Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like when a lot of places were dealing with similar ideas around the same time in different ways. Plus we get some many games churned out that lack any novelty or curiosity that you can't even think of a funny label for em, just file them into their respective genre folders, that I appreciate when a little rat pack forms around some little offshoot concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Aeterna: Noctus is another Metroidvania I'm not sold on. I want to give it props for having hand-drawn animation for most enemies and the main character (as opposed to cut-out tweening), but the combat is unfortunately very stiff, and there's a lot of very flat level design... the screenshots show better theming and level design so I dunno why the opening area is so flat. Probably trying to mimic Hollow Knight, as this game ALSO has pins to buy for the map (and I bought a region map from the merchant and it didn't seem to do anything? Not sure if that was a bug or if I'm missing something). Thing about HK though is that seconds beyond the opening town you already have deep platforming and exploration in that game, here it's just flat each way to start off.

I had Aeterna noctus on my wishlist so I decided to try the demo out. The backstory is pretty bland and the narrator voice acting awful. The combat didn't really draw me in either, so I'm pretty wary on actually buying it now.

However I am gonna give Astlibra revision a try after seeing it in action now.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

so when are we getting a Groundhog Day life sim?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bees x1000 posted:

That’s Hitman.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1087500/Groundhog_Day_Like_Father_Like_Son/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TeaJay posted:

I had Aeterna noctus on my wishlist so I decided to try the demo out. The backstory is pretty bland and the narrator voice acting awful. The combat didn't really draw me in either, so I'm pretty wary on actually buying it now.

However I am gonna give Astlibra revision a try after seeing it in action now.
Just bear in mind it will feel a little clunky at first moving and jumping, I feel like I was behind the 8 ball already by using a Steam controller, but you move a little slow until you enable the dash ability in the Karon menu. Also you'll need to change the language to English in the options because it defaults to Japanese.

I have these demos left to try: Aspire, BIOTA, Crystal Project, Deep Rune, Dread Delusion, Endless Firepower, Fallen Aces, Forgive Me Father, Lil Gator, Perfect Tides, Rise of the Third Power, Strange Horticulture, Supplice, Teabat, Victory Heat Rally, Warp Soldier, Young Souls

I'll probably play a couple tonight and then another big chunk in the morning. So far I've added The Bookwalker, The Case of the Golden Idol, Pompom, Glyph, Treasures of the Aegean, Lone Fungus, Haiku the Robot, Bat Boy, and Gastova to my wishlist after playing their demos. (Although for Lone Fungus it's probably going to depend on its MSRP)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I liked both Returnal and Deathloop but I'd say Outer Wilds is the best time loop game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Meanwhile Hyperviolent is more interesting, but very rough. For one thing, it runs like poo poo. It's other big issue is that the shooting feels very imprecise and floaty. It's odd...the game seems to have some immersive sim elements in that you're pretty squishy, very slow, and you're navigating a somewhat labyrinthine, space station environment, but there's no stealth whatsoever, a lot of combat, and, from what I can tell, no character upgrades or anything, though that might come later. It could definitely use a map. I'm not sure if it's in the demo, but one of the game's big selling points is that it's got sections that play like Descent, which I would like to see. Cool visual style to the whole thing tho.

Oh yeah, one thing for Hyperviolent is that it definitely has A Look. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, in that the first person player sprites are highly detailed and animated, the monsters are more simplistic, around Doom-level, and the environments are polygonal and there's lots of coloured lighting which tanks the framerate. Any idea what exact old game it's trying to emulate?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 3, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Palpek posted:

I'm only wondering when the biggest studios start incoroporating it into their CODs and their rear end Creeds.

Time Looping modern day storyline that continually prevents you returning to the Animus to actually play the fun part of the game :gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally decided to spin up To the Moon

i guess standards for plot-heavy indie games were a lot lower ten years ago

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm pretty ignorant of comics and marvel stuff so I had a feeling Kamala Khan was Ms. Marvel but wasn't positive. I'm playing the Avengers game on gamepass and they went from '"You're a girl who entered a contest" to "Now use your giant hands to climb up to the next area!" without much of a transition. It felt like they skipped a scene establishing her powers or something because I was asked to climb up to a ledge and her arms turned into huge ropy silly putty arms to pull herself up. Nothing bad but I just laughed when all the sudden my arms were gigantic and I was like 'oh right, i'm that super hero'.

