Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lascivious Sloth posted:

It will have been three months between Pfizer shots for me when I can get my next. I hope that doesn't lose its effectiveness. I'll try and get a third a few months after as well.

In the UK they were originally doing a 3 week gap on Pfizer until a study found that a 12 week gap gave a much higher antibody response: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2021/05/covid-pfizer-vaccination-interval-antibody-response.aspx
They eventually rounded that down to an 8 week gap pretty much to speed up the vaxx rollout: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57929953

Australia was doing a 12 week gap on AstraZeneca because we thought we had loooooooooooads of time and weren't in any rush but then we started getting some serious outbreaks of the delta variant so the government suddenly cut the gap in half to speed things along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You can also book a Covid-19 Antibody Titer Test which measures your current level of antibodies if you're really worried your protection levels are dropping. I don't know where you are and what'd be available near you so you'd have to google to see who administers the test locally, or whether you can get a home/mail away test

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Thanks y'all. And if I got a third Pfizer, what's the recommended wait on that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Thanks y'all. And if I got a third Pfizer, what's the recommended wait on that?

Israel’s criterion is no earlier than five months.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I believe there has been some speculation that 21 days is too short, anyway, and the protection is a bit better spaced farther out. The extra week delay might be part of the reason why Moderna is showing better results in general.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

There aren't any studies that show this. Any studies that look at the the number of antibodies in an individual show an "equivalent" level over the long term, regardless of dose spacing. We don't have any information for less than 3 weeks or after 6 months because that hasn't really been studied.

You might be thinking of studies that examine resistance in populations as a whole, where given a limited vaccination supply and capacity, getting more first doses in people's arms leads to better outcomes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnson & Johnson’s dick graph has stiff competition

The article is hogwash. I just think we should all appreciate the æsthetics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Johnson & Johnson’s dick graph has stiff competition

The article is hogwash. I just think we should all appreciate the æsthetics.

Oh poo poo, the motherfuckin' Covid-19 Scenario Modeling Hub and their poo poo-tastic "scenarios". Let me just reach for my handy pre-written screeds about those dumbasses .....

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you click through to the COVID19 Scenario Modeling Hub website you can see their previous models overlaid with the subsequent real world data and their hit rate is absolute dog poo poo. They're remarkably bad.

They always predict that cases will drop away to zero fairly soon and at worst there might be a slight wave so if cases actually do drop off they get some fairly close fitting models, and they were doing well around the new year. The actual data mostly fell outside their 95% confidence level shaded area but they eventually caught up again after a few months:

Their models from February onwards, on the other had, completely poo poo the bed:

Basically it's pure dumb luck whether their models work out and they're absolutely incapable of accurately predicting an increase in cases

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

By the way if anyone was wondering why these chucklefucks got it so wrong, it was because almost all of them either underestimated the increased transmissability of delta or just plain ignored it:

If you separate out the models it turns out the team from the University of Southern California (actually just a lone Research Assistant Professor) got some pretty good fits:

The bad news is that dude's current models predict that cases will either level off around Xmas time and start increasing again or we'll get a new scary variant and get massively overrun. (Note how his 95% confidence level blue shaded area explodes out the top of the graph in scenarios C and D)

tl;dr: their models have a history of being incredibly wrong and massively over optimistic, and the one guy in the 'hub' that made some decent predictions that closely matched what eventually happened in the real world says bad poo poo is on the horizon

E: one of the other models used for the modeling hub 'scenarios' is from IHME research institute (who are funded by Bill Gates, the CDC, Saudi Arabia and others) who you might remember from these 2020 covid classic moments:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 3, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Millions of people in the UK and Canada had their second shot at twelve weeks and they’re doing great.

Or longer in the case of Canada. Some people were closer to four weeks and by all indications it seems fine.

There was no set interval, just a minimum of 3-4 weeks and a maximum of 16 due to supply and prioritizing first shots.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
We have all this gobbledygook but nothing matters more than getting your family vaccinated. I like that it also helps others.

naem
May 29, 2011

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

maybe I'm too hyper cynical, but there's probably going to be a massive spike in fake vac cards and other fake poo poo, and I hope the legal machine has reforge their hammer into an ax for these fakers.

Good.

Then we get throw chuds in jail instead of just firing them.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'll never forgive covid for convincing every loving moron in my life they're suddenly a biology genius who's opinions need to be heard by everyone.

