Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crazy to me that a 2017 Tiguan is even possible to steal without the actual key. I would have thought it's fully immobilized etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

VelociBacon posted:

Crazy to me that a 2017 Tiguan is even possible to steal without the actual key. I would have thought it's fully immobilized etc.

Yeast posted:

Hi thread, my 2017 Tiguan was stolen last week, and in the event it isn’t recovered I’m doing some planning.

His first mistake was leaving the trunk open

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

VelociBacon posted:

Decrypting keys is not hard. Directional antenna, a raspberry pi, you can steal the most expensive cars on earth.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I loved my 1990 coupe quattro. It's still one of my favorites. The only thing it was missing was power.

I would have given my left nut to be able to buy one of these back in the day:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-audi-rs2-avant-9/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I imagine left nut is what it’s going to take to buy that one!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TheBacon posted:

I imagine left nut is what it’s going to take to buy that one!

It's really nice, but man, the suspension rust is next-level. Plus, it's all Porsche-spec uber$$$ parts.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Rosoboronexport posted:

So now the shop has to look for electrical gremlins and check wiring for the rear left speaker as the new new speaker (installed a week ago) has the same audible rattle after last weekend. And apparently the previous two speakers installed there were broken :shrug: but I don't believe that just streaming bluetooth should kill the speakers as the volume is under half of the max and BT input is set at low level.

So I'm crossing my fingers but it would appear that I found the fix without having to change any more speakers or taking it back in -- the culprit might have been my phone and/or Android 10. The phone I had when I noticed the problem was Nokia 7.1 and it stopped working a month ago so I got a Pixel 4a as replacement. The new phone at first did not give the same problem but I noticed a pattern -- randomly the sound balance thing would forget that you have speakers in the back so the sound balance could only be tuned left and right and not front to back. After that the left rear speaker would rattle. After powering down the car for the night it would reset and sound would work normally for some time. The pixel got some software update a few weeks ago and after that I've had no issues with sound playback over the phone.

However as now everything works I'm afraid to adjust anything regarding the sound and volume settings of the car so I don't break whatever fixed it.

Also I'm taking the car for oil change service soon, ~18000 kms and 500 hours seems like a good time for the oil change before the cold season starts. I'll also change the gearbox oil, even though according to the manufacturer it does not need to be changed at all. Gearbox takes 2,1 L of oil and the cheapest place for OEM oil charges 44 eur per liter so I would need three bottles. Most likely I will cheap out and order just 2 L of the OEM stuff and then 1 L something "compatible" that they can top up the gearbox with.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

S8 2001's yearly service wasn't too bad. Around 300€ with parts and labor. New belt of different brand (Continental), old one made noises sometimes when cold starting and idling. Engine oil & oil filter, air filter, coolant flush, oil pan nut... New bowden cable for one door, the interior door handle was sticky.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DekeThornton posted:

I recently got a new Alltrack and I'm pretty happy with it. It drives nicely, a bit quicker than my previous Skoda Octavia, which had the same engine as your Tiguan, and nice and calm on the highway. I mainly got a car when I started hunbting, so the slightly higher ground clearance is nice when going on backroads in Swedish autumn/winter, which is all off road capability I need, and the trunk capacity is massive

Thank you!

That's great to hear. I briefly looked at other wagons, but nothing really touches the Passat / Superb in terms of luggage space, especially with the seats down.

And yes, the car would be on tarmac 99% of its life, but occasionally it'd be nice to take it to the snow and not have to worry as much about digging myself out as I would in a 2wd.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VelociBacon posted:

flatbed and strip for parts baby

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I recently noticed that after driving (mk6 GTI) for a couple minutes and the thermostat gets up to temp (190), I’ll suddenly see it drop back down 2-3 hash marks and sit there for 15-20 seconds (while driving) before finally coming back to 190 and holding steady.

Am I looking at a soon to be thermostat failure or is a temp sensor acting funny?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

latinotwink1997 posted:

I recently noticed that after driving (mk6 GTI) for a couple minutes and the thermostat gets up to temp (190), I’ll suddenly see it drop back down 2-3 hash marks and sit there for 15-20 seconds (while driving) before finally coming back to 190 and holding steady.

Am I looking at a soon to be thermostat failure or is a temp sensor acting funny?

Sounds kinda like there's just an influx when the thermostat opens before the entire system comes up to operating temperature. Not a huge deal I suspect.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well the temp gauge in vag cars is extremely insensitive. It should only move if something is really broken.

So if it doesn't sit tight I'd say something is wrong. Maybe the sensor which measures the coolant temp. At least I have to change them "all the time", probaly once in 10 years. My C5 A6 was on its third or fourth sensor when I sold it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“yes it’s normal that your VAG is so insensitive”

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

It's apparently designed that way on purpose since the temps vary a bunch and old TDIs tended to keep the coolant at a way higher temp than the 90 degrees centigrade the gauge claims. Not that this is unique to VAGs but I'm under the impression they're extra useless as gauges compared to even other makes, unless something's actually awry.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Ihmemies posted:

Well the temp gauge in vag cars is extremely insensitive. It should only move if something is really broken.

