Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Seph posted:

Did you really have a months-old post lined up waiting to quote as soon as September passed? Even for this thread that's pretty sad.
Y'all have the memory of a gold fish so it's a pretty good idea to bring up all the confident projections made in the spring and summer about how much Democrats are going to get done so we can see how far the goalposts have been moved

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

It seems really weird to me that now that the 7 trillion dollar most progressive deal in history has been whittled down to a pittance, we all need to accept it because any table scraps are better then nothing, right? But there was never any reason to whittle down the deal because the only people that want to whittle it down are in your party. It seems like the party should have some kind of better apparatus for this kind of thing so they could pass good legislature, if that's what they intended, instead of hamstringing themselves for no real reason.

Anyway I'm really excited to vote for the Democrats next time around so they can keep passing good bills in a timely and efficient manner.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

selec posted:

There are better ways of getting money, but if she’s taking a payoff to protect capital she didn’t pick a dumb one. I am really curious about this insistence that she must be stupid rather than venal. Why is this falling along the usual lines of leftists vs liberals in the thread? What is the insistence that it must be stupidity say, or is it just a deflection from the implications that come from the possibility of corruption? If it’s corruption, it reifies the sense of political powerlessness that is characteristic in our country right now. And that’s a huge downer! So instead maybe we just call her stupid, somebody who doesn’t understand the defensible system we all live under, a problem that will correct itself if we can just get this stupid woman out of the way.

Sinema's current schtick is stupid =/= Sinema is stupid.

I don't know Sinema. Maybe she's really clever. Sometimes someone can be an absolute pro at something and still make a bone headed play. I think this thing she's doing vis a vis the reconciliation bill would have played a lot better 20 years ago when there were still ticket splitters and people who go back and forth from D to R based on the candidate. She can be misreading what made McCain popular and misreading the political environment without being an actual stupid person or whatever. My read is that 1) she is more conservative than the median D Senator and wants a smaller bill AND 2) her grandstanding about this was misguided and she didn't leave herself a convenient offramp.

Is Sinema serving capital? Of course. She's a senator. The vast majority of the Democratic caucus also serves capital. And yet, about 48 of them at least want this bill to pass.

selec posted:

It’s wild to me that folks believe this is about personalities and not trillions of dollars of economic options that the ruling class want to see steered to their benefit.

If 48 Democratic senators want the bill to pass and Manchin and Sinema are the ones that are corrupt enough to derail this by taking a pay off - isn't that also an analysis based on personalities? If every person was just a class interest robot with a 'beep boop does this maximize return for capital beep boop' program running we wouldn't even be this far into the dialog about the reconciliation bill.

selec posted:

But I suspect she’ll have a golden parachute no matter what happens.

This is true of anyone currently serving in the Senate.

selec posted:

It’s really a Rorschach test for what you think of the system we have to live under; is it essentially ok if people would just play by the rules, or is it just a beard on a brutal class system?

This is an enormous stretch with absolutely no evidence or basis in reality. Here, let me prove you wrong: I'm one of the people saying Sinema's actions on this are (at least in part) based on a clumsy and stupid political miscalculation and that the Democrats will eventually pass a reconciliation bill. I also do not believe that the system we have to live under is "essentially OK" and that we do in fact have a brutal class system.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Been ignoring politics for a while as part of a much needed mental health break so I just want to ask a quick question, has anything meaningful and good happened on the federal level since, say, beginning of summer? Dont care about bad stuff or stuff that hasnt happened or might happen, just hoping for a spot of good news before I disappear again.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Been ignoring politics for a while as part of a much needed mental health break so I just want to ask a quick question, has anything meaningful and good happened on the federal level since, say, beginning of summer? Dont care about bad stuff or stuff that hasnt happened or might happen, just hoping for a spot of good news before I disappear again.

we left Afghanistan

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Sinema's approval rating in AZ is in the 20s so yes, she is a terrible politician by the most basic metric. Spiking a lifelong career as a US senator in less than a year is not the action of an intelligent or capable person. Whatever golden parachute she's been promised is far lesser than the influence and money she could have amassed over decades of gladhanding by simply keeping her head down.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

rscott posted:

