Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, especially when it involves las vegas. it’s the world capital of weird/stupid poo poo happening every single day, but none of the weird poo poo that happened that day seems to be connected.

it was an event witnessed by tens of thousands of people with video cameras, in a city with more CCTV coverage per square foot than anywhere else, and all any of them show is one broken window with a shitload of rifle fire pouring out. nothing about the official narrative is implausible, and none of the alternatives theories are supported by documentary evidence. hell, it wasn’t even an impressive feat of marksmanship or luck like Oswald or Hinkley, just some boomer spraying and praying on a mass of people with a bunch of rifles and a shitload of loaded magazines

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
how could it be a weird gun deal or something, the security cameras didn't see a man in a black suit and sunglasses fleeing the building with a big bag labeled 'FED MONEY'?????

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Malcolm Excellent posted:

But where were all the shell casings!?
the floor, i presume

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do like the idea that 'dude randomly began hoarding heavy firearms and just dumped pounds of lead into a random event he had no connection to because he was some wacky boomer' is the most obvious and simple answer, though, just 'shooters be crazy'.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sexpig by night posted:

I do like the idea that 'dude randomly began hoarding heavy firearms and just dumped pounds of lead into a random event he had no connection to because he was some wacky boomer' is the most obvious and simple answer, though, just 'shooters be crazy'.
he could buy that all poo poo in one trip to any large vegas gun store. “dude was a psychopath who wanted to go out big” seems more plausible than any made-up story about “gun smuggling” or whatever. guns are easy as poo poo to get in the US! the feds or saudis or whoever don’t need to go through any weirdo like Paddock to get a shitload of ARs and ammo. just call up any hundreds of stores, or just call Colt, FN, etc. direct!

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
People forget the spree shooters that hate life and want to get a high score on a Wikipedia page before they die. Not everything has to be politically motivated or being a false flag attack.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

adebisi lives posted:

People forget the spree shooters that hate life and want to get a high score on a Wikipedia page before they die. Not everything has to be politically motivated or being a false flag attack.
sorry, but i’ll never stop trying to make every major news event fit my pet theory that the Undead Dulles Bros. are behind every murder in the northern hemisphere

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TenementFunster posted:

he could buy that all poo poo in one trip to any large vegas gun store. “dude was a psychopath who wanted to go out big” seems more plausible than any made-up story about “gun smuggling” or whatever. guns are easy as poo poo to get in the US! the feds or saudis or whoever don’t need to go through any weirdo like Paddock to get a shitload of ARs and ammo. just call up any hundreds of stores, or just call Colt, FN, etc. direct!

it's not that he literally couldn't do it it's that he spent a weird amount of time amassing an unfeasible arsenal for a completely random target, even if he just wanted to 'go out big' there are way more dramatic targets in Literal Las Vegas that don't require you to turn a hotel room into a mini-bunker. Spree killers tend to not use that degree of planning, even with poo poo like school shooters who show that much detail it's a weird amount of time and work to put in to destroy something that he has no links to.

Like, I'm not even saying it literally could only be something more sinister or murky, I'm just saying going 'well shooters be crazy' is kinda a lazy way to dismiss the genuinely insanely strange nature of the shooting. Even if we all agree it was exactly as it looked and he really was just a crazy boomer who wanted to die big it's easily one of the stranger sides of that sort of event.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

adebisi lives posted:

Not everything has to be politically motivated or being a false flag attack.

Except that most things are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing that stood out to me most about Paddock’s attack was that even given his Fish-In-A-Barrel set up, his actual accuracy rating (targets hit per bullets fired) is insane. Either he’s just a master tactician and strategist and set up all the proper dominos mentally and prepared and practiced and was an elite marksman in his own time OR he’s the goddam luckiest psychopath to ever pull the trigger and his time spent in Vegas would have better spent at the craps table smoking dice instead of country music fans

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my stephen paddock theory is that he knew when to hold them, but also knew when to fold them

