Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
to me the biggest red flag is that you're doing it at your desk instead of like, on a comfy couch somewhere

but lmao if you're hourly and putting it on your timesheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Joe Chip posted:

i actually didn’t know std::function wasn’t a zero cost abstraction of function pointers. thanks! :tipshat:
there is some irony to the fact that you were defending c++ std::functions as being just as simple to use and understand as a single go 'defer' statement yet still learnt something new about c++ std::functions over the course of a few SA forum posts

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

cinci zoo sniper posted:

when is it ever not a bad look?

this or is there some cultural norm that I missed?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Unless you're coding for some 90 hour/week Japanese hellcorp, in which case enjoy your nap and god help you

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yes, he's a 1099.
Sure let's add misclassification of employees as contractors while we're at it, why not

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Sagacity posted:

there is some irony to the fact that you were defending c++ std::functions as being just as simple to use and understand as a single go 'defer' statement yet still learnt something new about c++ std::functions over the course of a few SA forum posts

that's why i'm in the terrible programming thread

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
i like c++ but i'd never want to work with it professionally again and for the same reason: it has a million little tricks and optimizations and edge cases so it's fun to work with for toy projects but large c++ projects with a lot of devs are a nightmare because everyone knows different tricks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

Sure let's add misclassification of employees as contractors while we're at it, why not

sorry, I use 1099 as a generic term for contractor. They are W2 that go through a contracting company.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jabor posted:

to me the biggest red flag is that you're doing it at your desk instead of like, on a comfy couch somewhere

okay that's fair

Sagacity posted:

until pretty recently go defer had a pretty massive performance penalty compared to doing the same thing without defer (for some reason it used a heap-allocated stack). it's fixed now, but for a long time if using a pointless std::function was actually a problem then using defer would have been a much bigger problem.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

when is it ever not a bad look?

you gotta get to private office w/ non-glass walls level before this becomes acceptable.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jabor posted:

but lmao if you're hourly and putting it on your timesheets

king poo poo

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Joe Chip posted:

i actually didn’t know std::function wasn’t a zero cost abstraction of function pointers. thanks! :tipshat:

Type erasure is always costly :v:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Joe Chip posted:

large c++ projects with a lot of devs are a nightmare because everyone knows different tricks
Currently I'm having a torrid love affair with structured bindings. :love:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Sagacity posted:

one thing i've noticed about c++ is that every time someone makes a concrete statement about it there's like 5 followup posts going "well actually ...." because the language is a byzantine mess of features piled onto features built on a foundation of undefined behaviour

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Found a real-life guy arguing that the only proper language to use on embedded Linux products is C or C++. He freely admits that his reasoning is based on his experience in the '90s.

GO, Rust, Python, Java? NO SIR, CAN'T HAVE THOSE. WE HAVE TO SAVE (checks notes) 50c of BOM on a $70,000 product!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

convince him to settle on cython as a middle ground between python and c/c++, and then just never use any of the cython poo poo

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 1, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Found a real-life guy arguing that the only proper language to use on embedded Linux products is C or C++. He freely admits that his reasoning is based on his experience in the '90s.

GO, Rust, Python, Java? NO SIR, CAN'T HAVE THOSE. WE HAVE TO SAVE (checks notes) 50c of BOM on a $70,000 product!
If it wasn't for the word "linux" in there, there would probably be a better case to be made.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

12 rats tied together posted:

convince him to settle on cython as a middle ground between python and c/c++, and then just never use any of the cython poo poo

He called Python "new and shiny." It's 30 years old.
He also claims that enforcing pep8 makes code less maintainable for ~*~reasons~*~

Edit*

He said, "Let me know when someone writes a video driver and graphics engine in python that fully utilizes the hardware."

lmao. I think he's trolling at this point. At no point have any of us advocated for using Python for literally everything.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I'm an 40+ yo dev, I spent decades in the C/C++ mines on very small to pretty big machines because that was the environment for that sector (we did use python from time-to-time appropriately) and I have never been more loving happy to work on modern (mature) languages than I have in forever when I changed career paths. It's *FUN* to see what other stuff is out there, where you can pain points solved, where and how and why other langs can fall short, how to carry some ideas around to other langs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
do people use pypy for python webshit yet

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I mean, he's right though. You shouldn't be using Python on embedded stuff.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

oh thank god I found this thread

Go is fine and I kind of enjoy it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Skim Milk posted:

oh thank god I found this thread

Go is fine and I kind of enjoy it

contradicting statements, op

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
if it’s embedded but big enough to run a linux it’s big enough to run some size focused dialect of python

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DrPossum posted:

where you can pain points solved

one of the big pains with c and c++ that doesn't get appreciated enough in other languages is dependency management

like there's bad and frustrating ones out there but drat if even the lousy ones don't beat c/c++'s 'lmao'

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Presto posted:

I mean, he's right though. You shouldn't be using Python on embedded stuff.

incorrect.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

if youre going to run a full linux os on an embedded thing, you might as well run python too, since most of the linux distros are unusable without it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they're also unusable with it though

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Achmed Jones posted:

they're also unusable with it though
2022 is the year of Linux on the server

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i apologize for the derail, the programming language thread is > here <

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yospos is all one thread. lets talk about pittsburgh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: tp

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

your other sity, pittsburgh, ought-to perish

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what is the pittsburgh bracket style

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
go is the pittsburgh of programming languages

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Presto posted:

Currently I'm having a torrid love affair with structured bindings. :love:

Wait till you find out that they don't really work with lambdas

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Xarn posted:

Wait till you find out that they don't really work with lambdas
That's OK I don't use lambdas.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ahh that fresh smell of python dependency management, when you have to install 15gb of c++ build tools poo poo on windows to install a single package

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol I use a grown up os. Fedora. it comes with Python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Presto posted:

That's OK I don't use lambdas.

me writing lambdas: gently caress yes! Yes! Haha!
me reading the lambdas I wrote: well this loving sucks what the gently caress