The one in the Seat is sensitive -- at least when the car has not properly heated up. In winter city driving even if the temp has reached 90 C and I start to coast and heat is on full blast it will drop 5-6 degrees in short time. When the car is hot enough, then the temperature will not change at all. Most likely so that the driver does not get scared of the constant fluctuations. In my case I have not seen the temperature go above 90.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ruflux posted:

It's apparently designed that way on purpose since the temps vary a bunch and old TDIs tended to keep the coolant at a way higher temp than the 90 degrees centigrade the gauge claims. Not that this is unique to VAGs but I'm under the impression they're extra useless as gauges compared to even other makes, unless something's actually awry.

Seems like most of the VAG gauges are nothing more than dummy gauges, even though Audi apparently went the extra mile in some cases:

Arrows are normal operating range, the two dots around the 3/4 mark are "Uh oh" areas

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

this drove me nuts when i got my mk7 R, apparently yeah, they just sit in the middle temp gauge wise unless there's an actual overheating issue.

it might as well just say "OKAY" and "NOT OKAY"

it's stupid but now i know

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I kinda love that. It has very “—and the Russians just used a pencil” vibes.*

Like, why bother sourcing/making better performing gauges? Just slap some +/- margin-of-error lines on that sucker

*(yes I know it’s apocryphal and also Fisher developed the space pen independently and then sold a bunch to NASA)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I do recall from over 10 years ago that my parents' Passat had approximately three positions on the gauge which actually became relevant in the winter - dead cold, not warm enough and normal, which is the top position. This was relevant because the good old 1.9 TDI apparently didn't produce enough heat to keep itself warm in the cold winter weather in highway driving, so the needle would typically drop down to not warm enough, and then the on-demand Webasto heater would start and warm the coolant back to operating temp.

This would literally just keep repeating over and over unless you were deliberately driving over the wintertime speed limit to make the engine produce more heat from higher revs. Then it would stay warm. Eventually my dad got a grille cover for the winter which fixed the issue.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My '94 VR6 Passat had a legit temp gauge in the gauge cluster, was always interesting to see it bounce from 160F to 210F depending on whether you were stopped, idling or cruising. On the hottest summer days, the idle temp would bounce between 210F to 230F with the cycling of the rad fans. Oil temp was found in the MFA screen in the cluster.

Every subsequent car ditching accurate sensors bums me out. I know I can grab all the data I'd ever need from the OBD-II port, but that takes time and effort and a new screen to fiddle with and I don't wanna do that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ruflux posted:

I do recall from over 10 years ago that my parents' Passat had approximately three positions on the gauge which actually became relevant in the winter - dead cold, not warm enough and normal, which is the top position. This was relevant because the good old 1.9 TDI apparently didn't produce enough heat to keep itself warm in the cold winter weather in highway driving, so the needle would typically drop down to not warm enough, and then the on-demand Webasto heater would start and warm the coolant back to operating temp.

This would literally just keep repeating over and over unless you were deliberately driving over the wintertime speed limit to make the engine produce more heat from higher revs. Then it would stay warm. Eventually my dad got a grille cover for the winter which fixed the issue.

The funny part is if you actually plug in a OBD device, even on the older cars, and you can get very accurate temperature readings, its just largely never gets to the gauge or the gauge isn't that defined.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My S8 has normally 100C coolant temp but the gauge shows 90. Always 90. My A6 went over 90 in extremely hot days on traffic lights. S8 doesn't even do that although the V8 puts out more heat than A6's V6.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The funny part is if you actually plug in a OBD device, even on the older cars, and you can get very accurate temperature readings, its just largely never gets to the gauge or the gauge isn't that defined.

I used this to check my 07 GTI to see if the thermostat gauge was reporting accurately and honestly it was 1:1 with what I was seeing on the ODB2.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
at least your cars don’t run Windows like mine

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

I used this to check my 07 GTI to see if the thermostat gauge was reporting accurately and honestly it was 1:1 with what I was seeing on the ODB2.

I never checked mine, but when my thermostat started failing open, the gauge would sit just a tad below dead center. I actually noticed the issue months before it started throwing errors (and years before I fixed it).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

I never checked mine, but when my thermostat started failing open, the gauge would sit just a tad below dead center. I actually noticed the issue months before it started throwing errors (and years before I fixed it).

