Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Delta-Wye posted:

even the most 'pedestrian' of explanations is fascinating imho. i love the idea that people really haven't changed in thousands of years and we are still running a lot of the same 'wetware' for better or worse

It's true, the ancients were drawing crude dicks and laughing at them just like us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anthropologist: it's uh, another fertility idol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Anthropologist: it's uh, another fertility idol

it had ritual purposes

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bedpan posted:

it had ritual purposes

they only say that poo poo because excavating a "temple" looks way more impressive to a grant committee than excavating an ancient hot dog stand :capitalism:. i would hope most archaeologists are well aware that most of the small structures and items they designate as "unknown purpose, probably for some religious thing" are just mundane objects

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone who wants to try being paralyzed in their sleep, try asking to experience it before you go to sleep.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Riot Bimbo posted:

lmao

i ain't getting into it, but it's just one experience among many that have That Quality, and I definitely was never in a position to ask That One his thoughts. Going back to the places that sound a lot like Merkavah stuff, is way too scary of a thought. I've never felt as terrified as I did in those moments. Anyway, I've got a translation of some of the relevant literature and this is how I'm basing my post's speculations. Some of my experiences match stuff talked about in the texts that are supposed to aid in the descent.

I know about the place and origin of this stuff, at least moreso than most people. I can 100% place the tradition in its time and place, fwiw.

What I'm saying, is that I personally have spent a big chunk of my adult life since abandoning atheism, wondering if I am dealing with a metaphysical experience more directly rooted in traditional Abrahamic faiths. That is to say, something where the God of Abraham is supreme and the source of good and light, or if I live in a gnostic-esque nightmare world dominated by Yaldabaoth/Error. I have experiences that suggest either might be the case.

the most rational read of it all that I have is that I'm getting religious experiences triggered by those parts of our brains that are capable of doing that, and I'm trying to understand it through whatever "lens" brings any clarity to what those moments of my life were, and I'd say the most success I've had is in the NT, Gnostic apocrypha, some of the older written Merkavah stuff, and a handful of hermetic things. These traditions all kind of have shared points of contact, so it doesn't really shock me that tons of it fit together when studied.

But anyway y'all, pray and meditate more and read old rear end mystical books if you wanna transcend your mortal flesh prison

i don't want to be dismissive, but this seems like the sort of situation Buddhism might be really good at clearing up. it might seem hostile to some of your core identity i guess, but it's more like you can let go of your attachment to God, and find the true God is still there afterwards. you have to do the letting go of essence part, but once you do there really isn't a difference between God/not God anymore and a lot of things clear up. we tend, for example, in the West, to assume that being is better than non-being. however, existing as nothingness is something God is quite capable of doing, and in many ways nothingness is better than being.

granted, there are many other paths that can be helpful. if the rational emphasis and/or zen style turn you off, you might find any number of other approaches.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
if desire is the root of all suffering, and it certainly seems so, then i desire to have no desire..

poo poo

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Going back to a discussion from a few weeks ago, a recent survey using the ALMA telescope found that 4/5 protoplanetary discs contained organic molecules that are precursors for life on earth. A lot of it is probably single celled organisms, but it's inevitable that life is pretty much everywhere. It also suggests that at least some ET life could be DNA-based.

https://www.leeds.ac.uk/news-science/news/article/4915/how-planets-may-be-seeded-with-the-chemicals-necessary-for-life

bedpan posted:

it had ritual purposes
These two women lived together and were buried together like a married couple. They must have been really good friends.

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Oct 1, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Going back to a discussion from a few weeks ago, a recent survey using the ALMA telescope found that 4/5 protoplanetary discs contained organic molecules that are precursors for life on earth. A lot of it is probably single celled organisms, but it's inevitable that life is pretty much everywhere. It also suggests that at least some ET life could be DNA-based.

https://www.leeds.ac.uk/news-science/news/article/4915/how-planets-may-be-seeded-with-the-chemicals-necessary-for-life

These two women lived together and were buried together like a married couple. They must have been really good friends.

Amazing how every indication we get of the actual numbers in the Drake Equation push the answer upwards. Of course, that just makes Fermi's Paradox more interesting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ffs for the last time, there is no paradox, we just aren't looking or able to see anything meaningful. The whole thing hinges on the scifi wank idea that if you can build Dyson spheres you inevitably will.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

GWBBQ posted:

is this thread aware that the interstellar medium and much of space in general in fact contains complex carbon molecules in the form of C60 arranged in buckyballs?

