Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Koskun posted:

While in Windows, holding down Shift while clicking Reset will get you to a menu where you can tell the computer to restart in BIOS.

Cycling the Power Supply probably cleared some setting/update it was holding on to.

I actually tried doing this but it still took me to a black screen. Good thing power-cycling wiped whatever setting was causing the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Unplug from power.

There definitely isn't something built-in that will do it for you, without some fiddling. It would probably be possible to set up something with scheduled tasks that run when the power state of the machine changes, and then run a program that checks whether to mute/unmute.
Regardless, you'd also need to decide what would happen e.g. if you plugged in, muted manually, unplugged, plugged back it, should it then stay muted, or unmute? What if you manually unmuted, and maybe re-muted, while it was running on battery, should it then stay muted? And what happens when you have multiple audio devices, say some wireless headphones.
It's definitely doable, but there are a lot of edge cases to consider.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nielsm posted:

There definitely isn't something built-in that will do it for you, without some fiddling.

I don’t know if this is exactly something you can use, but I have a small, free program for my desktop and laptop called SoundSwitch. You can choose all the audio options via your own hotkeys, but on both systems I use it to cycle between (wired) headset and speakers by pressing CTRL + NUMPAD 0. Press one time for headset, press again for speakers. Same function on both PCs. It has a lot of options, but I only use it for, well, the sound switch 🤩.

Hope that helps; I’ve never dug deeper into it myself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Koskun posted:

More and more, laptops are becoming at least partially user upgradable.

I am shocked to hear that, but am extremely happy to hear that. I figured it was the complete opposite and that laptops were getting worse and worse with being upgradable!

I guess there was a window of like the last 5 years where everything was soldered to the motherboard, but laptop companies are backtracking on that? Is there a reason they are doing that? I thought it was only nerds like me that cared so I would be surprised if it was because of consumer demand.

Koskun posted:

As to memory, so many laptops let you put your own memory in. It's mostly (in my experience), the budget lines, or stuff with an Atom/all-in-one processor where the memory is part of the motherboard.

Really? Again I figured it was the opposite. The HP pro line, the Dell XPS line, and all MacBooks were so thin and lightweight that they would all have everything soldered to the motherboard. I actually would have guessed the cheaper laptops were the ones that would be more likely to have upgradable RAM.

Koskun posted:

Edit - One other thing you may want to look into is getting a small UPS just for your laptop. Maybe it's a power spike, maybe not, but it would be a good investment never the less. They can be had for 50-100 US.

So this is going to be a slightly long post, but it might be very beneficial to some posters here who might ever experience a dead hard drive.

Back about a year or two ago, the PSU in my desktop was failing. I had a bunch of 8TB Western Digital drives in it; 11 to be exact (it's a huge Fractal Design case). One day I woke up and 5 of the 11 drives were dead. They wouldn't even spin, even if I placed them in another computer. Of course I was freaking out because that's a ton of data to lose, but the one glimmer of hope I had was the fact that the hard drives didn't even make a sound like they were receiving power. This means it was most likely not platter issues, which is expensive as poo poo and a fortune to fix.

So I got a torx screwdriver and looked at the underside of the PCB that's on all 5 of the drives. This is what it looks like:

See the arrows I drew? Those are pointing to fuses; fuses that are very close to where the SATA power cable goes.

I checked continuity on both with my multimeter, and on all 5 of the dead hard drives, the right fuse was showing no continuity.

Out of desperation I soldered a small wire across the fuse to bypass it, and on all 5 drives they came back to life again!

This ONLY happened with my 8TB Western Digital drives. Not with the 4TB ones, not with the 2TB ones, not with the 8TB Seagate ones; only the 8TB Western Digital drives.

Then just two days ago, I took an 8TB drive that never gave me any problems and plugged it into one of those SATA docks just so I could get some data off of it. The drive refused to turn on (yet was working just fine in my server 5 minutes earlier). I took out the PCB again and tested those fuses. This time, the right one seemed fine (showed a value of .003 with the 20ohm checker on my Multiman meter) but the one on the left had some insane value like 453. Anyway, I took a wire and bridged the left fuse in the picture and the drive is working again!

That's SIX 8tb Western Digital drives that completely stopped working; one of which was just because I simply placed it into a dock.

I hope this post is useful to someone some day who has a dead hard drive but not thousands of dollars for data recovery.

