Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
She's part Metroid which is why she can't use the ice beam directly and uses ice missiles and also why the SAX using the ice beam kills her pretty much instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Araxxor posted:

For the mutant Samus is by the end of Fusion, X isn't part of it. Maybe, assuming the SA-X didn't save her during the events of Dread somehow.

I replayed the GBA games recently and had a blast with them. I really can't wait for the new Metroid. I think I enjoyed Zero Mission of the two more though. The player physics just felt so much better than in Fusion (Jumping slows you down there, going into Morph Ball is kinda slow, and Wall Jumping is so much more restrictive to prevent sequence breaks) and the more freeform structure I find suits Metroid gameplay so much better.

That being said I appreciate just how useful your upgrades constantly were in Fusion where in Zero Mission, quite a few aren't that great. Charge Beam in ZM isn't really that useful and Missiles are pretty much the way to go, especially Supers. Power Bombs are neat, but by the time you get them, you have nothing to use them on other than getting more Power Bombs for 100%.

That’s definitely the worst thing about Zero Mission. Getting 100% is super annoying. Samus Returns has like a handful of items that require the baby (the baby) but they are all very close to warp points so maybe they’ve learned their lesson?

The movement in Fusion is very tight, to the point of feeling extremely stiff, but I never felt it was detrimental to the game as a whole.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Veotax posted:

This is cool and I had no idea it existed, there was a Metroid CYOA / singleplayer pen & paper RPG released in Japan after the original game came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXwEgDjozQI

Translated digital version that automatically does the pen & paper stuff for you
This is amazing, right down to the first appearance of mutated metroids and swashbuckling swordfighting sexist space pirates.

Really interesting interpretation of Metroid's suit as a fabric jumpsuit with only a few bits of hard armor. Also, that broken spine.

Araxxor posted:

For the mutant Samus is by the end of Fusion, X isn't part of it.
She absorbed the SA-X in fusion and regained her ability to use the ice beam, but who knows what that means for her DNA.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The United States posted:

She absorbed the SA-X in fusion and regained her ability to use the ice beam, but who knows what that means for her DNA.

I always interpreted it as absorbing the SA-X gave her back enough of her original DNA that it "diluted" the Metroid DNA enough to allow her to use the Ice Beam without any negative effects.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it probably 'stabilized' her dna to some degree. i mostly hope the metroid dna part is still relevant in a cool way instead of just being discarded, i guess.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it probably 'stabilized' her dna to some degree. i mostly hope the metroid dna part is still relevant in a cool way instead of just being discarded, i guess.

Grapple Voltage, only you're using the signature Metroid energy drain.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Johnny Joestar posted:

Entirely unmentioned except for the ending pinups where she's a weird Predator-mouthed space vampire.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So that's where Samus in a cloak comes from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wL52BE2Po

Elfface posted:

Entirely unmentioned except for the ending pinups where she's a weird Predator-mouthed space vampire.

BisbyWorl posted:

Grapple Voltage, only you're using the signature Metroid energy drain.
Reupping Vampire Samus art for October

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 3, 2021

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm not convinced that her being unable to use the ice beam upgrade was ever an actual issue, remember that the federation was actively trying to keep her as weak as possible during that whole thing so lying to her about what upgrades she could get wouldn't be out of the question.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Johnny Joestar posted:

no i want samus to retire happily :smith:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eopia posted:

I'm not convinced that her being unable to use the ice beam upgrade was ever an actual issue, remember that the federation was actively trying to keep her as weak as possible during that whole thing so lying to her about what upgrades she could get wouldn't be out of the question.

given that the ice beam literally froze her when used on her by the sa-x i don't think anything was being exaggerated or lied about in that scenario

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I beat Super Metroid for the first time last night. I've only made to to Maridia before. That pipe you have to super bomb stumped me last time. I'm glad to have finally done it, great feeling :)

Time 5:16
Items: 61%
Animals: Saved

I had seen the ending before courtesy of watching a roommate play through it a few years ago but it was still a total rush when playing through it myself. I'm so hyped for Dread!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lady Radia posted:

Happy retirement for Samus is a nice quiet planet with lots of space pirates to shoot

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Radia posted:

Retirement is when she stops losing her suit powerups and can just enjoy what she's earned (while she slaughters the populations of a few more planets).

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

as soon as i saw the giant-rear end pipe in the Metroid Dread trailers i started smiling because i knew what was going to happen to that pipe.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
For whatever reason I haven't watched a single trailer after the initial reveal and even looked away from the screen during the last Direct when it showed Dread stuff, I don't know why but I want to go into this completely spoiler free (well, mostly, I did hear that Kraid is in it but that isn't a big deal). I'm kind of excited since I haven't done that with a game in a long time.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eopia posted:

I think there's part of the game that has her get really damaged just by going in a cold room. So having something cold as part of the metallic remains of her suit would probably hurt her hand / arm alot too. Frost bitten fingers at worst, maybe. But I imagine it would be an issue if she kept it on long term. Thematically, anyway.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hrist posted:

I think there's part of the game that has her get really damaged just by going in a cold room. So having something cold as part of the metallic remains of her suit would probably hurt her hand / arm alot too. Frost bitten fingers at worst, maybe. But I imagine it would be an issue if she kept it on long term. Thematically, anyway.

