Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am so disappointed to read this. The game looks so good from the trailers and screenshots.

Yeah me too. It lines up with a review I read: the game is gorgeous but very stupid and irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Why has Xbox not upgraded Minecraft for Series X? It's their flagship title at this point, and it's still running at lastgen console constraints.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What constraints are those?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they had a Ray tracing patch done but then deleted it because it was too good looking and would make everyone laugh at halo more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Why has Xbox not upgraded Minecraft for Series X? It's their flagship title at this point, and it's still running at lastgen console constraints.

We're still waiting for the 1x upgrade that never launched

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
PSA for anyone looking to play Halo Infinite Insider on Xbox:

If you aren't a Halo Insider yet (what are you waiting for?
to play in the Halo Infinite Multiplayer Tech Preview, then
today's your lucky day!
Here's how you can join us for some chaos and fun:
1. Navigate to the Store on your Xbox console and
search for "Xbox Insider Hub" in the App section
and install
2. Launch Xbox Insider Hub
3. Under "Previews," select "Halo Infinite - Insider"
4. Select "Join Preview"
5. If the Preview does not immediately install, hold
down power button for 10 seconds to power cycle
console then turn it back on
6. Navigate back to the Preview in the Xbox Insider
Hub
7. Click "View in Store"
8. Install
9. You're ready to join us on Friday, October 1 for
some Halo Infinite fun!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I tried some Avengers. It seems pretty interesting and it's great to see the characters interact but like the Wha Happun stated a live service game was not the best fit. Guardians and Midnight Suns will probably do it better. I'm actually anticipating the Midnight Sons social interactions the most. And if it has Blade's original 70's costume I will declare it the best game ever and kill then eat anyone that disagrees.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I played with two friends I can't see myself playing again. It's so easy it just kinda feels like its playing itself. Also that 125 gb is primo real estate.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Halo btb is pretty good. The big spike launcher gun totally fucks up vehicles.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Cloks posted:

i pre-ordered avengers

don't play avengers, it's poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

How good BtB is my critical litmus test for Halo MP

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Laserface posted:

It one shots players too. This halo is fun and I'm not a big halo person. Big team battle is fun chaos.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 2, 2021

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Laserface posted:

This!

It takes two rockets to fully blow up a warthog but one skewer to basically destroy things

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BTB seems like a little too much to me as a not so great Halo player. Like I felt like I had a slim chance in regular slayer/CTF but in BTB slayer/CTF I have no chance :( Maybe it's just this map.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BTB is incredible - really my first halo since halo 2 due to life poo poo

Don't stress too much the map is new - embrace the chaos

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The roads/routes on the map are kinda too narrow for the speed of the warthog and there is lots of tree areas around the bases of rocks that you can get it stuck in.

besides that i dont have many other complaints besides the dumb time slots for actually being able to play the game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The wasp vehicle is super powerful. BTB was a lot of fun, can't wait for tonight to have another go.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve never really enjoyed Halo multiplayer but I’m having a lot of fun with this. The pacing feels good now that I’m an old man. Or they nailed it.

Whatever, it’s a lot of fun. Wish they had more live time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Can you guys believe it’s been almost a year since we (us launch day bitches anyway) got our Series Xs and Ss?
I’m still hoping the expansion SSD prices will come down but I don’t really see it happening anytime soon. I think this is the first time I’ve bought the first generation of a console new since the GameCube. I can’t believe my brother stands by his belief that the PlayStation is somehow better than the Xbox.
Game pass keeps winning.

Side note: checked my internet usage and I was like “how is my usage only 184gb this month?” And then realized its 25 hours into the month and I downloaded avengers.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I still can't believe how lucky I was, when 2 weeks after launch I just clicked the 'BUY' button on the MS website and 2 days later my series x got delivered.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank you Japanese gamers, for making buying a Series X on launch day possible and then let me sell my One X at cost for what I paid for it. Truly, the finest of gamers

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

otter posted:

I’m still hoping the expansion SSD prices will come down but I don’t really see it happening anytime soon.

If you're in the US, Newegg often runs sales on the Expansion Drive. ~190 if I remember right. If you're interested I'll post a link in the thread next time I notice.

