Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I don't like about this show is all the time skips to show us one thing that happened at some point. I'm guessing the scenes are important for the story, but it's hard for me to follow when it says "35 years ago" and then it's a character I've seen for 30 seconds before doing something I don't understand and then it jumps back to somewhere else.

twistedmentat posted:

Something I was confused by in this episode was the opening, in the last episode they said the Clone Emperors were ruling for 3000 years, but in this it showed Cleon I and then skips 400 years to show what I think its the Brother Dusk of the first two episodes being put out to pasture. That's a pretty big inconsistency.

I think they said in the second episode maybe that the empire has been going for thousands of years, but they've had the same emperor for 400 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

twistedmentat posted:

Something I was confused by in this episode was the opening, in the last episode they said the Clone Emperors were ruling for 3000 years, but in this it showed Cleon I and then skips 400 years to show what I think its the Brother Dusk of the first two episodes being put out to pasture. That's a pretty big inconsistency.

I think the Empire has existed for over 3000 years, but the Cleons only for the last 400.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Last episode Gaal also said it takes 900 days to slow travel to the remote planet, but it seem to take longer time in ep3.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Just finished up the third episode and I really enjoyed the Empire part in the beginning. I'm kind of hoping they release a high-res picture of the mural sometime this season/after the season finale.

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was at B&N today and noticed they are charging $17 per book and thought that was nuts. They were also the soft covers.

If I buy any non ebooks and out of print books these days I tend to use abebooks.com since you're supporting used book stores and generally they offer free shipping. I did a cursory check and you can get the first trilogy for under $10 or a little more if you buy from the same seller.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Glimpse posted:

Just want to say, this show has some of the best lighting I’ve seen on the screen.

What do you look for in good lighting?

Cojawfee posted:

I think they said in the second episode maybe that the empire has been going for thousands of years, but they've had the same emperor for 400 years.

Correct.

I think the performances on Trantor were good, but the whole premise is about the collapse of the Empire! I want to hear what's preventing them from rebuilding the Star Bridge or resolve the Anacreon situation. If Day is preoccupied with court matters and neglecting his responsibilities to the outer worlds, I'd like to see it.

Our hero Hari Seldon is a sociology professor; if any show is going to give us the nerdy details then it should be this one! They really could have just given us 60 seconds of dialogue in the shot with the boys at the holographic display.

Book spoiler from 1952: The Cleons will eventually launch a campaign of reconquest in the Anacreon region that's based on the campaigns of Belisarius. So this is actually spoilers from 533. So it would seem like some discussion of what's preventing the Cleons from acting earlier would be germane.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 2, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

stephenthinkpad posted:

Last episode Gaal also said it takes 900 days to slow travel to the remote planet, but it seem to take longer time in ep3.

If they are getting relativistic effects than onboard ship time would move slower than the rest of the universe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

twistedmentat posted:

Also, I'm watching on PS4 and the quality is really lovely. Disney+, Amazon, Netflix and Warhammer + all come in in HD, but for some reason AppleTV seems to be stuck at best 720. I googled but not a single solution.
That's probably by design, for not using an Apple (TV) device.

I'm subscribed to Apple TV and I have to consult my DVR anyhow, if I want to watch in 4K on my computer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know whether to blame the show or Asimov for this (lol if the latter) but one thing I'm irked about is that they characterize Seldon's whole deal as "mathematics" but then portray mathematic savants as being basically good at counting. Like they keep saying things like "Seldon's numbers were correct" and having Gaal recite prime numbers to herself, as though "mathematics" is about numbers, instead of abstract concepts and proofs and extrapolation of theoretical constructs into other theoretical constructs. But that's presumably what the audience expects "mathematics" to mean so they just keep harping on it. "I'm a mathematical genius, I can recite pi to a thousand places :smug:" *gets rejected from MIT because I have no ability to formulate a proof*

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Data Graham posted:

