Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It is in the base game, in the job details click the "paused when satisfied" check mark and you'll get options to control the exact levels they start and stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kestral posted:

For anyone who wants to think about that along with me, the fictional gimmick of native tinctoria is that the colorant it produces is psychoreactive: you can’t do the glitterworld-intended thing of being able to choose what color the plant grows like a Photoshop palette anymore, but whatever color it does produce will change depending on the psychic environment nearby, and I imagine it has an effect on texture as well – if you’ve seen the first episode of Foundation, the Emperor’s mural wall would probably be made with this stuff. Clothing dyed with it might shift subtly in tint and shade over the course of an emotionally-charged conversation, a painting made with the pigments captures the emotions and intentions of a psylinked imperial artist and reflects them more clearly to the viewer, that sort of thing.
this being the case i'd re-fluff it as what amounts to henna with a psychic sensitivity twist. the common dye version is -10% psychic sensitivity when used, the rich dye version is +10% psychic sensitivity. the 'high' lasts X hours and there's no addiction chance under any circumstances because bro it's henna.

this provides a very good reason for combat suppliers to buy the dye. imperial psycasters and tribal chieftains that have natural psylinks would enthusiastically pursue the rich dye in order to increase the power of their psycasts, while every other soldier that might be fighting those psycasters would want the common version of it in case the psycaster they're trying to shoot tosses nausea pulse their way.

players will appreciate it for the same reason. being able to buff the psychic sensitivity of your trader with a psychic reader right before going into negotiations would be really sick, and having everyone able to throw on common dyes to take the edge off of a high gendered drone would make those situations feel less punishing. they're niche uses, but farming is simple and they don't exactly go bad after crafting so is there any real downside to having all your psykers carry around two rich kits, and make two common kits standard issue to everyone?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 1, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

drat those sound kinda neat Coolguye.

And here I was thinking about, "hey maybe you could also throw a "painting" art piece in that mod that uses the dye and can be mounted on a wall or something!"

ooohhhh maybe they can give better boosts to meditation bonuses when placed near their appropriate meditation spot and have different themes for the different spots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could conceivably add tattoos as a surgery using the dye, if you don't mind a bit of feature creep. Beauty modifiers, psychic sensitivity modification, possibly pain shock threshold if you want to extend the war mask logic.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Coolguye posted:

players will appreciate it for the same reason. being able to buff the psychic sensitivity of your trader with a psychic reader right before going into negotiations would be really sick, and having everyone able to throw on common dyes to take the edge off of a high gendered drone would make those situations feel less punishing. they're niche uses, but farming is simple and they don't exactly go bad after crafting so is there any real downside to having all your psykers carry around two rich kits, and make two common kits standard issue to everyone?

these are pretty cool ideas. to kinda take them further: for the temporary application, pawns can either apply it themselves (think like, just smearing it across your face and arms like battle paint) for just the bonus, or you could hijack some of the medical operation stuff to make a second pawn apply it as makeup (using the art skill) to get the psychic sensitivity benefit plus a beauty/social buff? you could even add it to a noble's requirements; they want to either do it themselves at a styling station or some new furniture like a vanity, or they want another pawn to apply it to them every day

(this makes me want the noble system to be expanded in some ways, which I guess ideology also kind of does - it would be neat if there were other factions you could gain titles/honor from that would have different requirements for things like throne rooms and the like. I think there was a mod called something like Megacorps that did something similar?)

OwlFancier posted:

You could conceivably add tattoos as a surgery using the dye, if you don't mind a bit of feature creep. Beauty modifiers, psychic sensitivity modification, possibly pain shock threshold if you want to extend the war mask logic.

this could be neat too - lots of little benefits you could have

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

kestral already mentioned they're not a great modder, friends, a lot of the things you're suggesting are quite elaborate and also use completely different systems than the consumptive/drug systems they're already engaging with. :v:

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Thinking about reinstalling this one with the new ideologies. Are there any good "more is more" mod packs? Manually ordering mods through rules of thumb + trial and error is just too painful. Having one mostly set up for me that I can slide a few extra mods into and remove a few others would be ideal, you know?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly modding is pretty simple and you don't need to get crazy specific in ordering. Put libraries and certain other things that specifically mention it at the top of the list (hugslib, SRTS, etc), keep mods that modify other mods below their dependencies, and you're generally good to go. Rimworld is astoundingly elegant about how it handles huge mod lists.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

OnlyBans posted:

Thinking about reinstalling this one with the new ideologies. Are there any good "more is more" mod packs? Manually ordering mods through rules of thumb + trial and error is just too painful. Having one mostly set up for me that I can slide a few extra mods into and remove a few others would be ideal, you know?

