Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I'd like to read more about that scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

roomtone posted:

they should do a movie narrated by ghost paulie. paranormal spooky poo poo.

He should turn up at a seance

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean couldn’t they just have a character in the movie narrate? I don’t think having a returning cast member actually adds anything other than, I know that character

It feels like something the creators knew was risky but they talked themselves into doing it anyway.

Yeah if the movie needed a voiceover to assist the narrative or to evoke other celebrated gangster movies or whatever it may have been better to choose a character from this movie, maybe someone tangential to the story but present for some of the events. And for subtlety, someone having no knowledge of a future The Sopranos saga.
:ghost:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mike N Eich posted:

Another odd thing strangely omitted from the film : I guess Dickie wasn’t an addict after all? A pivotal scene in the Sopranos is when Christopher reveals to Tony that his father was just another junkie like him, which doesn’t appear to be the case at all.

Unless we’re talking about an addiction to murderous rages.

Well at least he was a alcoholic, judging by the amount of hard liquor he was downing in the alleyways between the houses/ Perhaps that wouldn't count to a mob guy though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Haven’t watched Sopranos in years but just finished the movie.

Was I supposed to be for or against Harold?? I went the whole movie thinking he was the Bad Guy, but then read someone say he wasn’t. What I expected to happen was for Tony to kill him as revenge because he thought he killed Dickie. I don’t remember if the show ever talked about Tony’s first kill. It really seems like they at least set that up as a sequel.

Also, who was the actual shooter?

I spent way too long with the movie paused in the first half hour trying to look up family trees because it all makes no sense to me. Eventually I gave up and just accepted it.

night slime
May 14, 2014

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Random, but my favorite line of the movie: tony: “ah cool man, a hamburger” the delivery kills me.

Missed opportunity for narrator Christopher to say "you'd be eating lots of those later you fat gently caress"

I noticed tony is playing with the dog they give away later. Also, I think Johnnny drops Tony off with the Frank Sinatra Jr tickets and goes to the racetrack that he always went to with Fran Felstein?

night slime fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 4, 2021

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Was I supposed to be for or against Harold?? I went the whole movie thinking he was the Bad Guy, but then read someone say he wasn’t. What I expected to happen was for Tony to kill him as revenge because he thought he killed Dickie. I don’t remember if the show ever talked about Tony’s first kill. It really seems like they at least set that up as a sequel.

I spent way too long with the movie paused in the first half hour trying to look up family trees because it all makes no sense to me. Eventually I gave up and just accepted it.

Tony's first kill is a black bookie named Willy Overall or something. Paulie and Tony talk about it in Remember When

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tony's first kill is a black bookie named Willy Overall or something. Paulie and Tony talk about it in Remember When

and presumably there's some relation to leon overall, who's killed in this movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One bit that cracked me up was the army recruiter throwing his hands up and going,"THIS WAR WASN'T MY IDEA!" :lol:

It's not quite "We're with the Cobras!" but it's still good stuff :)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

It seemed to me like the movie wanted me to root for Harold, which :chloe:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Some thoughts on the movie:

Not nearly as bad as some of the trailers made it out to be but not great either. Some really good parts, but very uneven and unfocused on the whole. It feels like three or four stories running in parallel that don't really have much to do with each other besides featuring some of the same characters, which in itself might not be a problem but here none of them have room to breathe. The race riots and the stuff with Harold could have been interesting, but it all gets shoved to the background after the timeskip and barely gets any resolution. I get the desire to focus on the Tony/Dickie relationship in the latter half of the movie - and maybe that part got played up more when they realised that Michael Gandolfini really can carry the role so well - but it kind of doesn't come together as a whole.

Most of the main cast is great. Gandolfini really does work as young Tony, which is a huge relief. Alessandro Nivola and Vera Farmiga especially do some very, very good work too. Ray Liotta playing two characters is a bit silly, but I can't blame them for wanting their money's worth of Liotta. On the other hand, the Guys are honestly pretty bad. The actor who plays Pussy is fine (though he's barely in the movie at all), but Paulie I didn't really like, and Sil is just a cartoon character. It's like a Van-Zandt-does-Al-Pacino level of caricature. He and his comb-over got a laugh out of me in the first scene he was in, but then he ends up getting the most screen time out of the three and his shtick wears out its welcome very fast. Johnny Boy was a bit distracting too, not because the actor does a bad job but just because he's so different from what we saw on the show.