I don't know whether to blame the show or Asimov for this (lol if the latter) but one thing I'm irked about is that they characterize Seldon's whole deal as "mathematics" but then portray mathematic savants as being basically good at counting. Like they keep saying things like "Seldon's numbers were correct" and having Gaal recite prime numbers to herself, as though "mathematics" is about numbers, instead of abstract concepts and proofs and extrapolation of theoretical constructs into other theoretical constructs. But that's presumably what the audience expects "mathematics" to mean so they just keep harping on it. "I'm a mathematical genius, I can recite pi to a thousand places :smug:" *gets rejected from MIT because I have no ability to formulate a proof*

Asimov got a degree in chemistry and half his books were nonfiction works about astronomy and other scientific fields, so I'm pretty sure it's the showrunners using impressive arithmetic as shorthand for mathematical genius.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

When you think about it being part of the Foundation is like being in Space Qanon.

Trust in the Plan!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless she was running some algorithm in her head to find the next prime, reciting a list of prime numbers isn't even math, it's memorization.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

Unless she was running some algorithm in her head to find the next prime, reciting a list of prime numbers isn't even math, it's memorization.

Pretty sure the idea was that she was finding them as she was counting

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I didn’t look at the credits, but is Harris just gone, or will he be around in flashbacks? The Shield did something similar where they had a character appear in promo shots and in the main cast only to kill him in the first episode as a surprise.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty sure we’ll see him again.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
IMO the science behind both Foundation and I Robot are pretty janky.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not hard scifi.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's probably by design, for not using an Apple (TV) device.

I'm subscribed to Apple TV and I have to consult my DVR anyhow, if I want to watch in 4K on my computer.

Xbox one does 1080p for appletv without any issues, given how lovely coding on a PlayStation is, I wouldn’t be surprised apple went for the lowest settings to avoid performance issues(esp if they use hevc/h265 for higher quality streams)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

It's not hard scifi.

I mean the fact he had FTL travel as a thing in his books makes his stuff non-hard sci-fi. A positronic brain and magic 8-ball mathematics is small potatoes at that point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I was thinking maybe this is just apple being petty for not using an apple device. My parents have a proper apple TV box and it looks amazing for them.

And I've encountered a lot of nerds who hold up Asimov as a hard Sci fi writer who get really pissy when you point out when it's certainly not. I think their idea of hard Sci fi is just not star wars.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I was thinking maybe this is just apple being petty for not using an apple device. My parents have a proper apple TV box and it looks amazing for them.

And I've encountered a lot of nerds who hold up Asimov as a hard Sci fi writer who get really pissy when you point out when it's certainly not. I think their idea of hard Sci fi is just not star wars.

It really depends on how strictly you define "hard science fiction." While Asimov invented things like positronic brains, hyperspace, and psychohistory, the rules for how each invention works are internally consistent and his stories typically focus on how those rules interact with unexpected situations. Whereas a series like Buck Rogers doesn't care about the rules and will rewrite them as needed to tell a thrilling story.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My complaint of Foundation books is that the premise of math predicting human future is janky, not that it's soft scifi or hard scifi.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can a book reader tell me where Gaal went plz

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nope! This didn't happen in the book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But it has ships with a black hole on board copy pasted out of Interstellar, kip thorne would say it’s hard scifi

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Can a book reader tell me where Gaal went plz

It didn't happen in the book, but I'm going to guess she's going to get involved in the Second Foundation. This is something from the third book in the original trilogy, so this might be a spoiler for a future season.. They're a group of mathematicians and telepaths who "cheat" at psychohistory by ensuring its predictions hold true long after the mathematics should have lost their predictive power. Second Foundation agents act as spies who "tweak" people to the minimum extent necessary to ensure the plan works. The tweak has to be believable within their behavioral tendencies, e.g. not switching someone's political party affiliation. The third book in the original trilogy was about Foundation people noticing "hey, shouldn't the Seldon Plan have stopped working by now" and setting out to find the culprits.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 2, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

galenanorth posted:

It didn't happen in the book, but I'm going to guess she's going to get involved in the Second Foundation, a group of mathematicians and telepaths who "cheat" at psychohistory by ensuring its predictions hold true long after the mathematics should have lost their predictive power. Second Foundation agents act as spies who "tweak" people to the minimum extent necessary to ensure the plan works. The tweak has to be believable within their behavioral tendencies, e.g. not switching someone's political party affiliation. The third book in the original trilogy was about Foundation people noticing "hey, shouldn't the Seldon Plan have stopped working by now" and setting out to find the culprits.

Yes this is my thought as well. They've already laid the groundwork for Gaal being a "mentallic" in the first two episodes

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theyve got to do something about these actors blandly reciting lines at each other

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mistermojo posted:

theyve got to do something about these actors blandly reciting lines at each other

Trust me when I say it's still a massive improvement over the dialog in the books.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

My complaint of Foundation books is that the premise of math predicting human future is janky, not that it's soft scifi or hard scifi.

It's janky NOW. Not totally implausible albeit granted a stretch in 1950.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was at B&N today and noticed they are charging $17 per book and thought that was nuts. They were also the soft covers.

Not gonna lie but lmao at the naked profiteering over a 70 year old book here which, yeah, is well known enough it will be in every second hand bookstore in, like, the world.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

twistedmentat posted:

I will say it looks great on the RokuTV app I'm using as well.

feedmegin posted:

Not gonna lie but lmao at the naked profiteering over a 70 year old book here which, yeah, is well known enough it will be in every second hand bookstore in, like, the world.
:capitalism:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the powder blue doom armor.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The Empire stuff is good, the Terminus stuff is boring as poo poo.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Plenty of cheap copies of Foundation on eBay...

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I have no idea whats happening in this show.

I'll stick with it though. Glad it has a thread on here so maybe people can explain what the gently caress is happening..

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
I enjoyed seeing a ship modeled on a Beowulf free trader in the show.

Also I figure you could preserve some characters through a time skip elsewhere in a ship nearly moving the speed of light. Maybe you take an FTL route to the edge of civilization and slow boat from there.

RaffyTaffy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 3, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RaffyTaffy posted:

I enjoyed seeing a ship modeled on a Beowulf free trader in the show.

Also I figure you could preserve some characters through a time skip elsewhere in a ship nearly moving the speed of light. Maybe you take an FTL route to the edge of civilization and slow boat from there.

The central conceit to the Foundation is a bit silly since they don't really need to make choices on what to save or not, They could store everything in a computer and then go to near lightspeed to get time dialation until the scheduled end of the dark ages and then spread their stored information around all in a matter of days from their perspective.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EvilElmo posted:

I have no idea whats happening in this show.

I'll stick with it though. Glad it has a thread on here so maybe people can explain what the gently caress is happening..
A scientist, Hari Seldon, used his revolutionary new science to predict that the galactic government would fall. The head of that government (who is a clone) didn't want to hear that but there was a terrorist attack that seems to confirm it, so he banished Seldon and all his friends to the farthest edge of the galaxy to write an encyclopaedia. On the way, Seldon was murdered and his assistant thrown off the ship for reasons, as yet, unknown. When they get to their destination, there's a weird artefact there that no one can get near.

Decades pass. There's now a woman who can go near the artefact. No one knows why. One of the nearby planets has taken some threatening actions and the scientists find they can't contact the empire for help.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Nitrousoxide posted:

The central conceit to the Foundation is a bit silly since they don't really need to make choices on what to save or not, They could store everything in a computer and then go to near lightspeed to get time dialation until the scheduled end of the dark ages and then spread their stored information around all in a matter of days from their perspective.

Books: that’s not really the plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don't shorten a dark age by hoarding knowledge until the moment it's over.