Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sagebrush posted:

Glue on bed! Glue on bed!

I don't know why people are so opposed to the idea of using glue! It works every single time and will remove one factor that is preventing you from identifying other problems with the machine.

I think his problem is more than glue. You should get at least something sticking, even if for a minute or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I had this exact issue with one of my new e3v2s. Nothing would stick to the bed, even after a thorough degreasing.

Toss the glass bed and install a flex plate with smooth pei. The included glass bed is garbage.

A couple pages back I put together a small list of must have upgrades (<$100) for the Ender 3 V2.

Yes, it sucks to have to purchase additional upgrades for a stock machine to get it working right, but do you want to be printing or trouble shooting issues?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hamburlgar posted:

I had this exact issue with one of my new e3v2s. Nothing would stick to the bed, even after a thorough degreasing.

Toss the glass bed and install a flex plate with smooth pei. The included glass bed is garbage.

A couple pages back I put together a small list of must have upgrades (<$100) for the Ender 3 V2.

Yes, it sucks to have to purchase additional upgrades for a stock machine to get it working right, but do you want to be printing or trouble shooting issues?

maybe if everyone returned the defective printers instead of spending more money on them they'd have fixed this poo poo by now

e: but if I were going to spend $300 on a 3d printer I would have looked at other printers. if changing the tip and the glue don't let me print something I'm afraid this thing is destined for the amazon incinerator

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 1, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My only grief has been self inflicted (MMU2) or an easy fix (move heat break) so far with the cursed P-name printers :v:

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Wibla posted:

My only grief has been self inflicted (MMU2) or an easy fix (move heat break) so far with the cursed P-name printers :v:

Oh for sure. If you’re spending $800-$1200, buy a Prusa, with a doubt. But in the sub-$800 category, you’ll be hard pressed to find a printer with a 235x235 print bed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hamburlgar posted:

Oh for sure. If you’re spending $800-$1200, buy a Prusa, with a doubt. But in the sub-$800 category, you’ll be hard pressed to find a printer with a 235x235 print bed.

quote:

Why you should consider avoiding the Ender 3

The Ender 3 family of printers is very popular and was held in high regard from 2018 to early 2019.

However, Creality, the company behind it has since earned quite a bad reputation among the more experienced of the 3DP community due to their continuous decline in quality control, using cheaper components, bad customer support, and other shady marketing practices (including accusations of bribing youtubers for good reviews).
Today, printers from many competing brands are generally regarded as being better than the Ender series and have more bang for buck.

The 230€ (275 usd) Ender 3 v2 for instance which is supposed to be the best Ender 3 model is of worse build quality than even some 140€ (165 usd) models from their competitors.

Better and cheaper alternatives to the Ender 3 v2 include, among many others, the following models (keep in mind that at this price point all of them still have some compromises) :
• Artillery Genius (230€ - 275 usd)
• Sovol SV01 (200€ - 240 usd)
• Artillery Hornet (170€ - 200 usd)
• Anycubic Mega Zero 2.0 (160€ - 190 usd)
• Elegoo neptune 2 (150€ - 180 usd)
• Tronxy XY2-Pro (140€ - 165 usd)

What about that list of printers? The last one has a bigger print bed and auto-levelling, for example. I mean even if they're all janky and need $100 worth of parts as well, they all look like better deals than the e3v2

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 1, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Doctor Zero posted:

I think his problem is more than glue. You should get at least something sticking, even if for a minute or so.

This sounds exactly like what happened after the first time I cleaned my glass bed. It had been working fine but turned into Teflon when I washed it per the instructions. No amount of leveling, or even more fastidious cleaning, would get anything whatsoever to stick to it. A $1.98 can of hairspray completely fixed it and I haven't had any reason to look for a new plate since

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
If it’s curling straight out of the nozzle, another culprit could be a clogged nozzle, google “ender cold pull” and see if you get anywhere with that. It’s free to try!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I opened up the hotend and could see a clog, but it wouldn't come w/ several cold pulls so I ended up removing the nozzle, heating it to 260 and pushing the booger through. Everything passed visual inspection so I put it back together aaaand

https://i.imgur.com/Wn515g5.mp4

Is it maybe the nozzle itself at this point?