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing that stood out to me most about Paddock’s attack was that even given his Fish-In-A-Barrel set up, his actual accuracy rating (targets hit per bullets fired) is insane. Either he’s just a master tactician and strategist and set up all the proper dominos mentally and prepared and practiced and was an elite marksman in his own time OR he’s the goddam luckiest psychopath to ever pull the trigger and his time spent in Vegas would have better spent at the craps table smoking dice instead of country music fans

He was dumping magazines with bump stocks into a crowd at a music festival, you don't need to be super accurate to hit a ton of people in that kind of situation. How many rounds do they think he fired because I'd imagine it potentially could have been into the thousands before the barrels on his 20 rifles started going bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

His accuracy wasn't insane. Though the same kind of thinking led to Port Arthur massacre conspiracy theories since Bryant hit so many people in the head at the cafe (ignoring that people sitting are all around the same level).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i never got the 'gun deal' angle. what's the motive there? i could get all the guns at cabela's and the bump stocks online, or just at the county expo center on the third saturday of each month. wasn't he fairly well-off?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the episode went over his occupation in pretty good detail. seems weird to act like people are insane for thinking something is a conspiracy, in the thread for a podcast about insane conspiracies

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

sexpig by night posted:

it's not that he literally couldn't do it it's that he spent a weird amount of time amassing an unfeasible arsenal for a completely random target, even if he just wanted to 'go out big' there are way more dramatic targets in Literal Las Vegas that don't require you to turn a hotel room into a mini-bunker. Spree killers tend to not use that degree of planning, even with poo poo like school shooters who show that much detail it's a weird amount of time and work to put in to destroy something that he has no links to.

Like, I'm not even saying it literally could only be something more sinister or murky, I'm just saying going 'well shooters be crazy' is kinda a lazy way to dismiss the genuinely insanely strange nature of the shooting. Even if we all agree it was exactly as it looked and he really was just a crazy boomer who wanted to die big it's easily one of the stranger sides of that sort of event.
killing a lot of people is the most “dramatic target.” turns out it was a very feasible (and effective!) arsenal and a perfect target if his aim was to set the mass shooter high score. it required maybe 5 minutes of research to find an appropriate event to shoot up, another 5 minutes to book a hotel room with the best view, a few grand worth of guns and ammo, maybe a trip or two to make sure he knew how to operate the rifles if he didn’t already, and a few trips up the elevator to lug all the stuff to his suite. the amount of planning and preparation was trivial considering he shot nearly 500 people.

everything else is unsubstantiated speculation and baseless conspiracy thinking. even Brace and Felix admitted it! there just isn’t any evidence of anything more!

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing that stood out to me most about Paddock’s attack was that even given his Fish-In-A-Barrel set up, his actual accuracy rating (targets hit per bullets fired) is insane.
no it wasn’t. he was just firing into a crowd of people. he wasn’t aiming for specific individuals, just a mass of a couple thousand people

adebisi lives posted:

How many rounds do they think he fired because I'd imagine it potentially could have been into the thousands before the barrels on his 20 rifles started going bad.
yeah, you can fire many hundred of rounds through an AR non-stop before something breaks. he brought around two dozen ARs and fired a couple thousand rounds. ezpz.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 4, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe he was affected by a directed energy weapon

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
crickets drove him to killl

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dude was just having a white boy summer of sam

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

white boy summer of sam

drat that's a good username

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Dude was just having a white boy summer of sam

nice

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
the dumbest thing about the “gun deal” theory is that who the gently caress trafficking a bunch of assorted unmatched guns. if you look at pics of a the guns he actually used, even the same models are all different colors, and different scopes on everything lol. it’s the kind of thing you do when you’re a collector or hobbyist with a ton of money

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
also I suspect the data on shots fired vs people wounded doesn’t account for tons of instances of multiple people being hit by the same bullet (or fragments), and probably lumps in everyone who was officially wounded at the event (not just from gun shot wounds)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Slanderer posted:

the dumbest thing about the “gun deal” theory is that who the gently caress trafficking a bunch of assorted unmatched guns. if you look at pics of a the guns he actually used, even the same models are all different colors, and different scopes on everything lol. it’s the kind of thing you do when you’re a collector or hobbyist with a ton of money
great point, and it wasn’t even that much money for an upper middle class boomer! guns are cheap, and were *historically* cheap back when Stephen was gearing up. his arsenal looks like he just went into his local gun store and bought all the various ARs they had on the wall at the time. totally random assortment as opposed to a premeditated “order.” probably thought buying a bunch of different makes/models would raise less suspicion than trying to buy twenty Colt 6920s at once.