Y'all have the memory of a gold fish so it's a pretty good idea to bring up all the confident projections made in the spring and summer about how much Democrats are going to get done so we can see how far the goalposts have been moved

We are barely two days into October and the bills still have a decent chance of passing in the next couple of days, despite all the doomposting going on in this thread. It just comes across as desperate for an own to pull up a months-old post and go "well technically it's October heh" when negotiations are actively happening and the bills could still very easily be passed (despite being a few days after EW's predictions).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1444272829759959042?s=19

So in the end we're going to get an infrastructure bill that's a net negative for the environment and maybe some scraps thrown to seniors and the poor, if they aren't means tested into uselessness

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

rscott posted:

So in the end we're going to get an infrastructure bill that's a net negative for the environment and maybe some scraps thrown to seniors and the poor, if they aren't means tested into uselessness

Maybe! But also maybe not. Manchin hasn't been anywhere near consistent on this supposed 1.5t topline. Doomerizing about the tiny bill we're going to get doesn't make the bill any larger or influence the outcome in any way. I don't think there's a ton of value in getting all that invested in speculation from the media here.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seph posted:

the bills still have a decent chance of passing in the next couple of days

in a massively cut form that fucks over the most vulnerable people and pisses away even the vaguest attempt at any sort of climate action, sure, i totally believe it could pass in the next couple of days

in terms of them passing in a way that will meaningfully improve the lives of regular-rear end people and take climate change even remotely seriously? lmfao sure yeah ok i totally believe that'll happen after the democrats have spent my entire adult life actively fighting against both of those things. i totally buy that this time will be different and we totally won't see them pull another 'whoopsie doodle we tried but a particularly stubborn member of congress sunk it all, guess you all get to eat a poo poo sandwich again, nothing we could do! v:shobon:v'

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

rscott posted:

Faced with the threat of climate change and the catastrophes that have been happening just this year, the democrats are coming up really, really short. Hell, isn’t Biden still authorizing drilling permits?

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'm a little alarmed at the glee in this thread that Krysten Sinema will be unseated in 2024. Her approval numbers are in the toilet, sure. But we do realize that if she were to be replaced, it would likely be by a fascist. Sinema can be difficult to work with, but at least she takes meetings with Biden instead of saying that he's drinking the blood of children or some poo poo. I think people's energy would be better focused toward "elect more Democrats and make Sinema unimportant" rather than "acceleration machine go brrrr" by fantasizing about her losing her seat. Someone earlier in the thread (I don't want to call them out) said they were thinking of not voting for her. Don't do this.

When it really comes down to it, I hope Arizona Dems will do the right thing and not the accelerationist thing that "feels good."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My Government just signed off on a €165bn infrastructure package. If you per-capita adjusted that to the population of the US it would be the equivalent of about $13tn, and yet it passed with only minor backroom debates about the balance of public transport vs road investment, and its not even on the frontpage of the main news websites.

And still, we are a loving joke for public transport and infrastructure delivery compared to most of Europe... The US then, is hosed to an extent it's truly hard to fully conceptualize. The imperial decline is hitting hard now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fancy Pelosi posted:

I'm a little alarmed at the glee in this thread that Krysten Sinema will be unseated in 2024. Her approval numbers are in the toilet, sure. But we do realize that if she were to be replaced, it would likely be by a fascist. Sinema can be difficult to work with, but at least she takes meetings with Biden instead of saying that he's drinking the blood of children or some poo poo. I think people's energy would be better focused toward "elect more Democrats and make Sinema unimportant" rather than "acceleration machine go brrrr" by fantasizing about her losing her seat. Someone earlier in the thread (I don't want to call them out) said they were thinking of not voting for her. Don't do this.

Electing more Democrats is a prerequisite for ditching Sinema, they aren't mutually exclusive

quote:

When it really comes down to it, I hope Arizona Dems will do the right thing and not the accelerationist thing that "feels good."