As someone who started a new Ideology game too, I highly recommend using the Rimpy mod manager. It makes your life a lot easier to move mods around and it even has an auto sorting option.

I've gone from having 3 mods to roughly 40 with no problems at all.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Once again recommending RimPy to anyone who wants to manage a bunch of mods or launch offline.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

This would be a reason to not simply slap bionics onto everyone. I like alternatives to just slapping bionics onto everyone.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Coolguye posted:

basically every game that has ever attempted to implement a larger economy has made a complete mess of it so i'm not super eager to watch rimworld give it a shot, truthfully. if it is part of a larger play where demand actually means something and settlements will rise and fall based upon unfilled opportunities and unmet needs respectively then sure that's basically how the X series runs and it can get really interesting. but if we're going back to another dwarf fortress setup where people arbitrarily gut the prices of certain commodities and spike the prices of others then i'm not really convinced that's bringing anything to the table - especially considering how easy it is to be self-sufficient in Rimworld, crashes for your preferred trade goods would just mean you'd stop trading for a while and there would be only schizophrenic upsides for you.

I like the idea of each settlement just having a semi-randomly-assigned export good that they specialize in and sell at a discount, and another trade good that they will pay above market for. And maybe you don't find out what those things are until you visit each settlement.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Coolguye posted:

this being the case i'd re-fluff it as what amounts to henna with a psychic sensitivity twist. the common dye version is -10% psychic sensitivity when used, the rich dye version is +10% psychic sensitivity. the 'high' lasts X hours and there's no addiction chance under any circumstances because bro it's henna.

this provides a very good reason for combat suppliers to buy the dye. imperial psycasters and tribal chieftains that have natural psylinks would enthusiastically pursue the rich dye in order to increase the power of their psycasts, while every other soldier that might be fighting those psycasters would want the common version of it in case the psycaster they're trying to shoot tosses nausea pulse their way.

Oh-ho, I like that. “Niche useful” is right where it should be, and psychic sensitivity fits the theme. I’ll get started on this and the flake variant tonight and see where it takes me.

Re: feature creep and my modding capabilities, yeah, the reality is that I can only do so much with this, plus I do want the core concept of “I can make a valuable cash crop that isn’t spacedrugs” to hew very closely to vanilla, so that people who don’t like to go much beyond vanilla can still use it. That said, I love the suggestions that are being made. I’ve put the whole thing under a Creative Commons license, and I’d have absolutely no issues with more competent modders taking what I’ve started and spinning out more elaborate systems from what I’ve started – in fact, it’d be an honor. Once I put this thing public, I’d be happy to see it take on a life beyond what my limited abilities can give it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Frances Nurples posted:

Once again recommending RimPy to anyone who wants to manage a bunch of mods or launch offline.

Rimpy is so useful and important that if you're running more than a couple of mods I would say it's completely essential. It has saved me literally hours of time that would have been wasted loving around with mod load orders, reloading the game, and making sure all of my mods are up to date.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm a bit bothered that sight gets capped so often when calculating work speed on various tasks. I like that idea of something different that you could apply to various biological parts that would get enhanced by the tattooed dye.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kestral posted:

Oh-ho, I like that. “Niche useful” is right where it should be, and psychic sensitivity fits the theme. I’ll get started on this and the flake variant tonight and see where it takes me.

Re: feature creep and my modding capabilities, yeah, the reality is that I can only do so much with this, plus I do want the core concept of “I can make a valuable cash crop that isn’t spacedrugs” to hew very closely to vanilla, so that people who don’t like to go much beyond vanilla can still use it. That said, I love the suggestions that are being made. I’ve put the whole thing under a Creative Commons license, and I’d have absolutely no issues with more competent modders taking what I’ve started and spinning out more elaborate systems from what I’ve started – in fact, it’d be an honor. Once I put this thing public, I’d be happy to see it take on a life beyond what my limited abilities can give it.

strictly speaking the MIT or Apache 2.0 license is more appropriate for this situation than CC because it relates to code, but since this will never be a commercial product and it sounds like you don't care that terribly much if someone outright plagiarizes you (i wouldn't either - bigger fish to fry than enforcing creative honesty on a rimworld mod), the point's largely academic.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Coolguye posted:

strictly speaking the MIT or Apache 2.0 license is more appropriate for this situation than CC because it relates to code, but since this will never be a commercial product and it sounds like you don't care that terribly much if someone outright plagiarizes you (i wouldn't either - bigger fish to fry than enforcing creative honesty on a rimworld mod), the point's largely academic.

Huh! I'll have a look at those licenses tomorrow. I'm certainly not going to expend much time and energy over mod plagiarism, but what I more have in mind is empowering folks like the absolutely heroic person who keeps updating abandoned mods, or who seem to crop up from time to time on promising mods from old versions to say, "I like this and I want to do more with it, can I?"