Anyway the point of this post is my theory is some fuses on some electronics can be really wimpy. All it took was me plugging this drive into a dock for a fuse to blow.

With my ThinkPad T25, I feel like it must be the same issue. The first one died when I simply plopped it onto a docking station. It was an official docking station and it was using an official Lenovo PSU. I threw both in the garbage fearing that's what caused it, but obviously not.

It would be a bit extreme to have to plug my laptop into a UPS because I have the power cords all over (and having a UPS in every one of those spots would be such a pain in the rear end), since my work computer is also a ThinkPad that uses the same rectangle connector. And basically that work ThinkPad is plugged in 24/7 as well, and I never had a power issue with it ever. So if it was some sort of weird surge or something related to dirty power in my home, I would assume it would have already taken out my work laptop as well.

I could live with this if I knew what to do with the bad fuse on this T25 but as I mentioned, bridging the one fuse that I found "dead" did absolutely nothing. Yet it resurrected 6 different Western Digital drives for me!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

drat that's quite a storage capacity, can I ask what you do mostly with your desktop machine?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Doesn't a laptop already come with a UPS in the form of the internal battery? A surge protector would be the other half of the equation, but they're cheap and readily available.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I am shocked to hear that, but am extremely happy to hear that. I figured it was the complete opposite and that laptops were getting worse and worse with being upgradable!

I guess there was a window of like the last 5 years where everything was soldered to the motherboard, but laptop companies are backtracking on that? Is there a reason they are doing that? I thought it was only nerds like me that cared so I would be surprised if it was because of consumer demand.

Really? Again I figured it was the opposite. The HP pro line, the Dell XPS line, and all MacBooks were so thin and lightweight that they would all have everything soldered to the motherboard. I actually would have guessed the cheaper laptops were the ones that would be more likely to have upgradable RAM.

So this is going to be a slightly long post, but it might be very beneficial to some posters here who might ever experience a dead hard drive.

Back about a year or two ago, the PSU in my desktop was failing. I had a bunch of 8TB Western Digital drives in it; 11 to be exact (it's a huge Fractal Design case). One day I woke up and 5 of the 11 drives were dead. They wouldn't even spin, even if I placed them in another computer. Of course I was freaking out because that's a ton of data to lose, but the one glimmer of hope I had was the fact that the hard drives didn't even make a sound like they were receiving power. This means it was most likely not platter issues, which is expensive as poo poo and a fortune to fix.

So I got a torx screwdriver and looked at the underside of the PCB that's on all 5 of the drives. This is what it looks like:

See the arrows I drew? Those are pointing to fuses; fuses that are very close to where the SATA power cable goes.

I checked continuity on both with my multimeter, and on all 5 of the dead hard drives, the right fuse was showing no continuity.

Out of desperation I soldered a small wire across the fuse to bypass it, and on all 5 drives they came back to life again!

This ONLY happened with my 8TB Western Digital drives. Not with the 4TB ones, not with the 2TB ones, not with the 8TB Seagate ones; only the 8TB Western Digital drives.

Then just two days ago, I took an 8TB drive that never gave me any problems and plugged it into one of those SATA docks just so I could get some data off of it. The drive refused to turn on (yet was working just fine in my server 5 minutes earlier). I took out the PCB again and tested those fuses. This time, the right one seemed fine (showed a value of .003 with the 20ohm checker on my Multiman meter) but the one on the left had some insane value like 453. Anyway, I took a wire and bridged the left fuse in the picture and the drive is working again!

That's SIX 8tb Western Digital drives that completely stopped working; one of which was just because I simply placed it into a dock.

I hope this post is useful to someone some day who has a dead hard drive but not thousands of dollars for data recovery.

Anyway the point of this post is my theory is some fuses on some electronics can be really wimpy. All it took was me plugging this drive into a dock for a fuse to blow.

With my ThinkPad T25, I feel like it must be the same issue. The first one died when I simply plopped it onto a docking station. It was an official docking station and it was using an official Lenovo PSU. I threw both in the garbage fearing that's what caused it, but obviously not.

It would be a bit extreme to have to plug my laptop into a UPS because I have the power cords all over (and having a UPS in every one of those spots would be such a pain in the rear end), since my work computer is also a ThinkPad that uses the same rectangle connector. And basically that work ThinkPad is plugged in 24/7 as well, and I never had a power issue with it ever. So if it was some sort of weird surge or something related to dirty power in my home, I would assume it would have already taken out my work laptop as well.