The "right thing" here would be to eliminate her in the primary and then win the general, not just unseat her and then everyone relaxes and goes home

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fancy Pelosi posted:

pretty sure most people more expect her to lose her primary challenge, not lose her seat in a general election to a republican

however that's still optimistic as hell since the dnc will absolutely back her and throw shitloads of money at her to help her win her primary

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Sinema is just securing her future in the corporate world. It’s not that hard to figure out.

She knows she either wins re-election and remains a senator for a while longer or even better gets removed and makes millions giving speeches to the pharma industry. There is no down side for her.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
I understand that much of the Sinema theorizing is about a mythical electable progressive primary candidate emerging in barely-light-blue Arizona, and that's fine. But a contentious primary might hurt the candidates in the general, and in a state with as narrow of margins as Arizona (Biden only won by a little over 10,000 votes) that could very easily lead to another fascist in the Senate. I just hope that in the primary process we remember not to savage other Democrats and, if in fact Sinema does end up the Democratic nominee, that everyone leaves the past in the past so that we don't end up with another chud fascist in the Senate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

theCalamity posted:

Faced with the threat of climate change and the catastrophes that have been happening just this year, the democrats are coming up really, really short. Hell, isn’t Biden still authorizing drilling permits?

The Biden Admin is fighting them in court because a bunch of red states sued over the permit freeze.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/oil-industry-groups-sue-biden-administration-over-leasing-pause-2021-08-16/

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fancy Pelosi posted:

But a contentious primary might hurt the candidates in the general,

is there evidence of this happening? people said this about 2016 but it didnt ever real come with evidence.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

is there evidence of this happening? people said this about 2016 but it didnt ever real come with evidence.

If anything Trump emerged from a far more contentious primary and won the general.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

punishedkissinger posted:

I don't want to relitigate 2016 but yes, Hillary Clinton did in fact lose to Trump after a contentious primary despite being obviously far more qualified for the job.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fancy Pelosi posted:

I understand that much of the Sinema theorizing is about a mythical electable progressive primary candidate emerging in barely-light-blue Arizona, and that's fine. But a contentious primary might hurt the candidates in the general, and in a state with as narrow of margins as Arizona (Biden only won by a little over 10,000 votes) that could very easily lead to another fascist in the Senate. I just hope that in the primary process we remember not to savage other Democrats and, if in fact Sinema does end up the Democratic nominee, that everyone leaves the past in the past so that we don't end up with another chud fascist in the Senate.

I dont understand why people are gnashing their teeth about Sinema here.

By her next election you're all going to say vote blue no matter who.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Raccooon posted:

If anything Trump emerged from a far more contentious primary and won the general.

great point! this sort or handwringing about primaries always comes across to me as an explicit demand to not publicly criticize democrats. obviously republicans are worse but if we followed this line of reasoning there would be nothing preventing democrats from drifting right even more.

Fancy Pelosi posted:

I don't want to relitigate 2016 but yes, Hillary Clinton did in fact lose to Trump after a contentious primary despite being obviously far more qualified for the job.

right but is there evidence that the contentious primary caused this? i have not seen it if there is. i'm sure there are other examples that could be drawn from.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 2, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fancy Pelosi posted:

sinema and manchin are actively holding the democrats back from ensuring chud fascists don't literally steal elections in 2024, them being out on their asses and replaced by chuds will fundamentally change absolutely nothing about the trajectory of this country

Fancy Pelosi posted:

hillary's campaign also boosted trump during the republican primary because she was sure he'd be the easiest candidate to beat, so perhaps her and her campaign team just had absolutely no loving idea what the poo poo they were doing on any level during that entire shitshow

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Media harping on emails and comey dropping his letter about emails days before the election probably had way more of an impact on that election than a contentious primary.

