Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Slapshot sequel

Oh man Slapshot rules so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

deoju posted:

I, Tonya was great. One of my top 10 movies of the last 5 years.

I got a little tired of seeing Margot Robbie’s face being smashed through yet another glass picture frame on the wall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I got a little tired of seeing Margot Robbie’s face being smashed through yet another glass picture frame on the wall.

Watch I, Tonya for Allison Janney's performance. loving perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOvqVFcIrM

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A timeless classic.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There's some gross homophobia in there, and a smattering of misogyny but I can't help but love it. It's so quotable.

I only remember that happening once. I'm I wrong about that?

Tangentially, in the shots where it's really Robbie skating she's actually natural, no awkward cuts from a body double. I was expecting her to be sloppy as hell considering she's Australian, and they've got like 4 skating rinks in the whole country. I've read she likes to do her own stunts, so I bet she took lessons at some point. In Birds of Prey she roller skates and you can see she has a good stride.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Allison Janey is a treasure. I'd pay to watch her read the back of a bottle of shampoo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

deoju posted:

Tangentially, in the shots where it's really Robbie skating she's actually natural, no awkward cuts from a body double. I was expecting her to be sloppy as hell considering she's Australian, and they've got like 4 skating rinks in the whole country. I've read she likes to do her own stunts, so I bet she took lessons at some point. In Birds of Prey she roller skates and you can see she has a good stride.
Robbie had done a little iceskating but she had to do 4 hours of training 5 days a week for 4 months for 'I, Tonya' while she was also producing the film. The skating was pretty brutal and at one point she crashed so bad that she herniated a disk in her neck but the shooting schedule was so tight she just went "Shoot me up with steroids so I can get back on set, I'll get it fixed after we wrap", she's a mensch. Also she didn't even know it was based on a true story when she first read the script, she was just a baby when it happened so she had to google it. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98TyMVrh8sQ&t=1165s

The scriptwriter wrote the role with Janney in mind and insisted she get hired or the deal was off. He'd written a bunch of characters with her in mind in previous scripts but they'd always given the roles to other people so this time he put his foot down.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Oct 3, 2021

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Toe pick!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I Tonya is the To Die For of the 3010s

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha too good to fix.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hmm, Starsky has a thing about ice rinks? There’s one in The Running Man too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The whole movie is completely unsubtle but there is a small dialog thing in Death Becomes Her that I love. Towards the end, when Bruce Willis is offered the potion of eternal life, the woman offering it uses a faulty metaphor - to Meryl Streep her spiel is all "gently caress the rules of nature you are better than them!" but to Bruce she phrases his career and this potential decision as "You are Don Quixote, tilting at life's windmills." It's fitting because he's the only one who doesn't take it, realising the futility of eternal life. He recognises that trying to avoid death is Quixotic and decides not to, instead fully embracing what is left of his existence, doing as much with his remaining 40 years as he can, while Meryl and goldie Hawn are trapped in a permanent limbo literally having to cover each others asses for eternity.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Oh, I agree, she's incredible.

deoju posted:

I only remember that happening once. I'm I wrong about that?

It happened at least three times because my spouse and I turned to each other simultaneously and remarked upon it. I think it was when she gets her head pushed into yet another one and talks to the camera right after.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

BioEnchanted posted:

The whole movie is completely unsubtle but there is a small dialog thing in Death Becomes Her that I love. Towards the end, when Bruce Willis is offered the potion of eternal life, the woman offering it uses a faulty metaphor - to Meryl Streep her spiel is all "gently caress the rules of nature you are better than them!" but to Bruce she phrases his career and this potential decision as "You are Don Quixote, tilting at life's windmills." It's fitting because he's the only one who doesn't take it, realising the futility of eternal life. He recognises that trying to avoid death is Quixotic and decides not to, instead fully embracing what is left of his existence, doing as much with his remaining 40 years as he can, while Meryl and goldie Hawn are trapped in a permanent limbo literally having to cover each others asses for eternity.

It was only last year that I realised that the title was a play on words. Like. Something looking becoming on someone.

I'm a fuckin idiot

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Flint_Paper posted:

It was only last year that I realised that the title was a play on words. Like. Something looking becoming on someone.

I'm a fuckin idiot

You aren't alone, don't feel bad.

Great campy movie, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm a fuckin idiot

Holy poo poo

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

It happened at least three times because my spouse and I turned to each other simultaneously and remarked upon it. I think it was when she gets her head pushed into yet another one and talks to the camera right after.