e: I levelled it and got a relatively promising start of the outline of a first layer out of it but then the bed farted and now at the outset of re-levelling I can't get the paper under it. Which has happened a lot. Is it possible that the undercarriage w/ the springs is just put together incorrectly or something? I keep getting dramatic changes in level out of nowhere. Is it possible that what this machine needs is a priest?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 2, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
That extrusion video looks okay to me. That bit of curl shouldn't be causing the filament not to stick.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

poverty goat posted:

I opened up the hotend and could see a clog, but it wouldn't come w/ several cold pulls so I ended up removing the nozzle, heating it to 260 and pushing the booger through. Everything passed visual inspection so I put it back together aaaand

e: I levelled it and got a relatively promising start of the outline of a first layer out of it but then the bed farted and now at the outset of re-levelling I can't get the paper under it. Which has happened a lot. Is it possible that the undercarriage w/ the springs is just put together incorrectly or something? I keep getting dramatic changes in level out of nowhere. Is it possible that what this machine needs is a priest?

Is this happening to you? (Read below.)

becoming posted:

Ender 3 v2 talk - I bought this because my Prusa was no drama; the Ender has delivered! I finally have it printing well and reliably, but I came across an issue that isn't mentioned a whole lot and I wanted to call it out here for others that may experience the same thing. I was having a hell of a time getting the bed leveling right and in going through the entire process meticulously, I discovered that my Z-limit switch was defective: about 10-20% of the time, it would trigger early, before/without physically clicking. If this were all of the time, it would at least be consistent; but it wasn't, and it was leading me to believe that my bed was going out of level. Here's another example of how this can go very wrong (and did):

- level bed on a Z-home where it triggers early
- test squares print fine because Z-home triggers early again
- start bigger print and Z-home triggers at full depth, so the nozzle drags on the print surface, scraping up the brand-new PEI sheet and clogging the nozzle

This issue isn't unheard of, but it seems it's not prevalent enough to make it into "watch out for this" lists.

How you can test - Set Z to 15mm, home it, repeat 10-20 times; if it ever triggers without audibly clicking, your printer is probably affected.

What you can do - Replacement switches are reasonably inexpensive, but in the meantime, I swapped my X-limit and Z-limit switches. Peel off the QR code sticker, pull those four screws (carefully, they secure the stepper too), and swap the switches. The X-home is less important since the switch malfunctioning here just means your print winds up about 0.1mm to the right of where you'd plotted it (only matters on prints that are using the entire width of the build surface); the Z-home is critical to all prints.

I'm glad I bought this hunk of poo poo, I have learned a lot and it's suuuuuuuper nice to have two printers going simultaneously, but I personally would have a hard time recommending it to anyone that didn't want to tinker and troubleshoot. I've had a blast but I can see how this would be frustrating to many (most?) people.

It could also be that you're triggering normally, triggering normally, and then the switch triggers high and you don't stick. But I would test your Z-limit switch, is my point. If it's defective, it's an easy swap, but until you know it's defective, the printer is a loving nightmare.

becoming fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 2, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

That would perfectly explain what just happened to me, wherein i went from a perfect level to all four corners too high across one failed 30 second print. But this thing is definitely going back to amazon before I peel off any stickers to get to the forbidden screws, or pay to replace the bed and switches to maybe discover some other poo poo that's wrong with it at the other side. If I'd bought it at a garage sale I'd fix it but this piece of poo poo was returned for good reason and has too many problems to let the return window slip by. Terrible product. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for putting up w/ this poo poo and not returning this garbage immediately.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 2, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Ender 3 Pro isn't as good as the V2 but if you're looking for something solid and very cheap and live near a Micro Center they have them for $100 for new customers when you sign up for an account. You have to buy them in store:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15308359-n...-1&src=featured

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Creality's absent quality control and the community's stockholm syndrome about it makes me want to never buy anything from them ever again

mewse
May 2, 2006

poverty goat posted:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for putting up w/ this poo poo and not returning this garbage immediately.

