Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

The main one that got on my nerves was Morgan/Moiraine

She's important enough and the fake name was so divergent from the original that it was distracting

Yeah. And randy lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
similar-rear end sounding names are the world building mortar betwixt the bricks mr rigney worked so hard to lay for us. and we must ever be confused to honor his memory

it's pretty cool experiencing the books that way for the first time though, having someone there so explain all the stuff you invariably miss on the first pass without revealing too much

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I laughed my rear end off at the start of TGH when she randomly called out Verin as black ajah

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The Glumslinger posted:

I laughed my rear end off at the start of TGH when she randomly called out Verin as black ajah
And how she would just be crushed if that turned out to be actually true.

Also, I don't think I've seen him in the last few pages: I would like to flag down goon Mat Cauthon and say: no really, listen to like an episode or two of this podcast. This woman's absolute scorn for our favorite boy was just a joy to listen to. She is, apparently, a teacher, who spends a lot of her time around small-and-medium-sized children.

Like, Gus, running through characters, gets to Mat. Ali: "The dumbass."
Later, at Shadar Logoth: Gus: "This is really when Mat becomes The Dumbass and not just That loving Guy."
(Followed by, in book two, Ali realizing that Mat's right when he says he's the only sane one left. I'm up to Nynaeve's Accepted test in the podcast, no idea how she reacts to Mat POV chapters.)

Honestly, their take on Ba'alzamon vs. Mordeth was pretty great, too. How does Ba'alzamon try to get the boys on his side? ... Killing rats? "You know what sixteen year old boys want? Candy and a car. GIVE THEM THINGS." Mordeth? "Hello, my name is MORE DEATH. ... You're still here? That didn't sound weird to you? How about you come into my basement, where I have treasure."

edit so you don't have to search around a ton: Podcast is named Wheel Takes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

N’thing that the podcast is enjoyable. The fake name thing doesn’t bother me because they say the real names just as much. Plus Randall Thor would be an exceptional meta name for the protagonist of a 21st century fanfic of the wheel of time.

It’s also fun when she is scattershotting theories and hits the mark on one, or picks up something that I never noticed until the plot made it explicit (Moiraine and Thom wanting to bone down).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

(Followed by, in book two, Ali realizing that Mat's right when he says he's the only sane one left.

Oh no, they absolutely are not buying that from Mat. I mean yes in book 2 Rand and Perrin are going through some things and Mat's comatose at the end of it, but by book 3 Mat's being rewarded for what they're calling his stupidity, and he's telling himself how he's the only sane boy left *in the old tongue*.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I would enjoy if Rand only has one love in this, Min, given he actually spends more than a month with her in the books and Aviendha and Elayne just get to be incredibly gay for each other.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Oh no, they absolutely are not buying that from Mat. I mean yes in book 2 Rand and Perrin are going through some things and Mat's comatose at the end of it, but by book 3 Mat's being rewarded for what they're calling his stupidity, and he's telling himself how he's the only sane boy left *in the old tongue*.

I'm not saying their opinion of Mat improves, except for relative to the other boys, in that one chapter.

It was just great to have (paraphrasing): "Mat, the complete dumbass, is the least idiotic right now." I think it was when Perrin stepped off to the side, chatted with wolves about Fain, howled in outrage with them, and then came back with Ingtar claiming to be another Sniffer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Natural 20 posted:

I would enjoy if Rand only has one love in this, Min, given he actually spends more than a month with her in the books and Aviendha and Elayne just get to be incredibly gay for each other.

Min is also the only one of the three with ONLY a "gotta support her man" arc from 6 on and that's not a good thing for representation.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Min is also the only one of the three with ONLY a "gotta support her man" arc from 6 on and that's not a good thing for representation.

I think it was in ACOS after what Rand went through in LOC and he refused to see anyone for days, and Min at the end was like 'you need to take a bath'. It was such a human moment to tell Rand that at the time and bring it all back to reality after Rand massacred everyone as a god.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Lia's readthrough blog that comes up itt occasionally really made me appreciate how active a role Min makes of the whole 'stand by your man' thing she does, Min is a total mvp in the series. I agree that I'd like for her to have more stuff to do than keep Rand from going berserk and reading books, though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

Lia's readthrough blog that comes up itt occasionally really made me appreciate how active a role Min makes of the whole 'stand by your man' thing she does, Min is a total mvp in the series. I agree that I'd like for her to have more stuff to do than keep Rand from going berserk and reading books, though.

She ended up being Tuon's farseer or whatever didn't she? I honestly haven't read the last 3 in awhile

e: also when Semirhage made Rand almost kill Min, gently caress.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 1, 2021

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Barreft posted:

She ended up being Tuon's farseer or whatever didn't she? I honestly haven't read the last 3 in awhile
Doomseer :black101:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That scene rocks so, so much

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I don't think that's true?