On a daily basis I get these loving dipshits sidling up to me to drop their little truth bombs. One of my buddies, who use to be very reasonable has fallen down the youtube pipeline to alt-right. He's not a dummy, in his particular field he's very smart but he's never had any interest in biology or healthcare.
Now he's just full of these Just Asking Questions bullshit, and if I actually engage and answer it's automatically "oh so you seriously just trust the media/big pharma/government?". Accuses me of watching too much CNN. We're loving canadian I don't know anyone who watches CNN. Talking heads on youtube doesn't count as media and is 100% trustworthy with no ulterior motive, I guess.
Dude had a meltdown because he saw the word "equity" in some work materials. Must be one of their brainwash trigger words because he was so goddamn mad about the cultural marxists and the post-modernism blahblahblah it was about loving finances and had nothing to do with anything.

Of course he's real worried about what's in the vaccine, despite horking back literally any drug you put in front of him.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Good.

Then we get throw chuds in jail instead of just firing them.

yeah we definitely need to infect jails with covid on a worse level than they already are. come on dude.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Fattest PI posted:

Of course he's real worried about what's in the vaccine, despite horking back literally any drug you put in front of him.

When some of my cousin's raver friends were challenged on this apparent contradiction, the reply was simple, if they take a pill, they know what they're getting and it's out of their system after a couple of hours anyway. Very reasonable, sensible people, yes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Fattest PI posted:

I'll never forgive covid for convincing every loving moron in my life they're suddenly a biology genius who's opinions need to be heard by everyone.

On a daily basis I get these loving dipshits sidling up to me to drop their little truth bombs. One of my buddies, who use to be very reasonable has fallen down the youtube pipeline to alt-right. He's not a dummy, in his particular field he's very smart but he's never had any interest in biology or healthcare.
Now he's just full of these Just Asking Questions bullshit, and if I actually engage and answer it's automatically "oh so you seriously just trust the media/big pharma/government?". Accuses me of watching too much CNN. We're loving canadian I don't know anyone who watches CNN. Talking heads on youtube doesn't count as media and is 100% trustworthy with no ulterior motive, I guess.
Dude had a meltdown because he saw the word "equity" in some work materials. Must be one of their brainwash trigger words because he was so goddamn mad about the cultural marxists and the post-modernism blahblahblah it was about loving finances and had nothing to do with anything.

lol does he work in fin or banking? I hope the melt down happen in view of his boss and the boss said stfu and calm down and if you do that again you will be fired.

lol at not getting words have multiple meanings and stuff, but I guess thats all relative and a liberal claptrap.

e: drat I need to read better, it was in fin usage. what a drat moron.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
He is the dang boss haha

Just flipflops from being likeable and intelligent with progressive takes, to being straight up CHUD poo poo. The other day at work he came into my office and was complaining about some poo poo to do with COVID and restrictions, and I just made a glib comment intended to de-rail, but it got him going and I engaged against my better judgement. Wasn't angry, but it was heated. At one point we hear a voice from down the hall chime in with "at Nuremburg they executed people for putting foreign unknown substances in people's bodies"

Came from the one old guy who's great, usually, but just this giant slow plodding dude. Made for a great derail from the dumb argument we were having because I was like "yeah foreign substances like loving BULLETS". Then I just didn't let that go and tried drilling down into it because it makes a fantastic little one off facebook quip, where he obviously read it, but it's hilariously nonsensical. So now I just occasionally tie random poo poo into nuremburg/the holocaust with the same absurd reductionism.

"Oh you need me to fill out my timesheets for this week? Hm. They executed people in nuremburg for their well kept records you know"

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

The Fattest PI posted:

He is the dang boss haha

Just flipflops from being likeable and intelligent with progressive takes, to being straight up CHUD poo poo. The other day at work he came into my office and was complaining about some poo poo to do with COVID and restrictions, and I just made a glib comment intended to de-rail, but it got him going and I engaged against my better judgement. Wasn't angry, but it was heated. At one point we hear a voice from down the hall chime in with "at Nuremburg they executed people for putting foreign unknown substances in people's bodies"

Came from the one old guy who's great, usually, but just this giant slow plodding dude. Made for a great derail from the dumb argument we were having because I was like "yeah foreign substances like loving BULLETS". Then I just didn't let that go and tried drilling down into it because it makes a fantastic little one off facebook quip, where he obviously read it, but it's hilariously nonsensical. So now I just occasionally tie random poo poo into nuremburg/the holocaust with the same absurd reductionism.