When my thermostat was failing it was just failing open (I guess they mostly all do) and if I came off throttle for a few seconds on the highway the temps would plummet about 15%.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

at least your cars don’t run Windows like mine

The Q7 entertainment system is some flavor of Unix

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I had always hoped there was some flag in the programming that would turn the gauge from "cold/okay/dead" to one that responded to the data, a bit like some cars need the box checked to give the ability to open/close the car windows with the keyfob but it doesn't look that way

My a4 B6 goes for the MOT tomorrow and I'm really hoping there's nothing expensive lurking other than the poo poo I know about (suspension bushings/cv joints/exhaust leak) otherwise it might be time to say goodbye and it would make me really sad, especially as it still has over half a tank of precious high octane in it

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I took my 2018 GTI which would still be under warranty to the dealer because I'm getting a P00AF00 code for wastegate actuator seizure. I've got a stage 2 tune, so I kind of expected them to give me guff about it, but I couldn't really get a straight answer from them if whether or not they got a no from VW or if they just saw it was modified and didn't want to bother with it. I'll have to call them about it tomorrow. Anyway since VW doesn't sell wastegate actuators on their own, the dealer would have to replace the whole turbo assembly which is like $3000 parts and labor.

But as it is, I'll either need to find a dealer more willing to work with me or I need to contact VW about whether or not this would be covered. I get they can say no for pretty much whatever reason, but as I understand generally for a warranty claim to be denied it has to be a problem caused by a tune, and I just don't really see that a tune would cause a wastegate actuator to seize or anything. I could see it being denied if the turbo itself blew up, but the turbo is fine.

I don't know if I have a leg to stand on with VW, has anybody had any success in appealing warranty claims like this? Kind of sucks the all the next closest VW dealers are an hour way in all directions.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 14, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the service manager at my local vw dealer becomes a lot more willing to deal when i have VWAG customer care on the line in the waiting room, fwiw. but i'm kind of an rear end in a top hat and they pissed me off day two of ownership so idgaf.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Yeah I talked to the service manager when I picked the car up because he just happened to be the only one there, and when I asked if they contacted VW he was saying he didn't know because he wasn't directly involved in my case but said essential when they see tuned car needs new turbo they generally stop right there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It sucks but I don't think you really have a leg to stand on, personally.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think once they see your software is modified, they will flag it as tuned in the system and deny the claim. Won't really matter if you take it to another dealer at that point as it will be flagged in their system and VW makes the calls on these claims, not dealers, since they have to be reimbursed. I hope they cover it for you though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would call around to your local tuning shops and ask if they've seen this before, do they work on it, do they have any extra stock turbos (from swaps) to sell, and when they say no ask them who your local turbo rebuilders are.

If you feel like calling long distance to here in Vancouver, I would contact these two:

https://www.hpamotorsports.com/

https://rpiequipped.com/

I've used RPI before when I need something done very well.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah, unfortunately tunes are one of those things that make it very easy to deny warranty claims on a whole host of different parts, since it impacts the entire drive train. It sucks that it's being used to deny work on a seized wastegate, but that wastegate is now holding or releasing exhaust pressures in excess of the manufacturer's specifications, which means that the actuator is as well.

As far as fixing the issue, there are possibly a few different routes that can be taken:

1. Put the stock tune back on and see if this remedies it. The additional stress or poor source tuning could be leading to this situation. I've had to adjust tuning parameters for wastegate actuators in the past due to manufacturing differences of that part car to car. In my case my actuator was actually far out performing the typical cars. Most of them needed a lot of force to keep them closed at higher pressures but for mine it was way overkill and leading to overboost.

2. As VelociBacon suggested find a tuning shop that may have spare parts from other cars, or maybe even purchase a used/bad turbo online and remove the specific part that you need.

3. Depending on the exact method of function of the wastegate, i.e. pressure actuated, electronically actuated, etc, you may be able to do some maintenance on it and get it working again.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Yeah from my research some people I guess have had success from applying a high temp anti seize to the pivot point. Otherwise even though VW doesn't sell the actuator on its own, the OEM supplier is Mahle and you can buy them. That should be cheaper than a used turbo anyway.

As far as going back to stock, it's an APR tune, and the nearest APR dealer is in Chicago which is a couple hours away. It's possible to take it back there, but it's gonna be a hassle. I should have gotten one you can flash at home, but I wanted someone to install my downpipe, so I figured I might as well get their tune too since it works out to be cheaper.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 14, 2021

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

On my lunch break, went under the hood and put my hand on the actuator. Either I'm weak and wasn't pushing/pulling hard enough or it's definitely seized right there. I get it's easy to say the tune put it out of spec, but I feel like software isn't going to cause corrosion or whatever. I don't know if the dealer techs even checked that. :shrug:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Call VWoA. If they determine it to be a manufacturing defect they may pay for it.
The thing is it has to be the customer that calls and starts the process the dealer can't do anything about it until you open a case with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You're probably not going to be able to move it by hand even if it weren't seized.