Speaking of which, Native Dyes updated to version 1.1. I won’t spam the thread with updates and changelogs, but I do want to post this one here to give a heads-up to folks who downloaded the original version, since it may affect them. Also, it’s nearly much in a state I’m happy with for taking it public, barring a little more polishing, so it seems like a good time to show what folks here helped make!

Changelog posted:

Terminology changes. The refined products of native tinctoria are now known as spectra dyes, spectra pigments, and spectra decoctions.

Added spectra dye. Equivalent to flake’s economic properties (labor, market value, etc.), produced from native dye base. Applies -10% psychic sensitivity for 6 hours when consumed.

Added spectra pigment. Equivalent to yayo’s economic properties (labor, market value, etc.), produced from native dye base. Applies +10% psychic sensitivity for 6 hours when consumed.

Added spectra decoction. Equivalent to psychite tea’s economic properties (labor, market value, etc.), produced from native dye base. Applies a +10% meditation focus gain bonus, +3% sight bonus, and +4 mood for 4 hours when consumed. Spectra tincture is unlocked via Psychoid Brewing.

ThingDefs and RecipeDefs for rich native dye have been left in place to prevent save breakage. I’ll remove these in the next major version, so make sure to use up or delete any leftover rich native dye, or DevMode replace your leftovers with spectra pigment. I tested it on my development save and my live, heavily-modded save and nothing broke so far as I can tell. If something does break, please let me know and I’ll provide the original 1.0 archive.

Changed tech Native dyes to Spectra colorants. The defName has remained the same, only the label and description have changed, so it should be save-compatible.

I’ll be curious to know how the stat effects on consumption end up, in game balance terms. I suspect I’m going to want to tune spectra decoction down a bit, but we’ll see.

Oh, and I found out why my tinctoria only requires 30% light to grow: it’s because actual tinctoria, from which I partially copied the stats, only requires 30% light to grow! TIL, you can grow vanilla dye plants under a floor lamp :monocle: I have no idea what to do with this information, but I feel like there's something fun you could do with a mountain base full of flowers.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 2, 2021

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So I got a quest to take on 33 Fission Mice in exchange for some sweet loot, a creature I'd never heard of before and immediately assume would explode in a nuclear blast or something, but I took it on out of curiosity.

Turns out Fission mice split into three when killed, and then those new mice also split into a further three each.

This doesn't show the the army of them still milling around, since the manhunter state doesn't transfer to the offspring, so I'm currently marshalling every colonist who is capable into butchering this lot before it rots, at which point I'll likely have enough meat to tide me over for an entire year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Turns out the drought event (I'm assuming from Vanilla Events Expanded) does in fact override the "it'll rain if x number of tiles are on fire" rule, so this was a bad time to throw a molotov onto my post-raid corpse pile.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kestral posted:

Huh! I'll have a look at those licenses tomorrow. I'm certainly not going to expend much time and energy over mod plagiarism, but what I more have in mind is empowering folks like the absolutely heroic person who keeps updating abandoned mods, or who seem to crop up from time to time on promising mods from old versions to say, "I like this and I want to do more with it, can I?"
CC should get this point across, but MIT is more technically correct. i don't mean to be a pedant about this, but these licenses affect my everyday job so i just happen to know this poo poo off the top of my head.

MIT license is this:
code:
MIT License

Copyright (c) [year] [fullname]

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.
the net effect here is that to use your code, they have to put your copyright and your [fullname] tag in it, acknowledging your contributions. it does NOT stop them from making closed source stuff and it DOES stop them from yelling at you for some bug you didn't know about (that's the "as is" portion).

apache 2.0 is a little more restrictive and legal-y. i'll just link an example of that one since it's spammy af for this context: https://choosealicense.com/licenses/apache-2.0/

the net effect here is that if someone builds off your work, in addition to acknowledging your contributions as the MIT license above, they ALSO have to call it something different (even if it's just "native dyes redux" or some poo poo) because it constitutes a state change from your original work. it still has the 'as is' stuff that keeps people from yelling at you for bugs.

you can also just go full anarchy and go for The Unlicense: https://choosealicense.com/licenses/unlicense/

this literally just says "you can't yell at me for bugs but beyond that do whatever the black gently caress you want i am beyond caring".

creative commons has an entire battery of sub-licenses that navigate the specifics of writing random bodies of work rather than specifically code (which lives in its own context of being executable, iterable, bugs existing, etc).

here's a few links to specific variants for different corpus situations and you'll see what i mean pretty fast:
https://choosealicense.com/licenses/cc0-1.0/
https://choosealicense.com/licenses/cc-by-4.0/
https://choosealicense.com/licenses/cc-by-sa-4.0/

basically if you start reading it all the language of work trying to establish what the corpus being freed up is will gently caress with code because a codebase can be vivisected for a few functions and still be valuable, so it's arguable if the license applies.

obv in am subtly pushing the MIT license here. it's really permissive but ensures that you have a right to be thanked for your work.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

PiCroft posted:

Growing hysteresis is super useful at controlling your yields, allowing you to automatically stop sowing when you exceed a certain amount and restart when you drop below a lower threshold.