"Oh you need me to fill out my timesheets for this week? Hm. They executed people in nuremburg for their well kept records you know"

I love hearing the stupid Nuremberg code argument. Why yes, enforcing a vaccine mandate/passport is the exact same thing as Dr Mengele injecting dye into people's eyeballs to see if they will turn blue.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
The "science" the nazis were doing included sewing people together to see what would happen. It's not an example of why science or scientists are bad, but an example of how the nazis were incompetent and sadistic. I think the "best" medical science data they produced from their experimentation was the hypothermia stuff, but it's still completely worthless because it didn't follow the scientific method at all. They just threw some random dudes in ice and started a stopwatch and then were like "whoaaaa it took 13 minutes for that guy to die, crazy. Grab another one"

I'm sure there's some data that could be achieved if you had zero worries about empathy or morality or ethics, but those loving idiots couldn't even get that right. Instead they were like "lets sew this dudes arm on that dude, then later maybe we can add russia to the list of countries to fight im sure we'll be done this whole war by winter we are extremely smart"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Fattest PI posted:

then later maybe we can add russia to the list of countries to fight im sure we'll be done this whole war by winter we are extremely smart"

Also don't bother making any winter clothing for our soldiers since that is just admitting we are not confident that we will win before it starts snowing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Vakal posted:

Also don't bother making any winter clothing for our soldiers since that is just admitting we are not confident that we will win before it starts snowing.

lmao I didn't know they were *that* stupid

"And we're not sending you any rations either boys we expect it all to be done by dinner"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

lmao I didn't know they were *that* stupid

"And we're not sending you any rations either boys we expect it all to be done by dinner"

Those snappy uniforms were fitted, inefficient to make, and awkward to wear, if memory serves. There were massive inefficiencies and style over substance in a lot of Nazi poo poo.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Those snappy uniforms were fitted, inefficient to make, and awkward to wear, if memory serves. There were massive inefficiencies and style over substance in a lot of Nazi poo poo.

And contained a lot of rayon (a synthetic fibre) which is not the best for cold/wet conditions.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And wool, which meant the nazis could be detected from far off by their stench.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Fattest PI posted:

The "science" the nazis were doing included sewing people together to see what would happen. It's not an example of why science or scientists are bad, but an example of how the nazis were incompetent and sadistic. I think the "best" medical science data they produced from their experimentation was the hypothermia stuff, but it's still completely worthless because it didn't follow the scientific method at all. They just threw some random dudes in ice and started a stopwatch and then were like "whoaaaa it took 13 minutes for that guy to die, crazy. Grab another one"

Not to mention they were doing this to starving prisoners, so their “findings” would never have been of great use to the world at large.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lots of caulk lovers in these forums for sure

There's also at least one completely brain dead idiot on this forum as well (username: Comfy Fleece Sweater) :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The covid thread has taken a dark turn :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mild can still be bad. Remember that study of college athletes? Young, healthy guys in the prime of their life and months after infection 15% of them had signs of heart injury.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...utm_term=091120

It's a worry if a cohort that should be among the very healthiest and lowest-risk Americans available has long term damage after covid. It was a small sample size so maybe it's just a coincidence or all those guys had some other factor in common. Maybe they were all snorting weasel dust to get through finals or something.

Sorry this was from a couple pages back, but I'm catching up with the thread. I've seen stuff like this about people showing signs of organ damage months after a covid infection a few times now. It sounds really bad, but one thing I haven't been able to figure out is if this is common to a lot of infections that cause inflammation through the whole body, high fever, and a big immune response. Does anyone happen to know how this compares to other common infections like flu, strep throat, encephalitis/meningitis, etc. that also cause a lot of inflammation?

When I get colds/flus I bounce back right in a week or two most of the time, but a couple times I remember feeling winded and fatigued and just couldn't exercise as hard for a few months after a bad flu. I'm not saying iT's JuSt ThE fLu!!! I'm just wondering if "long" symptoms to similar infections were already common, and we're finding it more now just because everyone is hyper-focused on studying anything/everything about covid, whereas flu, etc. are old news.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkYY2BW3xk

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Eat poo poo corporations I'm never going back!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Wendigee posted:

Eat poo poo corporations I'm never going back!

Joke's on them, I never started

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I really don't think this corporation is right for my Dad, I'm going to have him work from home.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Purchase posted:

Sorry this was from a couple pages back, but I'm catching up with the thread. I've seen stuff like this about people showing signs of organ damage months after a covid infection a few times now. It sounds really bad, but one thing I haven't been able to figure out is if this is common to a lot of infections that cause inflammation through the whole body, high fever, and a big immune response. Does anyone happen to know how this compares to other common infections like flu, strep throat, encephalitis/meningitis, etc. that also cause a lot of inflammation?

