Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

pik_d posted:

Someone please screenshot a baby lox and post it here

Not my pic but that's a Lox Calf on the right. We had two of them in our lox pit last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Does the Butcher knife one hit kill them, or do you have a huge angry and/or mobile hp sink to deal with?

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I am assume so since the butcher knife does close to 800 damage to wolves/boars and lox usually have 600 health but sometimes have 1000 health.
Slaughter our mounts though??? ... Maybe when there's a ton of them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes I wish there was a way to track animals, even just vaguely, because nothing kills a new world faster than a complete inability to find a good number of boar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Since the patch I can hardly run a hundred meters through the meadows without stepping on a pack of boars

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I just imaged, what if there was a super rare event where your village got attacked by 2 or 3 weakened versions of bosses. Maybe even color swap them so they're like when you're playing Final Fight or Double Dragon and the boss from the first level comes back as a normal enemy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think you wouldn't have a base left after.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Wind needs to not change directions 10 times per day pls. Or at least shift between two neighboring cardinal directions. "N-NW-W-N-W" I can deal with. I can plan a voyage around that. But this "N-S-N-NE-W-E-S random lol" bollucks forcing me to paddle upwind for half the trip isn't fun.

Other than the random wind, the sailing feels pretty good and enjoyable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Game needs a way to steer the wind

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since the patch I can hardly run a hundred meters through the meadows without stepping on a pack of boars

The thought came to me after a friend and I started a new game and the meadows we started in was loving packed with raspberries and boars but what we could find in the Black Forest quickly turned south. We found a single crypt with 3 cores after at least an hour and a half of looking. I started a couple new worlds on my own today just to see if I could find a better world and that is when I found barely any boars. There weren’t enough for 1 person, much less 2.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kibayasu posted:

The thought came to me after a friend and I started a new game and the meadows we started in was loving packed with raspberries and boars but what we could find in the Black Forest quickly turned south. We found a single crypt with 3 cores after at least an hour and a half of looking. I started a couple new worlds on my own today just to see if I could find a better world and that is when I found barely any boars. There weren’t enough for 1 person, much less 2.

The new world I started with for Hearth and Home has a staggeringly huge starting continent that I haven't found the northern tip of yet.

For scale, this is fully zoomed out:

If you've never played on a map with such a huge starting island continent, seed is 6nfDGwibMH

Got boars galore as I've found around 6 boarstones scattered not far from the spawn.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I never did figure out my boar problem. They never bred, never stopped trying to escape my pen and return to where they spawned, and ended up dying because they never healed. Maybe wolves will go better?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Did you feed them?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Jabarto posted:

I never did figure out my boar problem. They never bred, never stopped trying to escape my pen and return to where they spawned, and ended up dying because they never healed. Maybe wolves will go better?

I've had the same thing happen, it's really bizarre. They'll stay in a perpetual state of panic until they die. The whole taming system/process needs to be fleshed out. Taming is dull/tedious and then once tamed getting the things to move/not suicide themselves is painful. I brought two tame lox back to my meadows base on a boat, which was a journey in itself, and ended up needing to build triple thick stone walls to keep them from trying to smash their way out every time a Greyling walks by.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The new food system really doesn't seem any better. I just unlocked the level 2 cauldron, but most of the foods are much harder to make while offering rather marginal upgrades. Really all I want is the food to last like twice as long :smith:

I guess it's modding time

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I expect that the next update will introduce either material costs for repairs or straight up unrepairable wear that causes you to build and carry multiple copies of the same item. Maybe building pieces can degrade over time (more than they already do from weather) and also require materials to maintain. Or iron bars can require two pieces of scrap to smelt!

I complain, but I've also put like 30 hours into a new world this week.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Synastren posted:

The new world I started with for Hearth and Home has a staggeringly huge starting continent that I haven't found the northern tip of yet.

We have a similar thing going on. I tried sailing around and mapping the shoreline, but the loving thing just goes on and on, sprawling every which way. Turned around when I found plains. On the same landmass. :shepface: Well, except for one narrow river across an isthmus. Ain't got a picture handy atm, as I'm not at home.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 3, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just downed Moder by rotating poison and fire arrows while running in and out of the pit dug around the altar. The whole thing was such a slog, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Instead of relying on mechanics, I felt like I was exploiting the lovely AI.

Can someone who knows more about game design explain why the boss fight was such a slog and how they can fix it?

It didn't help that several of the wipes happened due to a badly timed mix if golems and wolves and dragons.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

I just downed Moder by rotating poison and fire arrows while running in and out of the pit dug around the altar. The whole thing was such a slog, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Instead of relying on mechanics, I felt like I was exploiting the lovely AI.

Can someone who knows more about game design explain why the boss fight was such a slog and how they can fix it?

It didn't help that several of the wipes happened due to a badly timed mix if golems and wolves and dragons.
Not using the time she lands to hit her with melee attacks probably didn't help.

This thread is sometimes weirdly melee-averse and keeps commenting that such-and-such boss took ages to whittle down with arrows. The Elder, imo, is really the only one who is better engaged at range. I just used my bow to keep pressure while flying.