Yes, grounding the insane superpowered hero king is a huge role for her but she also spends her time figuring out the prophecies. She's figured out that Callandor can channel the true power by the end.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
She's also got the whole trying to figure out Herid Fel's last message thing (though I forget if that actually leads to anything)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Min's also the only person who knows to any great extent exactly what she needs to do. Considering what happened to Siuan Sanche and Gareth Bryne, I have difficulty arguing that Min should be more independent and not bow to destiny.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rarity posted:

She's also got the whole trying to figure out Herid Fel's last message thing (though I forget if that actually leads to anything)

She figures out that you need to break the seals to rebuild the Dark One's prison.

Whilst it's not particularly subversive or progressive for the woman in an onscreen relationship to be the intellectual support for the protagonist, it is pretty subversive when that person is ostensibly working class. Min's born poor in a mining town and is a farrier at the start of the story.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Although it’s all rather pointless since she knows everything she sees comes true. I was hoping at some point one of her visions could be changed or something just to put doubt to them but nah they all come true.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I do like that all the visions in the series come true. If not in the way that the people seeing or hearing those visions expect. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There are a few that appear to be about abandoned plot lines, but those are "explainable" as about things that happen after the series end.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Natural 20 posted:

I don't think that's true?

Yes, grounding the insane superpowered hero king is a huge role for her but she also spends her time figuring out the prophecies. She's figured out that Callandor can channel the true power by the end.

There's no explicit on-screen payoff for any of that, and really there's a lot of her following Rand around almost like a "comfort woman". She's also the near-fridging candidate for TGS. It's not a great look.

Without any interiority, it's really hard to do anything with the viewings as a character thing--it's really passive as gently caress as a plot mechanism. And there's like 1 and a half whole sequences of her Doomseer thing with the Seanchan which, again, doesn't really do anything with the *character*.

One of the ways I think Rand's "ladies" works is that Aviendha and Elayne both have their own relatively independent arcs that in the end do revolve around Tarmon Gai'don and Rand's role in it, but they are mostly free to pursue it themselves. But it is precisely that aspect of it that a lot of internet commentary focuses upon when people say Elayne and Aviendha are somehow "not right" for Rand and that instead, Min is. I don't like it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i wonder what they will do with the satan voice at the end of the eye

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

i wonder what they will do with the satanBela voice at the end of the eye

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ah, ofc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ChubbyChecker posted:

i wonder what they will do with the satan voice at the end of the eye

That was God, so get Morgan Freeman

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Barreft posted:

I think it was in ACOS after what Rand went through in LOC and he refused to see anyone for days, and Min at the end was like 'you need to take a bath'. It was such a human moment to tell Rand that at the time and bring it all back to reality after Rand massacred everyone as a god.

What the actual hell is going on with Rand's body in this drawing? He looks like a wadded-up heap of laundry.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well, he was kinda just recently stuffed in to a space about sized for wadded up heaps of laundry,

(Yeah it's a bit off lol)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
As goons I would kind of expect wadded-up heap of laundry body to come pretty standard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m rereading Lia’s wheel of Time read through and I think my favourite line of the whole thing is still:

“Tam and Rand arrive back at their farmhouse, and I realise that Christopher Paolini clearly read Wheel of Time as well as watching Star Wars.”

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Wheel Takes takes continued: Ali, upon hearing lanfear's real name is Mierin going "mirror??? meiiirror?? is probably my biggest laugh so far

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Invalid Validation posted:

Although it’s all rather pointless since she knows everything she sees comes true. I was hoping at some point one of her visions could be changed or something just to put doubt to them but nah they all come true.

There is doubt, in the sense that she sees what the Pattern will look like in the future. But that presupposes that the Pattern will continue to exist in the future. If the Dark One wins, he probably destroys the Pattern (either because it's his prison cell and he wants to bust out or because he wants to unweave it to do his own thing or what have you). So Min can only see a future where Rand wins, and her predictions are ironclad for that future, but that future isn't guaranteed.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have literally one hope for the Amazon series, assuming it is popular and gets to the Last Battle the horse that Noel shows up on after the horn is blown needs to be Bela. The fact that it isn't in the book is a shame that should be changed in future editions. If wolves can be heroes of the horn then why the gently caress not a horse?

Bela is a darkfriend.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

nashona posted:

Bela is a darkfriend.

I will not stand for these whitecloak lies

:mods:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

The dragon's fang is scrawled on her stable, it is what it is

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DarkHorse posted:

New image from the Wheel of Time set.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bad horse, bad horse, bad horse, she's bad!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nashona posted:

Bela is a darkfriend.

She's no dark friend. She's Neigh'blis

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She's no dark friend. She's Neigh'blis

gently caress'N HELL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU