Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Adun posted:

Nothing is funnier than Texas A&M signing Jimbo Fisher to an un-necessary extension and then seeing him lose to Miss State

Jimbo’s agent knows the best time to negotiate is an inflationary economy with a tight labor market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Gameday always needs to be at the Shootout :colbert:

Not to besmirch the good name of the River River Shootout but this year just kinda feels :geno:

Though Texas fans may feel differently

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Vegas Insider says you can get Bama -14.5 vs A&M. That sounds like free money but what do I know.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

Not to besmirch the good name of the River River Shootout but this year just kinda feels :geno:

Though Texas fans may feel differently

Fully pumped.

Look you'd feel more psyched if you'd had your first loss by now. You know it, I know it, the players and coaches all know it, OU's ceiling is like 10-2 this year. Nothing wrong with that. We're probably an 8-4 team.

Now with that in mind, the Shootout's super important again! You might not make the Big 12 title game; this might be the biggest game of your year!

Just pretend you lost to Tulane

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

The frustration is that Georgia under Richt has felt so close to becoming elite, and yet Georgia feels so far. They're missing just one piece......

e: https://twitter.com/UKFootball/status/1444476408965656578

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2021

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Fully pumped.

Look you'd feel more psyched if you'd had your first loss by now. You know it, I know it, the players and coaches all know it, OU's ceiling is like 10-2 this year. Nothing wrong with that. We're probably an 8-4 team.

Now with that in mind, the Shootout's super important again! You might not make the Big 12 title game; this might be the biggest game of your year!

Just pretend you lost to Tulane

All not wrong other than while losing to Texas loving sucks, losing to the 'Pokes is unconscionable. Bedlam might be the biggest game, we'll see.

Of course it's in Stillwater this year

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Big ten with 5 teams in the top 11. Crazy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

btw I conjured this loss into existence by predicting this exact thing.

LeeMajors posted:

Looking forward to the UK logo on that trashcan when Kentucky dumps us this weekend.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 3, 2021

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Clemson isn't ranked in the AP poll for the first time in seven years. Nature is healing.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AP Poll out:
code:
Rank.   Team	    Previous Rank	Points
1	Alabama	          1	      1,541 [53]
2	Georgia	          2	      1,497 [9]
3	Iowa	          5	      1,381
4	Penn State        4	      1,360
5	Cincinnati        7	      1,320
6	Oklahoma          6	      1,248
7	Ohio State       11	      1,094
8	Oregon	          3	      1,069
9	Michigan         14	      1,053
10	BYU	         13	        990
11	Michigan State	 17	        852
12	Oklahoma State	 19	        749
13	Arkansas	  8	        745
14	Notre Dame	  9	        701
15	Coastal Carolina 16	        694
16	Kentucky	NEW	        662
17	Ole Miss	 12	        601
18	Auburn	         22	        448
19	Wake Forest	 24	        412
20	Florida	         10	        343
21	Texas	        NEW	        303
22	Arizona State	NEW	        297
23	NC State       	 23	        279
24	SMU	        NEW	        136
25	San Diego State	NEW	        111

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mizzou fired their DL coach. Which, well, sure. Ok. Don't think he's the whole problem but he didn't seem to be part of the solution.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1444732279524401158

In the end I think he's a fall guy here but whatever.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just read that so far this season Tennessee has scored almost as many points as we did all of last season (204 - 215)

God Pruitt was garbage

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

It's me, the guy who thought Pruitt's hardass routine was what the Vols needed after Butch's sloganeering but hoo boy

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
When Heupel’s poo poo works, it works well.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really think that Kirby wants to change. We saw that with going after Newman, then starting Mathis, then going to a more mobile Stetson, and then essentially becoming an air raid team once JT came back. But there is something amazing when you can just say "we are just going to run it on you, try to stop us" and just breaking your foe. At this point we know what Stetson is and his limitations, but we didn't need him to play hero. That won't last. I also wonder what is going on with JT; I know he took some big hits last year but he just seems like this season he has been made of glass.

E: Week 6 coaches poll

Top ten is silly, Kentucky shooting up to 14 to set up for a top 15/top 10 match up for UGA/Kentucky.

UK at 14 feels a bit too high but looking at everyone below them (and maybe even some above them) and, well, random slips of paper drawn from a hat might as well be used for a good chunk of the rankings right now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

KKKLIP ART posted:

AP Poll out:
code:
Rank.   Team	    Previous Rank	Points
1	Alabama	          1	      1,541 [53]
2	Georgia	          2	      1,497 [9]
3	Iowa	          5	      1,381
4	Penn State        4	      1,360
5	Cincinnati        7	      1,320
6	Oklahoma          6	      1,248
7	Ohio State       11	      1,094
8	Oregon	          3	      1,069
9	Michigan         14	      1,053
10	BYU	         13	        990
11	Michigan State	 17	        852
12	Oklahoma State	 19	        749
13	Arkansas	  8	        745
14	Notre Dame	  9	        701
15	Coastal Carolina 16	        694
16	Kentucky	NEW	        662
17	Ole Miss	 12	        601
18	Auburn	         22	        448
19	Wake Forest	 24	        412
20	Florida	         10	        343
21	Texas	        NEW	        303
22	Arizona State	NEW	        297
23	NC State       	 23	        279
24	SMU	        NEW	        136
25	San Diego State	NEW	        111

Oh hell yeah baby

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/jloose128/status/1444707011170557953

17 left.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oklahoma is going to win every game by 7 points or less, make it into the playoffs and get blasted.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oklahoma is going to win every game by 7 points or less, make it into the playoffs and get blasted.