Yes, the extreme cold in rooms found in Fusion affected her due to being injected with Metroid DNA, with which the Varia suit helped. It's the opposite to the usual exteme heat damage/protection from other Metroid games.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

There were also the giant blue X that froze themselves and would actively seek Samus out, so that Samus would absorb them and get frozen from the inside.

At least until you got the Varia Suit and then they quickly realized that the trick wouldn’t work anymore.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Johnny Joestar posted:

given that the ice beam literally froze her when used on her by the sa-x i don't think anything was being exaggerated or lied about in that scenario

I meant her inability to use the ice beam, not being weak against it when used against her, especially once she had the Varia suit back and no longer had a weakness to cold.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I'm replaying Metroid Fusion in advance of Dread and it's either a lot harder than I remember or I'm now an old man who's bad at games. Some of these bosses are messing me up.

I'm also ashamed to report that in my last run through Super Metroid, one of my all-time favorites that I have played through at least once a year since 1994, I was 3 missile packs short of 100%. :negative:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
97%? bounty hunter license revoked!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A fun first-timer playthrough of Super Metroid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbOKZIzKN0

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Now that I think about it I've never gotten 100% in Super Metroid, I always end with every energy/sub tank, and 50 super missiles and power bombs, so it's always missile tanks that prevent me from getting 100%. I feel like I've even gone through every room in the game with the X-Ray Scope and still never gotten everything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I only got 100 percent in samus returns (cuz it was easy to do) and fusion (cuz 13 year old me had infinite time and patience for it). Its never neccesary to beat the game so i dont see the point usually

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
100% is more of a side thing because generally you get flooded with Missiles and such that running out is never really a threat as long as you grab a good portion of them.

Eopia posted:

I think it was more they were interested in saving the station at first, and that plan quickly went to poo poo, cause they were trying to power her up and developed the Plasma Beam for her to fight back against the SA-X. Then at some point the idea of trying to control the SA-X (as suicidal as it was) came to them and they started withholding poo poo when they realized Samus would ruin that plan. Samus just got the rest of the upgrades through the Core-X despite their efforts to foil that. There was basically nothing left to save at that point anyways.

Not saying they weren't being shady from the beginning given the whole developing Metroids for "peaceful purposes" aspect for one.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now that I think about it I've never gotten 100% in Super Metroid, I always end with every energy/sub tank, and 50 super missiles and power bombs, so it's always missile tanks that prevent me from getting 100%. I feel like I've even gone through every room in the game with the X-Ray Scope and still never gotten everything.

i can think of a few scenarios where the x-ray visor and power bombs wouldnt save you and neither would any natural suggestions from the map or environment

a blind 100% super metroid odyssey is exclusively for lost souls

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Spoiler clips if you want to look at them, knock yourself out

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/q09ktr/leaked_metroid_dread_clips/

Gonna say that Samus speaking the chozo language owns

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bye goons see you on the safer side of two weeks

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Twelve by Pies posted:

I never 100% Super Metroid until years later when I finally look at a map to see where the missiles were that I always missed. Sweeping the X-ray scope across every screen is definitely Metroid's "burn every bush" moment.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think I've ever broken the 75% completion mark on a Metroid game. And why the hell should I?!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The United States posted:

Spoiler clips if you want to look at them, knock yourself out

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/q09ktr/leaked_metroid_dread_clips/

Gonna say that Samus speaking the chozo language owns

They all just got obliterated by ToS cops.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

stev posted:

I don't think I've ever broken the 75% completion mark on a Metroid game. And why the hell should I?!

Starting with Fusion they started giving you different ending screens based on your completion percentage, like under three hours with 100% gives you a different one than under three hours with less than that. There's also different endings for low completion percentages too.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I always end up doing a 100% run on a separate file, because Metroid games are balanced in a way that getting more than about 40% items just increases the degree to which you can absolutely clown on the final boss, which I find can be a little anticlimatic. Once I've beaten the game once, collecting everything and fighting them again in Full Clown Mode is a lot of fun.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Raylax posted:

I always end up doing a 100% run on a separate file, because Metroid games are balanced in a way that getting more than about 40% items just increases the degree to which you can absolutely clown on the final boss, which I find can be a little anticlimatic. Once I've beaten the game once, collecting everything and fighting them again in Full Clown Mode is a lot of fun.

same here.

i'm about to replay Fusion and fuuuuuuck I hope Dread is good

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I'm the opposite, I go for 100% on my first run because absolutely destroying the bosses only drives home how powerful Samus is and that every space pirate must be an idiot for standing in her way.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The way the space pirate logs talk about Samus as this terrifying unstoppable force is one of many great things about the Prime games.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
That's true, but I also like the pirates, or at least the mad experiments they've been working on, to still be a credible threat. I can understand individual pirate soldiers being like "wow we are hosed if Samus gets in here", but if they've spent years developing an ultra phazon-infused omega pirate 3 times samus's size, I want to still feel like that thing's actually a credible threat. Samus is great when she's a badass but she's boring when she's untouchable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best pirate logs are in Echoes where they describe the pirates being pincered between Dark Samus, Real Samus, and the Ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m partial to the pirate log where they tried to recreate morph ball technology and horribly crushed and mangled the test subjects.