Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Adding some actual signs to the thing would probably help people stop assuming it's some kind of weird split turn lane.

also lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

There also appears to be literally no arrows or signs anywhere so good job whatever idiots had that installed

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Heath posted:

Look I may be a simple country dipshit but what the gently caress is with the crooked separation lines

Thank you

poo poo should be illegal

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Indecisive posted:

There also appears to be literally no arrows or signs anywhere so good job whatever idiots had that installed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Woody

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s Matthew Mahogany

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Zil posted:

To be fair, not many driving tests or schools cover roundabouts, at least in Texas anyway. And being the backward state that we are, I can only assume Kentucky is the same way.

also lol.

I learnt how to drive in Canberra, Australia.

The test was all roundabouts. ALL ROUNDABOUTS.

e: some background for non Oz goons: https://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/curious-canberra/2016-12-05/is-canberra-the-roundabout-capital-of-australia/8075412

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You better have indicated as you were leaving the roundabout mate, or they'll loving have ya

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Infinitum posted:

You better have indicated as you were leaving the roundabout mate, or they'll loving have ya

'ken oath.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Capt.Whorebags posted:

e: some background for non Oz goons: https://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/curious-canberra/2016-12-05/is-canberra-the-roundabout-capital-of-australia/8075412

heh do your roundabouts go the other direction down there?

...oh

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Capt.Whorebags posted:

quote:

"Canberra has 406 roundabouts and 276 sets of traffic lights," he said.

I'm not sure if Texas even has 406 roundabouts in the entire state. :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd have said that's a fair estimate for the whole US.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Data Graham posted:

I'd have said that's a fair estimate for the whole US.

Speedbumps are way cheaper than roundabouts, and a lot quicker to make, so thats what we build.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

id have thought the cowboy fetish state would have a lot more "roundabouts"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Stexils posted:

id have thought the cowboy fetish state would have a lot more "roundabouts"

I don't get it. Please explain.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Atticus_1354 posted:

I don't get it. Please explain.

Not sure if you're sarcastic but "roundabout here is where Billy swung left into a Conoco rig. Smells like mesquite from there until Waco" is a really lovely colloquialism I just made up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's their name for a reacharound

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Foreign drivers are driven mad by the number of Stops we have.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

A wood stained cowboy?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Before I scrolled down I thought it was Orville Peck

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
In before Swindon’s magic roundabout.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

JamesOff posted:

In before Swindon’s magic roundabout.

If that's magic I'm goddamned David Copperfield.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A wood stained cowboy?

Like a pine stained cowboy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Kentucky discovers roundabouts
https://i.imgur.com/kdr5GrS.mp4

Amazing the few people who actually understand how roads work and the large majority who are just following the car in front.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FFT posted:

If it's got two, they'd be "cook" and "warm"

or is that the joke

"On" and "open"?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Amazing the few people who actually understand how roads work and the large majority who are just following the car in front.

Like at some point this seems like it becomes a situation where it seems like following the actually road rules might make things more dangerous.

If like everyone is using it wrong, and its sort of working, then trying to do the right thing might just gently caress things up. The mix of the two is worst situation.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Half the people leaving that roundabout are driving in the oncoming lane

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Infinitum posted:

Kentucky discovers roundabouts
https://i.imgur.com/kdr5GrS.mp4

I thought I knew how roundabouts worked but after watching this even I'm confused

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like also that apparently they have to put the weird central reservations in because just a normal road would obviously result in people randomly driving across lanes whenever they feel like it, rather than the current, orderly approach of most people driving in the oncoming lane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RatHat posted:

I thought I knew how roundabouts worked but after watching this even I'm confused

It's incredibly simple, you just give way to the left (assuming you're in america)

That's it, if there is someone on the roundabout or entering the roundabout to your left, you let them go, and then you turn right onto the roundabout and keep going around until you reach the exit you want. The whole point of them is that they are so simple to use that you don't need lights to control them.

But no apparently the solution is to just turn into the oncoming traffic and do something you would never normally do on any loving road ever.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Indecisive posted:

If you follow the rules of the road, roundabouts just work. There are no special tricks to using roundabouts other than not being a goddamned moron and driving into traffic.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

A roundabout is just a series of t-junctions onto a one-way road that happens to go in a small circle

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The confusing part about that video is that there are cars driving on both the correct and wrong side of the road before they even get to the roundabout.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It doesn't help when there's no sign or indication that it's a roundabout. On the ground coming up to it it just looks like a weird intersection with a lot of lanes going every which way.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the secret to using a roundabout is when you see one you have to stop driving and post about it on the internet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OwlFancier posted:

It's incredibly simple, you just give way to the left (assuming you're in america)

That's it, if there is someone on the roundabout or entering the roundabout to your left, you let them go, and then you turn right onto the roundabout and keep going around until you reach the exit you want. The whole point of them is that they are so simple to use that you don't need lights to control them.

Miami likes to put stop signs on the entrances instead of yield signs, which has the dual bonus of removing most of the advantage of a roundabout over a four way stop, while also causing most of the horrible, terrible, loving atrocious drivers around here to treat even a properly marked (that is, totally un-marked) roundabout as if it should also be treated as a four way stop.

gently caress Miami, is what I’m trying to say.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Miami likes to put stop signs on the entrances instead of yield signs, which has the dual bonus of removing most of the advantage of a roundabout over a four way stop, while also causing most of the horrible, terrible, loving atrocious drivers around here to treat even a properly marked (that is, totally un-marked) roundabout as if it should also be treated as a four way stop.

gently caress Miami, is what I’m trying to say.

I feel physical pain from knowing about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

https://twitter.com/mmalex/status/1444055784611012626?s=19