Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There have been a lot a lot. There's that, a mobile game, an officially licensed VR game, a Wii-U game, a board game, and a board game taking the concept and doing it with submarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sash! posted:

Almost all of the vocalizing on the bridge is supposed to be acknowledging instructions or making instructions known to everyone else.

If I'm trying to figure out why the shields are failing, it might be important to know that the EPS manifold is overloaded instead of trying to troubleshoot it without that knowledge. By the ops guy yelling that they're overloaded and the captain has acknowledged it and issued commands to repair it, I can focus elsewhere.

Ok, sure, I agree here. And if Voyager were a cinéma vérité version of Star Trek then all that might be easily forgiven. But that's not Voyager ever is or ever even tries to be. As such it's just super sloppy to include so much of it when you're just making the average, run-of-the-mill episode of your melodrama. In terms of dramatic presentation, it's just the wrong choice to make. And the major complaint isn't that they're making the wrong choice, it's that they're continuously making that wrong choice over and over and over again. It's not interesting what they're yelling about, it's just a lazy writer's room padding their short-rear end dumb scripts for time.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Artemis SBS is the best one imo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Enterprise Season 2: Finding its feet more. There's a lot of things that Enterprise was missing compared to other Star Treks that I didn't notice before. I guess I already considered Enterprise more like Stargate than Star Trek, but now I have better idea. It's a much more inward-looking show. Focused more on its own regular cast than on the universe outside the ship, which I guess is why they tried to start with an extra-combative relationship with T'pol. There's not much complex exploration of alien societies, and the ones they do cover are never seen again. The season finale where they open with talking about this new matriarchal society they're meeting only for them all to be vaporized without leaving a trace felt like a real annoying bait and switch, even if the show's willingness to go feet-first into an overarching plot is one of its strengths.

I think Archer was also absorbing most of the plotlines instead of jumping between characters like other shows do. He's very much There's been very few episodes dropping in extras, but on the flipside, at least they're not killing off extras to add dramatic weight. I think now the show's loosening up more to a few other characters without the captain being in the loop on everything. There was also a whole thing where T'pol was absorbing all the horniness of the series, which I think made her objectification more gross, but now the horniness is starting to be spread around, so T'pol gets left alone more now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have been slacking on Voyager recaps, so here's the rest of Season 4 (which is mostly a good season, minus a few episodes)

The Raven- This is the episode that establishes some of the backstory for how Seven ended up in the Delta Quadrant. There are a lot of good scenes between her and Tuvok towards the end, when they find the planet that her parents' ship crashed on. One notable thing this episode has is one of the worst costumes for guest aliens of the week. I mean, just look at this poo poo- https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/B%27omar They make the early TNG Cardassian uniforms seem amazing by comparison. Some of the CGI at the end when the Raven starts collapsing over a cliff has not aged well.

Scientific Method- The one where the crew is being experimented on by aliens who are out of phase with 'normal' reality. Janeway in particular spends the episode becoming increasingly irritated with everything, and everyone. The ending, where she gets rid of the aliens by making it clear that she will blow up the ship instead of letting the experiments continue, is a memorable one.

Year of Hell Parts 1/2- One of my favorite episodes, even if this concept was pared down from the original plan to make it an entire season. One thing I found annoying is that at certain points time passes kind of arbitrarily, and we miss certain events that happen off-screen. But in general the idea of actually having a desperate Voyager that is constantly on the verge of falling apart was closer to what we should have gotten on the show from the beginning, instead of just minor inconveniences like not being able to use the replicators or the holodecks all the time. Unfortunately, like a lot of episodes on Voyager, they run out of time and have to wrap up the plot very neatly and with no lasting repercussions.

Random Thoughts- A mostly forgettable episode where a crewmember inadvertently violates the planet of the week's laws and gets in serious trouble. This kind of episode appeared often on TNG and has also happened a few times on Voyager as well. Definitely forgettable.

Concerning Flight- Just a very strange episode that has an unusual amount of on-location shooting for this show. This is the one where the holographic Leonardo Da Vinci (played by John Rhys-Davies of LotR fame) ends up with The Doctor's mobile emitter and is working with some local aliens on a planet thanks to his program being taken off of Voyager by some pirates. Rhys-Davies and Kate Mulgrew are good in this episode, but the plot overall is dumb, and there is no logical reason for the crew to let the holographic version of Da Vinci run around with The Doctor's mobile emitter for so long. They come up with random reasons as to why they need him to be involved at all.