Junior didn't really work for me either, I feel like he was made the butt of the movie's jokes a few too many times. Junior is pathetic, but he's very proud too, and Dominic Chianese strikes a very specific balance between the two that I think is what makes the character work so well on the show. Corey Stoll doesn't quite find that same sweetspot, and it could be intentional that he just was more of a dweeb in his younger years and only got that crotchety edge with age, but it still didn't sit right with me. However, the reveal that he was behind Dickie's killing, and for such a petty reason, is a great choice. (I had always suspected Tony was just bullshitting Chris with that cop story, so it's nice to see that confirmed too.) Still, considering he's such a pivotal part of how things end up going, I wish the rest of the movie had done him justice too.

References to the show were expected, and I guess I would have been disappointed if I didn't get my varsity athletes and your sister's cunts, but some of those were really forced in there. The beehive shooting felt out of place, and the varsity athlete line was completely different from how it's played in the show - Tony was supposed to be so hurt by that comment that he still remembers it 30 years later, but here he doesn't even react to it, and the way Junior says it it's not even clear if he heard it.

Overall though, even if the movie is a bit shaky on its own, I don't think it takes anything away from the show, and what it adds is good stuff. On my next rewatch I can think about gold ingots and hamburgers when Tony is fighting with Livia and about Elavil and pinky swears when Chris is badmouthing Dickie to Tony, and that just deepens the emotional background of the show.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheBuilder posted:

I'd like to read more about that scenario.

It's not that interesting of a story. My grampa was teaching me how to shoot, and on the way back he dared me to shoot a stop sign from his pickup. I was six or seven at the time, so I can't say exactly how long my ears were ringing, but I'm not deaf now and I don't recall it being all that bad.

It might've actually still been the corrupt cop who got Dickie. we never seen the dude, and junior probably would've wanted someone outside the family to take out another capo.

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not that interesting of a story. My grampa was teaching me how to shoot, and on the way back he dared me to shoot a stop sign from his pickup. I was six or seven at the time, so I can't say exactly how long my ears were ringing, but I'm not deaf now and I don't recall it being all that bad.

It might've actually still been the corrupt cop who got Dickie. we never seen the dude, and junior probably would've wanted someone outside the family to take out another capo.

I disagree, being short doesn’t make a story boring dude. That’s a great loving story that tells me a lot of things about you, your grandpa and your relationship with him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Was all ready to watch last night but gf got asked to be on some stupid committee and they had a meeting that wasn't over til nearly 10 and I had work today soooo looking forward to kicking back tonight and seeing it finally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheBuilder posted:

I assume the POV for the movie is the ghost of Christopher who relays the story with the omnipotence of the afterlife. (Unless we consider he pieces it together from stories he was told after the fact, which wouldn't make any sense with several scenes)

Oh, he's got time to narrate what with losing at dice to the Irish for all eternity?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the opening as they pan over all the graves you hear voices and stuff. And we join Christopher’s mid conversation. I took it to mean that you’re constantly talking about one thing or another when dead.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They should have CGI’d 55 year old Michael Imperioli onto baby Christopher like that one Livia scene.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

In the opening as they pan over all the graves you hear voices and stuff. And we join Christopher’s mid conversation. I took it to mean that you’re constantly talking about one thing or another when dead.

I also thought we would get a post credit scene that the grave being dug in the background was Tony's, but Christopher's grave looks a little aged and they died not too far apart in retrospective.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

I sort of like the implication that Christopher knew/learned more about father’s death than what Tony told him about the cop (either before or after death). Before death is definitely more interesting, but most of the scenes in the movie are things that no other characters would know, so maybe Dickie and Chrissy chatted in the Irish bar.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

stev posted:

I get that, and I don't think incorporating Christopher was in itself a bad idea - but having him explicitly be a ghost retelling events that he wasn't present for and didn't know about felt really odd. Especially when he's quipping about how Tony killed him and how he's in hell.