Game's good though! I probably won't be roping any of my friends in to play with me but so far the story has been neat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerusalem posted:

Time Looping modern day storyline that continually prevents you returning to the Animus to actually play the fun part of the game :gonk:
Hmmm when you think about it technically all rear end Creeds are already time loop games because the lore is that when the historical protagonist dies you lose synchronization with his memory and he's just looped back before the death happened because that's not how the events unfolded in reality.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah, one thing for Hyperviolent is that it definitely has A Look. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, in that the first person player sprites are highly detailed and animated, the monsters are more simplistic, around Doom-level, and the environments are polygonal and there's lots of coloured lighting which tanks the framerate. Any idea what exact old game it's trying to emulate?

That's the look of many sprite-based FPSes including Doom:

However, I don't think the difference in pixels has ever been as big as in Hyperviolent. It looks like they overdid it and skimped a bit too much on those monster sprites.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

but time doesn't actually loop because it's just a computer simulation using the memories of the protagonist. time doesn't loop for the protagonist because they lived a linear life and died, it only appears to reset for you, the 'player' in the future, because the simulation is rolling back to a known good state from before you broke it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Palpek posted:

Hmmm when you think about it technically all rear end Creeds are already time loop games because the lore is that when the historical protagonist dies you lose synchronization with his memory and he's just looped back before the death happened because that's not how the events unfolded in reality.

Gonna call foul on that one unless you would consider all video game checkpointing a time loop since it's merely that in universe(particularly in Black Flag). Time has still passed linearly for the protagonist.

Similarly, I wouldn't consider the framing device around the checkpointing for Prince of Persia time looping.
edit: Beaten

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 3, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, those are good points, I guess a proper time loop requires repeating a certain period of time while retaining something from the previous loop (even if it's just knowledge) and not just rewinding to a previous state.

I think that the current wave of time loop realeases started with the growing popularity of roguelites in recent years and their tendency to let you play a (randomized) level again while retaining certain unlocks from the previous run to make the progress more tangible to the player. This gameplay model saves a lot of work on game assets and level design so it's an attractive idea to studios. The problem is that more story-driven games need a narrative explaination for that kind of thing and a time loop is perfect for it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 3, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

finally decided to spin up To the Moon

i guess standards for plot-heavy indie games were a lot lower ten years ago

Its a decent walking simulator game.
It grew on me the longer I played it, and did enjoy the ending.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had a prophetic vision of this tag and it was full of games that feature weird specific parts of time loop games, like either time, or loops, but no actual timeloops.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I had a prophetic vision of this tag and it was full of games that feature weird specific parts of time loop games, like either time, or loops, but no actual timeloops.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

huh, I did not expect be answered so literally

Orv
May 4, 2011
The monkey's paw is swift and capricious.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOvGjxM1xg
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1766740/ChooChoo_Charles/

I guess it was inevitable that we'd get a knock-off Thomas the Abomination Engine game. Dunno about the gameplay but boy does it have a slick atmosphere.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Two Star games? Sounds about right.

I love the way that the character that is the focal point of the game has no animation whatsoever for turning and just snaps to different angles.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been thinking of buying Deliver us to the Moon for quite a long time but decided to wait until I got a new video card.

That was over a year ago and I still haven't been able to get one. Any idea how it will perform on a 970?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Gonna call foul on that one unless you would consider all video game checkpointing a time loop since it's merely that in universe(particularly in Black Flag). Time has still passed linearly for the protagonist.

All games with loss conditions that aren't permanent are time loops. New Game +, speed running, save and reload, etc. are the logic of the time loop.

Making the time loop logic explicit narratively is a perfect fit for games which is why we're seeing a boom as the generation that grew up on Groundhog Day enters their 30s and 40s.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sailor Dave posted:

I guess it was inevitable that we'd get a knock-off Thomas the Abomination Engine game. Dunno about the gameplay but boy does it have a slick atmosphere.

But why

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

But why

Streamers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fair point

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

fez_machine posted:

All games with loss conditions that aren't permanent are time loops. New Game +, speed running, save and reload, etc. are the logic of the time loop.

Making the time loop logic explicit narratively is a perfect fit for games which is why we're seeing a boom as the generation that grew up on Groundhog Day enters their 30s and 40s.