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/soccer-balls-in-space

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*peers into the ocean from the beach* hmm the numbers say it should be teeming with life, but I can't see evidence of even a single fish, how strange I'll call it the slavvy paradox

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GWBBQ posted:

This seems to come up a lot and in every culture for some reason

I remember reading some old thing translated in like 1800 or something about Cyrus the great or somebody & they were like "truly they embraced and kissed like REALLY GOOD FRIENDS YOU GUYS" :hmmyes:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hodgepodge posted:

is this thread aware that the interstellar medium and much of space in general in fact contains complex carbon molecules in the form of C60 arranged in buckyballs?

Balls are stored in the space

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

"a carbon ion can have a charge of anywhere from -4 to +4, depending on if it loses or gains electrons"

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Oct 1, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Total derail but I like how the super old cultures have like gilgamesh wearing makeup and openly weeping when he's sad and smooching bros when he's happy and stuff, it's v manly and valorous to have your culture heroes pulling this poo poo. Must have been the annunaki influence.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Balls are stored in the space

the balls are ufos chemtrails from burning fossil fuels as they fly through space

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can't trust any religion that puts a name on any paranormal phenomenon imo

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Log082 posted:

Amazing how every indication we get of the actual numbers in the Drake Equation push the answer upwards. Of course, that just makes Fermi's Paradox more interesting.

Here's a neat video that explores some aspects of the Fermi Paradox in an interesting way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3whaviTqqg

Basically, humanity is in the first 10% of civilizations that will ever exist in the universe because as civilizations survive through the eons they smother opportunities for new civilizations to exist.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

How do you kill an extra dimensional being

you bring it down to your dimension and beat it with experience

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pooky posted:

TBH if I was forced to make a guess on what they are it would be on space whales plus some extra-dimensional nonsense.

I'm almost certainly wrong though because even if you ignore all abduction/contact stories there are a lot of reports of UAPs having portholes or windows. Which obviously begs the question of why a space whale has window nipples or something.

you know how like some birds will have feather patterns and people say “oh it’s because it tricks their predator into thinking a bigger predator is nearby”?

it’s just a scale pattern to us lower life forms

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BeefThief posted:

Here's a neat video that explores some aspects of the Fermi Paradox in an interesting way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3whaviTqqg

Basically, humanity is in the first 10% of civilizations that will ever exist in the universe because as civilizations survive through the eons they smother opportunities for new civilizations to exist.

Nothing like conjecture piled on top of more conjecture for concluding that we're cool and special

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Hodgepodge posted:

have we considered that some birds may be yogis, or perhaps jewish mystics operating merkabah?

I can't find the post, but earlier someone recounted seeing a UAP with a ring of dead birds over a lake or cabin and afterwords their partner freaking out about it and demanding they sleep. This merkabah stuff seems very bird-with-bird-ring adjacent.

Pooky has issued a correction as of 01:42 on Oct 2, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

that was me. your title is dumb pooky.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Pooky posted:

I can't find the post, but earlier someone recounted seeing a UAP with a ring of dead birds over a lake or cabin and afterwords their partner freaking out about it and demanding they sleep. This merkabah stuff seems very bird-with-bird-ring adjacent.

sounds like perhaps a cherubim or ophanim

e: the ophanim are particularily associated with the merkabah, being the wheels of the chariot:

e: the source of these ideas, in particular, being ezekiel's vision of the chariot:

in the bottom left are the hayyoth, the four living creatures, once the highest of angels and associated with the four directions, forgotten by christianity except in the parallel form of the archangels.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Oct 2, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hodgepodge posted:

sounds like perhaps a cherubim or ophanim

e: the ophanim are particularily associated with the merkabah, being the wheels of the chariot:

e: the source of these ideas, in particular, being ezekiel's vision of the chariot:

in the bottom left are the hayyoth, the four living creatures, once the highest of angels and associated with the four directions, forgotten by christianity except in the parallel form of the archangels.