Mortal Coil- The episode where Neelix dies. Unfortunately it doesn't stick. It's a decent episode, even if I feel like they don't really resolve the issues with Neelix that well and the ending is kind of rushed. A lot of Trek episodes have this problem where a character has a major mental health crisis or goes through some horrible trauma and it's never mentioned again. It happens to multiple characters on both TNG and DS9, so it's not strictly a Voyager problem, but it's still annoying.

Waking Moments- An alien species that seems to only be able to do things in their dreams start messing with Voyager because they see the ship as a threat. Apparently only Chakotay can somehow take control of his dreams because of *fictional Native American reasons*, so he ends up being the main part of the episode. To be honest I forgot much about this episode as it's not super interesting.

Message in a Bottle- This is still one of my favorite all-time Voyager episodes. I think the scenes between Robert Picardo and Andy Dick are great and they play off of each other well. This is also a very important episode in the series as it introduces the Hirogen as a new threat, and it is also the first time that Voyager is able to contact Starfleet since the ship was lost in the pilot. Not much else to say except it's a fun episode that I could rewatch many times.

Hunters- Even though this is not the first episode with the Hirogen in it, it's effectively their introduction as we learn what their deal is and their obsession with hunting other sentient species being the major cornerstone of their culture. They are only part of the focus, as the main part involves the ship trying to recover a message sent along the ancient relay network that the Hirogen have claimed, which Voyager accidentally destroys at the end of the episode. This episode is fine but I think the next one is much better.

Prey- A Hirogen ship has been hunting a Species 8472 vessel for some time, and comes into conflict with Voyager because Janeway wants to protect the injured Species 8472, whereas the lone surviving Hirogen hunter (played by Tony Todd) wants to finish it off and avenge his fallen hunter comrade. Even though the entirely CGI Species 8472 does not hold up super well, I think this is a good episode where Janeway tries to uphold Starfleet values but is ultimately thwarted by Seven, who has no interest in helping the Borg's mortal enemy and ends up handing it over to the Hirogen (which probably also saved Voyager).

Retrospect- A very very bad episode that has only aged worse. Seven starts having memories indicating that this alien arms dealer knocked her out and stole some of the Borg tech from her body. The Doctor believes her, and he and Janeway confront the guy only for him to deny it. The local authorities investigate which causes the arms dealer to lose his poo poo and go on the run. They chase after him but he ends up blowing his own ship up before they can save him. The problem is that we find out that somehow, Seven's memories were not real (this is never explained). The evidence they find from the arms dealer's lab does not match with her memories, so eventually they decide she is wrong. After this scummy guy dies, which, like I said, was not Voyager's fault and was his own for running and being stupid, The Doctor gets extremely upset about the fact that he believed Seven and wants Janeway to basically reset him to factory settings. Obviously Janeway tells him no, but we spend the last 10 or so minutes with the crew being generally upset that this guy died, including Seven. Apparently this episode was meant to be about false memories, but it definitely comes off like the episode is saying that we should not be so quick to immediately assume sexual assault survivors are telling the truth because that can ruin innocent lives. It's really an unfortunate episode that should never have been made. Unfortunately it's a product of it's time.

The Killing Game- A double length episode where the ship is captured by the Hirogen and the crew are put into massively expanded holodecks so that the Hirogen can study human culture (and also keep hunting them for sport). A major issue for me with the episode is that I don't think they ever really explain how the Doctor is able to essentially brainwash the crew into thinking that they are holographic characters. It's just a little too convenient. It's a decent episode overall but it again has this problem of, 'we ran out of time so we have to wrap up everything in the last 5 minutes of the episode'. Most of this happens offscreen because I guess we just have to see the Hirogen leaving the ship.

Vis A Vis- Arguably the dumbest episode of the season. It's a Paris episode, where a conflict develops between him and B'Elanna because he is spending all of his free time in the holodeck working on an old muscle car for fun and keeps missing dates with her. Then this alien shows up with a special kind of propulsion drive that he becomes obsessed with, but it turns out that the alien is actually some kind of entity that can take over someone's identity and start living as them, so this alien turns into Paris and puts Paris in his body. However, the alien did almost no work to figure out who Paris was, or like even basic things on Voyager, so very quickly the crew realizes something's very wrong. Yet again, a major issue at the end of the episode is resolved entirely offscreen, where I guess they manage to get the alien out of Janeway's body and into one of his previous hosts (somehow). You would think this would be a problem as nobody seems to know anything about this alien, but they manage to pull it off anyway. An entirely forgettable episode, period.