The narrative framing is what makes it a time loop, nothing is retained within a universe with traditional saving and loading checkpoint mechanics it is simply returned to a different state as if the latter events never happened.

Any change that happens is external to the state of the game.

New Game+ is different but I would argue it's simply a new different state with the same linear narrative.

Edit: For arguments sake, would you consider replaying a video a time loop and if not what is the difference?

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 4, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sailor Dave posted:

I admit, before I clicked the link I was expecting "Run from *thing* all game = spooky" barely above asset flip cash grab, and not "Your end goal is to craft a BATTLE TRAIN to kill the spooky train :black101: "

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Edit: For arguments sake, would you consider replaying a video a time loop and if not what is the difference?

The fundamental appeal of a time loop narrative is a pre-determined world that is mastered by an individual who knows that the world is pre-determined and can use their ability to replay the world to experiment, gain proficiency and knowledge, and eventually control their situation. The individual changes as they die or reach the end of the loop. the world doesn't unless it is changed by the individual. The logic of the time loop applies to the player as they are the one who retains knowledge over replays.

In a platformer, for example, Mario dies over and over so that we, the players, can gain the proficiency to clear pre-determined challenges. In shooters, the quick save and quick load button allow the player to repeat sections endlessly to try different variations in order to surpass the challenge.

In time loop media that's not a game it's the protagonist. The final cathartic scenes of Groundhog Day is basically a speed run of one day in Punxsutawney as Bill Murray does everything he could possibly do to improve the world in the time he has.

The player not the protagonist being the time looper is why I say the logic of the time loop rather than the narrative of a time loop.

We can watch a video but we don't acquire any ability to master or change the plot of Groundhog Day. We can understand it better, but not gain the same type of proficiency which is the pleasure of the time loop.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So im playing doom 2016 from the start and im trying to get all the secrets. Where the hell is secret 3? I can't find it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No! Don't give up on original Doom!!

Or do I guess, 2016 is pretty good, if extremely orange

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

So im playing doom 2016 from the start and im trying to get all the secrets. Where the hell is secret 3? I can't find it.

It's in the middle of the level, in an area past the blue door. The first Praetor Token is on a ledge high above it. Jump down to the lowest level from there and look to your right; you'll be near a big turbine that has "TRI 9 C" printed around the top. There's a little gate under that turbine that leads to a lever, which opens up the secret. It's a throwback Doom area so it'll be obvious once it's open.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 4, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

fez_machine posted:

The player not the protagonist being the time looper is why I say the logic of the time loop rather than the narrative of a time loop.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this, while I can see the mechanical similarity to the repetition of a time loop structure ultimately as I see it the act of playing a game doesn't share any of the other defining features of a time loop.

The player is not beholden to the loop, your participation in the game is entirely voluntary and you have full control over the universe of the game, I can if I so choose load a later state or cheat etc. Within the Groundhog Day comparison, you would not merely be Phil but also God, it just doesn't work for me :shrug:.

There is no Loop as I see it so therefore the player cannot be a looper.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 4, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You could turn the vast majority of video games into time loop games just by changing the dialogue and making no changes to the gameplay, is I think the point. Videogames lend themselves well to time loop narratives because they're generally already structured like one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, is there any way to stop the game from fruitlessly trying to contact the no-longer-existing Blood Dragon Servers every single loving time I open the menu? It takes a good 10-15 seconds and is really loving annoying.

Also, is there any way to tell the game to NOT loving switch from Fullscreen to Windowed mode just because I alt-tabbed?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Snake Maze posted:

You could turn the vast majority of video games into time loop games just by changing the dialogue and making no changes to the gameplay, is I think the point. Videogames lend themselves well to time loop narratives because they're generally already structured like one.

I don't disagree with that, I recognize the structural similarity. I just think calling everything a time loop is silly, it's a plot device or narrative mechanic.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, is there any way to stop the game from fruitlessly trying to contact the no-longer-existing Blood Dragon Servers every single loving time I open the menu? It takes a good 10-15 seconds and is really loving annoying.

Also, is there any way to tell the game to NOT loving switch from Fullscreen to Windowed mode just because I alt-tabbed?
Try blocking it with your firewall? Most games won't even try to phone home if they think you're offline

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 4, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

Yes, this!

It's the same reason why Visual Novels lend themselves to time travel narratives because if you're a completist you're already engaging in time travel by saving, playing to the end, and then loading and trying a different path.