When I get colds/flus I bounce back right in a week or two most of the time, but a couple times I remember feeling winded and fatigued and just couldn't exercise as hard for a few months after a bad flu. I'm not saying iT's JuSt ThE fLu!!! I'm just wondering if "long" symptoms to similar infections were already common, and we're finding it more now just because everyone is hyper-focused on studying anything/everything about covid, whereas flu, etc. are old news.

Yeah, probably. I've had that same experience of a bad chest cold that lasts less than two weeks but leaves months of fatigue and nagging cough. My mom has had pneumonia a few times and each time leave long term (permanent?) lung damage.

My mom moved out of assisted living and in with me because her last year there she caught pneumonia twice. It was a reasonably nice place but the dining room packed them in like sardines and let obviously ill residents eat in the crowded dining room with everyone else despite that being against the rules. The place was like an elementary school with all the colds and stuff constantly blowing through. Picachu faces all around when covid started burning through care homes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've had pneumonia a bunch of times, so probably have some scarring, but my subjective experience was usually recovering pretty fast. It does make me nervous about covid, though.

I think the last time I felt recovery stretched out longer was my last bad case of the flu, I think H1N1, which took me out for like a week and took another week or two to feel normal again.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tunicate posted:

And wool, which meant the nazis could be detected from far off by their stench.

Everybody wore wool, everybody stank... don't know where you were going with this.

I heard that NZ was relaxing things, what % over there are double vaxxed?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cessna posted:

I've had my hands on originals, and they're sooooo bad. The smock is that canvas-y duck material. It does NOT breathe at all; it's like a canvas trash bag. So your Nazi soldier is wearing:

- a ribbed sleeveless ("wife beater") undershirt.
- a "service shirt." This is sort of like a cotton men's dress shirt, but thicker and longer - that is, it hangs down well below the waist.
- a wool "feldbluse." Scratchy thick wool.
- that canvas-duck smock.
- leather field gear and equipment.

It's a mess - way too hot in the summer, nowhere near enough to stay warm in the winter. Nothing is waterproof. It all smells like wet dog.* The WWII gear I'm most familiar with is US, and it is a generation ahead of the German crap.

* Sometimes you can read WWII memoirs where they talk about going out on patrol and finding Germans by smelling them. "I could just smell the Nazis." Before I did reenacting I thought this was an exaggeration, a soldier's hyperbole. Having done reenacting, it's totally legit. Get that wool uniform and leather field gear wet and it smells like wet dog. It's a really distinctive smell. I can easily imagine if you get a company of troopers wet, and add in tobacco and maybe a cooking fire and you could smell them hundreds of yards away.

The smock wasn't. The feldbluse was. I have never seen a WWII German feldbluse (the solid green/gray wool jackets) without some sort of tailoring.

If it means anything, they had unit tailors assigned as a section at the battalion level. Yes, this is insane.

(I always picture a battalion being overrun by T-34s while their sewing section commander yells "Sew faster, Hans! Faster!")

All of their stuff looks weird.

And the trousers - regular uniform trousers - were held up by their own suspenders, which needed unbuttoned as well.

Hey, if it means anything, their early-war paratroopers had it worse. Their Fallschirmjagers (paratroopers, and I'm too lazy to put the umlaut over the "a") were set up to jump from low altitudes. They wore a distinctive jumper-outfit over their gear, the idea being that it would keep their gear from snagging on anything parachute-related when they jumped.

Guess what? There's sort of a fly opening, but if you want to poop, you have to take off your entire uniform:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Clarification received. :tipshat:

Think the US marines wore jungle suit onesies in the Pacific for a time in WW2 as well.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I heard that NZ was relaxing things, what % over there are double vaxxed?

Come on, it was literally the first result for "new zealand covid vaccinations"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

It sounds really bad, but one thing I haven't been able to figure out is if this is common to a lot of infections that cause inflammation through the whole body, high fever, and a big immune response...

Yes. 14% of people with mono get hepatitis. It also causes myocarditis at some other rate. It's still bad but it's nothing new.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So we've been taking baby aspirin ever since early days. Good idea? Pointless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

So we've been taking baby aspirin ever since early days. Good idea? Pointless?

Might help, no real studies that I've seen but the mechanism is plausible