Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Brian herbert actually wrote a couple of books that are, not great, but are at least entertainingly odd before he turned his attention to his father's cadaver

and that is all we can ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I might be done with Children. I'm just not taking any of it in. Or I just need to take a break from Dune material, which is what I'll try.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel in the end it probably came down to kevin j anderson living exactly in the center of the venn diagram of "will not say no to any idea, no matter how inane" "works for cheap" "cranks that slop out"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel in the end it probably came down to kevin j anderson living exactly in the center of the venn diagram of "will not say no to any idea, no matter how inane" "works for cheap" "cranks that slop out"

in the end it doesn't even matter

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I enjoyed this post.
Anyway, time-travelling Nazis communing with the dead in order to construct arcane technology sounds like one of the better Hellboy stories.

That's basically Charles Stross's Laundry series. Not bad once you get past the narrator reading like a circa 1999 Slashdot poster... Stross tends to stumble back and forth across the line dividing "taking the piss out of genres" and "I earnestly think this is super neat"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tree Bucket posted:

I enjoyed this post.
Anyway, time-travelling Nazis communing with the dead in order to construct arcane technology sounds like one of the better Hellboy stories.

That was literally the reason Hellboy exists. Time traveling wizard brings forth a demon, for the Nazis. Then he ate pam-cakes

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

sebmojo posted:

Brian herbert actually wrote a couple of books that are, not great, but are at least entertainingly odd before he turned his attention to his father's cadaver

I believe that I read both 'Paul of Dune' and 'Dune: House Atreides'. While not as good as the original six.....I feel like neither was all that bad. It would be funny if they attempted to shoehorn some 'Paul of Dune' stuff into the second film.....since it takes place in between 'Dune' and 'Dune Messiah'.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I believe that I read both 'Paul of Dune' and 'Dune: House Atreides'. While not as good as the original six.....I feel like neither was all that bad. It would be funny if they attempted to shoehorn some 'Paul of Dune' stuff into the second film.....since it takes place in between 'Dune' and 'Dune Messiah'.

I believe you read that too

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

My Lovely Horse posted:

I might be done with Children. I'm just not taking any of it in. Or I just need to take a break from Dune material, which is what I'll try.

the laser tiger plot? yeah it doesnt work out (they hide in rocks)

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 4, 2021

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

RestingB1tchFace posted:

:mods:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

they laser tiger

Why do people keep saying this? Laza is the name of a few places in Eastern Europe and Spain, including a river in Romania.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I believe you read that too

I don't, I refuse to believe there's actually a book called "Paul of Dune".

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

it does sound like a children's book...

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Ten years from now we'll all still be posting in this thread, refusing to believe in titles like The Guy On The Arrakeen Troop Assembly Field That Said "You Scrub Your rear end With Sand"... of Dune.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Ten years from now we'll all still be posting in this thread, refusing to believe in titles like The Guy On The Arrakeen Troop Assembly Field That Said "You Scrub Your rear end With Sand"... of Dune.

is this a good or bad thing?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Janitors of Dune featuring Shadout Mapes

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Janitors of Dune featuring Shadout Mapes

scrub without rhythm

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's not a good name.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paul of Dune is one of the few I know about - they have Paul traveling off Caladan a bunch even though Dune says the trip to Arrakis was his first time off planet. So they made Dune less canon than the new books.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Paul of Dune is one of the few I know about - they have Paul traveling off Caladan a bunch even though Dune says the trip to Arrakis was his first time off planet. So they made Dune less canon than the new books.

so... it is a children's book?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuschia tude posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Laza is the name of a few places in Eastern Europe and Spain, including a river in Romania.

Tigers with fricken laser beams

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The entire book is spent setting up these tigers and the kids just hide in some rocks thwarting the entire plot. maybe they should have had lasers

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The entire book is spent setting up these tigers and the kids just hide in some rocks thwarting the entire plot. maybe they should have had lasers

I've only chewed through Children of Dune once, but.. didn't they? Wasn't the bad guys' plot to use laser guided tigers? All I remember from that book is Ghost Vlad being mean to Alia, Leto II rolling in sand, and weaponised tigers.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the lynchpin of the plot was training the tigers to kill little kids in the atreides uniforms... or maybe it was giving them the uniforms? i dont remember

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

the lynchpin of the plot was training the tigers to kill little kids in the atreides uniforms... or maybe it was giving them the uniforms? i dont remember

By pointing a laser at the children, right? Wasn't there an old Sardaukar with a laser pointer rig thing?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I dont think so, I only call them laser tigers because Laza is inferior to lasers

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Next you're telling me that Mandela didn't die in prison. I'm so confused.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
We call them laser tigers because the actual plan was so loving stupid its conception might as well just have been the laser shark scene from Austin powers.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Then I've been lying to my Dune-curious friend, because I honestly remembered them having to coerce the tigers into attacking by pointing a laser at their target, like house cats.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Unless I had the exact same false memory, there is definitely something in the book about the trainer using some kind of electronic interface to either view or outright control the laza tigers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He had a remote control yeah

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Since it's fresh in recent memory, the trainer has a control interface, but the tigers are also trained to hunt specifically a pair of kids in specific garments, and part of the plan is to gift the Atreides kids a pair of those garments, in the Atreides style to pass them off as a legit gift. I think I was just at a bit where someone says something like "we've checked all the ways this gift could be a trap and we've got nothing, I guess we have to accept it"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's basically Charles Stross's Laundry series. Not bad once you get past the narrator reading like a circa 1999 Slashdot poster... Stross tends to stumble back and forth across the line dividing "taking the piss out of genres" and "I earnestly think this is super neat"

Most of the books are fun, even if he's taking tropes and either turning them up to eleven (the space elves) or taking the piss (vampires). And the one book where they actually visit a time-line where Nazis won, well... It's a novel take on that idea, as far as I know.

That said, they're mostly like...Spy novels? Adventure novels? instead of grandiose epic stuff like DUNC.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
There are no actual lasers involved in the tiger plot. We call them LAZER tigers because it's cool and stuff

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Well I'll probably never read Children again, so in my headcanon they really did use laser guided cats for their assassination plot.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
those twins are creepy AF and I hate them. was rooting for the laser tigers even though i knew

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

pnumoman posted:

There are no actual lasers involved in the tiger plot. We call them LAZER tigers because it's cool and stuff
This is the kind of thing that makes me worry how God Emperor will live up to its reputation

you'll tell me he's not actually a worm next

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
well then you probably don't want to know the real story about how Leto "discovered" that sand trout would stick to his body

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Did you know, Dear Moneo, that when I was a child I was set upon by remote-controlled tigers? If I recall this was after my sister and I had considered incest

Yes, lord said Moneo, inching towards the door
Moneo could see the worm was close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

those twins are creepy AF and I hate them. was rooting for the laser tigers even though i knew

It's kinda funny how the girl twin seemed to be more on the ball than Leto and more active, then was largely just forgotten for the rest of the books.