Also, there are rumors of a smaller Expansion Drive coming out at some point soon.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Got mine shortly after launch for half price because MS discontinued the one X the day the series went on sale and they were still in demand for some reason so sold it in an hour to someone for $400, $50 more than the trade in value at EB games against the series X that I was originally going to do.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zerot posted:

If you're in the US, Newegg often runs sales on the Expansion Drive. ~190 if I remember right. If you're interested I'll post a link in the thread next time I notice.

Also, there are rumors of a smaller Expansion Drive coming out at some point soon.

Smaller in data storage or smaller in physical footprint?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

Smaller in data storage or smaller in physical footprint?

Storage size. 512GB.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zerot posted:

Storage size. 512GB.

Would rather a 2tb one at twice the price than a half size at 3/4

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have a Taco Bell one x I can never get rid of it

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Zerot posted:

yeah, it's the price discrepancy between what an SSD actually should cost by itself and what MS wants for theirs. A 1TB m2 ssd is like $100 so I get even charging $125-140 for it because you gave it a cute little jacket but the extra $50 (on sale) just pisses me off. I have a 4TB usb3 drive that I had picked up for less than $100 now for all my 360 or other games that do not require the high speed of the ssd.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Hopping on Infinite in 25 minutes as the next session is getting ready to start. Looking to do BTB with a 12-man goon squad. Msg me

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

otter posted:

yeah, it's the price discrepancy between what an SSD actually should cost by itself and what MS wants for theirs. A 1TB m2 ssd is like $100 so I get even charging $125-140 for it because you gave it a cute little jacket but the extra $50 (on sale) just pisses me off. I have a 4TB usb3 drive that I had picked up for less than $100 now for all my 360 or other games that do not require the high speed of the ssd.

The Xbox expansion cards aren't normal SSDs. They're a custom CFexpress-based solution. Here's an article where someone was able to make a DIY version of the expansion card, though: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/modder-creates-diy-expansion-card-for-xbox-series-x-and-s

I don't think you can find a 1TB PCI Express 4.0 drive for $100, either.

You can use a $100 SSD and an enclosure to store games on. I have a 2TB SATA drive hooked up to my Series X. It works great for old-gen games and cold storage.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, I'm still using the ancient external HD I bought for the original bone with my series x and it's fine. Takes like 5-10 minutes to move a game over. Can't justify spending what they're charging to save that couple of minutes.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Zerot posted:

The Xbox expansion cards aren't normal SSDs. They're a custom CFexpress-based solution. Here's an article where someone was able to make a DIY version of the expansion card, though: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/modder-creates-diy-expansion-card-for-xbox-series-x-and-s

You can use a $100 SSD and an enclosure to store games on. I have a 2TB SATA drive hooked up to my Series X. It works great for old-gen games and cold storage.

Aha. I see the xbox has it's fancy pants on. I had never bothered to look up the difference in pcie generations but seems pretty substantial that it doubles the bandwidth.
All right, points to microsoft this round.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zerot posted:

Yeah I have a 8TB ssd in a USB enclosure and its much faster than a spinning drive. Well worth it, IMO

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

kri kri posted:

Yeah I have a 8TB ssd in a USB enclosure and its much faster than a spinning drive. Well worth it, IMO

are you guys confusing SSD and HDD

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

8TB SSDs exist. https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-QVO-SATA-MZ-77Q8T0B/dp/B089C3TZL9

Seems like a lot to spend for an Xbox but it would work like any other USB SSD when in an enclosure.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

No

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Regular "fast" SSDs have gotten pretty reasonable in price, and work just fine via a USB enclosure. It's the very fast ones used by both next gen consoles that are still cost as much as a small car past 1TB.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The shittiest SSD from ten years ago is better than the absolute garbage tier hard drives the last-gen consoles came with.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just didn't realize SATA SSDs had gotten to 8tb. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The shittiest SSD from ten years ago is better than the absolute garbage tier hard drives the last-gen consoles came with.

If you didn't get some kind of external ssd last gen, you were in for a pretty bad time.