Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

If you don't play online with Hitman 2016 you're getting a very basic version of the game. No unlocks or mission mastery progression, which is a big reason why the game is so good. It's just not a good fit for the store, given their policies.

Remember when GOG rolled out FCK DRM a few years ago?

https://www.gog.com/news/the_fck_drm_initiative

GOG posted:

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The URL for that now just redirects to the front page (archived here) and fckdrm.com is also gone (archived here) - their contact email was iwantto@fckdrm.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I really don’t like using real world issues as a shield to defend GOG it makes you look like a self righteous child

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
GOG just released Blood Omen Legacy of Kain, one of my favourite games on the PS1. Too bad I just finished a playthrough of this one, but I bought it anyway just to show support for getting these games with weird rights issues onto the platform.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Arvid posted:

GOG just released Blood Omen Legacy of Kain, one of my favourite games on the PS1. Too bad I just finished a playthrough of this one, but I bought it anyway just to show support for getting these games with weird rights issues onto the platform.

I was never a big fan of Soul Reaver, but this is extremely my thing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whoa, I never thought I'd see the day. The LoK community has done some amazing patchwork to get the original running on Windows 10, I wonder how GoG's version measures up.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh thank Christ, as much as I loves owning it on PSN the load times are unbearable

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Blood Omen is so extremely good, also one of my favorite PS1 games, I'd do anything to just have his voice follow me around as I do day to day things doing his monologue banter stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

davidspackage posted:

Whoa, I never thought I'd see the day. The LoK community has done some amazing patchwork to get the original running on Windows 10, I wonder how GoG's version measures up.

Same here; very surprised. Saw a lot of this one on the PS1 back around '97 or so.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What games are part of the series? I only played Soul Reaver 1 back in the days on PC and was drat hard but I enjoyed it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Guillermus posted:

What games are part of the series? I only played Soul Reaver 1 back in the days on PC and was drat hard but I enjoyed it.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
One thing I learned from this series is that Vampires love pushing large cubes.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Im_Special posted:

One thing I learned from this series is that Vampires love pushing large cubes.

Gotta get swole somehow.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I wonder if this is just the fan patch applied to an install of the original Windows version of LoK (which I recently ripped an ISO of my own copy of).

Will probably still buy it on GOG however for convenience, and to track how long this game is. Took me forever to play through it back in '99 or whatever year that was.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

I wonder if this is just the fan patch applied to an install of the original Windows version of LoK (which I recently ripped an ISO of my own copy of).

Will probably still buy it on GOG however for convenience, and to track how long this game is. Took me forever to play through it back in '99 or whatever year that was.

I only played this on the PSX, but apparently the slowing issue on it is fixed in the GOG release. Not sure if it affected the original Windows release.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bruteman posted:

Cheers thank you!

And lol at Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and the 4th game being Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. That's some Star Wars Dark Forces then Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 vibes.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

glad that Blood Omen is finally out of limbo, its really important to the series and the trajectory it took

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bruteman posted:

Is it Blood Omen 2 that's like, an alt-world what-if thing and not 'really' related to the core story?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Very happy that Blood Omen is now GOG, I now own the complete series there! :cheers:

Hopefully this means the rumors of the Soul Reaver remaster are true

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is it Blood Omen 2 that's like, an alt-world what-if thing and not 'really' related to the core story?

The events of Blood Omen 2 only happen due to the events of Soul Reaver 2, even though the former is the past! :science:

It's kinda related yeah, but the story is the weakest of the franchise. You could skip it with no issues

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 30, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

The events of Blood Omen 2 only happen due to the events of Soul Reaver 2, even though the former is the past! :science:

Riiight yeah that was it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I only played this on the PSX, but apparently the slowing issue on it is fixed in the GOG release. Not sure if it affected the original Windows release.

Was it a slowing issue? Back when I played it I had a speeding-up issue where the game would play normally (or what I thought was normal) and randomly ramp up for a short while and return to normal. Would be funny if the sped up version was the speed the game was meant to be played.

Played the PSX copy through maybe the first boss at a friend's house ages ago and got he PC version in the bargain bin at CompUSA.