I feel Chrissy thoroughly addressed these kinds of objections back in season three
https://youtu.be/p46BVoZnb10?t=185

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imperioli being an extremely arrogant jerk kinda soured me on hearing his voice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Imperioli being an extremely arrogant jerk kinda soured me on hearing his voice.

Is that a thing? I gave up on his podcast extremely quickly but mostly because of Steve Shirripa being entirely insufferable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

He's not arrogant, as far as I can comment from not knowing the man and just listening to the podcast. Unless he chose Schirippa specifically to make himself look smart by comparison because he is a little out there himself as opposed to Steve who seems like a nice, average guy but pretty dense overall.

I know most have seen it already and I've been spoiled on it too but still kinda spoilery to mention his involvement

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

It occurs to me that Season 6 of The Sopranos needs that Twin Peaks Season 2 chart that shows which episodes are worth watching and which are skippable. I've only seen S6 once, and the other seasons two or three times. I'd consider S6 again but skip half of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

It occurs to me that Season 6 of The Sopranos needs that Twin Peaks Season 2 chart that shows which episodes are worth watching and which are skippable. I've only seen S6 once, and the other seasons two or three times. I'd consider S6 again but skip half of it.

S6 is the best season tho

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

S6 isn't very much fun but it is good and important. Except for anything involving vito

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Unbelievably horrible post

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can skip most the Vito stuff it’s just kind of boring.

Well except the first scene after he comes out and he realizes he is actually really good at antiquing.

Because he’s gay you see?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think season 6 is fabulous but can definitely understand why people feel mixed about it. It’s a real Bad Time.

I wonder how people would feel about it if it was clearly broken up into season 6 and season 7, instead of the weird 6a, 6b thing they did (which I believe was a way by production to avoid paying a lot of the actors salaries)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
David Chase still refers to them as season six and season seven.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stev posted:

S6 is the best season tho

Actually I take it back, the Cleaver stuff is terrible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Much like a child, a film has many parents.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think it being two seasons woukd change to much. Like I have problems with some of the sub plots but I don’t think a new season would change them much.

Unless they get more episodes then maybe the gang war would get more time to breathe

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't mind much about the gang war except its very bizarre for Butchie to say "it's gone too far, maybe we should [parlay]" to Phil when they literally have suffered zero losses and have nearly wiped out the leadership of the New Jersey group. It's like there was maybe a few scenes written with some New York guys getting whacked but never shot or cut.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stev posted:

Is that a thing? I gave up on his podcast extremely quickly but mostly because of Steve Shirripa being entirely insufferable.

After being at the Sopranos Con and talking with the guys who organized the thing, I had a different impression of the actors.

codo27 posted:

He's not arrogant, as far as I can comment from not knowing the man and just listening to the podcast. Unless he chose Schirippa specifically to make himself look smart by comparison because he is a little out there himself as opposed to Steve who seems like a nice, average guy but pretty dense overall.

I know most have seen it already and I've been spoiled on it too but still kinda spoilery to mention his involvement

Unfortunately, he has a bit of an ego and wouldn't show up at the convention because he didn't have complete artistic control over it.

This guy tho! He's the best. Would talk to him about the jacket 10/10

Peter Daou Zen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 4, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Proval demonstrate a fake punch for you too?

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did Proval demonstrate a fake punch for you too?

No Al Sapienza did tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't mind much about the gang war except its very bizarre for Butchie to say "it's gone too far, maybe we should [parlay]" to Phil when they literally have suffered zero losses and have nearly wiped out the leadership of the New Jersey group. It's like there was maybe a few scenes written with some New York guys getting whacked but never shot or cut.

That’s my main problem, they want to present it a vicious war but it’s just Tony loving up and getting owned?

Plus these guys were the ones wanting the war. Which is a fine plot point in that they get cold feet when suffering actual consequences but it never happens

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Butchie is saying that out of sheer frustration that Phil has abandoned them all to go hide, and they are taking orders from a leader in absentia. Atleast Tony stayed with his guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

What did do? He seems nice enough.