The Omega Directive- This episode has an actually decent conflict of ideology between Janeway and Seven. Starfleet has directed her to destroy any Omega molecules that the ship encounters, but Seven thinks (mainly due to Borg belief) that the molecules can be harnessed for good instead of destroyed. It's a decent portrayal of the idea of whether a technology is too dangerous to be used, or if it is worth the risk.

Unforgettable- I just really did not enjoy this episode at all. Chakotay falls in love (a second time) with an alien played by Virginia Madsen. However, the planet she comes from is some kind of repressive society that wipes the memories of people who try to leave. They also are basically automatically forgotten by other species who they are away from for too long, which is why Chakotay and everyone on Voyager fails to remember her. I kept expecting her to have lied about something, or have some ulterior motive, but she is truthful and she tries and then fails to escape her planet's authorities, because she is a guest actress and they can't keep her around, so of course the episode has to end with them wiping her memories so she will forget about Chakotay and just want to go back home.

Living Witness- Another top 10 series episode, if for no other reason than the Warship Voyager 'reenactment' portions of it are very entertaining. I just like the concept of Voyager inadvertently having this major impact on the history of a planet and how the actual events have been twisted by local politics into something completely different from the truth. This is a very similar episode to 'Distant Origin' from Season 3, where the protagonist of the episode is an alien of the week and not a member of the Voyager crew.

Demon- A very bizarre concept for an episode that leads to one of my least favorite episodes of the entire series down the line. The episode also abandons the original problem from the start of the episode entirely at the end. We are told that Voyager is dangerously low on deuterium, and that the ship will not be able to function much longer without more, so they go to a very dangerous planet to try and get some. However, they instead discover a very strange lifeform, and the episode ends up being about that, and the deuterium problem just goes away, somehow. I don't understand at the end why so many Voyager crewmembers would voluntarily give their DNA to this organism that they don't really understand, and have no idea what it would use the genetic information for. It makes no sense. Just an oddity of an episode and one that would be forgotten, had it not led to Course: Oblivion in Season 5.

One- One of the better Seven episodes of the entire series. I think the concept of the crew having to go into stasis makes no sense, because it is never explained why stasis chambers will protect them from the radiation, while the shields and the ship's hull will not. But whatever, it makes for a decent concept, which is that Seven is the only living person onboard for the month or so that the ship will traverse this nebula, with her only company being The Doctor. We get to see her isolation and difficulty dealing with being alone, when she has lived her entire live in the Collective and had never been 'alone' until a year or so prior.

Hope and Fear- An alien arrives on Voyager and helps them decrypt the message Starfleet had sent them during 'Message in a Bottle' which until now they had not been able to crack. They are supposedly given a very advanced Starfleet prototype ship as a way to get them back home in just three months, but of course it turns out to be a lie. This is another good Seven and Janeway episode, of which there are a lot. I appreciate the continuity at the end, where Janeway's decision to ally with the Borg in 'Scorpion' to get the ship safely through Borg space comes back to haunt her, as the alien of the week turns out to be a victim of a species that was assimilated because Janeway helped ensure the Borg's survival against Species 8472. The show generally doesn't spent a lot of time on these kinds of consequences so it's something I try to give them kudos for when they do. I wish they had done it more.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
enjoyed your write up and yeah lol at the aliens with patchy jackets and some kind of headgear for their braces.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Concerning Flight- Just a very strange episode that has an unusual amount of on-location shooting for this show. This is the one where the holographic Leonardo Da Vinci (played by John Rhys-Davies of LotR fame) ends up with The Doctor's mobile emitter and is working with some local aliens on a planet thanks to his program being taken off of Voyager by some pirates. Rhys-Davies and Kate Mulgrew are good in this episode, but the plot overall is dumb, and there is no logical reason for the crew to let the holographic version of Da Vinci run around with The Doctor's mobile emitter for so long. They come up with random reasons as to why they need him to be involved at all.
"Concerning Flight" has always kinda pissed me off, since it has the same inciting incident as an early VOY novel, but the way the two stories handle the same subject is night and day. In the novel (Violations, by Susan Wright), some aliens board Voyager under false pretenses, incapacitate the crew, and proceed to rip the primary processor unit out of the main computer. This is treated as a huge calamity that leaves Voyager crippled, with the ship barely capable of limping to the closest port, and the crew has to find that processor if they want any chance of getting home in their lifetime. The event is even depicted as a violation of Voyager itself, with the processor physically cut out of the main computer core and puddles of bioneural gel leaking out of ruptured packs. Meanwhile in "Concerning Flight" the aliens just...beam the processor out? And Voyager is mostly functional? Do the lights even flicker?