It's also a really sour note in the film if you know a little about Harding's accounts of truly being terrified of her husband. The movie is interesting and very well-made and acted, but the glib tone that the movie puts on their relationship (and then doesn't really interrogate) rankled me as someone who has known abused people and seen them put on that same glibness as a defense mechanism.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

I'm a fuckin idiot

I... that's the only way to read the title straight. The other way is tortured. Like "a winner is you" or "i am become death"?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that’s what I thought it was lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
To be fair "Death becomes him/her" is a super oldfashioned phrase. John Ford used it in his 1633 play "'Tis Pity She's a Whore"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mescal posted:

I... that's the only way to read the title straight.

It’s a time honoured tradition in this thread, occasionally people think a thing was subtle but in fact it was just a thing they didn’t understand until later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite transition in the whole movie is towards the end where Meryl and Goldie have let Bruce slip through their fingers and he has now completely escaped them, and they initially are a little giddy at the idea of having to rely on each other (spoilering because it's a movie that many people haven't seen):

Meryl: It's not so bad, I'll paint your rear end, and then in return you can paint mine.
Goldie, starting to giggle: "Who ever thought it would turn out this way? Hehe, you and me..."
M: Spraying each other's asses...Haha
G: FOREVER. Heh....
G+M, suddenly realising: -_-

TITLE CARD: 37 Years Later

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The bit where she stands up out of the pool with the shotgun blast all the way through her guts is still an all-time what the gently caress moment.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Memento posted:

The bit where she stands up out of the pool with the shotgun blast all the way through her guts is still an all-time what the gently caress moment.

It's just an altogether fun movie. The early CG really doesn't stand out and young Bruce is just so cowered all the time.

He was really great in Die Hard 3 and Pulp Fiction where he's blurring the line between being a hard-rear end and trapped by circumstances and being a real guy with a sloppy tie.

Basically what I'm saying is he had range. Now he just makes movies like he owes money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RmBv6iaBRU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To be fair "Death becomes him/her" is a super oldfashioned phrase. John Ford used it in his 1633 play "'Tis Pity She's a Whore"

NOT a fake play

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I have watched that movie at least a half dozen times. I didn't enjoy it even a single time. I have no idea why I watched it so many times.

I guess it's actually not *too* bad but it ain't good either. I always associate it with "Listen to Me" which I kind of like. I think they were both on the same tape off of HBO. It's kind of like watching "Beaches", women like it, men don't. Not a bad movie, but not enjoyable.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've read some john ford plays and let me tell you, that guy wrote sins, not tragedies

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

mostlygray posted:

I have watched that movie at least a half dozen times. I didn't enjoy it even a single time. I have no idea why I watched it so many times.

I guess it's actually not *too* bad but it ain't good either. I always associate it with "Listen to Me" which I kind of like. I think they were both on the same tape off of HBO. It's kind of like watching "Beaches", women like it, men don't. Not a bad movie, but not enjoyable.

The weird, whiny, arrogant way the lady talks in that movie always trips me out. I had never heard of it until my wife mentioned it

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Now he just makes movies like he owes money.

Well he probably does.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was the last good movie Bruce Willis was in where he actually gave a poo poo? Looper?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What was the last good movie Bruce Willis was in where he actually gave a poo poo? Looper?

He was pretty good in Motherless Brooklyn, but he wasn't in it much.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I kept seeing ads for Motherless Brooklyn in NYC a few years ago and I assumed it was some sort of orphan charity or something.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Isn’t Bruce Willis also an rear end in a top hat that is terrible to work with? I thought I read he just shows up and punches the clock and wants everyone to gently caress off and not bother him even with production info or direction

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

That or 'Red' were the last movies I saw where he actually contributed a good performance to a decent movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

freeedr posted:

Isn’t Bruce Willis also an rear end in a top hat that is terrible to work with? I thought I read he just shows up and punches the clock and wants everyone to gently caress off and not bother him even with production info or direction

Supposedly he grills the directors about their technical knowledge of cameras and if they don’t impress him he’ll give them a terrible performance. This is why people like Wes Anderson have success with him.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Henchman of Santa posted:

Supposedly he grills the directors about their technical knowledge of cameras and if they don’t impress him he’ll give them a terrible performance. This is why people like Wes Anderson have success with him.

Oh yeah, Moonrise Kingdom was pretty okay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whoever worked on his album must not have known much about microphones.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

In the case of Cop Out with Kevin Smith he was right. Dude wanted to direct action films after spending fifteen years refusing to actually move the camera.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only story I’ve ever actually heard related to this was the Kevin Smith one, and even then Willis didn’t start grilling him out of nowhere, it was because Smith was talking to his DOP and didn’t know the name of the lens he wanted