Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes, Nero, the one emperor who is known for restoring Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If we wanna talk about hosed up religious fiction books why don't we just have fun making GBS threads on the Left Behind novels

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

Yes, Nero, the one emperor who is known for restoring Rome.

He found Rome a city of slums and left it a city of palaces.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Junpei posted:

If we wanna talk about hosed up religious fiction books why don't we just have fun making GBS threads on the Left Behind novels

They were pretty hosed up, and had the reins of American pop culture for a little while

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Inspector Hound posted:

They were pretty hosed up, and had the reins of American pop culture for a little while

their idea of the rapture literally still informs southern evangelism to this day

poo poo, their description of the rapture (and the idea of it, as is) was used wholly in This Is The End

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Red Baron posted:

their idea of the rapture literally still informs southern evangelism to this day

poo poo, their description of the rapture (and the idea of it, as is) was used wholly in This Is The End

I wasn't in that kind of church as a kid, but I was adjacent, and people totally believed that poo poo before the books, it was crazy

They were also way more open about saying it was going to be the gays and Jews left behind, it was pretty horrifying to a relatively liberal Methodist

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

just wondering who heard a grandfather clock chiming and went "yo this would be sick to remix"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

peace maintenance

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

yeah, Left Behind is a commercialization of 70s-80s revival-preacher tropes, which had percolated far enough into the collective brainworms to make them real marketable

I managed to avoid reading any of them, fortunately, but it wasn’t necessary given that I absorbed all that poo poo at Sunday school starting before my memories do

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

yeah, Left Behind is a commercialization of 70s-80s revival-preacher tropes, which had percolated far enough into the collective brainworms to make them real marketable

I managed to avoid reading any of them, fortunately, but it wasn’t necessary given that I absorbed all that poo poo at Sunday school starting before my memories do

It's loving dumb too, why would you want to be friends with a god that incinerates your friends or family because they had sex before marriage or did drugs or whatever, gently caress that, Jesus didn't say any of that stupid poo poo

vv I don't care if it's simplistic, the Kreider Jesus is the version I'm sticking with vv

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Oct 4, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

lol that bullshit won't work

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I started the first left behind book cause someone pitched it to me as a sci fi mystery

lol

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I'm glad I never read the Ender books growing up, the kind of kid I was they would have resonated in exactly the wrong way with and turned me into some awful ur-redditor. I picked up Vonnegut instead because that's what was in the house (thanks dad!)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

this is the first thing that popped in my head also

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
It's insane how on point mother night is

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

they will protect us from the terrible secret of space

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's best not to look up any sci-fi/fantasy authors whose works you liked as a child.

Just gonna quote this because I made that mistake.

I'll add to not return to the books themselves, either.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

it's best not to look up any sci-fi/fantasy authors whose works you liked as a child.

Frederik Pohl has still held up but Harlan Ellison's reputation wasn't just for show!

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
found this

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

indigi posted:

I didn’t miss them, I read them and the conclusion is that no, you didn’t have a monitor implanted in the base of your skull, nor did anyone implicitly announce to your bullies that protection had been withdrawn and you were now fair game. so your life was materially different to Ender’s.

This is called "being gay in a world full of bigots"

hth

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

PyPy posted:

found this

Now lose it again

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cool, I wonder how it handles vs. a bulldozer.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Heinlin was a seriously weird dude. Talk about sci-fi which has the potential to seriously warp a teenage reader if it’s taken seriously.

yeah, kid, sex and drugs are good also wouldn’t you like to be groomed by Lazarus Long, like he’s being encouraged to do to these teenagers in any one of half a dozen books?! he’s reluctant to that’s how you can tell that I’m—he’s a good person. also he’s in hell writing a book report.

e: most stuff which I can think of to try and work on that wall-dozer once it goes into action is the kind of poo poo which gets people shot

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

PyPy posted:

found this

Post the centerfold

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

LonsomeSon posted:

Heinlin was a seriously weird dude. Talk about sci-fi which has the potential to seriously warp a teenage reader if it’s taken seriously.

yeah, kid, sex and drugs are good also wouldn’t you like to be groomed by Lazarus Long, like he’s being encouraged to do to these teenagers in any one of half a dozen books?! he’s reluctant to that’s how you can tell that I’m—he’s a good person. also he’s in hell writing a book report.

e: most stuff which I can think of to try and work on that wall-dozer once it goes into action is the kind of poo poo which gets people shot

yeah if youre taking out the walldozer you want to stay clear of the sight lines from the people on top of the thing. Gotta hurl some poo poo over the top maybe

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

good news is that it’s built on basically a Bobcat, so an actual dozer of any kind ought to be a match

if this were France marches would have tractors on the scene, if you could get a chain around any element of that thing and just start hauling on it, anyone riding it is going to need to bail

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what did louis sachar do

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

i thought the bernie bros on here loved this guy

what gives

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

exmarx posted:

i thought the bernie bros on here loved this guy

what gives

There was a great schism. Check the Glenn Greenwald thread for the cult of those who still cling to the old dogma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is funny how the left and the right will immediately or eventually abandon figures who outlive their usefulness, while liberals will cling for years to people who were always useless because they've been taught that worthless puppets of capital are to be unconditionally adored and obeyed

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

BONGHITZ posted:

ender's brother posted so good they made him king of the humans

BONGHITZ posted:

his sister posted for like two thousand years, eternal poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!