Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

catfry posted:

That's Tsushima island right? the strait between South korea and Mainland Japan is 170 km, too far to see.

You could see it if there were three‐thousand‐metre mountains on either side of the strait.

The longest sightline ever photographed, from the surface of Earth, to the surface of Earth, is 443 km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Although there are no photographs, there are other sightlines that are longer.

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html#longlines

https://imgur.com/a/MPFYHOe

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm. I know Japan and Korea are next to each other, but I guess I also tend to underestimate just how close they are. I think it's because of Japan's history of isolationism, despite the occasional failed invasion and the eventual successful colonization attempt. People sometimes think of Japan as Asia's UK, but I don't think that's quite correct. Despite all their protestations of being special snowflakes (just like pretty much any other country outside of the continental core of Western Europe*), the Isles have been actively interacting and interchanging with the rest of Europe for thousands of years non-stop. You've had a mess of identifiable peoples migrating there until relatively recently; Celts, Romans, Angles/Saxons/Jutes, Scandinavians, Normans, Flemish/Dutch weavers/traders, Dutch/German royals, exiles settling in London and other big cities, and whatever the hell else. They're huge mongrels even by European standards, and that's not mentioning their global empire in the later centuries.

By contrast, Japan, or rather the myriad political entities that were present there, has always seemed more properly inward-looking. It doesn't seem like you had that same level of integration with mainland Asia, and it was probably partly geography (with China being somewhat far away), partly culture, and partly deliberate policy.

Once you get to the Norman kings with possessions on both sides of the channel or so (and definitely by the Early Modern when isolationism became a genuine policy in both Japan and Korea), Japan was definitely more isolated if you're comparing it to England -- but before that it's really not so cut and dry. Historical demographic studies indicate that something like a million migrants crossed from Korea to Japan during the first half of the first millennium (and that's after the Yayoi migrations; like 50-80% of Japanese ancestry is from peninsular neolithic farmers), and there were certainly many going the other way too. Gaya and Yamato, and then Baekje and Yamato, both had very close relations and constant interactions at both high and low levels of society, and while the official histories talk about constant hostility, archaeology implies Silla and Yamato were similarly entwined. Going to the more local level it's clear local clans on both sides of the straits probably had even more interaction (which couldn't be stopped by the states even if they'd wanted to), and then that's not even getting into the substantial piracy even after official state-level interactions soured (the Japanese pirates are notorious, but after Silla collapsed there was a significant spell of severe piracy from the peninsula too). Or more ambiguous archaeological evidence that implies even closer connections in a few instances.

Anyway it's exactly this kind of thing that makes me think my weird pedantry re: maps like that past one is actually kind of important. Japan actually really wasn't so much more isolated, it's just that our conception that it was (to the point some people like in that past map can plop it utterly divorced from both Korea and the rest of the Sinosphere and not notice what's wrong with that) means that these historical connections mostly go unnoticed unless you're weirdly obsessed with the subject like me and actively try to read about it. Even pretty significant numbers of Japan-focused historians treat it in way more isolation than it's due; the official state histories (often) do too so it's not entirely unreasonable, but then that combined with Cold War associations or whatever that move Korea 1000 miles south mean this stuff still doesn't often get addressed even though we really know a lot better now.

catfry posted:

That's Tsushima island right? the strait between South korea and Mainland Japan is 170 km, too far to see.