I could live with this if I knew what to do with the bad fuse on this T25 but as I mentioned, bridging the one fuse that I found "dead" did absolutely nothing. Yet it resurrected 6 different Western Digital drives for me!

I had a similar issue. A client of mine had an external seagate HD (4TB) and lost the power brick for it (a 12V one), so in my recreation of the events based on what I saw on their desk, they grabbed anything that fit the barrel connector and tried it (they tried an 18V transformer). This cooked the power protection diode on the PCB of the disk which is used like a fuse (similar to the examples you posted). I was able to just remove it and the disk is now useable. I don't trust it long term but I'll just be tossing it into a server that doesn't need reliability. They purchased a new huge external for a couple of hundred bucks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

drat that's quite a storage capacity, can I ask what you do mostly with your desktop machine?

Plex server. One season of Friends is 600gb. It adds up.

I'm also a hoarder of console game roms and isos.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rexxed posted:

so in my recreation of the events based on what I saw on their desk, they grabbed anything that fit the barrel connector and tried it (they tried an 18V transformer).

This made my eye twitch. I worked at an electronics recycler/refurbisher and got very used to checking power adapters for volts, amps, and polarity due to poo poo like that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Plex server. One season of Friends is 600gb. It adds up.

I'm also a hoarder of console game roms and isos.

I assume that's a typo and you meant 6gb, because it would take some serious effort to make a standard definition series fill 600gb.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think it was shot on film and netflix did a HD remaster and there was a blu ray release maybe? so long as there is no effects to redo it's a relatively cheap thing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CoolCab posted:

I think it was shot on film and netflix did a HD remaster and there was a blu ray release maybe? so long as there is no effects to redo it's a relatively cheap thing.

All 10 seasons remuxed from blurays is 600gb

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alarbus posted:

Microcenter has been running sales, I got an 11700k for $300. I think the 11900k is down to $500? It is, however, a furnace. Idles at 35°c, hits 60-65°c while gaming.

This is completely normal isn't it? My desktop does that all day, but my laptop hits the 90s when I emulate PS3 stuff lol

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

This is completely normal isn't it? My desktop does that all day, but my laptop hits the 90s when I emulate PS3 stuff lol

For 11 series apparently, I was comparing it to the 8700

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alarbus posted:

For 11 series apparently, I was comparing it to the 8700

Oh I didn't mean to give you a hard time! That honestly seemed normal to me, I have a 1700x, a couple 3770s and some 3550s and they all seem to run around that temp haha

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikusR posted:

All 10 seasons remuxed from blurays is 600gb

Ah, that makes more sense, 600gb for one season would be madness.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo yeah, my fault. I meant the entire series. They are raw blu ray rips. I hoard both physically and digitally! The worst of both worlds!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been meaning to make time to do the same thing; I'd much rather have the convenience of digital and streaming from a server, but since buying digital actually just means renting until your library vanishes some day in the future, I've been buying on Blu-ray then ripping to my harddrive instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A recent update seems to have finally broken Classic Shell -- anyone know of an alternative? :negative:

I cannot overstate how much I hate the 'new' Start Menu design. It's extremely hostile towards keyboard based navigation, and I like to use my mouse as little as possible. I used to be able to just hit like Windows Key, Up, Right Right Enter and that'd sleep my computer. Now it's like, Windows Key, Tab, Down x5, Enter, Enter.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sab669 posted:

I cannot overstate how much I hate the 'new' Start Menu design. It's extremely hostile towards keyboard based navigation, and I like to use my mouse as little as possible. I used to be able to just hit like Windows Key, Up, Right Right Enter and that'd sleep my computer. Now it's like, Windows Key, Tab, Down x5, Enter, Enter.

If you use keyboard navigation primarily or exclusively, my suggestion would be to get nircmd and make some shortcuts in your start menu for functions you want to get to quickly. So a shortcut called 'sleep' pointing to "nircmd.exe standby", and then you can get it easily with winkey + typing.

Alternately, for things you do so often that typing 'sleep' is too much work, autohotkey plus nircmd. I use sleep all the time and have ctrl+shift+win+end bound to do that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sab669 posted:

A recent update seems to have finally broken Classic Shell -- anyone know of an alternative? :negative:

You can hit the start button on your keyboard, type the first few letters of the app and hit enter.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

StartIsBack or Start10
http://startisback.com/
https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Personally, I prefer StartIsBack

For Windows 11, there are StartAllBack and Start11 (the latter one is currently unfinished, a more complete version should release soon)
https://www.startallback.com/
https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 7, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

alt+f4

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sab669 posted:

winkey, up, right, enter, enter works for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alt+F4 is clunky :saddowns: But I guess I can get into that habbit. I might just pony up the $5 for startisback

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

winkey, up, right, enter, enter works for me.

