Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really, really do not think that there is anybody out there who thinks that blair is an innocent little angel who would never abuse his position, the only dispute would be on whether getting filthy rich constitutes an abuse of position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They'll just blame it on Cherie again like always.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Lady Demelza posted:

Does the age of the animal matter? I'm veggie and not really up on different cuts of meat, but if sheep need to be killed at certain age to qualify as lamb, then does pork change textue or flavour if it's older?

'The local farmer down the street' is not a thing in many places and even if it was, your small farm shop won't be able to stock enough to supply everyone. Most of the local butchers, greengrocers, pharmacists and bakers near me open 9-5 six days a week and don't offer delivery. Best of luck to anyone working full time who has to fight over the last carrot or pint of milk on a Satuday afternoon.

That and UK agriculture has changed massively since the halcyon days. Alongside crop development and climate change, lots of dairy farmers were collateral damage in the supermarket price wars. So now, instead of a daily pint of milk you can expect an annual bushel of oilseed. Delicious!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I'm playing five a side snooker, just for the space reasons.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lady Demelza posted:

Does the age of the animal matter? I'm veggie and not really up on different cuts of meat, but if sheep need to be killed at certain age to qualify as lamb, then does pork change textue or flavour if it's older?

Depends on the animal.

Lamb and sheep this won’t effect as they are farmed the old fashioned way in this country.

I don’t want to go into detail but this is to do with the way conveyer belt slaughterhouse’s work. They figured out the min max on the age and size with pigs years ago and all the machines are set to that exact size with very little leeway, so if your pigs are sat around in the supply chain getting larger for even two weeks longer everything breaks down, especially all the paperwork.

Beef cattle it’s more of a problem in America where they get pumped full of hormones. .

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A vegan friend is convinced that the dairy industry will collapse before the meat industry does. He meant for ethical consumer choice reasons rather than wholesale economic collapse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Milk and butter are solved problems, they just need to make a cheese that isn't garbage.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lady Demelza posted:

A vegan friend is convinced that the dairy industry will collapse before the meat industry does. He meant for ethical consumer choice reasons rather than wholesale economic collapse.

This is ironic because the dairy industry very nearly collapsed during coronavirus, because it’s now mostly huge dairy conglomerates in this country and a huge amount of the profits hinge on the sales to major high street cafes such as Starbucks and Cafe Nero.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Milk and butter are solved problems, they just need to make a cheese that isn't garbage.

How is milk solved? I've never found a substitute that tastes the same.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Oh dear me posted:

Yeah I find milk substitutes tend be watery or too sweet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The same? Probably not, but there's so many different types of non-dairy milk now that many people can find one that they like better than dairy. Same with non-sugar sweeteners.

Definitely not the same with cheese.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The dairy industry is unethical because of the industry part, the cows themselves don't mind on principle.

My ancestors went to the effort of developing a tolerance for lactose and I'm not going to waste that by putting mushed up almonds in my tea.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Can someone post a link to the forum drama pls I completely missed it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What's a bit of tax dodging from a war criminal?

I can juuuust about see how he might have thought that going to war was the right thing to do, and compatible with his moral framework. One can’t do that with tax avoidance. There’s no way one can say “well, he thought he was doing the right thing”. (Note: I don’t want to but it could be argued). It’s just naked greed. What fucks me off so much is that the people who engage in this poo poo don’t need to. They’ve already got too much money.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

I can juuuust about see how he might have thought that going to war was the right thing to do, and compatible with his moral framework. One can’t do that with tax avoidance. There’s no way one can say “well, he thought he was doing the right thing”. (Note: I don’t want to but it could be argued). It’s just naked greed. What fucks me off so much is that the people who engage in this poo poo don’t need to. They’ve already got too much money.

By the time they've made all that money, they've probably already made a thousand choices more unethical than mere tax avoision.

Big Tone says: "I am in blood Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Alctel posted:

Can someone post a link to the forum drama pls I completely missed it

There is a thread in QCS that covers most of it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980531

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I find milk substitutes tend be watery or too sweet.

The ones I've tried all seem to be full of oil.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it wasn't right for him to have all the money, then he wouldn't be able to have all the money, therefore he should pursue as much money as possible so that it is in the right hands.

There is an entire branch of christianity centered around that idea.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oh dear me posted:

I just consider milk as coffee cooler, and have found the cheapest supermarket own-brand "soya drinks" (because they can't use the word 'milk' in their names) do a perfectly fine job, as they taste of nothing. The more expensive fake-milks like oat, cashew or whatever taste entirely too much like what they are and I don't want that in my coffee, thanks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

By the time they've made all that money, they've probably already made a thousand choices more unethical than mere tax avoision.

