Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grouchio posted:

So what was the problem with Gossip Girl again?

it didn't have abbott and costello in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alaois posted:

it didn't have abbott and costello in it

Costello: Well then who slept with Chuck?

Abbott: Yes.

Costello: I mean the lady's name.

Abbott: Who.

Costello: The woman who slept with Chuck.

Costello: The woman he slept with.

Costello: The girl that slept...

Abbott: Who slept with Chuck!

Costello: I'm asking YOU who slept with Chuck.

Abbott: That's the woman's name.

Costello: That's who's name?

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That's it.

Costello: That's who?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I remember exactly one character's name from that show and I hope that was it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

christmas boots posted:

:dadjoke:

I appreciate this post.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I mean also Lana del Rey

I don't quite understand this I am afraid!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

:dadjoke:

I appreciate this post.

Same, it is very good.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

christmas boots posted:

Oh I see what your problem is! The woman’s name is Hu and you’re confusing it with who. You’re probably not used to that name as it’s Chinese. So for clarity Susan Hu slept with Chuck.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Oh I see what your problem is! The woman’s name is Hu and you’re confusing it with who. You’re probably not used to that name as it’s Chinese. So for clarity Susan Hu slept with Chuck.

I should never have saved you from those seals!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loosely recall that someone once did a Whos On First variant using actual names of contemporary baseball players.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I don't know Hu and my name's not Susan

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I loosely recall that someone once did a Whos On First variant using actual names of contemporary baseball players.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Slovin and Allen on their Comedy Central Presents special. When I was younger, I thought it was the greatest thing i ever saw on stand up special

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I remember this making the rounds on Facebook a while ago, but it was surrounded by Boomer Borders

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I picked up the Universal Classic Monsters collection because I had never actually seen the original Universal Monster movies. Dracula... is kind of a hot mess, if I'm being honest. The plot is almost incoherent without reading the original novel, entire weeks will pass between scenes with the only hint being a quick mention of something from the previous scene being "Weeks ago", and they start the Vampire Lucy plot, and even show her as a vampire, but... forget to resolve it. I know that the movie had a very troubled production, but it really has not aged well. I have also seen Frankenstein and The Mummy, and both aged MUCH better (well, okay, except for one part in The Mummy where a character is outraged that the Egyptian government won't let them take the loot from the tombs back to Great Britain, and wanted it to stay in the museum in Cairo. Then again, the guy came off as a dick, so... maybe The Mummy was well ahead of its time in that regard?)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Watch the Spanish version of Dracula that was filmed on the same sets pararel to the more famous version.

It's got a lot of the same problems since it's basically the same film with the same scenes but with Spanish speaking actors but makes up for it with all these little stylistic touches that were intended to one up the English version as the Spanish crew would watch the dailies from the English version and try to think of ways to add movement or style to each shot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I saw a pic of a cable line running through (what looked like) a sewage pipe to me in the OSHA thread, and it made me wonder:

How well did Jim Carrey’s Cable Guy age? The description on IMDb calls it a black comedy, but it was also made in 1996 so I have some serious doubts about the “comedy” part of that equation.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
It has Jim Carrey in it so I have some serious doubts about the “comedy” part of that equation.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This isn't so much media aging badly as much as me aging badly, but as a kid, when I would read the TV listings and see something listed as a "Black Comedy" I thought that meant it'd be a film like "Friday".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Icon Of Sin posted:

I saw a pic of a cable line running through (what looked like) a sewage pipe to me in the OSHA thread, and it made me wonder:

How well did Jim Carrey’s Cable Guy age? The description on IMDb calls it a black comedy, but it was also made in 1996 so I have some serious doubts about the “comedy” part of that equation.

It’s imo one of the funniest movies he’s ever done. It’s amazing and I still laugh. I don’t know what hasn’t aged. The film is about two rough characters, Jim being way more deranged. The ending is kind of sweet despite the rest of the film.

Idk it still cracks me up and I quote it all the time.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I remember liking The Cable Guy when I watched it 20 years ago but it definitely was a very different movie from the Ace Ventura movies that Carry was known for at that time.

I don't think the concept really aged poorly, guy is obsessed with media to the point it horribly affects his personality, just if you made it now it would be a guy obsessed with online influencers instead of TV shows

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

duck trucker posted:

I remember liking The Cable Guy when I watched it 20 years ago but it definitely was a very different movie from the Ace Ventura movies that Carry was known for at that time.

I don't think the concept really aged poorly, guy is obsessed with media to the point it horribly affects his personality, just if you made it now it would be a guy obsessed with online influencers instead of TV shows

The Streamer Guy
"Somebody doxx me!"

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Has anyone watched Kubrick's adaptation of Lolita? I read the book recently and enjoy Kubrick, but the tagline for the poster is "a tale of forbidden love" and has the 14-year-old actress wearing heart sunglasses and suggestively sucking a lollipop. So it just feels like they miss the point of the novel and went straight to "sexy pre-teen seduces man" instead of "normal young girl kidnapped and raped over the course of years leaving irreparable damage and suffering"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So it just feels like they miss the point of the novel and went straight to "sexy pre-teen seduces man" instead of "normal young girl kidnapped and raped over the course of years leaving irreparable damage and suffering"

This is not the point of the novel.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I don't mean to give that as the "point" of the book. I just mean it's a novel with a very sensitive subject that even some contemporary readers took as a riveting tale of love and the poster sets off red flags.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Oct 2, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Has anyone watched Kubrick's adaptation of Lolita? I read the book recently and enjoy Kubrick, but the tagline for the poster is "a tale of forbidden love" and has the 14-year-old actress wearing heart sunglasses and suggestively sucking a lollipop. So it just feels like they miss the point of the novel and went straight to "sexy pre-teen seduces man" instead of "normal young girl kidnapped and raped over the course of years leaving irreparable damage and suffering"

There’s a very good Lolita Podcast that goes into the representations of the main character in other media, and it’s both fascinating and sickening. Highly recommended, but in the same way Requiem for a Dream comes highly recommended (is it anymore? I think it aged into mediocrity, personally, but I haven’t spent much time thinking about it lately.)