Up "selects" the Recently Added header for me :shrug: and then the arrow keys don't do anything from there.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 7, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sorry, I thought I was in the windows 11 thread. That's an odd thing to change in an update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sab669 posted:

Haven't followed up on it personally, but classic shell got picked up by someone who turned it into the open source open-shell.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Would anyone care to recommend a file synchronization program? My use case is simple - I want to take a tree of files on my hard drive and echo it exactly to a removable drive. I want every file on the internal tree copied to the removable drive, I want every file that isn't in the internal tree deleted from the removable drive, and I want it to be quick enough thatit doesn't spend all day on it. I used to use SyncToy for this, but keeps losing state information, and then it fails to echo deletions properly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use FreeFileSync, old as hell but works just fine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Freefilesync is good, I prefer SyncBackFree, it's more application-y to me and is regularly updated. Both great options.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Would anyone care to recommend a file synchronization program? My use case is simple - I want to take a tree of files on my hard drive and echo it exactly to a removable drive. I want every file on the internal tree copied to the removable drive, I want every file that isn't in the internal tree deleted from the removable drive, and I want it to be quick enough thatit doesn't spend all day on it. I used to use SyncToy for this, but keeps losing state information, and then it fails to echo deletions properly.

robocopy source destination /MIR /E /XO /DCOPY:T /NP /LOG:copylog.txt

If the destination is a fast drive or SSD, add /MT:32 to use more copy threads for increased speed. And if you're copying from folders with protected read access add /B to use a backup mode that ignores permissions, but that requires running as admin.

save the command as a .bat file on your external drive and you can plug & click to run. If you're doing the same thing every time, robocopy is both very fast and right there in windows already, no need to install anything else.

more robocopy documentation

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've used robocopy for years, but I didn't know it could be intelligent about what it copied. Thanks, I'll try that first.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

For specifically logout/sleep/hibernate/restart, Win+X is better.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This is a very minor annoyance, and one that I don't think is reoccurring, but I went to shut off my computer this morning, and when shutting down it played the Windows Startup Noise. Is this symptomatic of any major issue?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Willo567 posted:

This is a very minor annoyance, and one that I don't think is reoccurring, but I went to shut off my computer this morning, and when shutting down it played the Windows Startup Noise. Is this symptomatic of any major issue?

Probably not? Like, the first question would be if it normally plays the startup sound when you boot up? W10 defaults to no sound for that, unless you turned it back on. If so it was probably just a weird one-off, like preparing to install updates or something.

But if your PC doesn't play startup, logon, or shutdown sounds it would be much more mysterious. Still not a major concern, but very odd.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Sab669 posted:

Windows key + X is the same as right-clicking the start button and might get you there quicker?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Sab669 posted:

Openshell is the updated classic shell, so try that, works for me!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Klyith posted:

Probably not? Like, the first question would be if it normally plays the startup sound when you boot up? W10 defaults to no sound for that, unless you turned it back on. If so it was probably just a weird one-off, like preparing to install updates or something.

But if your PC doesn't play startup, logon, or shutdown sounds it would be much more mysterious. Still not a major concern, but very odd.

It plays the start up noise, but for some reason it stutters and I have no idea why - my OS is on an SSD so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to load from it, and when that happens the noise plays fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Willo567 posted:

It plays the start up noise, but for some reason it stutters and I have no idea why - my OS is on an SSD so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to load from it, and when that happens the noise plays fine.

In that case I'd say it was just a weird one-off, probably windows did some type of quick restart for updates or whatever.

Stuttering audio is almost certainly about the audio hardware, not your OS being on a SSD. If your audio is just the jack on the back or the PC or laptop it's probably realtek, and it stutters during startup because realtek is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

In that case I'd say it was just a weird one-off, probably windows did some type of quick restart for updates or whatever.

Stuttering audio is almost certainly about the audio hardware, not your OS being on a SSD. If your audio is just the jack on the back or the PC or laptop it's probably realtek, and it stutters during startup because realtek is garbage.

Yeah, Realtek gonna Realtek.