Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

Spiders eat the actual annoying bugs while keeping to themselves. Do not squish them please.

Also always tell the nice teacher that they made an impression.

Goon: "You may not remember me, but your teaching skills made me the man I am today"
The teacher falls on his knees, tears streaming down his face "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can undo what's been done to you"

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Know what kind of animals don’t commonly carry and transmit bloodborne pathogens to humans and also rely on many of the animals which do as their sole food source? Spiders.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spiders rule, as long as they don't drop in my face or lay traps for me by spinning webs right across where I'm supposed to walk.

Eat all the flies and mosquitoes, just don't get in my face, please.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

KozmoNaut posted:

Spiders rule, as long as they don't drop in my face or lay traps for me by spinning webs right across where I'm supposed to walk.

Eat all the flies and mosquitoes, just don't get in my face, please.

This is kinda my viewpoint as well. If they keep to themselves they are left alone.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Tearing down its web is a good way to let a spider know in terms it can understand that it’s not a good idea to build a web there

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Tearing down its web is a good way to let a spider know in terms it can understand that it’s not a good idea to build a web there

Although some of them just do not get the hint, c.f. the extremely ambitious orb weaver that spent three weeks trying to spin a web across my front door

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Although some of them just do not get the hint, c.f. the extremely ambitious orb weaver that spent three weeks trying to spin a web across my front door

In my own defense, I said "can" not "will," not all spiders are smart!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

"If we pull this off, we'll eat like kings!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonsomeSon posted:

Know what kind of animals don’t commonly carry and transmit bloodborne pathogens to humans and also rely on many of the animals which do as their sole food source? Spiders.

This is also true of man‐eating tigers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Another animal I would never kill if I found it in my house!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I'm gonna squish any spider I find, I'd rather deal with the bugs they eat :colbert:

:mods:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Byzantine posted:

"If we pull this off, we'll eat like kings!"

That one always really confused Young Me. Surely they'd want to leave the web where it is? Pulling it off the slide would just be a waste!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Well, if I ever survive a tiger attack, at least I won't have to worry about blood-borne pathogens. So there's that.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Spider outside I say hi as I pass by
Spider in house gets squished so it don't crawl in my mouth

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
If you kill something because it's inconveniencing you or because you think it's "gross" you're an rear end in a top hat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wifi Toilet posted:

Spider in house gets squished so it don't crawl in my mouth

This is a myth! Stop perpetuating this harmful lie!

statistically speaking people are far more likely to crawl into a spiders mouth while it sleeps, rather then the otherway around!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

packetmantis posted:

If you kill something because it's inconveniencing you or because you think it's "gross" you're an rear end in a top hat.

What would you describe a naked dude crawling on the wall of your bedroom as?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A good start.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Thursday

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Y'all need to listen to your dad

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A Jeff Goldblum movie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most spiders generally look for three anchor points to attach their webs to, so that's why they tend to build them in the corners of rooms or doorways because they make the right shape.

If you want to deter spiders from living in your house, simply avoid having any corners.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

*spinning my web, anchored to non-Euclidean geometries* the best thing to do with spiders is allow them to enter your body, so that you may Become with them

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nice try, Georg, I'm not buying it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

packetmantis posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Welcome to my spherehouse, where every object is perfectly round

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
If it's got a carapace it's gotta go

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Most spiders generally look for three anchor points to attach their webs to, so that's why they tend to build them in the corners of rooms or doorways because they make the right shape.

If you want to deter spiders from living in your house, simply avoid having any corners.

The legendary Spiders of Tindalos.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Finally we know who killed the Dymaxion House. Big Spider strikes again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/maz_jovanovich/status/1444524436548296705?s=21

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Better than China's "gently caress you, you're all Beijing time" I guess

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

ikanreed posted:

Better than China's "gently caress you, you're all Beijing time" I guess

Until some timezone wizard comes to explain why Australia's timezones go clockwise, I'm going to say this is way worse.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Until some timezone wizard comes to explain why Australia's timezones go clockwise, I'm going to say this is way worse.

Coriolis effect

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Coriolis effect

As a physics graduate, gently caress you but also lmao.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As a physics graduate, gently caress you but also lmao.

*re-arranges ur time zones based on the weak force*

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gonna add this to my growing "reasons to abolish time" filing cabinet.

It's just more trouble than it's worth.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

How else are timezones supposed to go

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Gonna add this to my growing "reasons to abolish time" filing cabinet.

It's just more trouble than it's worth.

I keep a couple links handy for talking about abolishing time zones, but that's not what you wrote.

So, no comment here. Please proceed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vavrek posted:

I keep a couple links handy for talking about abolishing time zones, but that's not what you wrote.

So, no comment here. Please proceed.

The thing that breaks me is trying to imagine how time zones will work if we ever put colonies on Mars.

For the Moon, it's easy. It's 29 Earth days per day/night cycle, so you're going to have to use artificial light. Use GMT or Beijing time or Congo time or whatever. Indoors, the lights will follow that time standard, and you can put adaptive tint on windows or something to keep people's cycle from getting too messed up.

But for Mars, days are 24 hours, 37 minutes. People are gonna want to find a way to just make it work. The simplest answer I can think of is to speed up the planet's rotation. We're in over our heads with this whole time business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

My assumption has always been that the dolphins will teach us how to handle this poo poo TBH