Or used the flying phases to kill the adds. Parrying a golem and switching to the pick while they were staggered does loads of damage really fast.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 3, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's because the combat system is lowkey pretty bad and winning fights with mobs is mostly just about whether or not you have the proper tier of equipment and memorizing their movement/attack pattern. Whereas winning fights against bosses is.... also mostly just about whether or not you have the proper tier of equipment and memorizing their movement/attack pattern. Except it's a boss so it has a shitload of HP and is much more mobile so killing it takes forever.

Valheim's combat is serviceable as a sideshow but it definitely doesn't shine in boss fights.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the only boss fight i had fun with was the elder fir whatever reason

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My feelings about Valheim are so complicated. I love this game, I have like 600 hours in it and still play it regularly, yet most of the posts I've made in this thread have been complaining about its flaws. I've never had this dissonant experience with a game before. All I can say is the things Valheim does right, it does really right.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly, I thought all the boss fights were pretty fun. We built some walls between trees in the swamp for the bonemass and some places to dry off and recover if we got hit, so it felt like it really rewarded our preparation.

We summoned the deer right into a bonfire we were using to make last minute snacks before the fight so he started out on fire which was pretty funny.

We dug a big trench between us and the elder and ranged him down with fire arrows which felt like the correct way to kill a big tree.

Moder we just kind of ran around on a mountaintop and beat with maces. Same for Yagluth except replace mountaintop with plains. The keys to those fights were really making the right kind of mead which again felt like being rewarded for taking the time to prepare.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The music makes the boss fights feel 70% more fun than they actually are

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Not using the time she lands to hit her with melee attacks probably didn't help.

This thread is sometimes weirdly melee-averse and keeps commenting that such-and-such boss took ages to whittle down with arrows. The Elder, imo, is really the only one who is better engaged at range. I just used my bow to keep pressure while flying.

Or used the flying phases to kill the adds. Parrying a golem and switching to the pickel while they were staggered does loads of damage really fast.

Moder in particular has terrible melee hitboxes and the locations that the game spawns her in tend to be loving terrible for melee (and her attacks deform the terrain to make it even worse). Also sometimes when you go into melee she just glitches and pins you down in place until she flies again.

It's a poo poo boss. It really needs a large pre-constructed arena like all the other bosses to be remotely functional.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's such nonsense. We fought Moder on the ridge of a mountain, and melee'd her plenty, it was fine.

Bonemass is the only one you need to do any terraforming for, and even that is just levelling the ground out to get rid of big water pockets.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Firebert posted:

Moder in particular has terrible melee hitboxes and the locations that the game spawns her in tend to be loving terrible for melee (and her attacks deform the terrain to make it even worse). Also sometimes when you go into melee she just glitches and pins you down in place until she flies again.

It's a poo poo boss. It really needs a large pre-constructed arena like all the other bosses to be remotely functional.

I can't say I generally noticed terrible hitboxes but I have always fought her solo so maybe it was worse with more people trying to get near her sides. Also never noticed the glitches, but again, I could have been lucky.

As for terrain, she seemed more than fine even with a spear to me? Granted I use the spear throw a lot in near-melee range especially on uneven terrain.

E: same as above, I only felt the need to terraform for Bonemass, and that lines up with the swamp terraforming plan.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ravenfood posted:

I can't say I generally noticed terrible hitboxes but I have always fought her solo so maybe it was worse with more people trying to get near her sides. Also never noticed the glitches, but again, I could have been lucky.

As for terrain, she seemed more than fine even with a spear to me? Granted I use the spear throw a lot in near-melee range especially on uneven terrain.

The hitboxes are most noticeably bad on hills when you're slightly above what you're trying to hit

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Game needs a way to steer the wind

There is, but it's fairly late and on a long cooldown.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
:checks watch: is it time for the thread to talk about being bored arrowing enemies again?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

The music makes the boss fights feel 70% more fun than they actually are

This is true, that music is awesome.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Moder, at night, with a relatively large group, everyone with draugr fangs, is just a gorgeous fight.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is, but it's fairly late and on a long cooldown.

And you have to spend you power slot on it and it comes with wind boost. I want something you craft or wield or use that just toots the wind in a direction, wind-waker style. Can keep the wind whatever speed it naturally is at that time or whatever but anything to avoid a situation where you're trying to sail south, but the wind is blowing north so you just try to sail the least un-south you can without hitting land.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just wish the raft was faster.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Kibayasu posted:

I just wish the raft was faster.

I know every game from harvest moon til this and everything inbetween makes every initial part of the tech tree feel so lovely so you get that endorphin rush from the progression of ease, but hoo boy the shittiness of that raft is something special.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I have rafts all over my world at the moment because I'm an idiot that likes to die well away from any portal. Then get greedy and continue on, only to die further away when I recover it the first time.

Know all too well how much that thing sucks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly think it goes slower with the sails out than just using the rudder.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I feel the raft is just something you use if you want to build stuff on water like bridges. As a boat it’s obviously useless.

I would love it if you could jig a workbench and a chest on it to use it as floating construction pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i only ever used the raft to make very short crossings to new islands that were pretty close to my starting one. for anything more it's dogshit useless.