Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The N64 was during a very fractured era of gaming. Most people went the NES->-SNES->N64 route and for them the N64 was revolutionary but I still distinctly remember showing my console owning friends some of the poo poo that was going down on PC that they had no idea about that blew their loving minds. TIE Fighter, Quake 1's Team Fortress online with broadband, Total Annihilation or Warcraft 2 over LAN, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I guess I play tested Tetrisphere , for the then 'Ultra 64', on one of the Silicon Graphics Indy developer machines at H2O, before it was released and got my rear end kicked by one of the senior developers.

Fun fact, all the music for Tetrisphere was written with Fasttracker on a Windows PC.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

nvidiagouge posted:

The N64 was during a very fractured era of gaming. Most people went the NES->-SNES->N64 route and for them the N64 was revolutionary but I still distinctly remember showing my console owning friends some of the poo poo that was going down on PC that they had no idea about that blew their loving minds. TIE Fighter, Quake 1's Team Fortress online with broadband, Total Annihilation or Warcraft 2 over LAN, etc.

this is really the thing. PC gaming was kind of inaccessable because of how expensive a PC was at the time compared to a console. I remember asking my parents for a Voodoo 2 graphics card and they just didn't understand at all what this thing was or why I wanted this 300 dollar piece of computer equipment when out computer was already very expensive and did thing just fine. For a lot of people, Goldeneye was their first 3D fps. But I had some friends who weren't rich, their dads were just huge nerds with ham radios and poo poo like that, and they had good computers with good games and that's where I learned about PC gaming. I remember watching my friends dad playing Ultima online and was like "no loving way" at the whole thing.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
N64 wrestling games may have been the peak of that genre in relation to availability and utilization of technology, though.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

this is really the thing. PC gaming was kind of inaccessable because of how expensive a PC was at the time compared to a console. I remember asking my parents for a Voodoo 2 graphics card and they just didn't understand at all what this thing was or why I wanted this 300 dollar piece of computer equipment when out computer was already very expensive and did thing just fine. For a lot of people, Goldeneye was their first 3D fps. But I had some friends who weren't rich, their dads were just huge nerds with ham radios and poo poo like that, and they had good computers with good games and that's where I learned about PC gaming. I remember watching my friends dad playing Ultima online and was like "no loving way" at the whole thing.

Something that added to this is the fact that the media surrounding gaming was also very fractured. Nintendo had their own magazine and kept the clamps on info and cheats and guides to monetize that part of it. PC gaming had it's own magazines too, and there wasn't much overlap between the two to bring folks in from one camp to another.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nvidiagouge posted:

N64 wrestling games may have been the peak of that genre in relation to availability and utilization of technology, though.

no the peak of wrestling was several years later on GBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDopuddh3Gg

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The only good thing to come from wrestling games is hair physics.

Dead rear end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wrestling games are trying to capture a real life medium which will always make them kind of suck. video games can go further beyond. this is the true pinnacle of wrestling that is possible in video games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4asIGghe0Y

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh look a bunch of dumb morons not saying the Dreamcast controller is the best. Ignorance of the truth is no excuse. This might be better time will tell. https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1442141942528151553

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

at the time a game console was a very different thing from a PC too on the hardware level, built from very different parts w/ a much narrower set of goals, and devloping for consoles was very platform-specific and hacky. the xbox was the first one where they just said gently caress it, let's just stick a lovely PC in there and then it'll be easy to make games for both platforms. with mixed results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh look a bunch of dumb morons not saying the Dreamcast controller is the best. Ignorance of the truth is no excuse. This might be better time will tell. https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1442141942528151553

Chao Adventure was the original bitcoin

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah sharp edge grips, only one stick, and needing the cord to come out the bottom of the controller so they could charge you 60 bucks for a vmu were truly great choices

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone who says a pre-360/ds4 gamepad is the best ever is probably a pedophile

