Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Is there any difference between getting the stars that match your current culture vs getting 3 other stars? Maybe a bit more fame or something? Otherwise is there any lasting benefit between getting 7 stars and ascending immediately, vs trying to get all the stars of every era? I mean other then getting access to the next era of district and the unique unit of course.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just the fame as far as I can tell. And seeing how fames the name of the game it seems to be worth it

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You get more fame score from grabbing stars of the same culture affinity as you. Naturally this means expansionist cultures get the short end of the stick while agrarian, industrialist, and scientist cultures just get extra fame score naturally.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is there any difference between getting the stars that match your current culture vs getting 3 other stars? Maybe a bit more fame or something? Otherwise is there any lasting benefit between getting 7 stars and ascending immediately, vs trying to get all the stars of every era? I mean other then getting access to the next era of district and the unique unit of course.

The main lasting benefit is the ability to choose the best available culture. It's generally better to wait around and grab as many extra stars as possible, unless you have a chance to become the Khmer.

Have the developers said anything about what they plan to patch? Because balance is an issue.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

H13 posted:

Has there been a recent patch which has cranked the aggression levels up to 10? I've suddenly been struggling to get my civs off the ground because of early war-declaring by civs who have been making GBS threads out a vaguely suspicious amount of units....

When you beat the game you can look at the graph for military units for the AI. It is obvious that they get free units. Or at least used to, I haven't played the game in a while but when the game was released you could see how they got ~8-12 units for free very early on.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H13 posted:

Has there been a recent patch which has cranked the aggression levels up to 10? I've suddenly been struggling to get my civs off the ground because of early war-declaring by civs who have been making GBS threads out a vaguely suspicious amount of units....

I wondered this but apart from free units it did seem more like the ai (correctly) assuming I had almost zero military and trying to steamroll me which tbh would have worked if I hadn't save scummed a bit

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The game gives both you and the AI free intel on the other players' military strength through the diplomacy window. If you have no military, the AI will know, and they will take advantage of that info if their personality is even a little aggressive. Same as Civ. The best way to avoid constantly being attacked is to build a defense force.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm in a game on the second highest difficulty now, and the Harappans are running away with it due to just ascending every era. I didn't think the AI would do that, but here we are. I just got to Khmer and hopefully will be able to slingshot past them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've never seen an AI ascend, but I guess it comes down to their personalities. Maybe the "fame" personality ascends every time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just played a game where every civ apparently spawned in a territory adjacent to each other, including me (that's where they chose to build their capitals, anyway). absolute chaos. I settled in a corner like a dumbass and got immediately boxed in

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just played a game where every civ apparently spawned in a territory adjacent to each other, including me (that's where they chose to build their capitals, anyway). absolute chaos. I settled in a corner like a dumbass and got immediately boxed in

Time to pick a militarist culture next era.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

H13 posted:

I know the September 7th patch was a noticeable bump in difficulty for me - before it, I won multiple humankind level difficulty games in a row, after, none.

Dunno about more recent updates.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm in a game on the second highest difficulty now, and the Harappans are running away with it due to just ascending every era. I didn't think the AI would do that, but here we are. I just got to Khmer and hopefully will be able to slingshot past them.

I came in 2nd on that game even though I was well ahead of everyone in power/research/etc, because Semiramis picked Harappans and stayed there the whole game. I was short by about 2K fame. Found out Semiramis is an Expert AI with the "Stubborn" trait, which specifically states they keep their first culture throughout the whole game.

I guess Harappans would be a good one to stick with, all that food lends itself to more military which they did do a number on the other players. More pop, more fame, more influence as well. I might try that and break myself out of the industry-only runs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Does anyone use the g2g personas uploaded by others? If so, is there any that yall like with
  • A real, non internet account looking name
  • Not the stock appearances
  • With the stats actually filled out but not
    • Megalopolis
    • Vauban
    • Any of the Industry boosting ones

Really wish they would just let you make rival personas with the poo poo you unlocked

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah the weird half-baked feeling personas combined with no "random" button makes setting up games kinda annoying. especially yeah when half the online ones are like KumKing39543

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

World Famous W posted:

Does anyone use the g2g personas uploaded by others? If so, is there any that yall like with
  • A real, non internet account looking name
  • Not the stock appearances
  • With the stats actually filled out but not
    • Megalopolis
    • Vauban
    • Any of the Industry boosting ones

Really wish they would just let you make rival personas with the poo poo you unlocked

Enoprty, Pellos, Thalassicus

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Thanks, I went ahead and added them to my roster

'Darubatsu' I guess is the only one I've found just skimming through it that I keep using. Kind of each of my game's bond villian

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

World Famous W posted:

Thanks, I went ahead and added them to my roster

'Darubatsu' I guess is the only one I've found just skimming through it that I keep using. Kind of each of my game's bond villian

I'm playing with that guy next. he really is a supervillain. Suit, facial scar, bonuses to building missiles and an urge to cause nuclear apocalypse!

