Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cephas posted:

the NEW lgbt manga/anime thread - I'm sure that even someone with a discerning vagina like you will like this.
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

a good pagetopper

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

me gusta

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The mangaka that did the one above about the sales rep and the researcher also did one about a nearby gas station.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/my_best_friend_who_i_love_fell_completely_in_love_with_my_vtuber_self

ganbare, not vtuber...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
What's the terminology Japanese usually use to refer to trans peoeple? I've read that okama used to be commonly used in Japan, but nowadays is considered a slur. Is the term otokonoko also offensive, or does it depend on the context?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It varies a lot. Okama is not automatically a slur, many gay men, crossdressing men, and transwomen use it jokingly. And some older gay men see it as crude but preferable to the wishywashyness or assumed westernization of western terms. However, its not the kind of thing youd call someone you dont know or use in a catchall sense.

Otokonoko literally means 'male daughter', and is mostly used to refer to male crossdressers who have a cute and young aesthetic. Of course, some trans people use it too, but thats a whole other can of worms. Its generally not seen as offensive on its own, but it can be seen as very inaccurate when applied to trans women. A good analog would be 'femboy.'

There are a variety of terms similar to okama but for other demographics, such as onabe for butch women - though that term originates in lgbt discourse, unlike okama.

If you're looking for the most palatable and broadest terms, the truth is theyre the same words as english. 'Transgender' is used as a loan word frequently. Male to Female/female to male have also fallen out of favor a bit in the west but are still commonly used in Japan.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 30, 2021

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Covering different ground but also useful to know, is "X-gender", which is most closely analogous to non-binary or agender. Yuhki Kamatani, author of Shimanami Tasogare (which is great), is x-gender for instance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, and a lot of xgender people use 'male-to-x' or 'female-to-x' which is terminology that ive never seen western nb people use.

incidentally kamatani also wrote nabari no ou, which is a shonen action manga but does get into gender issues a bit too. its pretty solid.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Did the last thread not like Utena? Because I thought it was neat as hell.

The show is obviously really queer but at a time when an actual gay relationship manga/anime would probably have a hard time being published so widely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

utenas okay but i feel it gets a bit hyped up for things it doesnt quite do, like a lot of the explicitly lesbian stuff is mostly in the movie rather than the tv series. its a good series with interesting points but i feel like in the tv series the lesbian romance angle isnt exactly a main focus

and idk, even in the 90s there was stuff like cardcaptor sakura, sailor moon, onii-sama e, etc. you can argue they all have their own flaws (minus one ep where sakura has a crush on a female teacher the gay characters in sakura and sailor moon are mostly side characters, onii-sama e goes completely off the rails with that stuff in the last few eps, theres a couple eps of sailor moon that are weird about the gayness) but they're also much more explicit and focused on it than tv utena when it does come up. utena's cool and part of a larger push but its just part of said larger push, not an island.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Fair points and I agree.

Also artwork (someone else's obviously)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feliday Melody posted:

The show is obviously really queer but at a time when an actual gay relationship manga/anime would probably have a hard time being published so widely.

i love utena. the black rose arc loving rules. it gets some push back these days because for the longest time it was treated as the ur lesbian anime and ikuhara being put on a weird pedestal. like juri is cool but overall when it comes to gay content there is like better choices. so people coming to the show for that can sometimes get disappointed. but what really makes utena work is the whole. its funny and the duels are evocative. nanami is epic.

im not up on my history but the 90s was when yuri stuff started hitting the main stream more, like the oniisama e adapation was like 92, uranus and neptune was a thing, and maria-sama kinda comes in on the tail end

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i really liked utena as a kid and don't like it quite as much now. except the music, that just gets better every year lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the original wonder egg

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Truga posted:

i really liked utena as a kid and don't like it quite as much now. except the music, that just gets better every year lol

I was surprised watching it for the first time a few months ago. The scene where she walks up the stairs

"Is that metal? This is metal! This is rad as hell!"

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 30, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the combo of a middle school choir over metal tracks with wacky lyrics is insanely good imo

and then halfway in add some industrial to the mix. why not right? lmao

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they were a middle schooler choir? poo poo. mine sang yellow submarine

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

im gay

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

hi gay, im your nb parent

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Feliday Melody posted:

I watched it last year and thought it was good but not enough gay

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
yeah I watched it a while ago not knowing about that reputation at all and thought it was gay but not like incredibly so. i liked it tho

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
utena is gay in an apophatic kind of way where it's sometimes actively gay but more often relentlessly negative about heterosexuality

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i feel like, utena is queer existentialism, and the reason it's not on-screen gayer is because its whole deal is about examining enforced patriarchal cis-heteronormativity. like, growing up in an environment where being gay was a serious threat to your life and your place in society, so it had to be kept under wraps--that's the kind of mental space that Utena is working in.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Thuryl posted:

relentlessly negative about heterosexuality

As one should. :hmmyes:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

its only been 4 chapters but i love this series

in other news
trying out marriage with my female friend updated
i want to see her cry has finished up at 43 chapters

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

would love to try out marriage with my female friend

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
https://twitter.com/studio_zombieSS/status/1443948261174235151

gorls

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/studio_zombieSS/status/1389586314236895233

zombie gorls

also i learned that the lady who was in charge of the script for akuma no riddle's anime adaptation wrote ai and junko's episodes for revenge which made me very happy

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 2, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Aurora posted:

would love to try out marriage with my female friend

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

:emptyquote:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Once more into the Zone, the last good fight I'll ever known

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Disaster

Also a pretty abrupt chapter cutoff

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/miraongchua/vampire-blood-drive

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah i loved vlad love

i was wondering if this was by the roadqueen artist/author and yeah it is, nice

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aurora posted:

yeah i loved vlad love

i was wondering if this was by the roadqueen artist/author and yeah it is, nice

Oh this is the same person as Battle Princess Peony

Roadqueen looks like fun but it's not listed on the gumroad or itch stores and I cannot be arsed to gently caress around with Seven Seas' DRM stuff :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/542796998/boyish2-butchbutch-yuri-anthology

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Speaking of gay kickstarters

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160939828/lets-dub-the-dirty-pair-tv-series

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

snuz have you watched the new capital h halloween stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, I enjoyed it, I am interested in the new one coming out. Its not as good as the og halloween but its a fun follow up.
I watch all five Final Destinations movies recently, really fun series. 4 is lovely but everything else had its graces.