Slanderer posted:

also I suspect the data on shots fired vs people wounded doesn’t account for tons of instances of multiple people being hit by the same bullet (or fragments), and probably lumps in everyone who was officially wounded at the event (not just from gun shot wounds)
ya one bullet makes a bunch of tiny shrapnel fragments, especially when it hits something hard like concrete or asphalt (like the surface the concert was held on!)

fragmentation was a factor in the RFK and Reagan shootings too

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TenementFunster posted:

fragmentation was a factor in the RFK

Now you've done it

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

TenementFunster posted:

hell, it wasn’t even an impressive feat of marksmanship or luck like Oswald or Hinkley

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
(respectively)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

(respectfully)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
John Hinkley please do the needful!!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I have to say the Busch family sounds like monsters but not in any ways that outsize the normal perversions of the ultra wealthy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yeah it was kind of an autopilot ep

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
To be honest they kind of buried the lede with the car accident. Leaving a dead woman covered in blood at the scene of the crime to just walk home and sleep it off is serial killer level poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Bust Rodd posted:

To be honest they kind of buried the lede with the car accident. Leaving a dead woman covered in blood at the scene of the crime to just walk home and sleep it off is serial killer level poo poo
it’s basically whatever fatality DUI psycho does to get away with it, regardless of wealth

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Busch IV flying his helicopter full of guns and drugs, emergency landing in a parking lot, and then being unable to lift off because he's too high was pretty great though. Just one of those great wtf moments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the Busch family are demons but they're pretty normal rich people demons, 100% deserving of nothing but bad things happening to them but not really any special breed of horrific. The 'best' they have is genuinely hilarious cartoon rich person poo poo like, yea, 'I can't fly my helicopter full of drugs and guns, I'm too high from the drugs, better bring it down in this random parking lot'.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
havana syndrome is deffo some American top secret advanced signals intelligence technology that the US is using and just so happens to scramble the brains of its own "diplomats" and spies at the embassies where they are operated. the CIA didn't mind that it was turning some State Deparment nerds into grape jelly so long as they got to listen to every phone call in cuba.

Androies posted:

Busch IV flying his helicopter full of guns and drugs, emergency landing in a parking lot, and then being unable to lift off because he's too high was pretty great though. Just one of those great wtf moments.
king poo poo. owning a helicopter is god's way of saying you have too much money and need to die, tho

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 7, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Satellite based, drone based, or stationary? Or all three with varying success rates?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
To go back to Paddock and the Vegas shooting. He wasn't just 'crazy' but was your good old fashioned right-wing conspiracy theorist who believed that Hurricane Katrina was a dry run for the the police and military to start kicking down doors and taking away guns. He was obsessed with the idea that people were going to have their guns taken away at any moment and told one friend that “somebody has to wake up the American public and get them to arm themselves.”

For whatever reason the FBI and Police have downplayed his fanaticism even though he was fixated on anti-government conspiracy theories, perceived threats of gun control and taxes.

To be sure he was also in declining mental health and his gambling had gotten out of control and it all created a perfect storm, so to speak, but the only reason people think we don't know anything about his motives is that the FBI were downplaying white extremism at the time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Satellite based, drone based, or stationary? Or all three with varying success rates?
my guess is stationary equipment on embassy property. the power of anything “wave” based decreases rapidly with distance, which is why it the side effects are felt by those at the embassy. it also requires a shitload of power, and needs to stay hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

TenementFunster posted:

my guess is stationary equipment on embassy property. the power of anything “wave” based decreases rapidly with distance, which is why it the side effects are felt by those at the embassy. it also requires a shitload of power, and needs to stay hidden.

100% this, though at this point some reports are genuine hysteria and others are deliberate obfuscation.