Big Tone says: "I am in blood Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er"

I know. And it’s not surprising. It’s just depressing.

There is something in milk that interacts in a certain way with tea that substitutes can’t match. However, oat milk in coffee is delicious. Better than milk, I think.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The ones I've tried all seem to be full of oil.

Maybe slightly more (%v/v) than there is fat in dairy milk - it's hard to get precise numbers for most of them. I'm not necessarily convinced prima facie that canola or rapeseed is much worse for you than the fats in dairy milk, though tbf there are also a bunch of bioactive peptides in milk which do good things for GI health.

There are also oat milks with no oil, although I imagine they taste gash. Fun fact, James Joyce wrote about people having "oatmealwater" in their porridge in Ulysses - the original hipster

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hi just checking my BVI bank account which I have in no way acquired to proactively avoid property taxes. It just felt handier than like a NatWest account or whatever
He's often headed past it on his way to certain uncharted islands, it's really quite convenient!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I personally love oat milk and have it on my cereal, but we still keep a tiny milk in the fridge for tea, because as stated, none of them quite get it right for that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe slightly more (%v/v) than there is fat in dairy milk - it's hard to get precise numbers for most of them. I'm not necessarily convinced prima facie that canola or rapeseed is much worse for you than the fats in dairy milk, though tbf there are also a bunch of bioactive peptides in milk which do good things for GI health.

There are also oat milks with no oil, although I imagine they taste gash. Fun fact, James Joyce wrote about people having "oatmealwater" in their porridge in Ulysses - the original hipster

I use mostly skimmed milk though. Full milk has all those grease blobs floating on top. I haven't seen a no oil oat milk.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/SkyAndyHughes/status/1444761906783342601

Just burn the lot down.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1444692246952042497
I;m thinking about thos beans

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Imagine being so poor you have to eat mixed beans from a tin but still wanting to go and bootlick Old Etonians

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are we sure that is poverty and not just some sort of perversion?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The only correct alternative answer to milk is Baileys.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Are we sure that is poverty and not just some sort of perversion?

Yeah my assumption would be that he was made to eat cold tinned beans in boarding school and it is now a sexual fetish

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm sure I read it's something like £500 to attend the tory party conference.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah my assumption would be that he was made to eat cold tinned beans in boarding school and it is now a sexual fetish

Meh, hes doing keto and its the only protein that isn't £5 protein bars that are mostly sugar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Meh, hes doing keto and its the only protein that isn't £5 protein bars that are mostly sugar.

This also sounds like some sort of sex thing tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

The only correct alternative answer to milk is Baileys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7yoLarLDMk

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

you can see his eyes glazing over as he thinks 'oh this is some vegetarian shite he's talking about'

he doesn't seem to get the point and then moves on to well let's wait until the bad thing happens, whatever it is

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Some interesting thinking coming out of the Conservative conference.

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1444691681207586830

It really is Pol Pot stuff, and would be rightly decried as such if a) it came from a red-coloured party and b) our press and media weren't so spectacularly servile and useless.

Exactly how far back into the 'good old days' does this guy want to take us? At the ripe age of 35 I can remember when you very rarely - if ever - bought milk from the shop but instead had it delivered in reusable glass bottles to your doorstep by an electric vehicle (which now sounds like some sort of Star Trek utopia). I'm pretty sure that deliveries of milk bottles was the norm for most people in the country from the 1870s when milk began moving from country to city by train. Pre-industrial milkmaids carrying pails on shoulder yolks? We're getting back into Pol Pot territory.

The mind of your average Tory voter these days is like those cheap kitsch jigsaw puzzles you can buy in minor National Trust properties - the ones where it's a painting of a 'Golden Age High Street Scene of Yesteryear' and every feature is from mutually incompatible dates (and the sun is shining and everyone is white...) but they all get lumped in as '1930-1965 So It Was Good' by the target audience.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The worst thing about the bean pic above is that you don't see the liquid level left post beans.
Meaning he was slurping it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I have found a good way to not care so much about all these new types of milk you can get is to have your material conditions deteriorate to the point where just surviving is the new goal

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

The worst thing about the bean pic above is that you don't see the liquid level left post beans.
Meaning he was slurping it.

Maybe he drank the sauce straight from the can. He was eating the beans with a fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

therattle posted:

Maybe he drank the sauce straight from the can. He was eating the beans with a fork.

Maybe. I get those exact tins, and its not exactly watery that gloop.