Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Someone in the government has played Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa and has faith in the Truck Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

happyhippy posted:

Nah, its genetics. Some of their grandparents drove tanks in WW2, so driving a lorry full of Curly Wurlys should be a doddle.
There it is. You did it!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Rice cooker wise, I've stuck a 30 quid Russell Hobbs one in my cart that looks like all I need. But lately I've been using a plastic microwave one that I spent about a fiver on and it's great. Less fuss, less mess, comes out lovely.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

therattle posted:

Imperial units are illogical. Metric forever!

I don't have trouble with using an imperial unit. Like if you're 180 cm tall you could say you're 5.9 feet or 70 inches or 4.20 horsetails or whatever. Just don't tell me you're 5 feet 11 inches because now I have to make two mental conversions to metric instead of one. Same with recipes, using cups, ounces, spoons, table spoons, quarts, pints etc. all happily mixed together will lead into confusion and probably me putting a litre of vanilla into the cake instead of a millilitre.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 2, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

therattle posted:

Holy poo poo. I was sceptical that it could reduce carbs but that actually makes sense. My son is diabetic and coeliac so we eat a lot of rice. I will look into this.

It's something that came up when my wife (who is coeliac) was pregnant with our baby and developed gestational diabetes.

Cooking brown rice on the Gabba setting meant she could have decent portions of food.

Also any rice left over can be given to birds or dogs. (Despite the old wives tale, rice does not expand in birds or dogs stomachs.)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hell yes he's tough enough

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Gotta agree that as this breakfast just cost me £13 in Spitalfields market.

Hmph.

Just lol at anyone who eats in Spitalfields for any reason at all. Better, cheaper, and way more varied food is available in like two minutes in literally any direction.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just lol at anyone who eats in Spitalfields for any reason at all. Better, cheaper, and way more varied food is available in like two minutes in literally any direction.

I like Bleecker Burger but you're right. Sadly I didn't get a choice in restaurants this time.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I feel like there's a very large "However," that's been truncated off that statement.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

As much as a Cenobite.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I feel like there's a very large "However," that's been truncated off that statement.

No no no.

Now the follow-up question should be "how do you define People?"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
She does care deeply. She cares deeply about loving them over in as cruel and callous way as possible. I think Tory Hone Secretaries have to be sociopaths.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I'm not saying that there's some sort of inherent sickness in the mind of English people that makes them vote for increasingly worse and worse tory governments

But there is sickness in the mind of English people that makes them vote for increasingly worse and worse tory governments

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Scots are, of course, a better breed of person, that right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HopperUK posted:

Rice cooker wise, I've stuck a 30 quid Russell Hobbs one in my cart that looks like all I need. But lately I've been using a plastic microwave one that I spent about a fiver on and it's great. Less fuss, less mess, comes out lovely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083V96Q9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one in medium, it does 2-3 people perfectly, if you have 3+ you need the large. the sizing is important because of the crust that forms on the Bottom if you do too small an amount. Needs 1 rice to 1.5 water. when it gets to the boiling stage you need to keep lifting the lid for a bit or liquid will come out the steam hole and flow on to the surface, although it has a lip to stop it going into the internals.

:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083V96Q9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this one in medium, it does 2-3 people perfectly, if you have 3+ you need the large. the sizing is important because of the crust that forms on the Bottom if you do too small an amount. Needs 1 rice to 1.5 water. when it gets to the boiling stage you need to keep lifting the lid for a bit or liquid will come out the steam hole and flow on to the surface, although it has a lip to stop it going into the internals.

:)

That's the one I was looking at! Cheers.:)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Honestly so long as they are well made the simpler rice cookers mechanism is pretty much foolproof (as long as you put the right amount of water)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HopperUK posted:

That's the one I was looking at! Cheers.:)

argos have them at a pound or two cheaper fyi

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ash Crimson posted:

I'm not saying that there's some sort of inherent sickness in the mind of English people that makes them vote for increasingly worse and worse tory governments

But there is sickness in the mind of English people that makes them vote for increasingly worse and worse tory governments

oh you're doing this again

nature is healing

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

I'm English and yes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

Scots just have a nice healthy amount of tory hatred which has helped push them in the right direction.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think there is a lot in the prevailing theory that having hard tap water makes you more likely to be a oval office.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Or that the people we're given the privilege of hearing from are mostly from the ruling class and are, therefore, cunts

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

therattle posted:

She does care deeply. She cares deeply about loving them over in as cruel and callous way as possible. I think Tory Hone Secretaries have to be sociopaths.
But do only horrible people take the job, or does the job turn them into horrible people? (The answer's obvious in Patel's case, but...)