I was never a savvy media consumer as a teenager, but that may have been my first inkling that VOY was not a good show. I don't know if the book would hold up to a reread - I only read it once almost two decades ago - but it does something with its premise as opposed to the nothing the show did.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, watching "The Crossing", and this is a premise that TNG would be all over and maybe turn into a farce (or alternatively, be the reward at the conclusion of an episode), but Archer flipping out over an exchange of knowledge and experiences really doesn't match his theoretical mission of exploration.

I guess what I wanted with this one is for if they were going to reject the new-agey transcendentalism of the wisps, I'd like them to go all the way and have the wisps turn out to be plotting an ephemeral bank heist and they all turn into 1930s mobsters. Then at the end some wisps with sunglasses and police hats come by to apprehend the mobster wisps while munching some energy-donuts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

"Concerning Flight" has always kinda pissed me off, since it has the same inciting incident as an early VOY novel, but the way the two stories handle the same subject is night and day. In the novel (Violations, by Susan Wright), some aliens board Voyager under false pretenses, incapacitate the crew, and proceed to rip the primary processor unit out of the main computer. This is treated as a huge calamity that leaves Voyager crippled, with the ship barely capable of limping to the closest port, and the crew has to find that processor if they want any chance of getting home in their lifetime. The event is even depicted as a violation of Voyager itself, with the processor physically cut out of the main computer core and puddles of bioneural gel leaking out of ruptured packs. Meanwhile in "Concerning Flight" the aliens just...beam the processor out? And Voyager is mostly functional? Do the lights even flicker?

All the computer screens flicker? They do say in dialogue that the ship is turbofucked and half of their stuff is offline and it takes ten days to track down the computer when it should be trivial, but it's not depicted as well as it could be.

It does make sense given everything we've seen of Starfleet that the ship would have enough backup computing to be basically functional with the core gone, having such a single point of weakness doesn't make much sense, but yeah, they could've done more. And having it look physically ripped away would've been a great shot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 3, 2021

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Sad I missed O'Brien/Meaney chat. I still want to pitch an O'Brien as an exasperated starfleet academy engineering professor show. Basically a reversed magic school bus. Half stem education, half zany starfleet technobabble antics.
- Class creates a tiny rotating singularity for a science project. Oops, now there are two professor o'briens.
- Smiley comes in as a guest lecturer to teach multiverse theory.
- "c'mon cadets, today we learn about mechanics of materials! Who's heard of mohr and his famous circle?"
- hates the red squad kids. always makes fun of them for getting a "tough little ship" blown up. and being failed terrorists.
- classroom pet is his pet tarantula, christina
- kiroyoshi grew up into a klingon weeb.

it's all dumb as hell, but could be fun.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

Retrospect- A very very bad episode that has only aged worse. Seven starts having memories indicating that this alien arms dealer knocked her out and stole some of the Borg tech from her body. The Doctor believes her, and he and Janeway confront the guy only for him to deny it. The local authorities investigate which causes the arms dealer to lose his poo poo and go on the run. They chase after him but he ends up blowing his own ship up before they can save him. The problem is that we find out that somehow, Seven's memories were not real (this is never explained). The evidence they find from the arms dealer's lab does not match with her memories, so eventually they decide she is wrong. After this scummy guy dies, which, like I said, was not Voyager's fault and was his own for running and being stupid, The Doctor gets extremely upset about the fact that he believed Seven and wants Janeway to basically reset him to factory settings. Obviously Janeway tells him no, but we spend the last 10 or so minutes with the crew being generally upset that this guy died, including Seven. Apparently this episode was meant to be about false memories, but it definitely comes off like the episode is saying that we should not be so quick to immediately assume sexual assault survivors are telling the truth because that can ruin innocent lives. It's really an unfortunate episode that should never have been made. Unfortunately it's a product of it's time.