You can see Tsushima from Busan and Kyushu from Tsushima (on a good day, but like, if you're living there your whole life you'll get those). Yeah it's not like Kyoto is just across from Seoul but the polities at the far west of the Japanese archipelago were (more than not) acting semi-independently even during the height of Japanese state control in the late 1st millennium anyway; it's a network of connections that linked them to the central court, and likewise, to the Korean peninsula.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Main article: "How to split the USA into two countries: Red and Blue"
https://bigthink.com/the-present/us-red-blue-partition-plan/

BigThink posted:

• To avoid the distortions of gerrymandering, it is based on electoral majorities in counties, rather than electoral districts.
  • As with the UN partition plan for Israel/Palestine, all territories of both states are contiguous. There are no enclaves. Citizens of either state can travel around their nation without having to cross a border.
  • The intersections between both nations are placed at actual interstate overpasses, so both states have frictionless access to their own territory.
  • In order to avoid enclaves, some ‘blue’ islands had to be transferred to ‘red’, and some ‘red’ zones were granted to the ‘blue’ nation. “This exchange is fair to both sides, in terms of area and population”.
  • Both nations have access to the East, West and Gulf Coasts, and each has a portion of Alaska.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: Regressive nation demands shoreline on Lake Ontario

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

How's the Spanish anime fandom scene?

Giantic. A subculture, basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKO8fGVq53g

Platystemon posted:

You could see it if there were three‐thousand‐metre mountains on either side of the strait.

The longest sightline ever photographed, from the surface of Earth, to the surface of Earth, is 443 km.

:-O

this is really cool, thanks for sharing!

Ras Het posted:

Greek phonology is like identical to peninsular Spanish

Learning greek is extremlly rare, because theres few uses for it. Also you kind of start from scratch because the vocabulary will not help you much. And the alphabeth is different, so. Is a thing somebody really nerdy can do for the sake of it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 1, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Powered Descent posted:

I've played enough Hearts of Iron Kaiserreich to know that the United States is going to lose supply lines pretty quickly once the ceasefire ends and the American Union gets its militia units.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Feeding Texas's major cities to the fash but marking loving Watertown, NY progressive is a hot take

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Feeding Texas's major cities to the fash but marking loving Watertown, NY progressive is a hot take

2 of the 5 largest Texas cities are in the blue at least :shobon:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Red America has almost no major cities (although it takes a couple slices out of some of the larger metroplexes), barely any contiguous passes between the 6 "continents", and barely any coastline. Aside from the massive war that would happen, it wouldn't be at all functional as a country.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGn5AXA1SM&t=95s

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
all the partition schemes are assuming that there’s meant to be some effort to preserve cohesive sociopolitical subunits and i think that’s orthogonal to the goal of balkanizing the US so it can never again be a threat to world peace. the victorious powers should just have a yalta like meeting where they establish lines of control and occupation zones; making sure that your new country gets all the Hardee’s but not any Carl’s Jr.’s or whatever is for winners only.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No Safe Word posted:

2 of the 5 largest Texas cities are in the blue at least :shobon:

I think I just outed myself and much of my family as being south oklahoman, and let me tell you, I am ashamed.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tei posted:

Learning greek is extremlly rare, because theres few uses for it. Also you kind of start from scratch because the vocabulary will not help you much. And the alphabeth is different, so. Is a thing somebody really nerdy can do for the sake of it.

What? I learned Ancient Greek in secondary school, and Ancient Greek used to be on the curriculum of most European secondary schools that weren't vocational or technical. The alphabet is pretty easy to learn, really, and you'll always recognise words that have crept into modern day European languages either via Classical Greek, Latin, the bible and the Renaissance. I'm quite sure Spanish has similar-sounding words to "pharmacist", "helicopter", "misogyny", "democracy", "gymnast" and "logic". Those words all come from Greek.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That said my other native language is french, which apparently gives you the supernatural ability to understand other romance languages without them understanding you. Perhaps it is merely a superpower that I can tell them apart.