Tl;dr on the podcast is that interpretations of Lolita are a symptom of a society that sees young women as extremely fuckable, even when it’s obvious the character is being abused. I’m too far from expertise in the subject to try and break it down any further, esp when the podcast exists and did such a good job.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I don't mean to give that as the "point" of the book. I just mean it's a novel with a very sensitive subject that even some contemporary readers took as a riveting tale of love and the poster sets off red flags.

Not even close to the worst thing,

quote:

In 1959, novelist Robertson Davies wrote that the theme of Lolita is "not the corruption of an innocent child by a cunning adult, but the exploitation of a weak adult by a corrupt child. This is no pretty theme, but it is one with which social workers, magistrates and psychiatrists are familiar." [/29]

There’s not a yikes big enough.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There’s a very good Lolita Podcast that goes into the representations of the main character in other media, and it’s both fascinating and sickening.
I was gonna suggest this! It's super loving good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Not even close to the worst thing,

There’s not a yikes big enough.

Tbh im not sure how anyone could read lolita and think this lol, hh is a piece of poo poo from the beginning to end

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone remember The Weekend Web? It was a frontpage feature where goons would screenshot funny/weird/horrifying posts from various other forums.

Anyway I bring it up because I read Lolita a few years ago and was kind of shocked how closely Humbert Humbert's MO matched some of the posts from some pedophile forums that were featured there. So I guess that means the novel has aged well?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh im not sure how anyone could read lolita and think this lol, hh is a piece of poo poo from the beginning to end

Because these days we take for granted the idea that people in charge of children could or might be up to no good, but 65 years ago there was exactly the same proportion of abuse happening but the idea was never considered out loud. So much so that an author felt completely comfortable penning an article that doesn’t even consider a different proposition than ‘all child professionals understand that 12 year old girls seduce men all the time’.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cable Guy is fantastic and well worth multiple viewings.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

There’s a very good Lolita Podcast that goes into the representations of the main character in other media, and it’s both fascinating and sickening. Highly recommended, but in the same way Requiem for a Dream comes highly recommended (is it anymore? I think it aged into mediocrity, personally, but I haven’t spent much time thinking about it lately.)

Tl;dr on the podcast is that interpretations of Lolita are a symptom of a society that sees young women as extremely fuckable, even when it’s obvious the character is being abused. I’m too far from expertise in the subject to try and break it down any further, esp when the podcast exists and did such a good job.

It's kind of amazing because the whole book is pretty explicitly about reading around Humbert's linguistic charm, so what we have is several decades of people taking him at face value. Part of the issue with the Kubrick film is that it doesn't really translate that relationship between the reader and the narrator, because everything that happens in the film seems to happen literally and explicitly. It's why I'm glad we never got and probably will never get a film of Catcher in the Rye, because once you remove the act of translation between Holden and the reader, you're just left with a miserable little kid having a horrible time.

I think the best way to adapt Lolita would be as a solo/stand-up act (Louis CK's jokes about public masturbation come to mind). Weirdly enough, there was a musical version made in the early 70s that I think kinda works really well for that reason, because it's like Cabaret, where Humbert is the emcee and the music makes it come across as black comedy, until it unravels and just becomes a nightmare horror.

The worst way Lolita has aged I think is in its use of female suffering as (quote-unquote) entertainment, which has been a pretty consistent topic of discussion the past few years.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Link please! I love me some book/social talk.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Because these days we take for granted the idea that people in charge of children could or might be up to no good, but 65 years ago there was exactly the same proportion of abuse happening but the idea was never considered out loud. So much so that an author felt completely comfortable penning an article that doesn’t even consider a different proposition than ‘all child professionals understand that 12 year old girls seduce men all the time’.

this was the defense presented in a child sex case in france like 5 years ago and they won

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean France loves their pedophiles and always has

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CharlestheHammer posted:

les mods savaient

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

There's even a famous novel about a French pedophile iirc.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mr.Chill posted:

Link please! I love me some book/social talk.

here u go

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mandatory lesbian posted:

I did the first time I read it, though to be fair I was like 16. Humbert is such a clever, quick-witted character that it is possible for a reader to be taken in by him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HH isn't even that smart (it's been a while since I've read Lolita, but I think it's at least heavily implied that he couldn't hack it in Europe and his career success in America was mostly charlatanism), just very articulate, which is part of the point -- a major theme of the novel is HH taking advantage of American preconceptions about "sophisticated, intellectual" Europeans and "seductive" teenage girls. It just turns out that the same preconceptions colored people's interpretations of the novel, predictably enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rochallor posted:

I did the first time I read it, though to be fair I was like 16. Humbert is such a clever, quick-witted character that it is possible for a reader to be taken in by him.

Nabakov does the unreliable narrator pretty well; Pale Fire has a delusioned and obsessed narrator too.

Regards Cable Guy, I haven't rewatched it since the first time in the cinema, other than Carrey's Jefferson Airplane karaoke, which is pretty amazing.