I would settle for that!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i love this time of year, when the big ten has half of the top 10 and only one of those teams are in the east. can't wait for ohio state to make the playoffs, again

im thinking i should go see the illinois-northwestern game this year. last time i was at an illini game in champaign, they were down 56-3 at halftime to penn state. but last time i saw them play northwestern, they won (in evanston). should be a fun way to be bored

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ADavidHaleJoint/status/1444735832548651010?s=20

2015 BC went 3-9, because this is what their offense scored: 24, 76 (against a 1-win HBCU), 0, 17, 7, 0, 17, 14, 10, 8, 16, 17. Speaking of which, hello 2021 Clemson

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Roasted Donut posted:

PSU shut Indiana out for the first time since Michigan did it in 2000. That's a real long time.

The offense has a lot of warts still but has room for growth but the defense is a pleasure to watch. The total loving rock fight between #3 vs. #4 next week is going to be terrible and also bad rear end

How did an Antwaan Randel El led team get shut out? That dude might have been the single best offensive player in the conference for a couple of years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

mastershakeman posted:

i love this time of year, when the big ten has half of the top 10 and only one of those teams are in the east. can't wait for ohio state to make the playoffs, again

im thinking i should go see the illinois-northwestern game this year. last time i was at an illini game in champaign, they were down 56-3 at halftime to penn state. but last time i saw them play northwestern, they won (in evanston). should be a fun way to be bored

Hat games are fun even when especially when both teams are trash heaps

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

https://twitter.com/ADavidHaleJoint/status/1444735832548651010?s=20

2015 BC went 3-9, because this is what their offense scored: 24, 76 (against a 1-win HBCU), 0, 17, 7, 0, 17, 14, 10, 8, 16, 17. Speaking of which, hello 2021 Clemson

I just refuse to believe we are good. I mean, I know statistically we are rocking it, especially on defense, and our offense has enough question marks to make me concerned for teams with a defensive pulse... but it's fun. I love watching our defense play.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Winning a game off of pure luck isn't a good feeling when you're not an underdog

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers representing Miami is not how that works.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Okay, I'm going to explain this every week, but the map is a type of geographic analysis where each location (US counties) is colored by the nearest undefeated team. So Miami is actually geographical closer to coastal Carolina than Athens, GA.

This analysis makes a lot more sense when you're making a map of nearest hospitals or schools or whatever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Coastal Carolina Chanticleers representing Miami is not how that works.

It's such a huge troll to put the teams on an area map. It could be pinpoints but that wouldn't piss people off.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Komet posted:

Okay, I'm going to explain this every week, but the map is a type of geographic analysis where each location (US counties) is colored by the nearest undefeated team. So Miami is actually geographical closer to coastal Carolina than Athens, GA.

This analysis makes a lot more sense when you're making a map of nearest hospitals or schools or whatever
It's a quirk of the system and about the geography that we don't realize because the flat map is not the spherical* Earth.

*Oblate spheroid but you probably knew that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was wondering if Wyoming played San Diego State this year, so I looked at the Cowboys' schedule.

They're not going to be undefeated for long.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Auburn @ LSU was a really good football game. None of it was boring, every drive seemed to be impactful, it was a long chime from behind victory with a few wild plays here and there and a somewhat dramatic ending.

If you were an Auburn fan you felt bad the whole time, if you were an LSU fan you felt it slipping away from the second quarter. But if you don't have any skin in the game at all I think it was probably the most entertaining one last night

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

Winning a game off of pure luck isn't a good feeling when you're not an underdog

The best is when you do it multiple times throughout the year, fall rear end first into the playoffs, and proceed to get shut out. It's a popular big10 pastime.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Is it, though?

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Apparently replacing your oline and QB then having both positions hit with injuries is not a recipe for building on the great season last year. How the hell do you take a safety from the 11 yard line.

I’ll hope this year is a dud and the offense will be much improved next year, but even then we’ll probably lose Elko at some point and the defense will take a slide.

Yeah I want to give Calzada the benefit of the doubt but after that game, man, just the worst judgment I’ve ever seen. He actively screwed the rest of the team on drives that were meant to either get us back in the game or win a game.

Elko’s stock may have taken a hit with that game? Not sure. Seems like we brought him in because his teams are lights out against the run, but now that most teams are going spread/RPO we find ourselves down in the first half. With an offense like ours, we can’t expect to go down 14 and then grind it out, esp. against teams like Bama and Others

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
I have to be in college station for a few days and they literally put us up in an Army Themed hotel lol. Aggies are just the worst

(Actually kinda cool place but still lol)

molestrios fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 4, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

The spreads this week on the pick-em have so many away favorite traps.

ND -1.5 vs @Virginia, Michigan -3 vs @Nebraska - sure!

Want to bet against UGA and Bama covering? Not really!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I was thinking about it since saturday and I decided gently caress the kentucky wildcats!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm interested to see how Nebraska plays this week. Beating up a hapless Northwestern doesn't convince me of much.

Ehud posted:

I was thinking about it since saturday and I decided gently caress the kentucky wildcats!

13 points against Kentucky. I'm legitimately nervous that Georgia will end Florida's record consecutive games scoring streak.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OU opened -5 on Texas and the line quickly moved to -3.5

The only predictable thing about the Shootout is its unpredictability. With OU struggling in every game I've decided that the most surprising thing now would be for them to just kick the poo poo out us, so that's probably how it's gonna go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky is a favorite against LSU and I don't know what's real in this world any more. Gotta admit it feels pretty good.