Edit:vvvv that sure would be a better way than having to make a g2g account and browsing through a hundred Turd Fergusons with a bunch of stacked Production traits

Half of Dracula fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 2, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope eventually there’s a mod or patch that lets you go full chaos mode and play with a group of randomly generated avatars. And by this I mean appearance, too, I want to go to war with the monster factory

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

just started a new game, a super militarist AI persona runs into me on turn 2, dies, respawns with a 4-stack Tribe, kills me, then I respawn with a 4-stack Tribe. Ok.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Haha I've been wondering what happens if someone gets killed in the Neolithic. That's dumb!!!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That does kind of make the Neolithic period pretty tacked on, if you can’t knock or be knocked out of the game during it.

The only stakes are in how soon you can get out of it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LonsomeSon posted:

That does kind of make the Neolithic period pretty tacked on, if you can’t knock or be knocked out of the game during it.

The only stakes are in how soon you can get out of it.

That's not true. You can grow population in the Neolithic much more quickly than in the Ancient Era, so it's often worthwhile to stick around to get more scouts. And the neolithic affinities can be a big deal as well.

It would be funny to find a Mammoth immediately and kamikaze into it to get four free hunting parties.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

That's not true. You can grow population in the Neolithic much more quickly than in the Ancient Era, so it's often worthwhile to stick around to get more scouts. And the neolithic affinities can be a big deal as well.

It would be funny to find a Mammoth immediately and kamikaze into it to get four free hunting parties.

Fair, however that doesn’t make it feel less tacked on to me, just changes the wording to “the only stakes are how players are leaving the Neolithic relative to each other, as opposed to all of that plus actual survival.”

Seems like if the goal is to have everyone at least start the settled period of history there ought to be a less jarring way to do it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The big point, at least imo, is to give way more freedom when it comes to placing down your first city so you don't just have to accept where you spawn in.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah I’m working on re-framing it to myself as, like, the equivalent of a match-beginning invulnerability period from a fighting game.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

My last game I didn't realize they kept respawning and wasted so much time playing whack-a-mole with one of the AIs thinking I could eliminate them and have a continent to myself.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

I knew you respawned if you died but I didn't know it gave you four units. Dying on your first turn would surely be optimal, then.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Half of Dracula posted:

I knew you respawned if you died but I didn't know it gave you four units. Dying on your first turn would surely be optimal, then.

Homo sapiens used this strat IRL to outcompete all the other early humans

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

LonsomeSon posted:

Homo sapiens used this strat IRL to outcompete all the other early humans

The Neolithic Era should be preceded by a Paleolithic Era where you're battling other hominids. Or, ah, absorbing their traits.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We keep going down this path and we're going to end up with a sequel to spore

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ainsley McTree posted:

We keep going down this path and we're going to end up with a sequel to spore
Will it be good this time?

that drat game was the one to teach me never follow the development hype

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're wondering whether or not going kamikaze on a mammoth on your first turn will result in 4 free tribesmen?

It absolutely does and it's fantastic.

However, sometimes it'll just replace your tribesperson with no penalty. Which means on your next turn you can kill that Mammoth with your one tribesperson and get a free tribesperson by turn 2 and +20 influence.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

It's not like this one interaction is the most or only wacky part in the game, but it sure feels the most impactful to see my entire "empire" quadruple in size on turn 3 by accomplishing the feat of Dying

Thread vote: what kind of bullshit civ do I play first instead of just being Harappan

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Egyptians or Zhou are who I pick when I can't get Harappans. But Olmec for the hell of it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

For the first time I've seen a neighbouring ideology actually influence mine (probably because it was a region I'd conquered) and this just gives me a shitload of free civics because there's no cost to accept them and I hadn't bothered actually buying any yet myself. -50 stability or a free civic hmm let me think about that.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

For the first time I've seen a neighbouring ideology actually influence mine (probably because it was a region I'd conquered) and this just gives me a shitload of free civics because there's no cost to accept them and I hadn't bothered actually buying any yet myself. -50 stability or a free civic hmm let me think about that.

I never spend influence on civics after the ancient era and just get free ones from my neighbors. I have no idea what cultural affinity does but it granting tens of thousands of influence worth of civics is crazy good.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It always seems like a punishment to me cause I do spend influence on civics and then it wants me to change them!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrot
Jun 17, 2003

The frustrated cannibal... Threw up his hands!

Clanpot Shake posted:

I never spend influence on civics after the ancient era and just get free ones from my neighbors. I have no idea what cultural affinity does but it granting tens of thousands of influence worth of civics is crazy good.

Accepting gets you the civic, but will move your society ideology slider with it.

Refusing the change will cost you the -50 stability for 10(?) turns and can trigger a grievance against you.

Having similar/dissimilar ideologies will effect how easily you can establish treaties and can effect your war support generation/loss. There are also various bonuses in game that count the # of territories in your sphere of influence.