In fact, it's the explicit narrative of a few more meta-textual VNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Strange Horticulture: What if Papers Please was about identifying plants with unnatural properties such as lockpicking and curing memory loss? A different take on the Deduction genre, I think Lucas Pope would be down with this game. Customers come in with a weird backstory and you are given a plant you need to find from your shelves to sell to them. Choose the correct plant and you'll get new pages to your plant manual, critical information for identifying the plants you have. Choose wrong and your Dread meter rises ever closer to a game over.

Note that unlike Papers Please, there is no time limit, you can even leave to choose a destination on the map to see if you can find a new plant (based on clues you receive through letters, notes, and tarot cards) and the customer will just patiently wait for you even when they're pissed. So you can take all the time you need to make your guess. Sometimes the manual page will outright have a sketch of the flower that lines up perfectly with what it looks like on the shelf.. other times it just shows a part of the stem, or the underside of a mushroom (which you can't see), and you have to instead deduce via context clues.

One thing I will say... this seems to be super linear. I don't think there's gonna be randomization of customers, so replayability is likely going to be pretty minimal unless they add a side mode or two to the game.

Deep Rune: In the burgeoning genre of "games only made for The 7th Guest", here is Deep Rune, a followup to Myth Bearer from JC Bailey which continues the design philosophy of the.. classic?? (not for everyone) DROD RPG and having a large game world where the gameplay loop involves deciding who to fight and in what order in order to keep yourself alive and keep leveling up. To give another example, the games like play like if Desktop Dungeon was a full world instead of single rooms. This one tries to go even more in an RPG direction than Myth Bearer by adding different classes to play as. This seems like a really tricky balance to nail, but playing as the Explorer class I had no issue getting to the end of the demo, only dying from a long fall in one room. Your weapons have durability, which you can repair with repair tools. And if you can find axes or arrows, you can attack enemies from afar without getting hurt. It's a simple setup that works really well, FOR ME. I fully admit that these games aren't for everyone. But Myth Bearer was a $2.99 gem, and this game is likely to be a similar cheap diamond in the rough when it releases on October 14th.

Crystal Project: This one's definitely interesting, despite the Minecraft look. A non-linear JRPG where you basically are dumped into the world, and after visiting the opening tavern/inn of the game, you are set free to go in whatever direction you want. The game has FFX-style combat with a turn order, and you have the ability to see what enemies plan on doing with their turn so you can plan accordingly. There is a job system, and you basically create-a-party to start the game from the basic classes, and then as you defeat bosses, you'll find crystals that give you new classes. The demo seemed quite substantial, and I felt satisfied after playing for a half hour, going into a grotto, licking a frog, and fighting a boss that gave me access to the Fencer class. Story? Well.. a character said they wanted to catch a bird, so I followed them into the cave. And then they hosed off, and I was just like.. alright I'll explore this area. That's about what you can expect. The game starts with a little poem basically saying "hey, this is not a story rpg. this is for just wandering around fighting and finding fun." a lot of chests litter the world and the Minecrafty world kind of works in one favor in that there's a lot of spots you can hop up on and climb to reach those chests. So exploratory whims are often rewarded. There are (not very deep) skill trees for the classes that you spend your job points on. The weird thing, and I dunno if this is intentional, but I couldn't access items during battles. Maybe you're not supposed to be able to? IDK. Seems like that'd punish a no-cleric party, but maybe I was just missing something.

Rise of the Third Power: This is the one I was worried about the potential minefield of "fantasy allegory for WW2"... the demo doesn't really cover that though, mostly covering a part of the game where you are trying to escape from pirates by stealing their ship. The most interesting aspect of the game is the combat, which gives the characters all a bunch of interesting and viable skills. My two main complaints are that the attacks seem like they don't do enough damage for how they seem to expect it to be balanced... and the visual presentation is a bit over-produced (as seen in the screenshot above). Almost as if they are desperate to show that they aren't using RPG Maker anymore (this is the developer of Ara Fell, once made in RPG Maker and then converted to a new engine in a remaster later on), they've swung a bit in the opposite direction by cramming in as many effects as they can, which results in a slower combat loop because characters have lengthy animations for their attacks and everything has to have a little visual effect or flair to it. Maybe something they can dial back on or have a setting to dial it down.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 4, 2021