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Photos from Port Mulgrave. Site of an old alum mine, then a port before the breakwater was dynamited to prevent it being used for invasion in WW2.
Now really good for fossils and home to some interesting beach shacks.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Dabir posted:

You got a problem with that

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
The second you start thinking of yourself as being english your brain begins to irreversibly decay

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Payndz posted:

But do only horrible people take the job, or does the job turn them into horrible people? (The answer's obvious in Patel's case, but...)

Unfortunately the ultimate test case was denied us (Diane Abbott) :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Unfortunately the ultimate test case was denied us (Diane Abbott) :(

I definitely think The Curse Of The Home Secretary started to get to her with the whole "ban anonymity on the internet" thing.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Endjinneer posted:

Photos from Port Mulgrave. Site of an old alum mine, then a port before the breakwater was dynamited to prevent it being used for invasion in WW2.
Now really good for fossils and home to some interesting beach shacks.

God drat the north east is pretty. I just got back from a trip to round by Farne, that whole coast up there and I could've stayed there forever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I definitely think The Curse Of The Home Secretary started to get to her with the whole "ban anonymity on the internet" thing.
And "there's no good reason for anyone to own sulphuric acid". There must be something about the office that makes you think the only way to solve problems is to ban the first order apparent causes of those problems even if you can't actually do that in the real world Theresa or are in no way qualified to know what you're even referring to Alan.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Home Secretary as a role suffers from the old "When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" problem. Even at the best of times the majority of the role is dealing with the results of the failures of just about every other department, but now we're deep into the selling-the-copper-out-of-the-walls stage of society. Awful behaviour on the internet, from racist abuse to grooming to the worst sin of all, being rude to people with newspaper columns, is a symptom of much much deeper problems that we need to fix in society but the only tool available to the Home Office is MORE COPS or at least MAKE LIFE MUCH EASIER FOR COPS, so forcing everyone to post with their full name, address, and a contact number for their manager on display is about the only solution a Home Secretary would have.

Maybe it's time to swap out the Home Office as a Great Office with another one that actually has power to fix problems rather than punish their results, or at least move a lot of the departments that have budded off from it over the years back in - FCO and the Treasury still make sense as Great Offices because they have a singular role which they have complete control over, but the Home Office now only really does cops, courts, and (I'll stop there).

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I have annoyed a policeofficer on social media by suggesting the police are untrustworthy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would settle for walling one of the home secs into the palace of westminster, cask of amontillado style, and just having them be the home secretary for the rest of time and nobody else can ever be it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

argos have them at a pound or two cheaper fyi

ooo this is useful thank you friend

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

You can cook rice in an Instant Pot fwiw. We got a "Duo Evo Plus" and it's really good. It's probably going to be worse at cooking rice than a dedicated rice cooker but it does the job, plus lots of other things. Only thing that's a bit of a pain when cooking rice is that the pot is just stainless steel, not non-stick, so rice can stick to it a bit (but not like, horribly).

Anyway.

https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1444355212672708609?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not sure Sajid Javid is very bright.
Care staff are hard enough to recruit at the best of times, without threatening them with the sack if they don't get vaccinated.

Or maybe - along with lorry drivers - this is actually Secret Marxist Boris Johnson's plan to drive up wages and re-nationalise the care sector. Fire so many staff that recruiting is impossible without massively raising wages - which no care provider can afford without it hitting their profits - and then nationalise them when the firms announce their pulling out.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

kingturnip posted:

Or maybe - along with lorry drivers - this is actually Secret Marxist Boris Johnson's plan to drive up wages and re-nationalise the care sector. Fire so many staff that recruiting is impossible without massively raising wages - which no care provider can afford without it hitting their profits - and then nationalise them when the firms announce their pulling out.

What. Obviously it's the opposite.

Gradually reduce NHS funding to zero so it can't perform, then point to the failure and say "see, it needs to be privatised". While doing this, use the money saved from the funding reduction to gradually also increase payments to the private sector, which will take over more and more NHS tasks, while doing a completely inadequate job but obviusly generating lots of profit. When the time is ripe, full privatisation will have been nearly achieved already, at a massive cost to the taxpayer and the general public.

e: watch literally everybody in the UK media swallow the "it's failing, obviously this is because it's publicly funded, therefore obviously it needs to be privatised in order to not fail" argument hook, line and sinker

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
there's no way most people could afford private health care in this country

we know from other industries that costs for things like this don't scale so $2000 dollar ambulance costs just mean 80% of the population can't use ambulances anymore and just die

note this isn't me saying they're not trying to do it, just that the bloodbath is going to be immense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lady Demelza posted:

I have annoyed a policeofficer on social media by suggesting the police are untrustworthy.

RIP you. Unless you can find a bus driver on social media.