I also like the mod, whatever it is, that lets you make 20 meals at once. It takes a while per job but it means my cooks aren’t constantly dashing back to the kitchen whenever someone takes that meal that drops me below my threshold. I wish there was a hysteresis for production jobs too so I could produce a certain amount then stop until it drops below a threshold so I don’t have people constantly topping up the moment an item is consumed.

Farming Hysteresis: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2431191516

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
RIP Bono, started a social fight with a a chick with an Archotech Powerarm.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Hi thread, is there a mod that limits raid-enemies to your tech-level (or below)? As much as I want to like this game, getting raided by peeps in marine armour and/or rocket launchers (or ******* mechanoids) when I'm only on bows & arrows or pistols is starting to grate on me.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FnF posted:

Hi thread, is there a mod that limits raid-enemies to your tech-level (or below)? As much as I want to like this game, getting raided by peeps in marine armour and/or rocket launchers (or ******* mechanoids) when I'm only on bows & arrows or pistols is starting to grate on me.

You can do it with the world customization options added in the 1.3 patch. Just remove all factions that aren't tribal or medieval (as well as the Mechanoid faction, empire, etc...).

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
If a pawn gets a shoulder destroyed, is there any prosthesis that replaces it?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ristolaz posted:

Bionic arms attach at the shoulder

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

VFE's armoured walls are wonderful :allears: He's been out there all night, you'll get through eventually buddy!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

why not just turn down the difficulty at that point?

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

everybody doe their own thing that is what makes rimworld beatufl

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still want to fight mechanoids, I just don't like them chewing through my walls at light speed. Armoured walls can still be destroyed by everything else, just not breach specific weapons

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Could you post the medical report for the pawn in question? I’m not sure it is possible to actually destroy the shoulder without compromising the torso and killing the pawn.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Could you post the medical report for the pawn in question? I’m not sure it is possible to actually destroy the shoulder without compromising the torso and killing the pawn.

now imagining a freezer full of corpses that he's going to "repair"

he won't lose anyone ever again

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You can do it with the world customization options added in the 1.3 patch. Just remove all factions that aren't tribal or medieval (as well as the Mechanoid faction, empire, etc...).

Thanks, but sadly that's not quite what I meant. The different factions & armament types provide a nice amount of variety - and I want to play with those toys too! - but I don't want to be raided by them while I'm still using hilariously primative technology (compared to what the raiders are using). Once I'm past e.g. Industrial I'm happy enough for them to be possible adversaries, but not when I've only just discovered electricity.

So I guess I want something that dynamically reduces/expands the raid equipment/faction options, based upon the colony's current technology level. Does anyone know of a mod that does anything like this?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Never used it, but https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2111808313 says it does what you want.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Danaru posted:

Bionic arms attach at the shoulder

Sorry, this is still unclear to me. Does that mean she can't attach a bionic arm? and that there's nothing I can do to replace it?

Coolguye posted:

She's been having a bad time. The shoulder injury was from a mech with a charge lance I believe (year 1, thanks randy)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah the Shoulder is the attachment point for an Arm of any kind, you can just stitch one in there and it’ll be right as rain

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Yeah, bionic arm is the answer. Unfortunately if you lose a shoulder, you can't use field hands/drill arms anymore, which kinda sucks. Can only be attached to biological arms, not bionic ones

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

She's been having a bad time. The shoulder injury was from a mech with a charge lance I believe (year 1, thanks randy)
ah, yeah, slap a chrome arm on that bad boy and you're in good shape. the confusion here is that the shoulder as rimworld talks about it is actually part of the arm, but there's another body part related to it that's it's more part of the torso, which cannot be destroyed without killing the pawn.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 3, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ristolaz posted:

Sorry, this is still unclear to me. Does that mean she can't attach a bionic arm? and that there's nothing I can do to replace it?

Nah you're good, as long as you have a torso, you can weld on a bionic arm :v: If you don't, you probably don't want to put an arm on that pawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Thanks all,

It's year 1 and I'm tribal so it'll be a while before bionic arms. But I don't leave pawns behind. Unless I gently caress up, which is insanely often