Ah yes all those posts about creality being 100% flawless, we should be ashamed of ourselves

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Enders are great if you're lucky or attach no value to your time.

In all honesty, it's why I recommend the Prusa Mini so regularly. The build volume is a bit of a bummer, but $350 all in is hard to beat for a workhorse.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah... nowhere have I, or anyone else, said the Creality machines are flawless. They’re anything but flawless. But their flaws are easily offset with a few easy to install upgrades, totaling maybe $350 including the machine itself ($250).

Or, you buy a Prusa ($750 + shipping + 10hrs assembly time) that has a comparable bed size. You get what you pay for.

I mean poo poo, if you’re upset that you might have to swap over a limit switch or Bowden coupler, 3D printing isn’t for you.

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 2, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you buy consumer electronics and they don't work out of the box you are insane for paying a dime out of pocket to fix the lovely product yourself. Have a little self respect & hold the manufacturer to account. It's unreasonable for a non-working printer to be what I paid for. I know I can fix it but returning the defective product is what I'm going to do while I can. lol

I'm certainly not going to risk voiding the return by peeling the stickers off

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Nice meltdown.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I tried to think of any other consumer good that regularly ships with huge defects the community pretends are fine, and all I could think of is a Tesla

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hamburlgar posted:

Or, you buy a Prusa ($750 + shipping + 10hrs assembly time) that has a comparable bed size. You get what you pay for.

Idk why people act like bed size is the important feature of a 3D printer. Periodically we get newbies in here posting their own research and comparing the prices and size of print area, and it always feels like someone sperging about whether this year's Corolla or Civic has more horsepower. Maybe it's because there aren't a whole lot of other specs to focus on? It completely misses the point of what's important in a printer, though.

The Creality beds are like, what, 3 cm larger? That's meaningless except in edge cases.

I almost never need to print anything that won't fit on a Prusa or Ender bed anyway.

In the cases that I do, I can easily design the parts to be glued or mechanically fastened together.

I can also ask myself if I really need to 3D print a 24" long stick or whatever, or if maybe there's a different process that is more appropriate for the part.

Also, the larger the bed, the more exaggerated the effects of poor calibration will be. There's no point having a 40cm bed if you can't use the outside third because it's constantly warped and can't be trued everywhere simultaneously.

You do get what you pay for with the Prusas: reliability, quality control, and support. We've rehashed the differences a billion times in this thread. For some people loving around with the printer is a hobby in itself, for others it's just a tool that is expected to work. Different target markets.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

Nice meltdown.

I mean I'm of the mind that yes, you'll always have to tinker, but the hot glue and tinned leads are enough to steer people away. The E3v2 is an incomplete product and that's not what most people sign up to buy when they spend that kind of money on something :shrug:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

poverty goat posted:

Creality's absent quality control and the community's stockholm syndrome about it makes me want to never buy anything from them ever again

I agree with the sentiment, but the one Creality printer I'd recommend is the 5/5 Pro. Literally the only upgrades I've done to it is use the same magnetic plates I use on my Anycubic Mega Zero 2 and print some support struts and its quickly become my favourite machine.

Even the communities behind the Creality stuff is way overhyped compared to the Anycubic ones.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I mean I'm of the mind that yes, you'll always have to tinker, but the hot glue and tinned leads are enough to steer people away. The E3v2 is an incomplete product and that's not what most people sign up to buy when they spend that kind of money on something :shrug:

I'm not afraid of tinkering, I've spent hours on this printer already and I'd be happy to build one completely from a kit if the value was right, but I have to insist that the box includes a full set of working parts

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Before buying you have to decide whether you want your hobby to be 3d printing, or tinkering with 3d printers. (no judgement)

withak fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 2, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My 5 plus has been great. A few issues along the way, a couple bolts on the hot end came loose, limit switch failed on one axis, but all pretty quick and inexpensive to fix.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I'm not afraid of tinkering, I've spent hours on this printer already and I'd be happy to build one completely from a kit if the value was right, but I have to insist that the box includes a full set of working parts

Didn't assume you were averse to it, just didn't think your reaction rose to a "meltdown" is all. Hopefully creality uses its recent successes to improve their products/business so it doesn't continue!