Blood Omen 2 has a rich history of suspicion that it was Chakan 2 for many reasons, including that no one in that game's world suspected foul play or magic was involved when one of the guys casually has a flaming head at all times. It's not bad, but I never wanted to touch it again after I beat it (still don't) and my vague memories still have it as a total outlier due to it having levels instead of an open world. That stated... I can't recall if Defiance was open world or not now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nah, Defiance was linear and more of a brawler with light platforming and puzzle elements. Had you switch between Kain and Raziel as playable characters.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's funny that for as engaging as the series is, the gameplay is often pretty bad. Blood Omen is probably the cleanest, being kind of a topdown Zelda-like.

edit: hm, first foray into GOG's Blood Omen isn't good. After starting a new game, once the dialogue finishes, Kain just started endlessly swinging his sword and wouldn't respond to other controls.

It looks like the page where I got the patch to make the PC CD version playable (and add 60fps, better quality cutscenes, and subtitles) has also been changed to accomodate the GOG version!
https://verokster.blogspot.com/2018/05/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-gl-wrapper.html

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 30, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

It's funny that for as engaging as the series is, the gameplay is often pretty bad. Blood Omen is probably the cleanest, being kind of a topdown Zelda-like.

edit: hm, first foray into GOG's Blood Omen isn't good. After starting a new game, once the dialogue finishes, Kain just started endlessly swinging his sword and wouldn't respond to other controls.

It looks like the page where I got the patch to make the PC CD version playable (and add 60fps, better quality cutscenes, and subtitles) has also been changed to accomodate the GOG version!
https://verokster.blogspot.com/2018/05/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-gl-wrapper.html

I just got Blood Omen because I wanted to have the complete series (finally), thanks for the link!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I must be lucky or the fan patch tweaked DirectX for me already (it was installed in February). GOG's Blood Omen ran fine for me all the way up to getting the bat travel. Made sure GOG didn't install to the same folder as the fan patched version.

But for subtitles and 60FPS I'll grab it again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

davidspackage posted:

Do you happen to have a secondary controller or a HOTAS hooked to your PC? I haven’t played this game, but this kind of input fuckery happens to me all the time if I leave my Xbox controller and joystick/throttle hooked up at the same time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

Do you happen to have a secondary controller or a HOTAS hooked to your PC? I haven’t played this game, but this kind of input fuckery happens to me all the time if I leave my Xbox controller and joystick/throttle hooked up at the same time.

Somewhat corollary to this, I was just trying to play what is quite possibly the most requested game on GOG that isn't on GOG yet, and it would not start because of my Logitech wireless headset. As soon as I unplugged the USB dongle, it started right up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

Somewhat corollary to this, I was just trying to play what is quite possibly the most requested game on GOG that isn't on GOG yet, and it would not start because of my Logitech wireless headset. As soon as I unplugged the USB dongle, it started right up.

MechWarrior 2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JustJeff88 posted:

No One Lives Forever?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JustJeff88 posted:

An actual complete version of CD-Man?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No One Lives Forever?

Yes, it was NOLF1. I think that it is the most requested game on GOG - and it probably wins the prize for most legal hell - but it could well be a mechwarrior game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just posting this review of Heroes of Might and Magic II:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

tl;dr some people are dumb and weird

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Lesbiotic was my favorite Mass Effect class.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
There is a LOT going on there

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

100% chance that guy had a nude mod installed that also forced only women but forgot about it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Brief summary of several hours in Blood Omen:

Did you press that button? You thought you did, but I bet you didn't. [Walks into button five more times] ... [Walks back to see locked door] ... [Walks into button two more times no differently and it clicks].
The hit boxes on items and switches are very, very tiny. The collision boxes on enemies are very, very big though so you can't just run by a lot of them.

It's jankier than I remember, but not by a whole lot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Yes, it was NOLF1. I think that it is the most requested game on GOG - and it probably wins the prize for most legal hell - but it could well be a mechwarrior game.

Lithtech loving hates Logitech

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Really? I never not had Logitech devices and drivers and I never had any issues with those games :shrug:

My main problem playing NOLF on a modern machine was the framerate making it impossible to aim because mouse aim was slowing down and speeding up randomly, I had to cap my fps to 60 but apparently there's even a tool for that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

orcane posted:

Really? I never not had Logitech devices and drivers and I never had any issues with those games :shrug:

Specifically, any sort of Logitech (in particular) HID would cause NOLF and FEAR1 at the very least to have Issues: https://steamcommunity.com/app/21090/discussions/0/343785380897389173/

I remember having no end of annoyance back when I had a G15 (rip)