It's called assymmetrical mutual intelligibility, I believe, e.g. a native speaker of Dutch can understand German better than a native speaker of German can understand Dutch, despite being neighbouring languages that are closely related. Maybe Ras Het can explain it better than I can, but I believe part of it is exposure (speakers of Dutch are exposed to German more often than the other way around) and part of it is innovation (speakers of Dutch can recognize some words, grammar and expressions in German as old-fashioned but not wrong in Dutch, whereas Dutch innovations have no counterpart in German). The latter here is what might be true for French vis à vis other Romance languages, but again, Ras Het will know better.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Powered Descent posted:

A big chunk of the non-coastal "progressive" counties are just minority heavy counties. They vote Democratic because of that (which this map is based on), not because they're particularly liberal/progressive. Most black people in a chunk of those Mississippian 'progressive' counties would be very conservative by NYC or California progressives standards, for example.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Learning Greek/Latin as a vocabulary aid has always seemed like BS to me when you can just learn the word in your first language (assuming it uses a Greek or Latin root) and recognize the same root elsewhere

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's called assymmetrical mutual intelligibility, I believe, e.g. a native speaker of Dutch can understand German better than a native speaker of German can understand Dutch, despite being neighbouring languages that are closely related. Maybe Ras Het can explain it better than I can, but I believe part of it is exposure (speakers of Dutch are exposed to German more often than the other way around) and part of it is innovation (speakers of Dutch can recognize some words, grammar and expressions in German as old-fashioned but not wrong in Dutch, whereas Dutch innovations have no counterpart in German). The latter here is what might be true for French vis à vis other Romance languages, but again, Ras Het will know better.

An Afrikaans friend of mine said that in Holland he could understand basically everything but the locals had a much tougher time. He figured it was the accent, mostly

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

What? I learned Ancient Greek in secondary school, and Ancient Greek used to be on the curriculum of most European secondary schools that weren't vocational or technical. The alphabet is pretty easy to learn, really, and you'll always recognise words that have crept into modern day European languages either via Classical Greek, Latin, the bible and the Renaissance. I'm quite sure Spanish has similar-sounding words to "pharmacist", "helicopter", "misogyny", "democracy", "gymnast" and "logic". Those words all come from Greek.

So you learned a variety of an already extremely localized language that can't even be used in those countries because no one speaks it anymore.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
If I recall correctly, when Greek people read the New Testament, they literally just read the texts in Koine Greek as they were originally (holding a lot of weight but you get it) written in the 1st century.

e: not quite, apparently. there are modern greek translations of the new testament of course, but apparently they're significantly easier to read for greek people than direct settings of the original manuscripts, my bad. it's almost a catholic latin vs vernacular situation in greek orthodox churches, i think?

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 1, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In judaism we have to nearly learn a new language to read the Tanakh, even people who speak israeli hebrew.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Western South Dakota might be one of the least progressive areas in the US (and of South Dakota for that matter) and yet on that map…

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 2, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I imagine it's like that because of the reservations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Arglebargle III posted:

I imagine it's like that because of the reservations.

Yes but if you are linking the “archipelago” (while ignoring actual major cities elsewhere lol) wouldn’t you just run a line south from the reservations?

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 2, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

catfry posted:

Although there are no photographs, there are other sightlines that are longer.

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html#longlines

https://imgur.com/a/MPFYHOe

Here is the weak viewshed from the summit of Mount Everest for comparison:

Generate them for arbitrary locations @ http://heywhatsthat.com

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 2, 2021

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Tweezer Reprise posted:

If I recall correctly, when Greek people read the New Testament, they literally just read the texts in Koine Greek as they were originally (holding a lot of weight but you get it) written in the 1st century.

e: not quite, apparently. there are modern greek translations of the new testament of course, but apparently they're significantly easier to read for greek people than direct settings of the original manuscripts, my bad. it's almost a catholic latin vs vernacular situation in greek orthodox churches, i think?

Modern Greek has developed in much the same way that modern English has -- it's lost a lot of declensions and conjugations when compared to the ancient or Byzantine language and also replaced a lot of vocabulary with word of foreign origin. I would say that the difference between modern spoken Greek (i.e. Dimotiki, not Katharevousa, which is another kettle of fish) and NT Koine is basically like the difference between modern English and early Middle English.