This is a reference to a specific event where hypnosis was used to bring forward sexual abuse etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory_syndrome

So it is less you shouldn't trust victims and more "This is a literal thing happening to people right now, where they have memories that are later proven false." that happened i the late 1990s

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Man, I came here to see if people were talking about the latest Lower Decks episode but there's nothing! It was more reference heavy than usual but all the jokes landed really well. I had to pause the episode to finish laughing like 4 times in the first 10 minutes. It was probably the best episode of the series for me. I was actually grinning when it ended!

Mike McMahan deserves an award for this poo poo. Someone made something good despite Kurtzman's involvement!

VVV: WHOOPS! I'm blind. Thanks folks!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 3, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Man, I came here to see if people were talking about the latest Lower Decks episode but there's nothing! It was more reference heavy than usual but all the jokes landed really well. I had to pause the episode to finish laughing like 4 times in the first 10 minutes. It was probably the best episode of the series for me. I was actually grinning when it ended!

Mike McMahan deserves an award for this poo poo. Someone made something good despite Kurtzman's involvement!

Modern Trek thread is -----> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911697

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DaveKap posted:

You did notice the modern Trek thread, right? This is the thread for mostly reliving good/classic Trek.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://www.simonandschuster.com/c/ebookpromoOctober2021

A Stitch in Time is a dollar this month.

Also some other stuff like the TNG/X-Men crossover.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I was looking into the Star Trek novels and the first original story Simon and Schuster novel, the Entropy Effect, is written by Vonda McIntyre. Here is some weird trivia I found about here.

She asked the panel and audience if they had managed to see Starfarers, which she claimed was an amazing SF miniseries that had almost no viewers due to bad scheduling on the part of the network. No such show existed, but after reflecting on the plot she described, McIntyre felt it would make a good novel, and went on to write Starfarers as well as its three sequels, later referring to it as "my Best SF TV Series Never Made".

-----------------

Other novels by the same author are particularly complimentary to Sulu, whom she described in prose in the novelization of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home as "the good-looking Asian man." Flynn (by that time promoted to captain, and given a command) is also mentioned in the novelizations Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock by the same author.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Flaming Liberal posted:

Hope and Fear- An alien arrives on Voyager and helps them decrypt the message Starfleet had sent them during 'Message in a Bottle' which until now they had not been able to crack. They are supposedly given a very advanced Starfleet prototype ship as a way to get them back home in just three months, but of course it turns out to be a lie. This is another good Seven and Janeway episode, of which there are a lot. I appreciate the continuity at the end, where Janeway's decision to ally with the Borg in 'Scorpion' to get the ship safely through Borg space comes back to haunt her, as the alien of the week turns out to be a victim of a species that was assimilated because Janeway helped ensure the Borg's survival against Species 8472. The show generally doesn't spent a lot of time on these kinds of consequences so it's something I try to give them kudos for when they do. I wish they had done it more.
Season 4 was probably Voyager's best season, and 'Hope And Fear' was a definite highlight because it paid off the ongoing themes and conflicts of the year. The story played out well - Arturis' appearance at just the right time obviously wasn't a coincidence, but Janeway was suspicious from the start rather than there needing to be some shock "Oh no!" twist to make the crew realise the truth, which certainly happened in other stories.

Plus Arturis was played by Ray loving Wise, who's always great to watch. And he was a villain with an absolutely cast-iron reason to hate Voyager and Janeway in particular, instead of merely being one of the usual Delta Quadrant "You're in our space!" moustache-twirlers. Add to that the fun of a new 'Starfleet' ship, a Borg cameo and a turning point in Seven's development, and you end up with something genuinely good rather than 'good by Voyager standards'.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In the TNG and Kelvin Trek, they call Old Spock "Ambassador Spock". What country was he ambassador? "Ambassador" isn't a rank, it's an office. You stop calling someone an ambassador as soon as he is removed from the role.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This was asked recently in one of the threads. Ambassador-at-large is a thing.

There may also be a thing where planets send ambassadors to 'The Federation' in general, separately to their council representative.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 3, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zurtilik posted:

Other novels by the same author are particularly complimentary to Sulu, whom she described in prose in the novelization of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home as "the good-looking Asian man."...