Race was so close that without that Comey letter she would probably have been President.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

sinema and manchin are actively holding the democrats back from ensuring chud fascists don't literally steal elections in 2024, them being out on their asses and replaced by chuds will fundamentally change absolutely nothing about the trajectory of this country

I don't know, I think Manchin and Sinema doing their weird little dances before ultimately voting in favor of bills like the American Rescue Plan is a little better than two more fascists in the Senate. This is what we mean when we talk about accelerationism.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fancy Pelosi posted:

Is this a gimmick account or are we meant to read this as serious talk made by serious posters?

Like is there actually a line that anyone with a D by their name can cross? If the "moderate" republicans decided to swap parties would you celebrate them?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Raccooon posted:

Race was so close that without that Comey letter she would probably have been President.

Remember when Comey got Trump elected, then was suddenly the only one who could protect the US from trump, then when he got sacked he was suddenly the hero that would take down trump. Every time I lol like with W being re-written as a reasonable Republican.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is this a gimmick account or are we meant to read this as serious talk made by serious posters?

Like is there actually a line that anyone with a D by their name can cross? If the "moderate" republicans decided to swap parties would you celebrate them?

It would be nice if we can have a rule against “vote blue no matter who” talk. It is usually disingenuous and used as a means to dissuade people from talking about other available options. I’ve seen too many “oh you must be so privileged” as a means to shut down debate and attempt to guilt people for pointing out the flaws of a Democratic member that have real negative impacts on America and the world.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 2, 2021

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Personally, if we aren't going to get anything of note done with global warming, then ya, I hope Sinema is replaced by a lunatic.

My future is already going to be a hellscape, I want the boomers to experience it too. I want every coastal city full of corporate headquarters to suffer immensely.

I don't give a poo poo anymore. gently caress Sinema and Manchin, gently caress the Democrats.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fancy Pelosi posted:

I don't know, I think Manchin and Sinema doing their weird little dances before ultimately voting in favor of bills like the American Rescue Plan is a little better than two more fascists in the Senate. This is what we mean when we talk about accelerationism.

sinema and manchin won't have a chance to do that poo poo when republicans throw out results in 2022 and 2024 and declare their candidates winners and take the senate, or just keep passing insane voter discrimination laws that prevent democratic voters from casting votes to begin with. this is what i mean when i say there is fundamentally no difference in the trajectory of the country between them. they are actively fighting against efforts to prevent that exact scenario from occurring and republicans have demonstrated very clearly that their intention is to do exactly that. if democrats do not take the opportunity they have right now and take serious action on voting rights, they will likely never control the senate again at any point in any of our lives, and sinema and manchin are making absolutely sure that is the case.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
"Fancy Pelosi", the account registered less than 24 hours ago, is very clearly trolling and you should all be very disappointed in yourselves for wasting time in replying to them.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

however that's still optimistic as hell since the dnc will absolutely back her and throw shitloads of money at her to help her win her primary

why

Like seriously though, why would they help her? It's not even a question of centrism versus progressivism, it's a question of party loyalty. The party wants people who are going to vote for their agenda, whatever it is, and Sinema threatening to torpedo the Administration's signature agenda because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is the opposite of a reliable vote. I can't imagine there's anyone in the administration or the DNC who wouldn't rather have another Mark Kelly instead of having to deal with Sinema's bullshit.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Fancy Pelosi", the account registered less than 24 hours ago, is very clearly trolling and you should all be very disappointed in yourselves for wasting time in replying to them.

Maybe, but it isn’t like that kind of talk isn’t prevalent in this thread. Here are just a few posts from when I recommend bad Dems be replaced by good Dems:

nine-gear crow posted:

The mythical "Let's let the lovely Dems be replaced by fascists now so we can get better Dems later" adage has thus far never managed to yield results on the "better Dems later" part. The "replaced by fascists" part on the other hand always goes gangbusters for some reason...

Flopsy posted:

Can we not do this Accelerationist poo poo please?

Ravenfood posted:

I'm very glad you are in a financial, emotional, and physical state to be safe during such an event!

The “vote blue no matter who” rhetoric is incredibly toxic and it would be great if something was done about it.