While modern Greek speakers generally have an easier time getting the basics of ancient Greek for this reason, they can paradoxically have a harder time really getting a grip on its nuances because so many words have shifted semantically, providing them with a false sense that they know the meaning of words.

A lot of words have undergone strange semantic shifts. A good example is ancient Greek doryphoros, lit. "spear bearer," which came to mean "bodyguard." Ancient Latin satellitus also could mean bodyguard, and English "satellite" is derived from this, i.e. something that orbits around something else. When people needed a word for "satellite" in modern Greek, they took the ancient Greek equivalent of the Latin root of the modern English word and thus called it doriforos. A lot of stuff like that can cause real confusion for modern Greek speakers trying to learn ancient Greek.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, registering the username “Tokyo Doryphoros”.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Platystemon posted:

Here is the weak viewshed from the summit of Mount Everest for comparison:

Generate them for arbitrary locations @ http://heywhatsthat.com

mods rename me to pik_dankova

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Modern Greek has developed in much the same way that modern English has -- it's lost a lot of declensions and conjugations when compared to the ancient or Byzantine language and also replaced a lot of vocabulary with word of foreign origin. I would say that the difference between modern spoken Greek (i.e. Dimotiki, not Katharevousa, which is another kettle of fish) and NT Koine is basically like the difference between modern English and early Middle English.

While modern Greek speakers generally have an easier time getting the basics of ancient Greek for this reason, they can paradoxically have a harder time really getting a grip on its nuances because so many words have shifted semantically, providing them with a false sense that they know the meaning of words.

A lot of words have undergone strange semantic shifts. A good example is ancient Greek doryphoros, lit. "spear bearer," which came to mean "bodyguard." Ancient Latin satellitus also could mean bodyguard, and English "satellite" is derived from this, i.e. something that orbits around something else. When people needed a word for "satellite" in modern Greek, they took the ancient Greek equivalent of the Latin root of the modern English word and thus called it doriforos. A lot of stuff like that can cause real confusion for modern Greek speakers trying to learn ancient Greek.

This is neat thank you for this post

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Found a new twitter account.

https://twitter.com/Atlasova_world/status/1443497827896860676

https://twitter.com/Atlasova_world/status/1442784011882045441

https://twitter.com/Atlasova_world/status/1442442995001970688

https://twitter.com/Atlasova_world/status/1440213655165943815

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The data source: a post on r/askreddit

$100% legit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Charleroi's just a city with a rich industrial past that's fallen on hard times. I'm much more ashamed of Brussels

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm shocked Paris isn't on there, but Marseille would be my second guess.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah Marseille seems cool as hell, whereas I've always instinctively disliked Paris as an honorary provincial despite not even being French. To me, one of the most puzzling things about the French national character is how they've always meekly gone along with that level of centralization.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Interestingly, in the Japanese versions of the Legend of Zelda games, the name of “Kakariko Village” doesn’t use the Japanese onomatopoeia, “コケコッコー” (kokekokko). It is instead named “カカリコ”, or the same sounds as “Kakariko”, written in katakana.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm shocked Paris isn't on there, but Marseille would be my second guess.

I wasn't kidding when I said the "data source" is r/askreddit. It's literally "some random person posted to my Reddit thread".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'd say London hate is pretty high amongst every Brit not living in London. It gets awkward now because while it is a terrible cancer on the rest of the country, it's also one of the last progressive places in England now the north decided they were tories.

Like I really want to hate London but it puts me on the same team as the gammons. poo poo's hosed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TIL where Kouvola (a town literally known only for its liquorice) is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

3D Megadoodoo posted:

TIL where Kouvola (a town literally known only for its liquorice) is.

I just read the wiki page and uh why is their motto:

quote:

"Kaikkea kivaa betonista" (Everything nice from concrete)
do any Finns have a better translation for that or is it idiomatic...?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I just read the wiki page and uh why is their motto:

do any Finns have a better translation for that or is it idiomatic...?

They just really like concrete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Kouvola: You can’t take their work for granite.