Apologies for being unclear

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

poverty goat posted:

I would change it. It’s not the worst I’ve seen, but it’s worth eliminating that variable.

poverty goat posted:

If you buy consumer electronics and they don't work out of the box you are insane for paying a dime out of pocket to fix the lovely product yourself. Have a little self respect & hold the manufacturer to account. It's unreasonable for a non-working printer to be what I paid for. I know I can fix it but returning the defective product is what I'm going to do while I can. lol

I'm certainly not going to risk voiding the return by peeling the stickers off

3d printers really aren’t ‘consumer electronics’ yet. Best get that out of your head right now. They are ‘hobbyist’ at best. Prusa is getting close, but each individual machine, filament roll/resin bottle, and printing environment throws too many variables into the mix to make it an appliance. I would liken them to a nice 268/386 PC from around 1990. There are some you can just buy and use out of the box, but most of them require a level of knowledge to really get working properly.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

3d printers really aren’t ‘consumer electronics’ yet. Best get that out of your head right now. They are ‘hobbyist’ at best. Prusa is getting close, but each individual machine, filament roll/resin bottle, and printing environment throws too many variables into the mix to make it an appliance. I would liken them to a nice 268/386 PC from around 1990. There are some you can just buy and use out of the box, but most of them require a level of knowledge to really get working properly.

I'm drawing the line though at the parts included being fully defective out of the box, with longtime defects the company has been aware of and neglected to fix.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Doctor Zero posted:

I feel like this needs to be reinforced over and over and over again. 3d printing is an activity where you can potentially waste hours of your time because a roll of filament showed up slightly wet despite being in a nice, perfectly vacuum-sealed pouch. I know I've been lucky with my printers, but I've wasted drastically more time due to software issues or filament consistency problems than I ever have because of actual printer defects.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Imo if your new $250 electronics don't work at all out of the box the right thing to do is never to void the warranty trying to fix it yourself at your own cost. But maybe that's just me lol

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

3D printers are tools, not consumer electronics, and like all tools they require setup, tuning, and maintenance.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My printer did not come with a complete set of working parts and no amount of tuning will make it usable without replacing them

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Aren’t you talking about an open box/bezos refurbished product anyways?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

Aren’t you talking about an open box/bezos refurbished product anyways?

Advertised as usable

Tbh it was just listed as open box, in new packaging but it has clearly been assembled, disassembled and returned before, yeah. But it wasn't cheap enough to have to refurbish it myself.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Advertised as usable

Tbh it was just listed as open box, in new packaging but it has clearly been assembled, disassembled and returned before, yeah. But it wasn't cheap enough to have to refurbish it myself.

There’s issues with creality QC and many obvious flaws with ender 3/pro/V2 out of the box but it seems like your gripes should be pointed more at rocket boy than hobbyist 3D printing goons in this case

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

There’s issues with creality QC and many obvious flaws with ender 3/pro/V2 out of the box but it seems like your gripes should be pointed more at rocket boy than hobbyist 3D printing goons in this case

You'll never convince me that creality is cool and good for continuing to ship printers with useless warped beds after the problems came to light. If nerds had held them to account like literally any tool or computer supplier would be for shipping defective equipment maybe they'd have had reason to get their poo poo together.

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

poverty goat posted:

You'll never convince me that creality is cool and good for continuing to ship printers with useless warped beds after the problems came to light. If nerds had held them to account like literally any tool or computer supplier would be for shipping defective equipment maybe they'd have had reason to get their poo poo together.

Somebody tried to hold them accountable and send their defective machine back. You decided to buy it and then throw a tizzy. :shrug:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

YouTubeTekReviewer posted:

Somebody tried to hold them accountable and send their defective machine back. You decided to buy it and then throw a tizzy. :shrug:

After 3 days of the community telling me these problems are normal, have been around for years and I should just pay to fix them. You guys would have told the other guy to keep it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nurse!! Meltdown in aisle 3!