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
got a real wild take for everyone: the N64 was actually cool and good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sally posted:

got a real wild take for everyone: the N64 was actually cool and good

really? name one good game released on it

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

poverty goat posted:

at the time a game console was a very different thing from a PC too on the hardware level, built from very different parts w/ a much narrower set of goals, and devloping for consoles was very platform-specific and hacky. the xbox was the first one where they just said gently caress it, let's just stick a lovely PC in there and then it'll be easy to make games for both platforms. with mixed results

this is also a really good point. The real reason we had a good PC with a Pentium in it was so my dad could do AutoCAD poo poo at home for work. It just so happened you could also play games on it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

jokes posted:

GoldenEye :smug:

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The GameCube was good but the Wii, Ds, Wii u, 3ds, switch all suck and the rumor if Microsoft buying Nintendo a few years ago should've been true

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What part of the world observes opposite day in early October?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weird way to spell blast corps

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not wild about Nintendo but Microsoft kills every company they buy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

jokes posted:

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i want a fully developed version of Yakuza's nightclub manager minigame

:same:

I would be disappointed when I would be forced to switch characters and couldn't play it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1LgGNBtFG8

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
hey what's the good new wolfenstein game that people usually cite? I don't mean new like in the last 3 years, I mean like post-original

because there's a sale at GOG right now and I wanna make sure I get the right one

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the machinegames series is the good one, but presumably you mean Wolfenstein 2009 which is unavailable on any store due to licensing disputes, you have to pirate it

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Sally posted:

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Specifically the battle of Hoth which I played far more than the rest of the game.

And what - the cinematic camera mode that made you look like a badass when you already knew the level layout.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cracker King posted:

Specifically the battle of Hoth which I played far more than the rest of the game.

And what - the cinematic camera mode that made you look like a badass when you already knew the level layout.

obviously the best part is the final space battle scene with the tiefighter code entered

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't know if it holds up, but in my memory mischief makers was tight, fresh, slick, fun, and different. Because they had an idea and a plan, and they weren't too scared to release a game in the now completely passe! irrelevant! finished! 2D space.

Yeah N64 sucked. I was sure it was going to be so much better than the SNES, like the SNES was so much better than the NES!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
*unpins grenade, tosses*
Going back and playing old games is dumb because you're chasing a dragon that flew away after your childhood/teenage years and all you're going to find are the bones and guts the dragon chewed on and left behind.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mescal posted:

I don't know if it holds up, but in my memory mischief makers was tight, fresh, slick, fun, and different. Because they had an idea and a plan, and they weren't too scared to release a game in the now completely passe! irrelevant! finished! 2D space.

Yeah N64 sucked. I was sure it was going to be so much better than the SNES, like the SNES was so much better than the NES!

Shake shake. Which reminds me rumble is a dumb gimmick. I think I tried it on Starfox 64 and never used it again.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

chainchompz posted:

*unpins grenade, tosses*
Going back and playing old games is dumb because you're chasing a dragon that flew away after your childhood/teenage years and all you're going to find are the bones and guts the dragon chewed on and left behind.

This is true for every game except Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chainchompz posted:

*unpins grenade, tosses*

Corollary: truly good games are timeless and therefore are never old

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

i play old things i used to like and discover i like it as an adult too. happens all the time. so either the games are good or you're trying to tell me i'm some kind of loving idiot with the brain of a 9 year old.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rutibex posted:

obviously the best part is the final space battle scene with the tiefighter code entered

I would spend HOURS trying to damage the star destroyer in the final mission. Turns out it having a life bar is only there to mock you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i want a fully developed version of Yakuza's nightclub manager minigame

Would be really nice if those kinda management/tycoon games actually were polished releases nowadays and not relegated entirely to freemium shovelware and random indie games

At best you get shiny but janky big releases like Cities: Skylines that require mods to be properly interesting but no one can agree on which of the ten zillion mods you should be using, also they break a lot

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I maintain that Skylines is basically only held in high esteem because SimCity 2013 sucked.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

QuarkJets posted:

Corollary: truly good games are timeless and therefore are never old

I can get down with this. Civ2 for life.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would be really nice if those kinda management/tycoon games actually were polished releases nowadays and not relegated entirely to freemium shovelware and random indie games

At best you get shiny but janky big releases like Cities: Skylines that require mods to be properly interesting but no one can agree on which of the ten zillion mods you should be using, also they break a lot

Parkitect was amazing and works well standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Excitebike 64 holds up.