He held that title for decades until a challenger appeared...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Zurtilik posted:

I was looking into the Star Trek novels and the first original story Simon and Schuster novel, the Entropy Effect, is written by Vonda McIntyre. Here is some weird trivia I found about here.

She asked the panel and audience if they had managed to see Starfarers, which she claimed was an amazing SF miniseries that had almost no viewers due to bad scheduling on the part of the network. No such show existed, but after reflecting on the plot she described, McIntyre felt it would make a good novel, and went on to write Starfarers as well as its three sequels, later referring to it as "my Best SF TV Series Never Made".

-----------------

Other novels by the same author are particularly complimentary to Sulu, whom she described in prose in the novelization of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home as "the good-looking Asian man." Flynn (by that time promoted to captain, and given a command) is also mentioned in the novelizations Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock by the same author.

Neat.
Vonda McIntyre came up with Sulu's first name of Hikaru, having ran it by both Roddenberry and Takei. Her novel and the novelizations had quite a lot of focus on Sulu, The Entropy Effect especially. She also filled in a large amount of unseen backstory for the movie novelizations, and even mentioned Sulu getting command of the Excelsior in the book for TSFP, from the script (reputedly resulting in a shitily-acted scene from Shatner that was filmed but ultimately cut concerning Sulu getting the ship) . It was only three movies later....
The Trek novels are some wacky poo poo and the early ones got me through my 80's childhood in time for tng.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

8one6 posted:

He held that title for decades until a challenger appeared...

He was so adorable and charismatic. What a wasted actor. Poor Ethan Phillips too, never once a phoned-in performance. Fuckin Voyager.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Sulu was always one of my favourites of the TOS crew. I dunno why, I think I just like a quietly competent and solidly reliable dude

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sulu is the Riker of TOS. All around cool guy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just thinking, which Trek main characters are specifically American? Kirk, McCoy, Sulu, the Siskos, Riker. Archer and Trip. I'm not counting an American accent as proof of anything. Are there more I'm not thinking of?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Harry Kim’s from South Carolina.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chakotay, surely

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I heard Riker is Canadian

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

8one6 posted:

Thanks for the tip, I just picked this up. I've been meaning to read it for years and this finally got me off my rear end.

And after reading the first page on the official Kindle app for my Android tablet, I promptly remembered all the little ways that that app annoys me, and so I pirated a DRM-removed copy to actually read in my preferred book viewer. I've been known to do exactly the same thing with TV episodes that I have perfectly legit streaming access to -- if the streaming app is buggy or annoying, I'll just loving torrent a clean copy to actually watch.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

multijoe posted:

Chakotay, surely

Not necessarily. Specifically he was born on a Federation colony, so he would definitely not identify as American. Even if he was born on Earth, there are Native cultures in Canada and Mexico, and even if he were born inside the borders of the United States, he still might not identify as American.

Heck, at the start of the series, he didn't even identify as Federation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

multijoe posted:

Chakotay, surely

I don't think they were ever explicit on screen but he's supposed to be from the colony in Journey's End.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

Chakotay, surely

I could have sworn in one episode Chakotay said he had family in Ohio.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Sisko may be the only confirmed African American in Starfleet.

Chekov and Worf are the only Russians.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
They should have a character hail from an Earth based country that doesn't exist yet.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

They should have a character hail from an Earth based country that doesn't exist yet.

Uhura is from the United States of Africa, and Picard is from the European Alliance.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

8one6 posted:

Rogue Saucer! The saucer's gone rogue!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Star Trek needs more Irish people.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Worf's human dad was enlisted Starfleet!

HD DAD posted:

I could have sworn in one episode Chakotay said he had family in Ohio.

A sister, and his family was living in Arizona in the 1990s. That doesn't make him an American, though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Worf is kinda iffy, since he's from Minsk, which is not Russian currently. But of course, maybe during the eugenics wars Russia annexed some poo poo.

Doesn't some of the nutrek have a lunar native?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Epicurius posted:

Uhura is from the United States of Africa, and Picard is from the European Alliance.

I did not realize that about Uhura, maybe because I've never seen TOS. I don't know how I missed that about Picard. I just assumed he lived in France and the European Alliance was similar to the European Union.

That's awesome. Thank you for the info.