Man that book is some hosed up poo poo. My parents wouldn't let me bring other reading materials in for Sunday services so I just constantly read Ezekiel and Revelations because the ministers were so pedestrian and boring

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Man that book is some hosed up poo poo. My parents wouldn't let me bring other reading materials in for Sunday services so I just constantly read Ezekiel and Revelations because the ministers were so pedestrian and boring

you were in much good company there

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Bilirubin posted:

fortunately, i only had to attend church-style services for awhile at around six while staying with my aunt's family (their services are held in the homes of respected members of their faith). i was too young to appreciate the biblical stuff at all, but i appreciate the insight into the beliefs and way of living of that side of my family. (my mother broke from their church due to feeling a spiritual calling towards the new age movement and genuine engagement with people of different faiths, which lead me to have some positive experiences with Indian (Sikh primarily) people and some very close personal relationships and in general greater understanding and experience with local First Nations people than would otherwise have been possible).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nothing like conjecture piled on top of more conjecture for concluding that we're cool and special

I mean sure but conjecture on top of conjecture is like the soul of the thread

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Revelations owns, its just so clearly a gnarly loving trip that guy had from eating funny fungus in his cell

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just watched my first episode of Ancient Aliens. Are there any sites/whatever that filter out the crackpot stuff and leave the “well he’s got a point” bits?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!
we aren't "special" at all in any ultimate sense, although we have distinct value and cannot begin to respect other life until we manage to at least on the aggregate learn how to respect ourselves and others; it is rather that all that lives, and even that which doesn't, is holy. especially with inanimate things and things with limited awareness (ie, plants and equivalents), we may make use of them, and with proper respect this extends to animals to various degrees. but the fact that our respect towards even our own future while doing these things in the present and recent past has been gravely insufficient is at this moment quite clear.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean it's not called the marvel cinematic local system for a reason

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Hodgepodge posted:

I dont think we can even synthesis these? even though they are theorized to have all sorts of special properties

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Pontificating rear end posted:

I dont think we can even synthesis these? even though they are theorized to have all sorts of special properties

while C60 is named Buckminsterfullerene after the popular and beloved scientist who theorized it, recent developments have led to a practical method of creating soot which contains it and then extracting it:

quote:

In 1989 physicists Wolfgang Krätschmer, Konstantinos Fostiropoulos, and Donald R. Huffman observed unusual optical absorptions in thin films of carbon dust (soot). The soot had been generated by an arc-process between two graphite electrodes in a helium atmosphere where the electrode material evaporates and condenses forming soot in the quenching atmosphere. Among other features, the IR spectra of the soot showed four discrete bands in close agreement to those proposed for C60.[20][21]

Another paper on the characterization and verification of the molecular structure followed on in the same year (1990) from their thin film experiments, and detailed also the extraction of an evaporable as well as benzene soluble material from the arc-generated soot. This extract had TEM and X-ray crystal analysis consistent with arrays of spherical C60 molecules, approximately 1.0 nm in van der Waals diameter[22] as well as the expected molecular mass of 720 Da for C60 (and 840 Da for C70) in their mass spectra.[23] The method was simple and efficient to prepare the material in gram amounts per day (1990) which has boosted the fullerene research and is even today applied for the commercial production of fullerenes.

The discovery of practical routes to C60 led to the exploration of a new field of chemistry involving the study of fullerenes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

as is often (though not always the case) with me, this post is brought to you more by my curiosity and search engine technology than expertise

e: oh, i totally missed:

quote:

Buckminsterfullerene was first generated in 1984 by Eric Rohlfing, Donald Cox and Andrew Kaldor[12][13] using a laser to vaporize carbon in a supersonic helium beam. In 1985 their work was repeated by Harold Kroto, James R. Heath, Sean O'Brien, Robert Curl, and Richard Smalley at Rice University, who recognized the structure of C60 as buckminsterfullerene.[14] Kroto, Curl and Smalley were awarded the 1996 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for their roles in the discovery of buckminsterfullerene and the related class of molecules.

I guess Buckminster Fuller was more of a futurist whose ideas were influential amoung scientists and contained some actual practical work with parallels to the molecule. The actual molecule was theorized by [okay correction] others at an earlier point. Still looking up who named it, but I've probably revised this post enough times.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Oct 2, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Saucer Hovers posted:

me: are you the demiurge?

the demiurge: absolutely not

me: drat! back to the drawing board
lmao

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Egg Moron