grind, what would your LV end up at? I figure that'd be the closest analogy for your average human participant in a human-monster war.

Around LV13, I think? The CORE monsters actually make up an overwhelming majority of your EXP available, so it can vary depending on how you get through there. The highest you can get on a neutral run is LV17, by the way. LV18 is impossible to achieve under any circumstances, and LV19-20 are Geno-exclusive.

Neuronyx posted:

I do think it should mean something that the one item that is an actual weapon is the one closest to the end of the game. I imagine murderous intent channeled into bullets would be pretty effective.

"HOW DO -YOU- LIKE IT?!" - Sheriff :blastu:

EDIT: Why the gently caress do I keep saying it was a sheriff ignore me

Presumably literal bullets wouldn't actually do anything at all to monsters. You're only harming them by channeling your emotions into a physical strike, after all. so pistol-whipping is actually mandatory :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
for your appraisal, here's jerma basically just doing his mr. green voice for spamton and nailing it

e: also,
https://twitter.com/MrMagicMan__/status/1444179507905171459

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Presumably literal bullets wouldn't actually do anything at all to monsters. You're only harming them by channeling your emotions into a physical strike, after all. so pistol-whipping is actually mandatory :v:

Think I posted it already but IMO a human wanting to kill a monster could raise up a gun and yell Bang! and deal damage.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

if accurate, monsters could actually rack up a pretty decent bodycount on a human military (at least until someone realizes increasingly bigger guns are not the answer)

small edit: I don't necessarily agree with the theory, but it's funny to think about

incidentally I always suspected this is why the military couldn't stop monsters in Power Rangers--immune to ballistics and traditional ordnance, but susceptible to jump kicks and attitude

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Spamton is trans and here's the proof:
- wants a better body
- is in a long distance relationship
- lives in a garbage can (I live in poland)
- big shot obviously refers to testosterone
- the glasses

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

So, I was talking to a friend of mine, and they dropped some knowledge on me about the significance of the year 1997 with regards to Spamton. And it has nothing to do with Asriel's birthday:

My friend posted:

1997 - First SMTP hijacking. Simple Mail transfer Protocol (SMTP) is a sender push technology that delivered all messages without any sender requirement to provide an authentic return address.

1997 - First Relay hijacking. Allows third-party relay of e-mail messages by processing email that is neither for nor from a local user, an open relay makes it possible for an unscrupulous sender to route large volumes of spam using network resources from unsuspecting providers

"Around 1997, a company named Cyber Promotions (a/k/a Cyberpromo) was the first to start spamming Internet users on a massive scale. Cyberpromo first did this from their own mail servers, relying on their ISP's unwillingness to disconnect them. Within a short time, however, system administrators across the world started blocking email from the IP address ranges used by Cyberpromo."

"CompuServe Inc. v. Cyber Promotions, Inc. was a ruling by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio in 1997 that set an early precedent for granting online service providers the right to prevent commercial enterprises from sending unsolicited email advertising - also known as spam - to its subscribers."

maybe 1997 has something to do with spam and computers, guys?

since we're in an Internet city-world full of advertisements? Dealing with a dude names Spamton G. Spamton???

My friend posted:

dudes, it's the year spam was invented

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Just finished reading the entire thread over a couple days since I played Chapter 1 at launch but never sought out this thread

And congrats to this prophet

We're going to turn Noelle into a homicidal maniac.:ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just as a aside on the 'monsters suck at fighting lol' it is stated that killing intent is a big factor in how much a human can cause harm, but reverse is true too. If a monster doesn't want to fight it has no defense and dies easier.

It's not hard to imagine Asgore or other monsters being a incredible force in a hypothetical war while still being too weak to do anything in UT. It's why the longer some fights go on in most cases you start doing more damage- see Toriel's sudden 'critical hit'

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It’s possible that this phenomenon works in the reverse when it comes to fear. Maybe a terrified human becomes more susceptible to monster attacks that target their very soul, and only after humans saw that monsters can be beaten did the war start to become one-sided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

If anyone's interested, Laurentheflute is streaming the second chapter again.