Fancy Pelosi
Oct 2, 2021

by Hand Knit
I am a re-reg because people tend to get harassed for posting political opinions that 90% of normal people have. But I'm not trolling, and even bringing up Sinema's possible replacement has made people reveal their accelerationist streak, case in point:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Personally, if we aren't going to get anything of note done with global warming, then ya, I hope Sinema is replaced by a lunatic.

My future is already going to be a hellscape, I want the boomers to experience it too. I want every coastal city full of corporate headquarters to suffer immensely.

I don't give a poo poo anymore. gently caress Sinema and Manchin, gently caress the Democrats.

I'll drop it, though, since people seem to think I'm trolling.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

President Biden has a 'long and fruitful chat' with an Arizona rep that has a credible resume for a Senate run: "The DNC will clearly support Sinema to the hilt!"

The argument that a better candidate than Manchin doesn't exist in West Virginia is well-proven at this point, because the other Democrat that seems like he can win is Jim Justice.

The same argument for Arizona is pathetically weak. There are a dozen credible Democratic candidates, some of them who are centrist moderate succdems that won't piss off the White House and congressional leadership for seemingly no reason.

And even if you do believe in the DNC has a conspiratorial group, not supporting a primary challenge to Sinems makes it more likely that a party outsider gets the nomination instead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

why

Like seriously though, why would they help her? It's not even a question of centrism versus progressivism, it's a question of party loyalty. The party wants people who are going to vote for their agenda, whatever it is, and Sinema threatening to torpedo the Administration's signature agenda because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is the opposite of a reliable vote. I can't imagine there's anyone in the administration or the DNC who wouldn't rather have another Mark Kelly instead of having to deal with Sinema's bullshit.

There are ppl in this thread already urging ppl to vote for her in the next election.

At the end Sinema will be responsible for eviscerated any real shot at stopping climate change, and that's gonna get her ALOT of happy and well heeled financial backers.

The only effective thing the Dems are good at is squashing insurgent campaigns. They're absolutely going to go the mat to protect her seat and her specifically.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fancy Pelosi posted:

I am a re-reg because people tend to get harassed for posting political opinions that 90% of normal people have. But I'm not trolling, and even bringing up Sinema's possible replacement has made people reveal their accelerationist streak, case in point:

Well. I don’t blame you for those reasons. I don’t blame people for not wanting to post here. It’s stupid place that has the same fights over the same ground over and over.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 2, 2021

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fancy Pelosi posted:

If you are being sincere, then thank you for dropping it. It isn’t helpful to condemn people for wanting better representatives in the government and pointing out how incredibly flawed and destructive the moderates of the Democratic Party have been.

“Vote blue no matter who” talk reminds me a lot of “if you don’t like it then GET OUT” talk that comes from conservatives. It stifles conversations on how to improve the party/country.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sinema's approval rating in AZ is in the 20s so yes, she is a terrible politician by the most basic metric. Spiking a lifelong career as a US senator in less than a year is not the action of an intelligent or capable person. Whatever golden parachute she's been promised is far lesser than the influence and money she could have amassed over decades of gladhanding by simply keeping her head down.

Source for the bolded?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Im sure that if massive cuts do end up happening then the climate stuff will be first on the block to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tibalt posted:

President Biden has a 'long and fruitful chat' with an Arizona rep that has a credible resume for a Senate run: "The DNC will clearly support Sinema to the hilt!"

The argument that a better candidate than Manchin doesn't exist in West Virginia is well-proven at this point, because the other Democrat that seems like he can win is Jim Justice.

The same argument for Arizona is pathetically weak. There are a dozen credible Democratic candidates, some of them who are centrist moderate succdems that won't piss off the White House and congressional leadership for seemingly no reason.

And even if you do believe in the DNC has a conspiratorial group, not supporting a primary challenge to Sinems makes it more likely that a party outsider gets the nomination instead.

Yeah, the same argument doesn't hold in AZ because the other Senator who was just elected supports it. We're not asking for Bernie, we're asking her to match Mark Kelly